What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official - 2024 Major League Baseball Thread - It's a Holliday In Baltimodia, Where People Dress in Orange*** (6 Viewers)

I think having these overseas regular season games in the middle of preseason is dumb. Why can't they just wait another couple weeks to play them? Especially this year with the supposedly next great Japanese pitcher making his first MLB start in one of them. Fans would like to see this guy pitch but the game starts at like 6am.

3AM here but I understand why MLB is doing it this way. With the travel and the tight in-season scheduling, it's tough to carve out time for a two game series in Asia. You'd have to allow a 2-3 day buffer on either side of the roadtrip.

The potential benefits of growing the game globally exceed those of starting the season on a Tuesday afternoon in Cincinnati (sorry shuke). MLB has done this before with the A's and Mariners opening the season in the Tokyo Dome and we all somehow managed to survive.
I understand all that but they shouldn't have to play more pre season games after playing 2 real games. If they played Sat-Sun more people could watch(here and there) and the players could get more rest after the trip before playing again.

All these big Giants signings have come with bittersweet moments. I'm stoked on the Chapman and Snell signings, but giving the axe to Crawford and Renel stings.

I think having these overseas regular season games in the middle of preseason is dumb. Why can't they just wait another couple weeks to play them? Especially this year with the supposedly next great Japanese pitcher making his first MLB start in one of them. Fans would like to see this guy pitch but the game starts at like 6am.

3AM here but I understand why MLB is doing it this way. With the travel and the tight in-season scheduling, it's tough to carve out time for a two game series in Asia. You'd have to allow a 2-3 day buffer on either side of the roadtrip.

The potential benefits of growing the game globally exceed those of starting the season on a Tuesday afternoon in Cincinnati (sorry shuke). MLB has done this before with the A's and Mariners opening the season in the Tokyo Dome and we all somehow managed to survive.
I understand all that but they shouldn't have to play more pre season games after playing 2 real games. If they played Sat-Sun more people could watch(here and there) and the players could get more rest after the trip before playing again.

A Saturday game in Korea would conflict with opening day for the KBO.

Lefty Garrett Crochet is making his first career start in the White Sox season opener. He's only the ninth modern era pitcher to do this.

2014 Tanner Scheppers
1981 Fernando Valenzuela
1944 Preacher Roe
1943 Al Gerheauser
1939 Red Evans
1938 Jim Bagby
1925 Lefty Grove
1920 Eddie Eayrs

Grove is one of the all-time greats and Fernando, Roe and Bagby went on to have excellent careers. Scheppers and Eddie Eayrs fall on the other end of the spectrum.

I went down an Internet rabbit hole on Eayrs. He was a 30 year old minor league outfielder for the Boston Braves who was converted to a starting pitcher in spring training. He got the win on opening day going scattering 9 hits and 3 runs over 8 1/3 IP. The lefty only made two other starts in the 1920 season taking the loss in both of them. He finished the year with only 26 IP but had more success at the plate appearing in 87 games in the outfield with a very impressive 133 OPS+. Neither he or (dubious) Hall of Famer Rabbit Maranville helped the Braves much because they went 62-90-1 finishing 30 games back of the pennant winning Brooklyn Robins.

I may regret this one in a few months but I think the White Sox could surprise. Their O/U for wins is 60.5 which is third worst after the Rockies and Oaklands. I have more confidence in the White Sox to beat their number than the other two (but not enough to put money on it because they're still the White Sox).

I may regret this one in a few months but I think the White Sox could surprise. Their O/U for wins is 60.5 which is third worst after the Rockies and Oaklands. I have more confidence in the White Sox to beat their number than the other two (but not enough to put money on it because they're still the White Sox).
60.5 is a bad number, it should be about 63. I can’t see them or Colorado reaching their expected wins though. Sliver of hope for Oakland as the Angels are in the division. The downside of Oakland is who will they trade away at the deadline?

I like KC’s over 73.5 a lot. Improving young team with no juggernauts in the division.

Have you taken a look at the White Sox pitching? Pretty 100% sure this is the worst in the majors

Have you taken a look at the White Sox pitching? Pretty 100% sure this is the worst in the majors
They have nothing outside of Roberts. Absolutely zero buzz on Chicago radio.

The only way this happens if Moncada, Robert, Eloy, and Vaughn all have better than expected seasons and stay healthy.

The only way this happens if Moncada, Robert, Eloy, and Vaughn all have better than expected seasons and stay healthy.

So you're saying there's a chance? :oldunsure:

The Dodgers' go-ahead run scored on a ground ball that broke through the webbing of Jake Cronenworth's first baseman's mitt.

Ohtani’s interpreter fired for stealing money from his account to settle a gambling debt. 4.5 million!!

Something smells here and it's not the sushi

Tigers’ pitching has been outstanding this preseason …leading the AL in many stats. And with that, they have the desirable problem of how to whittle six SP options down to five. :optimistic:

I don’t know much about the gambling underworld but I can’t imagine many interpreters having a 4.5M dollar line of credit.
Definitely more to this story. Imagine spending a billion dollars on two guys, one of which couldn’t make it past 1 inning in his debut, and the other having the stink of Pete Rose on him 2 games into the season.

I don’t know much about the gambling underworld but I can’t imagine many interpreters having a 4.5M dollar line of credit.
Definitely more to this story. Imagine spending a billion dollars on two guys, one of which couldn’t make it past 1 inning in his debut, and the other having the stink of Pete Rose on him 2 games into the season.
The big point for me is that the interpreter is his BEST FRIEND. Pete Rose must be so happy right now.

The big point for me is that the interpreter is his BEST FRIEND. Pete Rose must be so happy right now.

Pete didn't have a lot of friends
Sparky Anderson was a friend. In fact, 'Ol Pete loved the guy so much that when Sparky was managing the Tigers and Pete was managing the Reds, Pete would call Sparky before his games and catch up, asking all kinds of questions about his family, how his pitchers were doing, what sort of line-up he was thinking about using that night, you know....the usual.

Pete didn't have a lot of friends
Sparky Anderson was a friend. In fact, 'Ol Pete loved the guy so much that when Sparky was managing the Tigers and Pete was managing the Reds, Pete would call Sparky before his games and catch up, asking all kinds of questions about his family, how his pitchers were doing, what sort of line-up he was thinking about using that night, you know....the usual.

✅ DET +120

Baltimore is playing with fire if they are keeping Holliday down because of team control bs. They chose a .640 ops guy instead, which tells you what is happening.

This team is LOADED and if they can keep the right pieces, they’ll be good for a decade. Start messing with star players, and it’ll all go real bad, real quick.

Baltimore is playing with fire if they are keeping Holliday down because of team control bs. They chose a .640 ops guy instead, which tells you what is happening.

This team is LOADED and if they can keep the right pieces, they’ll be good for a decade. Start messing with star players, and it’ll all go real bad, real quick.

Old habits die harder than Peter Angelos

4 more days to opening day! :clap:I took Thursday off and plan on watching baseball all day. I have to go back to work on Friday for one day because it is end of month (well, don't have to, but it will be a mess if I don't), but that is ok because I will have the weekend to watch baseball as well. Already have my DK entries in for Thursday.

4 more days to opening day! :clap:I took Thursday off and plan on watching baseball all day. I have to go back to work on Friday for one day because it is end of month (well, don't have to, but it will be a mess if I don't), but that is ok because I will have the weekend to watch baseball as well. Already have my DK entries in for Thursday.
Only 8 games scheduled for Friday so you won't miss too much. 15 games on the days you have off.

the new obstruction rule is ridiculous, stolen bases should be through the roof this year

There's no way that's the reason he was called safe.
1000% found a better link
Whoa…. That is weak
I wonder if this is something that they are calling in spring training a lot to try and change some of the habits but once it gets into the real games they will only call egregious bag blocking. This play in particular is completely benign in what the defender was doing and should never be called. It will suck if it starts getting called.

the new obstruction rule is ridiculous, stolen bases should be through the roof this year

There's no way that's the reason he was called safe.
1000% found a better link
Whoa…. That is weak
I wonder if this is something that they are calling in spring training a lot to try and change some of the habits but once it gets into the real games they will only call egregious bag blocking. This play in particular is completely benign in what the defender was doing and should never be called. It will suck if it starts getting called.
As an umpire myself, I'd probably rather it be called as it was so that it eliminates the umpire from having to make a judgement call. I can see why people are griping about it though.

Feeling great about my Tigers!
A lot of people are jumping on the Royals bandwagon, but I think the division will come down to Twins and Tigers. If my Twins can stay healthy I think they walk away with it, but if you see injuries start to mount, I think the Tigers can make a run. I like Minnesota's Rotation, but the depth is worrisome with the FO deciding not to spend any money this year. Lineup seems to have more depth with a lot of good players waiting in the Minors. Minnesota AAA game should be a lot of fun to watch this year with the players they have there.

Speaking of the AAA team, St. Paul Saints come under fire for naming 2024 season's pig mascot 'Ozempig'

Users who are viewing this thread