What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Bank Failure/Crisis Thread (3 Viewers)

I seriously (barring any black swans) don’t see rates being cut till late 2024 at the earliest. That is of course the Fed does not cave to political pressure like they did in late 2018.
Not great for us that are looking at a new mortgage in the next 2 years. I don't want to give up my 2.75% for a 6.5+%
Honestly I would sit tight if you have that choice.....by late 2025 it will be in the low 4’s IMO.

If we see 2.75% again in our lifetimes.....that means we went through another great recession or some major black swan.
Isn't that what they make refis for???

Quite the pickle we have placed ourselves in.
Only when the tide goes out do you discover who's been swimming naked. -Warren Buffet
I have about a 3rd graders level of understanding in all of this...but...it seems not much here was too crazy or people being overly reckless. Some bad circumstances, some poor decision making by the bank, some unique clients, etc.

Oh and like 90% of our assets are just numbers on a screen that are worthless in reality :lol:

Only when the tide goes out do you discover who's been swimming naked. -Warren Buffet
I have about a 3rd graders level of understanding in all of this...but...it seems not much here was too crazy or people being overly reckless. Some bad circumstances, some poor decision making by the bank, some unique clients, etc.

Oh and like 90% of our assets are just numbers on a screen that are worthless in reality :lol:
The duration disparity between assets and liabilities was reckless. And crazy. It’s banking risk mgmt 101.

Seeing more and more calls for backstopping all depositor losses for all banks to avoid runs. Off we go again with privatized gains and socialized losses. And LOFL at the taxpayer not paying for these losses. Whether through the front door of income taxation or the backdoor of higher bank fees and/or broader inflation, the people will pay for this ********. History rhyming once again.
The solution to failed regulation…….More regulation and intervention!! It’s amazing right?

how do you both feel about the $800 billion the government donated to businesses/individuals? talk about privatized gains and socialized losses. i’m not knocking either one of you, but if we are calling for less government, we can’t be selectively outraged.

with all the guardrails i need to jump through on a daily basis, you’d think we actually would have something in place that works in the real world.
I don’t understand your point. Do you want me to make a full list of everything I’m outraged by, every single time I’m confronted by a topic that creates outrage? It would be a long, long list.

The duration disparity between assets and liabilities was reckless. And crazy. It’s banking risk mgmt 101.
It’s crazy that a bank this size got themselves into this situation.

What does size have to do with it?

A bigger bank would presumably not have people running it who don’t know “banking 101”.

I’d assume a higher level of competence.

Seeing more and more calls for backstopping all depositor losses for all banks to avoid runs. Off we go again with privatized gains and socialized losses. And LOFL at the taxpayer not paying for these losses. Whether through the front door of income taxation or the backdoor of higher bank fees and/or broader inflation, the people will pay for this ********. History rhyming once again.
The solution to failed regulation…….More regulation and intervention!! It’s amazing right?
If this was such an easy problem to diagnose why wouldn’t further regulation in that area make sense?

A bigger bank would presumably not have people running it who don’t know “banking 101”.

Well I am guessing reports that they didn't have a chief risk officer for 9 months last year (after the old one quit and the new one didn't get hired until January) is part of the problem.

If this was such an easy problem to diagnose why wouldn’t further regulation in that area make sense?

if all deposits were guaranteed and not a random figure of $250m, it would eliminate a run. just saying.

Well I am guessing reports that they didn't have a chief risk officer for 9 months last year (after the old one quit and the new one didn't get hired until January) is part of the problem.
That is wild. Didn’t they own these older bonds for a long time, like well before interest rates had been going up.

if all deposits were guaranteed and not a random figure of $250m, it would eliminate a run. just saying.
I mean no one is ever going to allow rich people to suffer :lol: they stepped in toot suite to make sure they all got paid out.

That’s the wrong question.

If this was such an easy problem to diagnose, and if banks are already heavily regulated, how did this happen?

See, that’s where we differ. I worked at a large, global insurance company for a decade. That experience permanently removed any belief I previously had that large = competent.

The mere fact that regulators designated two midsized banks as systemic implies they think the system is fragile. My instinct tells me that most regional and community banks are basically sound. The main thing we have to fear is fear itself cascading into bank runs that will force otherwise healthy banks to collapse.
Good article. Thanks for posting.

I highlighted the bolded in light of all the predictions the Fed will continue raising interest rates at the next meeting. Can't see how Powell can defend doing so while simultaneously de facto declaring a systemic threat largely caused by the exact same tightening policy.
If they do raise rates I think they say there are two problems with two answers. Higher rates to combat inflation and the BTFP for bank liquidity issues. They can keep raising rates while the BTFP firebreaks any financial stability issues.
Yes. But the BTFP is only backstopped to $25B in an industry of trillions. By declaring two banks systemic the Fed is admitting many more are at risk. Some quotes from a recent FT article:

The U.S. banking system’s market value of assets is $2 trillion lower than suggested by their book value of assets accounting for loan portfolios held to maturity. Marked-to-market bank assets have declined by an average of 10% across all the banks, with the bottom 5th percentile experiencing a decline of 20%.
10 percent of banks have larger unrecognized losses than those at SVB. Nor was SVB the worst capitalized bank, with 10 percent of banks having lower capitalization than SVB.

Even if only half of uninsured depositors decide to withdraw, almost 190 banks are at a potential risk of impairment to insured depositors, with potentially $300 billion of insured deposits at risk.

Prior to the recent asset declines all US banks had positive bank capitalization. However, after the recent decrease in value of bank assets, 2,315 banks accounting for $11 trillion of aggregate assets have negative capitalization. This calculation underscores that recent declines in bank asset values significantly decreased bank capitalization and bank insolvency risk.

$25bn is the Treasury’s backstop for the BTFP. The Fed can leverage that up to $250bn if not much more. It doesn’t need to cover everything. There are lots of losses in HTM portfolios but I’m not sure we know what’s been hedged. The BTFP is a backstop to other known liquidity pools the banks have, such as FHLB lines, etc. many were really surprised SVB didn’t tap FHLB before selling securities.

I think (theoretically) the Fed did enough. They learned from 07-08 you can’t half *** it.

If this was such an easy problem to diagnose, and if banks are already heavily regulated, how did this happen?
Well that is the scary part Isn’t it? These assholes who run these banks need some stiff malpractice laws similar to doctors instead of cushy golden parachutes. End of rant :lol:

I wouldn't assume that. I would assume there are more layers of bureaucracy and review by duplicative teams though.

See, that’s where we differ. I worked at a large, global insurance company for a decade. That experience permanently removed any belief I previously had that large = competent.
This bank in particular had many very finically savvy people with a ****load of money in it - many who started getting their money out last week or whenever :lol:

I would expect a bank holding this much cash of this many uber wealth would have more levels of management, more eyeballs, etc.

I wouldn't assume that. I would assume there are more layers of bureaucracy and review by duplicative teams though.
Yes this is in part what I would expect. This shouldn't have been missed by so many people until it all goes **** up and then everyone is like “oh look these people are morons”.

I seriously (barring any black swans) don’t see rates being cut till late 2024 at the earliest. That is of course the Fed does not cave to political pressure like they did in late 2018.
Not great for us that are looking at a new mortgage in the next 2 years. I don't want to give up my 2.75% for a 6.5+%
Honestly I would sit tight if you have that choice.....by late 2025 it will be in the low 4’s IMO.

If we see 2.75% again in our lifetimes.....that means we went through another great recession or some major black swan.
Isn't that what they make refis for???
The expense of moving, closing
Costs…then paying closing costs again inside two years?

Like I said…if you don’t have a choice it is what it is…if you do…..wait a bit.

Private equity firms Apollo Global Management and KKR are among the parties reviewing a book of loans held by Silicon Valley Bank, people familiar with the discussions told CNBC.

Two of those people said Apollo may be interested in acquiring a piece of the business at par. However, one of the people said it is unclear how the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation plans to proceed since the regulator may prefer a single buyer for the assets. The people CNBC spoke with requested anonymity since they weren’t authorized to share confidential details about the discussions. The people also confirmed Blackstone and Carlyle Group are among those participating in the process, which is still at an early stage.

Yes this is in part what I would expect. This shouldn't have been missed by so many people until it all goes **** up and then everyone is like “oh look these people are morons”.
Shouldn’t have been missed. Full stop.

Most people at big companies are bureaucrats. Often just checking boxes and following processes. Processes designed by other bureaucrats. Sad but true.

Because banking stress tests are a ******** potemkim exercise designed by captured and/or inept regulators.
Seems that better tests would be the problem then, no?

This is the root problem:

captured and/or inept regulators
I'd be curious if there were any tests or review processes in place for this. The way it is being explained it seems pretty straight forward.

Although it always is after the fact.

Do banks have to list where they have all their money invested? Like if they have way too much in these long term bonds they purchased years ago.
Yes and no. Banks all file public 'call reports', called the Uniform Bank Performance Report, but they may not be detailed enough to delineate what you want.

Do banks have to list where they have all their money invested? Like if they have way too much in these long term bonds they purchased years ago.
In short, yes. They also categorize them by available to sell and hold to maturity for their capital ratios, etc.
With this in mind wouldn’t there be good analysis out there for banks that were in the same predicament SVB found themselves in. I mean the situations would still be significantly different but knowing if a bank were too heavily invested in these older bonds would seem like a problem.
Yeah - there was a good scatter chart on CNBC last night. SVB was an outlier. Most banks were way safer. I didn't digest all of it, but I did see my bank, RF, was way on the other side of SVB, which is always nice.

When there is no penalty for failure you encourage all kinds of crazy risk taking. And that would happen, you can book it, if this is done. Remember all the off balance sheet CDS shenanigans from 2008? Yeah, that would happen again.

When there is no penalty for failure you encourage all kinds of crazy risk taking. And that would happen, you can book it, if this is done. Remember all the off balance sheet CDS shenanigans from 2008? Yeah, that would happen again.

but who is being penalized?

Some of the Dodd-Frank regulations were rolled back in 2018

Right. It is a fine line to walk in regulating and allowing people to take risks. I'd definitely side on the regulation heavier side of the scale when talking about banking.

With this in mind wouldn’t there be good analysis out there for banks that were in the same predicament SVB found themselves in. I mean the situations would still be significantly different but knowing if a bank were too heavily invested in these older bonds would seem like a problem.
I've seen this tweet attempt to do something like that. What matters isn't really the OCI as much as having to actually take that loss (vs holding to maturity).

don't know if you made a typo there but It's $250k max not $250m.
In the financial world $250m = $250k and $250mm = 250 million
am also in the financial world for 20+ years and absolutely never in that time have i seen someone refer to millions as "K"

millions as "mm", yes. never as "k"
MM is Roman numerals. Thousand thousands. It's really not supposed to be lowercase but I've seen that more and more lately. Lowercase m is also often used for Millions while uppercase is Thousands (Roman numerals again). k is always thousands. K is for Kilo.

Best summary I've read of the underlying issue.
Silicon Valley Bank clearly took things to extreme. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: Yea, the adults must have been on vacation and there was no supervision. They made some very poor decisions.... the only unusual thing about this is usually poor decisions that lead to a bank failure are based in lending.

Thought this was a great summary and comparison to what happened in 2008

a couple of notable TL;DR nuggets:

• Due to buying so many securities when interest rates were low that are now heavily discounted if they were to be sold, banks have a lot of unrealized losses. Over $600 billion worth of unrealized losses, in fact
  • Due to the low credit risk of most bank assets, I certainly don’t see it as a “2008 repeat” like many commentators on social media have recently. Does this acutely threaten the whole financial system? No. Is it a serious liquidity concern for many banks outside of the top ten or so? Absolutely. And that’s why the Treasury and Federal Reserve stepped in.
  • Here in 2023, small banks are already back down to cash levels they had at the time of the 2019 repo spike, while large banks aren’t yet. This draining of liquidity has sucked cash out of smaller banks at a faster rate than large banks, which didn’t really happen during the 2018-2019 period of quantitative tightening.
  • As a result of this uneven cash drain, I think it will be pretty hard for the Federal Reserve to continue interest rate increases and quantitative tightening for much longer. They could continue it for a few months more into mid-year if the Treasury General Account draws down quickly enough and offsets some of it, but outside of that, it seems that continuing to reduce the amount of bank reserves in the system risks putting a lot of banks outside of the top ten banks into a persistent liquidity problem.
  • On Sunday night, the Treasury and the Federal Reserve coordinated to make a new facility called the Bank Term Funding Program “BTFP” which lets banks use various securities at face value for loan collateral, rather than having to sell them. This gives banks a lot more liquidity against bank runs for now, but just papers over the underlying problem.
  • If the Federal Reserve does continue to push forward by raising interest rates and performing quantitative tightening, the long tail of small and medium-sized banks are at risk of ongoing liquidity drains, starting with the most vulnerable and moving up from there. If the small banks sharply raise interest rates to keep deposits, then they risk getting into solvency problems. The beneficiaries of this flight to safety would most likely be several of the the largest banks and money market funds.
  • The more the Federal Reserve tries to push interest rate increases and quantitative tightening in this business cycle, the more they will likely benefit the mega-cap J.P. Morgan Chase’s of the world over the small community banks, as reserves will likely continue to drain out of the smaller banks and threaten their liquidity profiles. The Federal Reserve’s BTFP on its own won’t prevent this process; it just make the liquidity drain out of small banks less disorderly.
  • -Smaller banks, meanwhile, aren’t out of the woods yet due to the combination of less cash on hand and significant unrealized losses sitting on their balance sheets. The majority of them, at least the publicly-traded ones, don’t have the acute solvency problems that Silicon Valley Bank had, but if they raise deposit rates to try to keep deposits then they do risk experiencing a solvency problem.
  • Policymakers will be watching the liquidity situation closely at this point, and are likely to find it difficult to keep moving forward with interest rate increases and quantitative tightening for much longer. Specifically, total U.S. bank reserves probably can’t go much below the current $3 trillion level without corresponding increases in the usage of liquidity facilities.

Last edited:

That's a pretty solid summary and I think this guy does a good job for the layman, but speaking as somebody who hasn't watched CNBC or Cramer in over a decade, WHAT THE EFF happened to his voice????
My 2nd takeaway from that clip is the Coffeezilla is skimping on his wardrobe budget, that curling collar on his dress shirt is a catastrophe. If you gonna make suspenders part of your shtick, Mr. off-brand Gekko, maybe get something nicer than a 15.99 dress shirt from H+M

But as the saying goes, from chaos comes opportunity. It seems in this case the opportunity has fallen into the lap of Bank of America, which brought in more than $15 billion in deposits as SVB sunk.

Sources familiar with the matter told Bloomberg the inflows came from fearful customers moving their money to an institution—the second biggest bank in the States—that is seen as simply too big to fail (and is considered to be so by the Federal Reserve). Indeed, the business’s latest annual report for 2022 reveals the company brought in $27.5 billion after tax and holds $3.05 trillion in assets.

Bank of America isn’t the only giant bank seeing an influx of new trade. According to reports from the Financial Times, JPMorgan is supporting its raft of new customers by shortening the waiting time for opening an account. It is also speeding up the rate at which new customers can access funds in order to ensure they can pay staff this week, confirmed a source briefed on the matter.

Citigroup has also reportedly scrambled to onboard customers, with all the large financial institutes seeing a particular push from account holders with holdings above the $250,000 threshold that is guaranteed by federal insurance—despite the government pledging they would still be covered.

One senior banker compared calls coming into the institution as akin to Chicago’s O’Hare airport on a sunny day, as other sources confirmed staff have been reassigned from their roles to deal with the mass onslaught of enquiries.

Soooo . . . how is PNC Bank doing? Seemed like they were in play to buy SVB assets, so I was thinking they are safe. But they are a regional bank basically, so who knows?

Well that is the scary part Isn’t it? These assholes who run these banks need some stiff malpractice laws similar to doctors instead of cushy golden parachutes. End of rant :lol:
We live in a society that is pathologically opposed to holding decision-makers accountable for literally anything. That's how you end up with a bunch of mediocrities running major institutions.

The markets for the world’s safest and most liquid assets, the government bonds issued by the U.S. and other rich countries, are coming under immense stress Wednesday following a week of worries about the health of global banks.
Liquidity, the capacity to trade quickly at quoted prices, has fallen sharply in two of the keystone markets, those for U.S. Treasurys and German bunds, traders said. Difficulties in trading are now spreading to many other markets, including those for derivatives that firms and traders use to lock in prices and hedge risks weeks and months ahead of time, such as options, futures and swaps.

“A trade that should take seconds took minutes,” said Jon Jonsson, a fixed income portfolio manager at Neuberger Berman.
One factor driving the disruption has been the massive flows into and out of Treasurys and bunds. Demand for these so-called haven assets typically rises in times of stress in markets, but prices for safe bonds have been under pressure for much of the past year as the Federal Reserve and other global central banks sharply raised interest rates in a bid to fend off inflation.

“You can’t have a conversation with Treasury traders without them going on a rant about Treasury liquidity,” said Hani Redha, a multiasset portfolio manager at PineBridge Investments. “That just means that moves get amplified. You’re going to get overshoots in both directions.”

Users who are viewing this thread