What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official - 2024 Major League Baseball Thread - It's a Holliday In Baltimodia, Where People Dress in Orange*** (4 Viewers)

It shouldn’t happen but if Cleveland beats the Yankees I have a feeling the NLDS round will be best of 7 next year.

Wouldn’t change things in my mind but they will say that three 100 win teams and almost 100 in Yankees aren’t in the LCS round? We got to change something. I do think maybe the Dodgers depth may have shown up in that series if it was best of 7 but Philly was winning either way and potentially the Guardians.

I maintain that having a bye during the wild card round is not an advantage for the four teams who get them. Baseball teams are used to playing almost every night for six months and then all of a sudden you get five nights off and are supposed to just snap back into it when the divisional round begins. Even if you are sluggish for just the first game or two, that can spell doom in a 5-game series, especially against a team that is hot and coming off a win in the wild card round.

I maintain that having a bye during the wild card round is not an advantage for the four teams who get them. Baseball teams are used to playing almost every night for six months and then all of a sudden you get five nights off and are supposed to just snap back into it when the divisional round begins. Even if you are sluggish for just the first game or two, that can spell doom in a 5-game series, especially against a team that is hot and coming off a win in the wild card round.
Manfred’s solution to that will be 8 playoff teams per league, no byes.

The Cardinals, Blue Jays, Mets and Rays all disagree.

I mean the baseball playoffs are tremendously unfair in any fashion. You have each team play 5000 games a year (hyperbole, but just a little) and then play a best of 5 after? The dodgers were 22 games better than the Padres this year, we all know who the better team was.

But it’s great revenue for the sport and Americans love playoffs so this is what we have. I did think baseball had the most fair system when there were only 4 division winners making it, but then you’d have 75% of the league uninterested in the game by June.

What does pleaac have in his hat?
Pitch com. All pitchers have it
Oh right, I remember hearing about that, but never really saw the actual device

I mean the baseball playoffs are tremendously unfair in any fashion. You have each team play 5000 games a year (hyperbole, but just a little) and then play a best of 5 after? The dodgers were 22 games better than the Padres this year, we all know who the better team was.

Regular season play/strategy is vastly different then playoffs. Dave Roberts is a terrible playoff manager as he gets into his bullpen way too early which causes their effectiveness to diminish as the series goes along. He manages fine for the marathon of a season but for the playoffs it's a totally different animal. He is terrible at that adjustment and it has cost the Dodgers many series over the last few years.

Although, I still don't understand why you think the playoffs are "tremendously unfair". Would a one game playoff be better? A best of 11 series?

This might be the worst playoff game Ive ever seen. This game is a prime example of why baseball sucks. Nobody can shorten their swing and put the ball in play. This game may last ‘Til Tuesday.

This happens in any playoff extra inning game from the beginning of time. It is worse now but not uncommon from the beginning of time. You can see everyone swinging from the heels every swing which gives such a huge advantage to the pitchers. But you can also see once a team got a run they put a couple hits together because batters relax and just go for good AB's over the HR approach.

I think playoff baseball should be played with more of a small ball approach even from the start of the game. Runs are hard to come by and if you can scratch one or two out early the other team presses and gets tougher to hit. Teams that seem to have success are able to "move the line" with basehits and small ball type approaches and it can be successful over the swing from the feels HR guys.

The dodgers were 22 games better than the Padres this year, we all know who the better team was.
That‘s right we do. And they play Philly on Tuesday.
It’s great you believe that, but no they’re not the better team. They were for a 4-day period out of 6 months.
Tell me how that’s different in any other sport? How good you are in the regular season means absolutely nothing come in the playoffs. over the course of a multiple games series the better teams often win. Right now the Padres are a better team then the Dodgers were. During the regular season, it was the Dodgers. But they don’t give awards for regular season teams.

I truly don’t understand where you’re going with your playoffs thoughts. Are you suggesting we just crown the team with the best record at the end of the year the champions?

Last edited:
Tell me how that’s different in any other sport? How good you are in the regular season means absolutely nothing come in the playoffs.
Well for one, baseball plays double the amount of games any other sport does and 10x what football does. So we have a large enough sample size to generally know who the best teams are, especially when speaking of leagues like how the Dodgers dominated the NL.
I truly don’t understand where you’re going with your playoffs thoughts. Are you suggesting we discrowned the team with the best record at the end of the year the champions?

No, I know that will never happen nor do I want it to. Playoffs are usually fun. But anybody acting like the Padres are a better team in 2022 than the Dodgers because of a half a week sample may as well still believe in Santa Claus.

Last edited:
Tell me how that’s different in any other sport? How good you are in the regular season means absolutely nothing come in the playoffs.
Well for one, baseball plays double the amount of games any other sport does and 10x what football does. So we have a large enough sample size to generally know who the best teams are, especially when speaking of leagues like how the Dodgers dominated the NL.
I truly don’t understand where you’re going with your playoffs thoughts. Are you suggesting we discrowned the team with the best record at the end of the year the champions?

No, I know that will never happen nor do I want it to. Playoffs are usually fun. But anybody acting like the Padres are a better team in 2022 than the Dodgers because of a half a week sample may as well still believe in Santa Clause.
How you can’t find a team going into New York playing a three game series against a 100+ win team and winning, Then immediately going and playing the “best team” in baseball all year, who won 111 games, and beat them despite not having home-field advantage or being able to line up their starting pitching because of days off, fun I’ll never know. I suggest maybe you don’t enjoy baseball.

The Padres doing what they did in front of those amazing crowds is exactly what makes baseball great and fun.

Last edited:
Yeah, the Braves won last year but I have a hard time saying there were the best team. They got hot and won - ultimately that’s all that matters and it is what makes the playoffs fun.

The only alternative would be to do something like European soccer where you have a title for the regular season and then one for a tournament too. Would never go over.

Yeah, the Braves won last year but I have a hard time saying there were the best team. They got hot and won - ultimately that’s all that matters and it is what makes the playoffs fun.

The only alternative would be to do something like European soccer where you have a title for the regular season and then one for a tournament too. Would never go over.

Our Braves last year are just one of many examples over the last two decades that the best regular season team doesn't always win the trophy. No point in arguing though, and to Cap's point MLB is only entertaining for about 29 days/year.

best regular season team doesn't always win the trophy
This is true of every sport. That’s why I really don’t get what he was talking about. Not trying to argue but there’s not a professional sport out there where a team can get hot in the playoffs and win it all. In the playoffs, when it matters, those teams were/are better.

Right and I’m sure a lot of those mid-level euro clubs are bored by mid-season.

I’m not saying crowning a regular season champ is the answer or even interesting, just that the playoffs are kinda dumb.

This is true of every sport. That’s why I really don’t get what he was talking about. Not trying to argue but there’s not a professional sport out there where a team can get hot in the playoffs and win it all. In the playoffs, when it matters, those teams were/are better.
Top 2 or 3 team in the NBA usually wins it. I don’t have any data to back it up but it feels like a top-4 NFL team usually wins it. Last year was wonky with the Rams and Bengals making it.

How they didn't foresee this would be baffling if these were competent decision makers we were talking about, but...

The dodgers were 22 games better than the Padres this year, we all know who the better team was.
That‘s right we do. And they play Philly on Tuesday.
It’s great you believe that, but no they’re not the better team. They were for a 4-day period out of 6 months.
Preller designed the Padres for the playoffs. Dodgers are the better regular season team.

Enjoy that NL West title LA!

Top 2 or 3 team in the NBA usually wins it. I don’t have any data to back it up but it feels like a top-4 NFL team usually wins it. Last year was wonky with the Rams and Bengals making it.
I don’t have the time or inclination to put the work in, but I would wager to bet the “top teams” in all sports wins more frequently. But there are also countless examples of it not happening. The most obvious I think that would come to peoples minds is the Giants versus the undefeated Pats. That’s what makes the playoffs format compelling. Anything can happen when you get in and the team that is performing best when it matters most is the best team.

Last edited:
Adam Civale in a deciding G5 over Bieber on 3 days rest must be the dumbest decision I've ever seen.
Especially after the Yanks were going with Cortes on short rest. You would think that would have forced Cleveland’s hand. Guess they were saving Bieber for the offseason.

That was bizarre. Guy clearly foul tipped it and they called it a ball?

Didn't matter because he flies out but really weird.

Users who are viewing this thread