What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Artificial Intelligence (AI) Thread*** Latest: US Air Force confirms first successful AI dogfight (1 Viewer)

Nathan R. Jessep

Footballguy
I know we have a ChatGPT thread, but this space is moving at warp speed right now, so I think it's time to launch a general AI thread for news, tools, links, etc. I have run across some unbelievable tools thus far and I think we are just scratching the surface. IMHO, I feel like this is the beginning of a movement something like when the internet was born.

To kick the thread off, (and there are many other sources of this if you want to Google, or ask an AI bot), this is an alleged leaked document from a Google employee, which is internal discussions that are talking, basically, about how the OpenSource AI products are moving faster than their "pay for performance" version they are producing.

If you've got other AI tips, tools, news, etc. to share, BRING IT! Will try to index the important stuff here in the OP.

Chat with Data: https://chatwithdata.ai/home

Answer any broad question on industry, narratives, stock prices, and company trajectories instantly: https://alphawatch.ai/

Last edited:
Dude. I am a programmer by trade. I'd be lying if I said I haven't thought about this angle! I've seen ChatGPT write some working code from literally a couple of sentences. :eek:
My startup had to write an environmental impact report for the city, and we started with ChatGPT to use as an outline, and I dunno how much time we saved, but it was a lot.

The writers are the first to get screwed. Writing copy for some marketing thing, you really need the human touch? I think not.

Good writeup I found:

Ultimately, as this document phrases it, Google and in extension OpenAI do not have a ‘secret sauce’ that makes their approaches better than anything the wider community can come up with. Noted is also that essentially Meta has won out here by having their LLM leak, as it has meant that the OSS community has been improving on the Meta foundations, allowing Meta to benefit from those improvements in their products.

The dire prediction is thus that in the end the proprietary LLMs by Google, OpenAI and others will cease to be relevant, as the open source community will have steamrolled them into fine, digital dust. Whether this will indeed work out this way remains to be seen, but things are not looking up for proprietary LLMs.

Dude. I am a programmer by trade. I'd be lying if I said I haven't thought about this angle! I've seen ChatGPT write some working code from literally a couple of sentences. :eek:
My startup had to write an environmental impact report for the city, and we started with ChatGPT to use as an outline, and I dunno how much time we saved, but it was a lot.

The writers are the first to get screwed. Writing copy for some marketing thing, you really need the human touch? I think not.

That's me. And yea, the writing is on the wall.

I can outdo AI now for marketing and engagement - the human touch and storytelling is not its strong suit yet. But I'd be naive to think it's not going to vastly improve, and even if it doesn't, that businesses will care. "Good enough" is indeed good enough for most companies (my hope is the ones that don't think so will keep me afloat - but I'm definitely glad I'm 56 in this profession and not 36.)

However, we're all prettymuch doomed in this. If your job generally involves a desk and tapping keys and looking at facts and figures and sending email and making decisions... well, hopefully you're nearing retirement age. Because it's coming for you too. The next decade is going to be stressful for a lot of people who thought they had solid careers.

Last edited:

TL;DR:
  • CKE Restaurant Holdings, the parent company of Hardee’s and Carl’s Jr., will deploy drive-thru artificial intelligence at some drive-thrus. The restaurant firm is working with three different tech firms, Presto Automation, OpenCity and Valyant AI, according to press releases from those companies.
  • All three companies said tests at unspecified numbers of CKE restaurants showed improved labor productivity, among other benefits.
  • CKE operates about 2,800 Hardee’s and Carl’s Jr. locations in the U.S., and another 1,000 worldwide, offering the potential for large-scale adoption of drive-thru automation.

Despite being a huge fan of both Slack and ChatGPT, I didn't find the info at that link especially compelling. I think they need to think a bit more about how to make it sound exciting.

Off-hand, some stuff that it might be able to do that WOULD seem more useful to me:
  • Let me know if there are questions in any channels where my team would be expected to respond and haven't within x hours
  • Let me know anytime there are posts in publics channels that I haven't joined about topics x, y or z
  • Synthesize our latest and greatest thinking about topic x based on all channels I have access to
  • Compile a list of people who have been involved in discussions about topic x and might want to be included in future discussion or updates about it

WGA on strike and one of the sticking points is AI; the studios are refusing to put any verbiage into the new agreement concerning the use of AI in writing film/TV, only saying they would agree to meet once a year to discuss the technology.

Many TV/feature writers feel studios are preparing to have AI write the scripts and bring in a human writer to rewrite/polish at a much reduced rate, which will eliminate a huge percentage of professional writers. In essence, it will no longer be a viable career path to write for TV/Film. Instead of a few thousand pros there will be like 50 or 100 or whatever. In playing around with ChatGPT and Bard I can have it outline a screenplay in three act structure, come up with the storyline, main characters, central conflict, etc. The stories are simplistic and clichéd at the moment, but the next iteration of AI will be much more sophisticated. It's coming, and fast.

On the flip side, there is a scenario a bit more down the road where AI is so sophisticated that anyone can plug in instructions and it spits out a completed film; actors, cinematography, score - everything generated artificially, and at that point do we even need studios?

Most graphic designers are obsolete. We'll likely need less primary care physicians. Most coding jobs will be replaced. There's going to be pretty bad structural unemployment to deal with.

Transactional lawyers need to get ready to retire. If you aren't a litigator or someone that holds clients' hands, you are already obsolete.
I was wondering about this. The impact on the problem of cost of attorney for the middle class and below.

That's me. And yea, the writing is on the wall.

I can outdo AI now for marketing and engagement - the human touch and storytelling is not its strong suit yet. But I'd be naive to think it's not going to vastly improve, and even if it doesn't, that businesses will care. "Good enough" is indeed good enough for most companies (my hope is the ones that don't think so will keep me afloat - but I'm definitely glad I'm 56 in this profession and not 36.)

However, we're all prettymuch doomed in this. If your job generally involves a desk and tapping keys and looking at facts and figures and sending email and making decisions... well, hopefully you're nearing retirement age. Because it's coming for you too. The next decade is going to be stressful for a lot of people who thought they had solid careers.
Kevin Kelly of Wired fame basically believes AIs will top out at intern level good for anything written or art design. He thinks you still will need someone to oversee the intern’s work and adjust, correct, and build off. AIs will fade into the background and will be like other computational tools we use and not think much about.

Check in here if your job no longer exists

Retail pharmacist…I guarantee the big players -Walgreens, CVS, RiteAid are looking for ways to take advantage. They’re struggling to staff their store because of poor work conditions. AI doesn’t talk back. Watch them move on this quickly to solve their staffing issues.

A new artificial intelligence system called a semantic decoder can translate a person’s brain activity—while listening to a story or silently imagining telling a story—into a continuous stream of text.

That's not creepy at all. I'm sure it'll only be used for beneficial purposes.

This is kinda surprising to see rich guys trying to do the right thing, especially when it probably costs them money. Maybe we should have a thread preparing us on how to fight back against the inevitable development of terminators. I have no idea how to even shoot most guns. I'm kinda being serious sadly.

• A new Artificial Intelligence (AI) feature, leveraging generative AI technology from IBM watsonx, will produce tennis commentary for all video highlights packages during Wimbledon
  • In a first for tennis, the IBM AI Draw Analysis feature will also provide a new statistic to define how favourable the path to the final might be for each player in the singles draw

A recent research paper published in Lancet Digital Health presents findings on a new AI application that doesn't require coding skills or high-cost hardware.​
The study reveals that the application can accurately identify severe retinopathy of prematurity (childhood blindness disease) using images sourced from a diverse dataset from the UK, Brazil, and Egypt.​
Researchers indicate that this AI model has the capability to diagnose severe retinopathy of prematurity using images captured with a different device than the one initially used to develop the model.​
Study: https://www.thelancet.com/journals/landig/article/PIIS2589-7500(23)00050-X/fulltext

So I used our software's AI tool to generate a marketing description for a home we're leasing. I had to re-write 90% and take out numerous fair housing violations.

So I used our software's AI tool to generate a marketing description for a home we're leasing. I had to re-write 90% and take out numerous fair housing violations.
I've played with some content generation using a few different AI engines (ChatGPT, Bard, etc.). They definitely seem to perform better if you beef up your prompts with specifics as well as being specific about what you are looking to get back. Give it more details and you get better results (usually). But I've had some trouble with feeding it links. For some sites, they don't seem to parse website content well, and I end up having to just copy and paste the blurb (or page) of text I want to feed it. So in your example you might get better results if you fed it a link (or list, document, etc.) with the violations and tell it not to violate any of that. That is of course if your software's AI has the ability to do that.

Users who are viewing this thread