What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***official 11th pick thread*** (1 Viewer)

supernatural311

Footballguy
I didn't see anyone with this topic, so I started it. I have the 11th pick coming up in my 12 person standard draft. Doing some extensive mock drafts I haven't so much found a strategy that I like. Although the draft is unpredictable, going with a rb in the first means second tier. So I am faced playing catch up with the front end of the draft. Any thoughts on how to tackle the draft from this spot this year?

I have the 10th pick in a modified PPR league, and I am hoping (probably against hope) that everyone goes RB crazy and that Calvin somehow makes it to 10. Even if the RBs go, you should still be looking at a guy like Morris at # 11.

That's what I was thinking. If Calvin drops to me it would be a no brainer. I am leaning towards rb/wr or rb/rb. I like graham this year, but it seems that it throws off my draft as it goes on.

Here is my tip from the 11 spot I drafted from yesterday. Don't go WR-WR-WR-QB-WR-WR

You won't like the way it turns out

YWIA

I have the 11th pick in a 12 team non PPR, start 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1 Flex, K, DST. All TD's 6 points, 5 point bonuses for 100 or 300 yards. QB's traditionally go very fast in our league with the 6 point TD's.

With the projections for some of the big name QB's like Brady and Rodgers dropping due to losing weapons I think only a few will go high. Brees is far and away the #1 on my board, with Manning/Rodgers 2-3. Calvin will go for sure in the 5-7 range. No way he makes it to 11 in 99% of leagues after what he did last year, and knowing that he won't get tackled at the 1 six times this year. So I'm counting on a huge RB run + Calvin for sure. Somebody may take Brees or Rodgers but I'm not going to count on it. The following will be gone:

1) ADP

2) Foster

3) Charles (if injury isn't serious)

4) Martin

5) Calvin

So those 5 are gone for sure. Then it's a mix of the following - and they could go in any order in our league:

6) Spiller

7) Lynch

8) Richardson

9) Rice

10) McCoy

11) Morris

My guess is one of the guys is not going to to resist taking a QB, and it's too soon for the next wave of WR's like Bryan, Green, Jones, Marshall and Thomas, so I'm going to get left with somebody in that group above. I'm OK with that, although I'd less prefer McCoy/Rice. Hoping a Lynch/Richardson or Morris is there. But no real mystery for me - I'm taking the best available RB and unlike years past where this might have been a reach to take a RB this late in the first round it's not this year.

The real question, and what dictates the rest of the draft for me, is what to do in round 2. You could go another RB, likely what's left of Steven Jackson or Forte. Or you could go stud WR1 like Dez Bryant, who I have ranked 2. The tough decision for me will be if Brees is still sitting there - because to me he is far and away #1 on the board this year. But I'm likely not going there. Most likely looking at a Steven Jackson/Dez Bryant decision with the 14th pick. Serviceable QB's available much later, as are a group of 20-25 WR's who could all end up between 800-1000 yards and 6-8 TD's. I think you need a top 5 stud at at least 2 positions to win a SB. So a McCoy/Steven Jackson start, though solid, doesn't really inspire me. I would be very happy with a Lynch/Richardson/Morris + Bryant start. Then it's a matter of value in the middle rounds and hitting a homerun on big upside later. I really want Bryce Brown on my roster. And Ty Hilton.

To me the 3rd and 4th round picks are the most critical at the 11th spot this year. Can't afford to miss with those.

I have the 11th pick in a 12 team non PPR, start 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1 Flex, K, DST. All TD's 6 points, 5 point bonuses for 100 or 300 yards. QB's traditionally go very fast in our league with the 6 point TD's.

With the projections for some of the big name QB's like Brady and Rodgers dropping due to losing weapons I think only a few will go high. Brees is far and away the #1 on my board, with Manning/Rodgers 2-3. Calvin will go for sure in the 5-7 range. No way he makes it to 11 in 99% of leagues after what he did last year, and knowing that he won't get tackled at the 1 six times this year. So I'm counting on a huge RB run + Calvin for sure. Somebody may take Brees or Rodgers but I'm not going to count on it. The following will be gone:

1) ADP

2) Foster

4) Martin

5) Calvin

So those 5 are gone for sure. Then it's a mix of the following - and they could go in any order in our league:

6) Spiller

7) Lynch

8) Richardson

9) Rice

10) McCoy

11) Morris

My guess is one of the guys is not going to to resist taking a QB, and it's too soon for the next wave of WR's like Bryan, Green, Jones, Marshall and Thomas, so I'm going to get left with somebody in that group above. I'm OK with that, although I'd less prefer McCoy/Rice. Hoping a Lynch/Richardson or Morris is there. But no real mystery for me - I'm taking the best available RB and unlike years past where this might have been a reach to take a RB this late in the first round it's not this year.

The real question, and what dictates the rest of the draft for me, is what to do in round 2. You could go another RB, likely what's left of Steven Jackson or Forte. Or you could go stud WR1 like Dez Bryant, who I have ranked 2. The tough decision for me will be if Brees is still sitting there - because to me he is far and away #1 on the board this year. But I'm likely not going there. Most likely looking at a Steven Jackson/Dez Bryant decision with the 14th pick. Serviceable QB's available much later, as are a group of 20-25 WR's who could all end up between 800-1000 yards and 6-8 TD's. I think you need a top 5 stud at at least 2 positions to win a SB. So a McCoy/Steven Jackson start, though solid, doesn't really inspire me. I would be very happy with a Lynch/Richardson/Morris + Bryant start. Then it's a matter of value in the middle rounds and hitting a homerun on big upside later. I really want Bryce Brown on my roster. And Ty Hilton.

To me the 3rd and 4th round picks are the most critical at the 11th spot this year. Can't afford to miss with those.
you have steven Jackson over Chris Johnson? I think CJ has a big year. I understand going for the big Wrs in round 2 but I think the WRs that you can get in rounds 3/4 have better odds of cracking the top ten than the RBs you get in rounds 3/4. WR seem deep to me. just sayin

Here is my tip from the 11 spot I drafted from yesterday. Don't go WR-WR-WR-QB-WR-WR

You won't like the way it turns out

YWIA
Who did you draft?
Julio, Marshall, Amendola, Ryan, DJax, T Austin

I kept hating the RBs that dropped to me. Figured I could snag someone in rd 8 since I kept Graham in the 7th. Didn't work so great :bag:

No need to tell me about what a bad job I did and vbd and all that. I have been doing this a long time. Tried something out and it backfired. Now I just need to hope a free agent emerges and I bid right on the right guy.

need2know said:
Judge Smails said:

1) ADP

2) Foster

4) Martin

5) Calvin

6) Spiller

7) Lynch

8) Richardson

9) Rice

10) McCoy

11) Morris

you have steven Jackson over Chris Johnson? I think CJ has a big year. I understand going for the big Wrs in round 2 but I think the WRs that you can get in rounds 3/4 have better odds of cracking the top ten than the RBs you get in rounds 3/4. WR seem deep to me. just sayin
I could be underestimating Chris Johnson. But he's really put up some putrid, putrid games the past few years. Boom or bust, no consistency, and Greene now there for GL carries. Just don't love him. Jackson is undisputed #1 on a 10X better offense. Should score 12-15 TD's by default - if healthy.

I'm mostly ok with how my 11th spot PPR start 4 WR/TE combined team looks. Started WR/RB/WR/RB/RB through 5.

Basically waited one round too late and missed out on Kap, Luck or Romo, so I just waited through 2 more rounds and picked up value at WR.

Sproles falling to 4.02 was crazy awesome.

Disappointed all the WR tier I had targeted was gone by late 3rd (Roddy, Cruz, VJax).

Green/Forte/Bowe/Sproles/Vereen/J. Jones/V. Brown/Blackmon/Eli/Dalton/Olsen/Woodhead/M. Bush/Balt D/Bullock/Tannehill

If I could do it again knowing how the league would draft, would have grabbed Dez and AJ Green and been comfortable with Sproles and Vereen at RB with Woodhead as bye fillin.

I am finding the best rating for my mock's that I do for the 11 spot involve taking 2 wr's in the first three rounds, and 3 rb's in the first 5 rounds. A qb in the 6th round is usually where I take that position (Romo, Stafford if he falls, etc). You can get two pretty dang good wr's in the first three rounds. So if CJ, Bryant, AJ fall to me at 11 in the first round, I actually pass with the hopes of getting one of those guys in the 2nd round as long as a Morris is there or someone near that calibar in the 1st round. So best outcome for me has been: RB, WR, WR, RB, RB, QB, TE. I hate taking three RB's in the first five rounds since we only start two and do not flex, but at this draft position, RB's are scarce in Round 6, so I scoop up my third in Round 5. Just my two cents... (lineup consists of 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, etc (no flex or ppr))

Last edited by a moderator:
I am finding the best rating for my mock's that I do for the 11 spot involve taking 2 wr's in the first three rounds, and 3 rb's in the first 5 rounds. A qb in the 6th round is usually where I take that position (Romo, Stafford if he falls, etc). You can get two pretty dang good wr's in the first three rounds. So if CJ, Bryant, AJ fall to me at 11 in the first round, I actually pass with the hopes of getting one of those guys in the 2nd round as long as a Morris is there or someone near that calibar in the 1st round. So best outcome for me has been: RB, WR, WR, RB, RB, QB, TE. I hate taking three RB's in the first five rounds since we only start two and do not flex, but at this draft position, RB's are scarce in Round 6, so I scoop up my third in Round 5. Just my two cents... (lineup consists of 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, etc (no flex or ppr))
Well, my draft looks an awful lot like this. We have 1 QB, 2RB's, 3 WR's, 1 flex (no TE mandatory.

1.11 Morris (guy on turn then took Dez Bryant and Forte)

2.02 AJ Green (biggest decision here, Forte was my last RB I'd take there, took AJ over CJ2K and SJax0

3.11 Victor Cruz (all RB's were gone, guy on turn took Lacy and D. Richardson)

4.02 McFadden (sold my soul here, but needed RB and it was respectable value)

5.11 Matt Stafford (OK with value here, Luck/RGIII went earlier in the round, 6 point TD's)

6.02 Antonio Brown (love him this year)

So core starting lineup is

QB Stafford

RB Morris

RB McFadden

WR AJ Green

WR Cruz

WR Antonio Brown

Loaded up on upside guys at RB later like Andre Brown, Bryce Brown, Knowshon Moreno, etc. Also got Blackmon for depth, the K I wanted with Dawson (think he'll be #1 this year) and 2 good D's in Houston and Cincy. If I only felt better about McFadden...

If you can't stomach a McFadden, be prepared to go RB/RB.

Would like to see any others drafting late 1st round list their first 6 to 7 picks. What upside guys you taking in mid to late rounds as well. Seems like going RB, WR, WR, RB, RB/WR, QB is producing pretty well in first six rounds.

Also curious to know much Lacy is moving up and if David Wilson is sneaking up into early round 2 with Brown going down. Is Ball still being drafting ahead of Hillman and where?

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread