What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official 2015 College Football Thread *** (3 Viewers)

I know some of you guys hate the SEC, but it is the best conference any way you try to rank things.

The bad part of conference champs would be that year where you get two or three championship game upsets an you have some really poor teams in the playoffs.

I know some of you guys hate the SEC, but it is the best conference any way you try to rank things. The bad part of conference champs would be that year where you get two or three championship game upsets an you have some really poor teams in the playoffs.
Look, there's no doubt the SEC has some great teams but there's also no doubt that a lot of this dominant conference schtick is also media created. For instance, when you start with 5 of the top 9 teams on paper in the summer then there is a hell of a lot more margin for error than any other conference gets. The SEC also has both CBS and ESPN as personal infomercials practically recruiting for them.

I know some of you guys hate the SEC, but it is the best conference any way you try to rank things. The bad part of conference champs would be that year where you get two or three championship game upsets an you have some really poor teams in the playoffs.
Look, there's no doubt the SEC has some great teams but there's also no doubt that a lot of this dominant conference schtick is also media created. For instance, when you start with 5 of the top 9 teams on paper in the summer then there is a hell of a lot more margin for error than any other conference gets. The SEC also has both CBS and ESPN as personal infomercials practically recruiting for them.
I don't fault the SEC teams for doing what they've done. It's in the rules, that's cool. I did find it funny that when Ok State did the same thing with their schedule how SEC guys complained about it. There is a very selective memory thing going on with some of them. If you want to create the illusion of "strength" you keep it in the conference for a while. Once established, you start to branch out. That's what has to be done under the current scenario.

Eh, maybe to an extent. I'd say the recent string of BCS wins, the first rounders that come from the SEC, or the 60-38 bowl record of SEC teams since 2000.Look, I didn't intend to start an "SEC is GREAT" thread, but I find it foolish for people to be upset that the SEC has a bunch of highly ranked teams. They've kind of earned it. If other conferences don't like it, start beating the SEC. It's not as if it's some vast ESPN conspiracy. I get the anger for last season, but the previous 5 championships were against teams from other conferences. Also, there is no official top 25, and I guarantee you that when it comes out, there won't be five SEC teams in the top 9. So you guys are getting all hot and bothered by some random ranking that holds no merit.

I don't fault the SEC teams for doing what they've done. It's in the rules, that's cool. I did find it funny that when Ok State did the same thing with their schedule how SEC guys complained about it. There is a very selective memory thing going on with some of them. If you want to create the illusion of "strength" you keep it in the conference for a while. Once established, you start to branch out. That's what has to be done under the current scenario.
What exactly do you mean? Referring to OOC games? Historically, the SEC has done that. In recent years though, that hasn't been the case. Alabama has scheduled Clemson (who was ranked 5th) Va Tech, a home and home with Penn State and this years game with Michigan. Before that they had a home/home with Oklahoma, played FSU....LSU played Oregon and West Virginia last year, Georgia played Boise (and got killed), and Florida always plays FSU.SEC plays as tough an OOC schedule as anyone.

What exactly do you mean? Referring to OOC games? Historically, the SEC has done that. In recent years though, that hasn't been the case. Alabama has scheduled Clemson (who was ranked 5th) Va Tech, a home and home with Penn State and this years game with Michigan. Before that they had a home/home with Oklahoma, played FSU....LSU played Oregon and West Virginia last year, Georgia played Boise (and got killed), and Florida always plays FSU.SEC plays as tough an OOC schedule as anyone.
They do now....for a long period of time, building the "allure" of strength, they pretty much kept it in house. It's what they were slammed for and some even keep slamming them because they don't realize things have changed a bit with their "top tier" teams. The other knock on them of course is their "traveling" woes. They don't tend to stray far from their conference states for "neutral site" games.

Last edited by a moderator:
They do now....for a long period of time, building the "allure" of strength, they pretty much kept it in house. It's what they were slammed for and some even keep slamming them because they don't realize things have changed a bit with their "top tier" teams. The other knock on them of course is their "traveling" woes. They don't tend to stray far from their conference states for "neutral site" games.
You are right on that. For years Alabama scheduled patsies, as did Auburn and LSU. Florida always played FSU, and it seems like Tennessee used to play a tough team every year.

I know some of you guys hate the SEC, but it is the best conference any way you try to rank things.

The bad part of conference champs would be that year where you get two or three championship game upsets an you have some really poor teams in the playoffs.
What exactly do you mean? Referring to OOC games? Historically, the SEC has done that. In recent years though, that hasn't been the case. Alabama has scheduled Clemson (who was ranked 5th) Va Tech, a home and home with Penn State and this years game with Michigan. Before that they had a home/home with Oklahoma, played FSU....LSU played Oregon and West Virginia last year, Georgia played Boise (and got killed), and Florida always plays FSU.

SEC plays as tough an OOC schedule as anyone.
You don't really believe that, do you? They may have a few decent games on the OOC slate per season, but they also schedule 2-3 cupcakes against FCS schools and plop one of them into the middle of the SEC conference season in November.

What exactly do you mean? Referring to OOC games? Historically, the SEC has done that. In recent years though, that hasn't been the case. Alabama has scheduled Clemson (who was ranked 5th) Va Tech, a home and home with Penn State and this years game with Michigan. Before that they had a home/home with Oklahoma, played FSU....LSU played Oregon and West Virginia last year, Georgia played Boise (and got killed), and Florida always plays FSU.

You don't really believe that, do you? They may have a few decent games on the OOC slate per season, but they also schedule 2-3 cupcakes against FCS schools and plop one of them into the middle of the SEC conference season in November.
Show me a school from a BCS conference that doesn't do this.

UCLA, Southern Cal, Colorado, and Stanford. Notre Dame's not in a BCS conference, but they don't, either. That's off the top of my head. I could probably find more if I looked up the schedules of every BCS conference team.ETA: And, unless you get a waiver (like Southern Cal does for Notre Dame), then Pac-12 schools, by rule, are not allowed to schedule any non-conference games beyond the first three weeks of the season. So, no, not every school in a BCS conference does this.

Eh, maybe to an extent. I'd say the recent string of BCS wins, the first rounders that come from the SEC, or the 60-38 bowl record of SEC teams since 2000.Look, I didn't intend to start an "SEC is GREAT" thread, but I find it foolish for people to be upset that the SEC has a bunch of highly ranked teams. They've kind of earned it. If other conferences don't like it, start beating the SEC. It's not as if it's some vast ESPN conspiracy. I get the anger for last season, but the previous 5 championships were against teams from other conferences. Also, there is no official top 25, and I guarantee you that when it comes out, there won't be five SEC teams in the top 9. So you guys are getting all hot and bothered by some random ranking that holds no merit.
It is a vast ESPN conspiracy to some extent. The SEC gets the prime TV games and most exposure (constant knob slobbing on game day, televising spring games, etc...) which has helped tremendously with recruiting. Sure, Alabama and LSU don't need that but you're freaking nuts if you don't think there is a correlation between CBS/ESPN pimping the SEC and now South Carolina not being Clemson's ##### all of a sudden, for example.

Other than the state rivalry games, the SEC rarely plays OOC games against other BCS conferences. LSU and Alabama have played some tough games, IIRC, but Georgia would only play Boise in the Georgia Dome. No chance in hell they were going out west to play them.

It is a vast ESPN conspiracy to some extent. The SEC gets the prime TV games and most exposure (constant knob slobbing on game day, televising spring games, etc...) which has helped tremendously with recruiting. Sure, Alabama and LSU don't need that but you're freaking nuts if you don't think there is a correlation between CBS/ESPN pimping the SEC and now South Carolina not being Clemson's ##### all of a sudden, for example.
Yeah, it's got nothing to do with the guy that won his conference at freakin' Duke and then turned Florida's program into a monster.

BTW Wreck, I think you're putting the cart before the horse. The SEC didn't get big because CBS pimped them. CBS shelled out boatloads of cash for the SEC contract because the SEC was big enough to command it.

'PlasmaDogPlasma said:
BTW Wreck, I think you're putting the cart before the horse. The SEC didn't get big because CBS pimped them. CBS shelled out boatloads of cash for the SEC contract because the SEC was big enough to command it.
Maybe that's true. But it doesn't change the inherit benefits it gives those schools compared to others. The recruiting edge isn't going to change and doesn't even really bother me that much. It's the desire to lock out so many teams and dominate the number of schools that get into a playoff that bothers me especially when it's so easy to just decide it on the field with conference champions and a couple of at-large teams.

'PlasmaDogPlasma said:
Maybe that's true. But it doesn't change the inherit benefits it gives those schools compared to others. The recruiting edge isn't going to change and doesn't even really bother me that much. It's the desire to lock out so many teams and dominate the number of schools that get into a playoff that bothers me especially when it's so easy to just decide it on the field with conference champions and a couple of at-large teams.
I'm with you there. I complained about the Bama/LSU match up as much as anyone last year. With such a small playoff system against such a large field, winning your conference should be a minimum requirement for championship eligibility. As far as the TV thing goes, I don't see that NBC contract boosting Notre Dame back into a contender.

'PlasmaDogPlasma said:
I'm with you there. I complained about the Bama/LSU match up as much as anyone last year. With such a small playoff system against such a large field, winning your conference should be a minimum requirement for championship eligibility. As far as the TV thing goes, I don't see that NBC contract boosting Notre Dame back into a contender.
That has as much to do with Notre Dame's mistakes as anything. Or, do you think Notre Dame is clinging to their independent status for some other reason than the cash they get to hoard all to themselves?There was an article written in the last year or so that went into how the SEC TV contract was huge in turning them into the football beast they have become. Flush with cash, the SEC's budget for coaching staffs and recruiting dwarfed everyone else's and they were able to buy player development and scheming in a conference that was never going to have a problem with talent.

'PlasmaDogPlasma said:
That has as much to do with Notre Dame's mistakes as anything. Or, do you think Notre Dame is clinging to their independent status for some other reason than the cash they get to hoard all to themselves?There was an article written in the last year or so that went into how the SEC TV contract was huge in turning them into the football beast they have become. Flush with cash, the SEC's budget for coaching staffs and recruiting dwarfed everyone else's and they were able to buy player development and scheming in a conference that was never going to have a problem with talent.
It's pure ego IMO. The worst team in the B1G makes more from TV than ND does. Their "contract" isn't very good.

Again we're talking about the same thing. What ESPN cares about is the numbers and the SEC puts up the numbers (with the exception of the BCS game last year) so the SEC gets lots of prime time on ESPN.

It could be a self-perpetuating upward spiral, but to suggest it starts with the networks defies logic.

Again we're talking about the same thing. What ESPN cares about is the numbers and the SEC puts up the numbers (with the exception of the BCS game last year) so the SEC gets lots of prime time on ESPN. It could be a self-perpetuating upward spiral, but to suggest it starts with the networks defies logic.
It didn't start with the networks. It started with the conference and the networks bought into it. The conference did a perfect job of selling itself and when a team stumbled when it shouldn't have, they did a fantastic job of spinning it as "it's tough to go undefeated in our conference". Fans bought it, media bought it....from that point forward it was game on. They played few comparable teams during that build up though and that was key. Keep it in house so it's an easier story to sell. Once the media bought into it, it was like an avalanche started from a pea sized snowball. Once the ball got rolling, then the upper echelon teams finally started branching out.

Again we're talking about the same thing. What ESPN cares about is the numbers and the SEC puts up the numbers (with the exception of the BCS game last year) so the SEC gets lots of prime time on ESPN. It could be a self-perpetuating upward spiral, but to suggest it starts with the networks defies logic.
It didn't start with the networks. It started with the conference and the networks bought into it. The conference did a perfect job of selling itself and when a team stumbled when it shouldn't have, they did a fantastic job of spinning it as "it's tough to go undefeated in our conference". Fans bought it, media bought it....from that point forward it was game on. They played few comparable teams during that build up though and that was key. Keep it in house so it's an easier story to sell. Once the media bought into it, it was like an avalanche started from a pea sized snowball. Once the ball got rolling, then the upper echelon teams finally started branching out.
:rolleyes: Can you please identify the specific years that this happened please?

:rolleyes: Can you please identify the specific years that this happened please?
Which part?Do you deny that SEC fans say "it's tough to win in the SEC" when a team that SHOULD win doesn't?Do you deny that the SEC fans say "We don't have to play tough OOC opponents because the SEC is so hard" when OOC is brought up?You can start in the 80s and come up to the late 90s for OOC....not doing that work for you. It's not a slam on them. They saw how it works and were first to jump on it. I commend them for that. Doing that has created a pretty impressive conference.

Which part?Do you deny that SEC fans say "it's tough to win in the SEC" when a team that SHOULD win doesn't?Do you deny that the SEC fans say "We don't have to play tough OOC opponents because the SEC is so hard" when OOC is brought up?You can start in the 80s and come up to the late 90s for OOC....not doing that work for you. It's not a slam on them. They saw how it works and were first to jump on it. I commend them for that. Doing that has created a pretty impressive conference.
Some fans say that. But again, you are acting as if the SEC is dramatically different from other conferences in terms of their OOC schedule. Currently that isn't the case. Whether that was the case in the 80's and early 90's is debatable, and I'll have to do the work. The bottom line is that the SEC over the past ten years has an incredible record in bowl games.Me personally? I have always wished Bama played tough OOC games. When I see a season with an Oklahoma or a Michigan, I get excited. If they have a season with just cupcakes, I'm disappointed.Fortunately, since Saban has been there, he has always scheduled one tough OOC game each year.

Some fans say that. But again, you are acting as if the SEC is dramatically different from other conferences in terms of their OOC schedule. Currently that isn't the case.
If you aren't going to read what I said, then please stop replying to it. I cut out the crap to this comment to prove what I'm talking about. This alone tells me you aren't reading and just arguing to argue. My comments were historical and show what the DID (not are doing) to get to where they are today.

Fortunately, since Saban has been there, he has always scheduled one tough OOC game each year.
It didn't start there. I think the SECC game scared them off in the 90's, but before that, they played h-and-h with Penn State for 10 straight years from '81-'90....opened with Ohio State also in '86....TAMU in '85....Georgia Tech in '80-'84, Notre Dame in '80....etc. Mal Moore started it back up in the early 2000's...first with h-and-h with UCLA (top 10 both years), then Oklahoma, then into the Saban era.Alabama has one of the more impressive histories of any program in the country playing big boy OOC games.

Interesting interview on Finebaum yesterday with notorious Tennessee booster Roy 'Tenstud' Adams:

http://finebaum.com/Article.asp?id=1967756&spid=38693

He laid into Derek Dooley. Says he 'works 40-50 hours a week'. That he has an elitist attitude towards recruits, high school coaches, and boosters from his rich family background and college time at UVA. And that he was basically Saban's 'lawyer' during his often-pointed-to time on his staff.

Not sure how much power this guy has left...but he's certainly one of the most famous UT boosters. I guess its a foregone conclusion Dooley is the next SEC coach gone, but this doesn't paint a great light on his future either.

Interesting interview on Finebaum yesterday with notorious Tennessee booster Roy 'Tenstud' Adams:

http://finebaum.com/Article.asp?id=1967756&spid=38693

He laid into Derek Dooley. Says he 'works 40-50 hours a week'. That he has an elitist attitude towards recruits, high school coaches, and boosters from his rich family background and college time at UVA. And that he was basically Saban's 'lawyer' during his often-pointed-to time on his staff.

Not sure how much power this guy has left...but he's certainly one of the most famous UT boosters. I guess its a foregone conclusion Dooley is the next SEC coach gone, but this doesn't paint a great light on his future either.
Dooley should have been fired last year. It's obvious he's in over his head.

Some fans say that. But again, you are acting as if the SEC is dramatically different from other conferences in terms of their OOC schedule. Currently that isn't the case.
If you aren't going to read what I said, then please stop replying to it. I cut out the crap to this comment to prove what I'm talking about. This alone tells me you aren't reading and just arguing to argue. My comments were historical and show what the DID (not are doing) to get to where they are today.
Commish, your statement was totally false.I finally went back and did the historical research and I don't see any evidence for the absurd theory that the SEC got where they are because they scheduled pansies.I checked Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee and Auburn for the late 80's and early 90's and I see no evidence of this being the case.You could potentially make the argument that Alabama (ironically) and Auburn were the grossest offenders in the early 90's, but it certainly wasn't a conference-wide issue. I also didn't find any evidence that the SEC was any different then or now.So your opinion that there was some conference wide conspiracy to avoid playing the good teams and bolster perception is just absolutely ridiculous.You'll need to actually provide the data, which you won't do, because it doesn't exist.

Commish, your statement was totally false.I finally went back and did the historical research and I don't see any evidence for the absurd theory that the SEC got where they are because they scheduled pansies.

I checked Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee and Auburn for the late 80's and early 90's and I see no evidence of this being the case.

You could potentially make the argument that Alabama (ironically) and Auburn were the grossest offenders in the early 90's, but it certainly wasn't a conference-wide issue. I also didn't find any evidence that the SEC was any different then or now.

So your opinion that there was some conference wide conspiracy to avoid playing the good teams and bolster perception is just absolutely ridiculous.

You'll need to actually provide the data, which you won't do, because it doesn't exist.
I guess we have different ideas of what a quality schedule should look like. Bringing up Florida is particularly hilarious, by the way.Look at their schedules the last few years. Florida has not played a non-conference game outside of the state of Florida since 1991. The blueprint of the SEC, including Alabama, Tennessee and Auburn, has been to play one opponent from a BCS-AQ conference and then schedule the rest of their non-conference with the dregs of the FBS and schedule at least one FCS game. That's brutal.

'shader said:
Commish, your statement was totally false.I finally went back and did the historical research and I don't see any evidence for the absurd theory that the SEC got where they are because they scheduled pansies.I checked Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee and Auburn for the late 80's and early 90's and I see no evidence of this being the case.You could potentially make the argument that Alabama (ironically) and Auburn were the grossest offenders in the early 90's, but it certainly wasn't a conference-wide issue. I also didn't find any evidence that the SEC was any different then or now.So your opinion that there was some conference wide conspiracy to avoid playing the good teams and bolster perception is just absolutely ridiculous.You'll need to actually provide the data, which you won't do, because it doesn't exist.
We'd have to agree on what that evidence is and we know you won't go there. I'll let others try to show this to you but it's clear that if you really went back to look at the years in question and you see no difference between then and the last decade, nothing anyone here says is going to change your mind. You've already made it up :shrug:

'GDogg said:
I guess we have different ideas of what a quality schedule should look like. Bringing up Florida is particularly hilarious, by the way.

Look at their schedules the last few years. Florida has not played a non-conference game outside of the state of Florida since 1991. The blueprint of the SEC, including Alabama, Tennessee and Auburn, has been to play one opponent from a BCS-AQ conference and then schedule the rest of their non-conference with the dregs of the FBS and schedule at least one FCS game. That's brutal.
This is the crux of the whole thing and it's not going to change.

A 40-year-old letter was reported in the Chattanoogan this week, written by Coach Bryant to an incoming freshman the summer before he comes to play for him:

http://www.chattanoogan.com/2012/5/8/225573/Roy-Exum-Bear-Bryants-Summertime.aspx

Dear Chris:You will be expected to report for football practice August 17. We will expect you to arrive in the afternoon and our first meal will be served that evening at the dorm.

On the 18th, you will take your physical, including the mile run, get your room and locker assignments and participate in Photographer’s Day in the afternoon. Our first practice will be on the morning of the 19th.

I am expecting you to report in top physical condition, clean-cut, smiling, bright-eyed, bushy-tailed and raring to go. Also, I am expecting you to be prepared to run, hit, pitch, kick, catch, sweat, smell and enjoy it. There are no easy ways but there are ways to enjoy the journey and we must find them.

I am also expecting you to work hard, eat well, sleep well, play well, display a winning attitude at all times, be a leader and help me sell the squad on what it takes to win and enjoy the journey.

I hope you will share your problems with me whether it be at home, at the dorm, in your school work, with teammates, with coaches, with training regulations, self-discipline or even flying a kite. If you do that, I will try to help you and, if I can’t, I’ll recommend you get a job, join the Army, or join the Foreign Legion, but, in any event, to reside in another state.

Nothing’s too good for winners. I want to love you, pat you, pet you, brag on you and see you hoot, run and shout and laugh, pray, hug, kiss, and win with humility.

If we lose, I want all of us to be unhappy, no one to have any fun, and expect only what is reserved for losers but take it with dignity while planning to come back.

Please remember us to your family and make your personal plans on how you are going to reach your goal – the NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP.

Sincerely,Paul Bryant

A 40-year-old letter was reported in the Chattanoogan this week, written by Coach Bryant to an incoming freshman the summer before he comes to play for him:

http://www.chattanoogan.com/2012/5/8/225573/Roy-Exum-Bear-Bryants-Summertime.aspx

Dear Chris:You will be expected to report for football practice August 17. We will expect you to arrive in the afternoon and our first meal will be served that evening at the dorm.

On the 18th, you will take your physical, including the mile run, get your room and locker assignments and participate in Photographer’s Day in the afternoon. Our first practice will be on the morning of the 19th.

I am expecting you to report in top physical condition, clean-cut, smiling, bright-eyed, bushy-tailed and raring to go. Also, I am expecting you to be prepared to run, hit, pitch, kick, catch, sweat, smell and enjoy it. There are no easy ways but there are ways to enjoy the journey and we must find them.

I am also expecting you to work hard, eat well, sleep well, play well, display a winning attitude at all times, be a leader and help me sell the squad on what it takes to win and enjoy the journey.

I hope you will share your problems with me whether it be at home, at the dorm, in your school work, with teammates, with coaches, with training regulations, self-discipline or even flying a kite. If you do that, I will try to help you and, if I can’t, I’ll recommend you get a job, join the Army, or join the Foreign Legion, but, in any event, to reside in another state.

Nothing’s too good for winners. I want to love you, pat you, pet you, brag on you and see you hoot, run and shout and laugh, pray, hug, kiss, and win with humility.

If we lose, I want all of us to be unhappy, no one to have any fun, and expect only what is reserved for losers but take it with dignity while planning to come back.

Please remember us to your family and make your personal plans on how you are going to reach your goal – the NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP.

Sincerely,Paul Bryant
That's awful.

http://www.chattanoo...Summertime.aspx

On the 18th, you will take your physical, including the mile run, get your room and locker assignments and participate in Photographer's Day in the afternoon. Our first practice will be on the morning of the 19th.

I hope you will share your problems with me whether it be at home, at the dorm, in your school work, with teammates, with coaches, with training regulations, self-discipline or even flying a kite. If you do that, I will try to help you and, if I can't, I'll recommend you get a job, join the Army, or join the Foreign Legion, but, in any event, to reside in another state.

Nothing's too good for winners. I want to love you, pat you, pet you, brag on you and see you hoot, run and shout and laugh, pray, hug, kiss, and win with humility.

Sincerely,Paul Bryant
That's awful.
You have to look at it thru the eyes of an incoming 17-year-old, likely from a small southern town. And obviously the purpose is to motivate the kid to be enthusiastic and prepared for what was no doubt a tough introduction to fall practice...which it mostly would, unless you hated college football like yourself. In which case, you'd be in the Foreign Legion soon anyway.

I hope you will share your problems with me whether it be at home, at the dorm, in your school work, with teammates, with coaches, with training regulations, self-discipline or even flying a kite. If you do that, I will try to help you and, if I can't, I'll recommend you get a job, join the Army, or join the Foreign Legion, but, in any event, to reside in another state
This makes no sense to me. Why would he want the kid to reside in another state if Bryant failed in helping?

I hope you will share your problems with me whether it be at home, at the dorm, in your school work, with teammates, with coaches, with training regulations, self-discipline or even flying a kite. If you do that, I will try to help you and, if I can't, I'll recommend you get a job, join the Army, or join the Foreign Legion, but, in any event, to reside in another state
This makes no sense to me. Why would he want the kid to reside in another state if Bryant failed in helping?
I don't get it exactly, but I think the point is to make the kid understand to come to him for anything...and he'd help him no matter what. He had a well-known Open Door.

I don't get it exactly, but I think the point is to make the kid understand to come to him for anything...and he'd help him no matter what. He had a well-known Open Door.
Then he should have stopped at "I will try to help you." Actually it should have probably read "I will do everything I can to help you." -The End Kicking the kid to the curb because of the coach's inability to help makes zero sense.

Then he should have stopped at "I will try to help you." Actually it should have probably read "I will do everything I can to help you." -The End Kicking the kid to the curb because of the coach's inability to help makes zero sense.
He wouldn't kick the kid the curb...he'd solve the problem....I think thats the point.

'GDogg said:
'shader said:
Commish, your statement was totally false.I finally went back and did the historical research and I don't see any evidence for the absurd theory that the SEC got where they are because they scheduled pansies.

I checked Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee and Auburn for the late 80's and early 90's and I see no evidence of this being the case.

You could potentially make the argument that Alabama (ironically) and Auburn were the grossest offenders in the early 90's, but it certainly wasn't a conference-wide issue. I also didn't find any evidence that the SEC was any different then or now.

So your opinion that there was some conference wide conspiracy to avoid playing the good teams and bolster perception is just absolutely ridiculous.

You'll need to actually provide the data, which you won't do, because it doesn't exist.
I guess we have different ideas of what a quality schedule should look like. Bringing up Florida is particularly hilarious, by the way.Look at their schedules the last few years. Florida has not played a non-conference game outside of the state of Florida since 1991. The blueprint of the SEC, including Alabama, Tennessee and Auburn, has been to play one opponent from a BCS-AQ conference and then schedule the rest of their non-conference with the dregs of the FBS and schedule at least one FCS game. That's brutal.
Florida playing Florida State has traditionally been a HUGE out of conference game. Yes, they tend to schedule pansies outside of that, and they have also added Miami a few times. Yes, I would love to see them branch out and go play teams in the North and West. It would be fun to see. Also, pretty much every bigtime college football team follows the same schedule. One good opponent and a bunch of crap. Again, I'm not defending it, just saying it isn't an SEC thing.

He wouldn't kick the kid the curb...he'd solve the problem....I think thats the point.
The kid's problem or his?

'shader said:
We'd have to agree on what that evidence is and we know you won't go there. I'll let others try to show this to you but it's clear that if you really went back to look at the years in question and you see no difference between then and the last decade, nothing anyone here says is going to change your mind. You've already made it up :shrug:
We know I won't go there? How about actually supplying some evidence. This makes two threads this week in which you are just throwing out bold statements with zero evidence to back them up. You made a huge accusation regarding the intent of the SEC, and there is no evidence to back up what you said. Did some teams have very soft non conference schedules? Sure. But there was never a period where the SEC systematically calculated that it's time to "keep it in conference, build things up, and dupe the media."One of the big points you miss, is that the SEC's dominance has largely happened because they kick the other conferences butts in big bowl games.

'GDogg said:
I guess we have different ideas of what a quality schedule should look like. Bringing up Florida is particularly hilarious, by the way.

Look at their schedules the last few years. Florida has not played a non-conference game outside of the state of Florida since 1991. The blueprint of the SEC, including Alabama, Tennessee and Auburn, has been to play one opponent from a BCS-AQ conference and then schedule the rest of their non-conference with the dregs of the FBS and schedule at least one FCS game. That's brutal.
This is the crux of the whole thing and it's not going to change.
I'm the one using facts, you guys are the ones distorting them.Florida played FSU every year in the 80's, 90's and 2000's. In case you forgot, FSU was a pretty awesome team for most of that time period. But you guys will toss out that game against a yearly top 5 opponent because it gets played in Florida! I guess I shouldn't include you in there, because you haven't given that excuse yet.

But to say that Florida has a laughable schedule is a little silly.

ALSO, you have to include the fact that the SEC started the whole "conference championship" game thing, which did the conference no favors. Alabama's game against Miami in 92 was almost disrupted by Bama having to play a great Florida team. That's just another top game that SEC teams were forced to play.

Other conferences eventually fell in line and now things are pretty even in that area, but you guys are the ones using history to try and bring some vast SEC conspiracy into the fold.

We know I won't go there? How about actually supplying some evidence.
There's really no point in going down this road with you. You have all the schedules for all the years. You've already stated that isn't good enough to you. The End. I, and many others will disagree with you. You have the data in front of you. We can't give you more than all the schedules.

Users who are viewing this thread