What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official*** Houston Astros 2018 thread / repeat? (1 Viewer)

Need a Tiger fan to update this thread??

I would take Verlander any day over Sherzer in a must win game.  Loved watching JV pitch tonight..what a gem. Max would have bailed in he knew he was not getting the loss.

I would take Verlander any day over Sherzer in a must win game.  Loved watching JV pitch tonight..what a gem. Max would have bailed in he knew he was not getting the loss.
Yes or I'm talking to myself I think. 

Great game he pitched. I think he's the last piece of the puzzle for a championship team. 

@cosjobs let’s get this thread going again with a title change. What do you say?

Good opening game yesterday. 

Love reading butthurt Rangers fans complaining on Twitter that Gallo didn’t bunt when they played 4 outfielders and no 3rd baseman on him. ?

I'm making my first trip to sweat city tomorrow to catch Shoshei pitch against the good guys. Meeting up with @Ignoramus, so alcohol may play a role. I'm going to hang around for the day game Wed., then return over the weekend for the NYY series.

Thoughts on this years team:

SP - How could it be much better? Pretty sure Peacock would be a #2-3 for about any other ream and he can't make the rotation in Hou.

RP - F'n Giles. I expect him to be back as the solid #1 at some point. Don't really like Devo as closer and I don't really want Peacock or Harris there either. I was surprised there wasn't a play for Holland. If the team has an Achilles heel, I guess this is it.

OF - Could it be better with Tucker? I had hoped Marisnick might step up and have a nice 3 way platoon with Fisher and Marwyn. Spring is great and Reddick seems like he might step up another level. Sure is nice to have Tucker in the back pocket if we need him, but would not be surprised if he stay down until rosters expand

CI - Bregman off to a slow start offensively, but still playing defense at an all-star level. I'm sure the bat will come around. Guriel good at first base and I expect offensive improvement this year, with Marwyn stealing about 20% of his ABs

C - McCann andStassi doing pretty well so far, but McCann getting a bit long in the tooth.Maybe we deal for Realmuto if the going gets tough back there.

DH - Gattis, McCann, Marwyn, Fisher - meh

Today was a beeee-youtiful day and tomorrow is supposed to be more of the same @cosjobs. Can't wait to see you and the missus. Also, Dollar Dog Night is now on Tuesdays do there's that.

Starting pitching is so fooking good, one through five. We've got to figure out the pen. Last year showed that you don't *need* a true closer. I'd rather have one than not obviously.

Bats will come around. Lineup is solid about 1 through 7 with no real easy outs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Today was a beeee-youtiful day and tomorrow is supposed to be more of the same @cosjobs. Can't wait to see you and the missus. Also, Dollar Dog Night is now on Tuesdays do there's that.

Starting pitching is so fooking good, one through five. We've got to figure out the pen. Last year showed that you don't *need* a true closer. I'd rather have one than not obviously.

Bats will come around. Lineup is solid about 1 through 7 with no real easy outs.
Yep and we could solve the lineup problem with a Tucker callup. But while I'm about sick of Gattis, I do want to see Fisher get a shot now during his little window here. 

Scouted Shoshei vs HOU this Tuesday. 

Seemed pretty impressive until I saw JV pitch Wed.

Returning Saturday to catch the A's, then NYY series

There is no way he's the fifth starter.  If the playoffs started today, he would be # 3 (which is sick considering he's probably a top 10 pitcher this year).
Truth be told Keuchel is probably the weak link from what I’ve seen. 

I would think they let him walk after contract ends. 

Anybody want my tickets for Astros/NYY Tomorrow (Thur) at 1:10?

I've been to seven of the last games and have reached saturation.

Good seats section 127. PM me here with your email and I'll send them to you

Marisnick sent to AAA. Ouch for him!

They have some guys down there putting up good stats though and hopefully whoever they call up can hit big league pitching. 

This could be the best team in history if they start hitting like last year. 

Even Keuchel seems to be in form. 

Whole team looks better than last year and with correa heating up, I'm probably going to get a free mattress.

Even Keuchel seems to be in form. 

Whole team looks better than last year and with correa heating up, I'm probably going to get a free mattress.
This might be the best team ever assembled in history. 

I got mlb extra innings this year and watched a lot of games. Honestly it didn’t seem like they were trying that hard at times and had 2 games pretty much stolen due to terrible replay decisions. 

103 wins doesn’t even indicate how good they are. 

Similar team as last year but with way better pitching. 

@cosjobs time for a thread title update. 

The astros are going to be special this year. 

Just took the reigning cy young winner to the woodshed. 

Lets see if they can beat former stro Morton tomorrow. 

Brantley>>>>>>>>Marwin 
If Correa or Bregman or Altuve go down or need a break, I'd take Marwin. And the way Marwin delivered in the ultimate clutch situation in the world series? Brantly's going to need more than a nice afternoon. Don't get me wrong I love the BRantley aquisition, but Marwin was valuable and under-appreciated. What I do like is Reddick was on the bench and Marisnick in center. He's so good defensively, I think I'd do that regularly until Josh gets off the schneid or Tucker hits his way back to the show.

He shows no sign up letting up. I think that two year extension was a smart move. 

If Correa or Bregman or Altuve go down or need a break, I'd take Marwin. And the way Marwin delivered in the ultimate clutch situation in the world series? Brantly's going to need more than a nice afternoon. Don't get me wrong I love the BRantley aquisition, but Marwin was valuable and under-appreciated. What I do like is Reddick was on the bench and Marisnick in center. He's so good defensively, I think I'd do that regularly until Josh gets off the schneid or Tucker hits his way back to the show.
I agree with all that. He just wanted too much money and Diaz will be close to what he was for far less money. Frees up money to extend guys like Breg and Verlander. 

I agree with all that. He just wanted too much money and Diaz will be close to what he was for far less money. Frees up money to extend guys like Breg and Verlander. 
I liked Diaz a couple years ago, but I hope spring training and first game are not indicators. If we had kept JD Davis, I would have preferred him

Beautiful game tonight by Cole, but sabotaged by Diaz. Guriel got the second error, but that throw was not good. Diaz needs to step it up, as does Yuli, defensively. The focus has been on new blood in the OF, but 1B and backup IF may need replacing before that. 

I wonder if Yordan could play first and let Yuli be UT for half the IF?

Brantley looking good on his small sample size.

If freaking Correa could find a way out of the trainer's room, a lot of our other IF concerns would be resolved. His affinity for injuries is starting to really concern me. I think he needs to take a month off and get shot up with a bunch of stem cells. If doesn't finish out the season injury-free, look to alternatives. I think they should go ahead and move Bregman to SS now. 3B is easier to fill defensively.

This lineup might be the best in baseball history. 

Bring up Yordan to DH and jettison White and it’s even better. 

Users who are viewing this thread