What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official Lodge 49 (AMC Series) Thread *** (1 Viewer)

JaxBill

Footballguy
Anybody watching this? It's on after Better Call Saul on AMC. It's kind of hard to categorize- quirky comedic drama? 

Series overview-

A light-hearted, endearing modern fable set in Long Beach, California about a disarmingly optimistic local ex-surfer, Dud (Russell), who's drifting after the death of his father and collapse of the family business. Dud serendipitously finds himself on the doorstep of a rundown fraternal lodge, where a middle-aged plumbing salesman and "Luminous Knight" of the order, Ernie (Jennings), welcomes him into a world of cheap beer, easy camaraderie and the promise of Alchemical mysteries that may -- or may not -- put Dud on the path to recover the idyllic life he's lost.

I like it but it's not going to be for everyone.  Its got enough of weird in it that I'm intrigued as to where its going.  Seen 3 episodes so far.

That being said, I don't think the leads are great actors and could be where I sour on it if it starts to stumble.

I like it but it's not going to be for everyone.  Its got enough of weird in it that I'm intrigued as to where its going.  Seen 3 episodes so far.

That being said, I don't think the leads are great actors and could be where I sour on it if it starts to stumble.
Yeah I'm more drawn into Ernie's plot line than the twins. Their dynamic seems so strange and hard to believe. But at least she fills out her Shamrocks uniform well.

Episode 3 was a step in the right direction IMO. More friction between the twins and the goldbricker had to finally get a temp job.

Not sure i get the need to flesh out the plotline of Ernie's wife.

It really seems like I'd be into this show (allusions to Pynchon and all), but I can't keep up with the flood of new shows I want to watch (and am already invested in).  Hell, I'm an episode behind BCS.  Ozark, It's Always Sunny, Bojack Horseman (9/14), Iron Fist, AHS (didn't watch the last 2 but this one looks better) ...

May have to see the verdict on this one and binge later.

NYRAGE said:
I loved the first season.  It's one of those show that's hard to explain, but I loved the quirky characters and I've enjoyed it. I'm actually shocked it was re-newed, but apparently the critics seem to love it, too
I loved it too, and it's basically impossible to explain why. I tried to explain it to my wife last night and found myself totally at a loss for words

I think maybe part of it is that it does that "expanded universe" thing where you get to know and love secondary characters and get a feel for the setting that animated shows and a few sitcoms do really well but dramas usually don't because they're focused on the narratives on the main characters. This drama pulled it off. That's not all of it, though. Something about the way it's shot, too, with the colors and whatnot.  I dunno. Like I said it's almost impossible to describe.

Anyway, FBGs looking for a binge who don't mind some slow pacing out of the gate- give it a shot.

Finished the season, somehow although I don't know why, it kept me sort of interested throughout.   I wanted to like it a lot, thought it was the kind of show that would really appeal to me but it didn't that much.  I think it was the characters, I found it hard to like most of them. The only one that one me over was the sister, Liz.  Dud and Ernie both annoyed me for different reasons.  

I was really surprised to see that the critics loved it.  It didn't seem that well written to me.  

Also was not crazy about the finale, had that been better, my review may have changed a little here.

Really surprised it got renewed for second season.  I don't know anyone that watches it and obviously not many people in here, just 11 replies so far.  Even Reddit does not have that much activity in comparison to most shows.

I really like this show a lot and I completely get that it's not for everyone but I think one of the reasons I like this show so much is because it's so out there.  Good stuff!

Users who are viewing this thread