What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official New Orleans Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Nah. There’ll be some street flooding here and there, but this won’t be some national-news-making storm. Next week is looking wet, though, even after the main brunt passes through.
Didn’t even wake me up when it passed through 

Nah. There’ll be some street flooding here and there, but this won’t be some national-news-making storm.
Didn’t even wake me up when it passed through 
Yeah, it wasn't an issue for the N.O. metro area, though there was some localized flooding of the marshland communities well south of the city.

Forecasts still call for rain all through next week, but downgraded to "Scattered Showers" with daily rainfall amounts falling sharply after Monday. Monday is still predicted to be a healthy ~1" rain during the day.

Wife and I are heading down from June 23-28th.  We will celebrate her birthday while on the trip and have been in places like Savannah and Nashville over her birthday as well in recent years.  We are not big drinkers/partiers and are in our mid-40s.  Not huge fans of oysters either.  We just want to wander around, eat some good food, and take in the whole atmosphere/vibe.  From looking at this thread and talking to others I know this is our current plan.  We are staying at the Omni Royal Orleans Hotel.  

Day 1 (we fly down and get there mid-afternoon):  Dinner at Dickie Brennan's Steakhouse.   

Day 2:  Walking tour of French Quarter in the morning.  Get some beignets and coffee at Cafe Beignet.  Lunch- get a muffaletta at Central Grocery or Po Boy at Johnny's.  Dinner scheduled in the courtyard at Cafe Amelie.  

Day 3:  Find more coffee and beignets in the morning - maybe try Cafe DuMond.  Ride the St. Charles street car.  Walking tour of the Garden District.  Whatever we don't get for lunch we will get today.  Dinner at Mr. B's.  

Day 4:  Breakfast at Ruby Slipper.  Gray Line tour of Oak Alley plantation.  Dinner at Restaurant R'evolution.  

Day 5:  Wander around the French Market.  I think there is a crepe place we may try out since my wife likes those.  Dinner at GW Fins.  

We also intend to fit in:

Wandering around Frenchman Street.

Carousel Bar at Hotel Monteleone

Hurricane at Pat O'Brien's

Grasshopper at Tujague's 

Frozen Irish Coffee at Molly's Market

Pretty touristy stuff but we are looking forward to all of it once we get there.  

Is it easiest to just take a cab to/from the airport?  From what I can tell it seems like they charge a flat $36 to drive you one way which is about the same, if not cheaper, than uber/lyft.  
We ended up having a great trip.  Wonderful town, great atmosphere and people.  I am really glad to see the city reopen and for the businesses to get their customers back.  

A few of my takeaways:

Dickie Brennan's wasn't that great.  I know others in this thread had mixed feelings about the place but put me in the "go somewhere else" camp.

Mr. B's was great.  I never ate drum fish but I had it there and it was phenomenal.  Wife liked their blood orange margarita too so we went back later in the trip to get drinks at their bar.

Restaurant R'evolution and GW Fins were wonderful and the service is out of this world.  For what we spent I didn't expect anything less but thanks to all who recommended both places.  

We hit Cafe DuMond when we got down on a late Wednesday afternoon which was good timing.  We went to the back takeout window and were like 5th in line.  The line was nuts the rest of the trip, particularly once more people came into town on Friday night and Saturday for a weekend stay.  We also got beignets are Cafe Beignet.  Both are good but I liked the DuMond ones more.  

Breakfast at Ruby Slipper was good.  Just make sure you get on the wait list in advance.  

The roast beef Po Boy at Johnny's was out of this world good.  The muffaletta at Central Grocery was also great - we had it twice while down there.  I am not a fan of olives but I actually liked the olive spread.  Ate some Voodoo chips with the sandwich too.  

We did the free tours by foot walking tours and they were okay.  Learned some cool info but they were pretty basic.  For the Garden District tour we took the St. Charles street car to get there.  We ended up going up and down the entire St. Charles line to look at stuff as it drove by.  Really cool experience.  Apparently the Manning house is in the Garden District because they showed it to us when we were walking around.  Zion also bought his mom a house there too that he is supposedly trying to fix up - no For Sale signs on it yet so maybe he will return to the Pelicans next season :)

We missed out on Camellia Grill while in the Garden District.  Maybe next time...

Oak Alley plantation tour was okay.  It was a nice break to get outside the city for a bit and see the surrounding area.  But it took up a lot of time that in hindsight we may have been able to spend on other stuff.

Never got to sit at the Carousel Bar.  Every time we went it was jammed with a line.  We did have a frozen Irish Coffee at Molly's that was okay but nothing special.  We also got a Hurricane at Pat O'Brien's.  The wife also really liked getting frozen alcohol drinks at the French Market when we went there.  It was insanely hot and humid when we were down there the first few days.  

Royal Omni Orleans hotel was a great location.  We could walk anywhere or get to the Canal Street stop for the St. Charles streetcar to the Garden District.

Thanks to everyone for sharing their recommendations/advice in this thread and helping my wife and I have a wonderful trip together!  

Taking this girl to New Orleans in May.  I'm real excited.  I loved staying at the Troubadour but it's like $948 for 3 nights.  Any recommendations on a good place near the French Quarter?  I should probably look at airbnbs right.  Just looking for good value 

Taking this girl to New Orleans in May.  I'm real excited.  I loved staying at the Troubadour but it's like $948 for 3 nights.  Any recommendations on a good place near the French Quarter?  I should probably look at airbnbs right.  Just looking for good value 
https://rathbonemansions.com/amenities

Are you going during jazz fest? It ends on the 8th? Prices will be high till after that. 

I had a romantic weekend at this spot above, and loved it. 

I stayed off Bourbon St the entire time. If your lady is attractive, you should too. It's no fun being the only guy on the street with a cute woman. 

Heading down the weekend of the 26th. Don't have much planned other than enjoying the city.

Looking for a nice restaurant for Saturday night Feb 26th. Just 4 people, maybe a steak & seafood place with nice, mellow atmosphere. 

Any suggestions?

Heading down the weekend of the 26th. Don't have much planned other than enjoying the city.

Looking for a nice restaurant for Saturday night Feb 26th. Just 4 people, maybe a steak & seafood place with nice, mellow atmosphere. 

Any suggestions?

scan through this thread ...

August

Re'Volution

G.W. Fins

go to Drago's for chargrilled oysters.

...and of course ...Commander's Palace

Any suggestions?
Check out Luke 

https://maps.app.goo.gl/pkCU4VPj22jqUTCR6

I was there for a week, and it was my favorite spot. Fun, buzzy, surprisingly affordable. 

Looking for a nice restaurant for Saturday night Feb 26th.
Wait a minute, @Wingnut -- this is in the teeth of Mardi Gras season. Mardi Gras Day is the following Tuesday (March 1) and the weekend that you're coming is a major parade weekend.

If Mardi Gras is what you're coming for, of course you'll have a great time. But if the parades and all are NOT what you're coming for, you'll have to work to avoid parade routes, traffic snarls, closed streets, etc. And that will influence the feasibility of some of the restaurants suggested to you here.

Toup's Meatery is about a block off of a major parade route, and will be difficult to access and packed to the gills all day. Luke is not as close to the route, but it's so close to so many major hotels that it will be a mob scene full of tourists by Saturday evening.

Can you either post or PM something about where you'll be staying (part of town, at least) and whether or not you're looking to engage in the Mardi Gras happenings that weekend?

Can you either post or PM something about where you'll be staying (part of town, at least) and whether or not you're looking to engage in the Mardi Gras happenings that weekend?

Maaaaan, if I wasn't going down for Mardi Gras, I would NOT go to New Orleans. 

Wait a minute, @Wingnut -- this is in the teeth of Mardi Gras season. Mardi Gras Day is the following Tuesday (March 1) and the weekend that you're coming is a major parade weekend.

If Mardi Gras is what you're coming for, of course you'll have a great time. But if the parades and all are NOT what you're coming for, you'll have to work to avoid parade routes, traffic snarls, closed streets, etc. And that will influence the feasibility of some of the restaurants suggested to you here.

Toup's Meatery is about a block off of a major parade route, and will be difficult to access and packed to the gills all day. Luke is not as close to the route, but it's so close to so many major hotels that it will be a mob scene full of tourists by Saturday evening.

Staying at the Marquee Hotel on Elk Pl between Canal and Common St.

We plan on checking out the main parade on Saturday, but other than that we're just going down there to hang out and have fun for a couple of days. Saturday night is the only night I wanna have concrete dinner plans for. The rest of the time we're gonna wing it.

Last edited by a moderator:

We plan on checking out the main parade on Saturday, but other than that we're just going down there to hang out and have fun for a couple of days. Saturday night is the only night I wanna have concrete dinner plans for. The rest if the time we're gonna wing it.

Close to where I stayed. We liked Willa Jean for brunch/Bloodys/Frose.  

Has kind of a cafe/bakery vibe rather than a classic restaurant.  

We plan on checking out the main parade on Saturday, but other than that we're just going down there to hang out and have fun for a couple of days. Saturday night is the only night I wanna have concrete dinner plans for. The rest of the time we're gonna wing it.
Between Friday 2/25 and Sunday 2/27, there will be 10 parades passing within a few blocks of your hotel -- eight major parades and two super-krewes.

The main parade you're talking about on Saturday is Endymion, which is one of the super-krewes. The other nine parades will all pass down St. Charles Avenue going north-eastward -- those will all be about a 15 minute walk from your hotel. Endymion is the exception -- it will basically pass right in front of your hotel going south-westward  starting ~6:00 p.m. (parade timing is not exact, they stop and start a lot).

In any case: On Saturday the 26th, your options to drive our of the area around your hotel are pretty limited as your hotel will be boxed in by two parade routes. It will be difficult to just call a taxi or an Uber and go wherever you want to go. Calling for a ride might work one moment, but then five minutes later a street gets closed off and you'll be stuck somewhere for a long while.

I'll post more later ... just want to put it in your head that you will have to plan very carefully, and on that specific day (Sat 2/26) you won't be able to readily go to anywhere you might want to go.

What a fun weekend! 3 days before we went, our Air B&B got canceled, and somehow we were able to get rooms at the Blake Hotel, which is on St Charles and Poydras - perfect, it was where all the parades seemed to pass by.

We caught several parades from right outside our hotel which was awesome cuz we were front row and had food vendors, booze, bathrooms, and our room steps away.  The rest of the time we stayed close to the quarter for the most part. Traffic was insanity, somehow we were able to take Ubers to a few places that were too far to walk, but they were of course pricey due to the high demand, and it took a while to get even a few miles because of all the parade routes 

Slme of the places we ate included:

Galliers Oyster Bar (really good)
Royal House Oyster Bar (great)
Gris Gris (fantastic)
Manning Sports Bar (ok)
Joey K's (good)
The Original French Market Restaurant (awesome)
Johnny Sanchez (really good)

We also hit a few spots in the quarter for quick bites, but I couldn't tell you what they were...Bourbon Street was absolutely packed, wall to wall people, and it was a blast.

Bourbon St Sat Nite 

I'm thinking about going on the second Saturday or Sunday.  I'll buy y'all a beer if I can make it.

Sorry to have missed you, it was a bit hectic. Wife blew out a knee, but thankfully she's a trooper and just camped out in a folding chair under a tree by the Fais Do Do stage.

Anyway, since returning from your fair city I have gotten the two best nights of sleep I've had in a long time. I've also lost 6 pounds in 48 hours. Can't think of a better way to summarize/compliment your hometown.

Sorry to have missed you, it was a bit hectic. Wife blew out a knee, but thankfully she's a trooper and just camped out in a folding chair under a tree by the Fais Do Do stage.

Anyway, since returning from your fair city I have gotten the two best nights of sleep I've had in a long time. I've also lost 6 pounds in 48 hours. Can't think of a better way to summarize/compliment your hometown.
I appreciate it, but I wasn't able to make it this year.  I ended up helping a friend work the food truck fest up here on the Northshore.  Sorry we didn't get a chance to have a beer.  Sounds like you did it the right way though, maybe we can try again next year.

I’m out here again just passing the time

Any good bars around here for young/weird people?  Don’t wanna say ‘hipster’ but I guess that’s what I’m getting at 

I’m out here again just passing the time

Any good bars around here for young/weird people?  Don’t wanna say ‘hipster’ but I guess that’s what I’m getting at 
You check out Frenchman St? Met plenty of weird people bar hopping/listening to music there.

Bump…
I will be there later this week and curious if there are new places I should check out or if any of the classics mentioned in this thread no longer exist.

Users who are viewing this thread