What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** Prospects and Mid-Season Callup Thread (3 Viewers)

I'm in a daily Yahoo H2H category league where you keep 10 players yearly. Start 3 OF and one Util. I have the ability to stash one of these guys in the "NA" slot. I currently have Kris Bryant in one NA slot, and I have room for one more. Here are my likely keepers:

9 pretty much locks: Cabrera, Felix, Tanaka, Sale, Marte, Choo, Kipnis, Bumgarner, Bryant

Then one of: Rosario, Victorino, Bogaerts, Jennings (also have Brantley/AJax...which is too many OFs but I can't seem to move one...and Masterson/Buehrle)

Who would you stash? Not sure if there is a legit 2015 keeper below (I mean there are, but maybe not with my roster above)...so I may be looking strictly for impact this year.

Pederson, Betts, Lindor, Salazar, Appel, Gray, Giolito, Russell

I'm in a daily Yahoo H2H category league where you keep 10 players yearly. Start 3 OF and one Util. I have the ability to stash one of these guys in the "NA" slot. I currently have Kris Bryant in one NA slot, and I have room for one more. Here are my likely keepers:

9 pretty much locks: Cabrera, Felix, Tanaka, Sale, Marte, Choo, Kipnis, Bumgarner, Bryant

Then one of: Rosario, Victorino, Bogaerts, Jennings (also have Brantley/AJax...which is too many OFs but I can't seem to move one...and Masterson/Buehrle)

Who would you stash? Not sure if there is a legit 2015 keeper below (I mean there are, but maybe not with my roster above)...so I may be looking strictly for impact this year.

Lindor will be the starting SS for Cleveland next year, and if they continue to stink, by August 1st. Pederson is just with the wrong franchise, he is killing PCL pitching but he hit for lots of power at AA also. I mean Kemp and Crawford could die right? I think to promote him he has to play every day, but he's gonna at least get a September call up I would think.

Gray is a guy that could break through this year but man it's hard to get excited about a rockies pitcher, even one this good. Betts, Appel, Russell and Giolito are 2016 impact guys but the first two could see some time next year IMO.

Lindor will be the starting SS for Cleveland next year, and if they continue to stink, by August 1st. Pederson is just with the wrong franchise, he is killing PCL pitching but he hit for lots of power at AA also. I mean Kemp and Crawford could die right? I think to promote him he has to play every day, but he's gonna at least get a September call up I would think.

Gray is a guy that could break through this year but man it's hard to get excited about a rockies pitcher, even one this good. Betts, Appel, Russell and Giolito are 2016 impact guys but the first two could see some time next year IMO.
Thanks. I had a preliminary narrow down to Lindor, Pederson and Salazar. I too think Lindor will be up around the trading deadline when the Tribe shuffles away Cabrera. I'm just not sure what kind of offense we're going to get this year, and even next year. Pederson is the opposite, I want that offense, but like you said he's just stuck. Salazar would simply be hoping he rights what was wrong and comes back in June/July with the kind of production we were expecting in April/May...no keeper value, but maybe some trade value later in the year in a league with weak FA pitching.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks. I had a preliminary narrow down to Lindor, Pederson and Salazar. I too think Lindor will be up around the trading deadline when the Tribe shuffles away Cabrera. I'm just not sure what kind of offense we're going to get this year, and even next year. Pederson is the opposite, I want that offense, but like you said he's just stuck. Salazar would simply be hoping he rights what was wrong and comes back in June/July with the kind of production we were expecting in April/May...no keeper value, but maybe some trade value later in the year in a league with weak FA pitching.
Bob, are you talking Danny Salazar? I think he has tremendous keeper value. These young power pitchers have rough patches, he's got a huge arm and he had some BABIP and fly ball issues. He's going to allow homers but his control was better this year and his line drive rate was actually better than last year. His ERA is 5.53, his xFIP is 3.84.

Not great but I think the combination of more flyballs and some bad luck did him in. I see him being back by July and all those Ks is enticing. I'd like to see him use his change more, going from 97 to 86 is going to only increase his value. I'm hoping the guy who has him in my keeper drops him, but I'm guessing I won't be that lucky. I'm definitely holding him in my deep keeper, I have Kluber there also. Go Tribe?

Bob, are you talking Danny Salazar? I think he has tremendous keeper value. These young power pitchers have rough patches, he's got a huge arm and he had some BABIP and fly ball issues. He's going to allow homers but his control was better this year and his line drive rate was actually better than last year. His ERA is 5.53, his xFIP is 3.84.

Not great but I think the combination of more flyballs and some bad luck did him in. I see him being back by July and all those Ks is enticing. I'd like to see him use his change more, going from 97 to 86 is going to only increase his value. I'm hoping the guy who has him in my keeper drops him, but I'm guessing I won't be that lucky. I'm definitely holding him in my deep keeper, I have Kluber there also. Go Tribe?
Go Tribe! lol

Yes I'm talking Danny. I didn't mean no value across the board...I'm just not sure how much he'd have in this league unless he comes back dominating...and that would put me at 5 SP keepers out of 10 spots. Regardless, I'm going to have to do some wheeling and dealing at some point. I like your points and I think I'm gonna grab him.

Cards' GM hinting June 4th is when we might see Taveras. They start an AL stretch then, opening up a DH spot (for him or Craig/Adams).

Taveras getting the call per StlSportsPage.com
Yeah, St Louis have the Royals next week and are in need of using a DH for two games. It is thought Taveras will be plying about five games a week, no reason to call him up and then not use him. Looking forward to seeing this flower bloom. :popcorn:

Smack Tripper said:
Doctor Detroit said:
Smack Tripper said:
Plugged Oscar right in the lineup in both of my leagues and HR in his second AB :towelwave:
My link
Man, he looks like more of a masher than I expected, I heard 15-20 HR power but I could see more than that as a regular.

Yes I base this off one gif, ban me. Tree Trunk legs on that boy.
I've heard 30 homer upside on him and a lot of doubles. He's very young but he has all the natural skills necessary to be a very above average if not elite hitter.

What can we expect from Singleton? I signed him on spec because I'm a bit thin at 1b in my leagues.

And with that said, any good 2b-ss-3b folks likely to come up? Hearing about Franco in Philly, I know Baez is chicago, anyone else on the horizon?

Kris bryant in chicago may be up before baez at this point. Lindor in cleveland is a matter of time too
Just grabbed him to along with Polanco and Singleton (and Baez already owned).

Very curious to see what happens with the CHI guys. Alcantara was playing some OF last week. At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if saw all three come up in the next couple of months, but it doesn't seem like any of the 3 are guaranteed to be up at all this year.

No idea with Bryant, but I would be pissed if a dude with that much power got the call and I didn't have him.

Eddie butler
not even 100 innings above a ball and is just striking out six per nine in those aa innings.
Good HR/9 numbers though. Keeping the ball down in Coors will compensate a bit for not missing bats.
long term, yes. Short term, risk is justified with young arms that get a lot of strikeouts. If they don't? Wait til they figure it out like Henderson Alvarez is now and pick him up instead.

Probably a little ways off, but don't sleep of Matt Wisler SP SD - he'll be up in the 2nd H and if anyone has him available, stashing Archie Bradley now is also a nice move if you have the roster space.

Taijuan Walker could be up this weekend.
I am not sure about that. He only went 3 IP on May 28th and 2 IP last night. It is possible that he got more work in after the start in the Pen, but just saw the stats on MILB.com. Just an FYI.

ETA: From RW: Mariners manager Lloyd McClendon said Wednesday that Taijuan Walker (shoulder) will make another rehab start "if not more."

The feeling had been that Walker's start Tuesday at Triple-A Tacoma would be a final tune-up, but that plan has changed after the righty walked four while lasting just two innings. Walker appears to be healthy, but he needs to knock some rust off after making through a total of five frames in his two rehab starts

Polanco got moved to leadoff. With Marte being moved out of there I imagine that's where he'll bat when he gets called up unless Josh Harrison keeps acting like Jesus.

Plorfu said:
Polanco got moved to leadoff. With Marte being moved out of there I imagine that's where he'll bat when he gets called up unless Josh Harrison keeps acting like Jesus.
And I read Polanco is due this weekend

Plorfu said:
I keep seeing different timetables. I honestly have no clue what the actual date is to avoid Super 2.

Plorfu said:
I keep seeing different timetables. I honestly have no clue what the actual date is to avoid Super 2.
From what I can understand, it's not tied to any specific date.

http://www.fangraphs.com/library/business/super-two/

Polanco to Pittsburgh Friday. Given the hype and he recent bias of Springer and Singleton I strongly recommend selling. Short term he probably isn't all that different from the guy he is replacing, but you should find someone that expects him to be a star right away.

I hope he is inconsistent but shows some signs of life so I can target him next year.

Pirates risk alienating their fans if they don't call Polanco up. If josh Harrison is must play, send marte down. And I own marte and Polanco.

Pirates risk alienating their fans if they don't call Polanco up. If josh Harrison is must play, send marte down. And I own marte and Polanco.
Saw a report they are pushing it back to next week to finish negotiating. Probably smart. Maybe get him to sign a foolish contract while holding him hostage in AAA until he signs.

I don't see them sending down the guy they just signed to a $31 million extension
I don't either but at the end of the day Polanco likely makes them better. I think everyone understood why he was held out til now. If a hot streak by a non prospect can keep Polanco in the minors, there are ways to serve both masters

Smack Tripper said:
Michael Brown said:
I don't see them sending down the guy they just signed to a $31 million extension
I don't either but at the end of the day Polanco likely makes them better. I think everyone understood why he was held out til now. If a hot streak by a non prospect can keep Polanco in the minors, there are ways to serve both masters
Harrison could play INF too for at bats. Maybe even first.

cheese said:
Smack Tripper said:
Michael Brown said:
Smack Tripper said:
Harrison could play INF too for at bats. Maybe even first.
Or just have Harrison play 2B and Walker play 1B.

Joey Gallo promoted to AA (which really sucks because I was hoping to see him pass through Lynchburg sometime this season).

You guys don't think he's got an oustide shot at a call-up this year, do you? TEX corner infielders are dropping like flies.

Joey Gallo promoted to AA (which really sucks because I was hoping to see him pass through Lynchburg sometime this season).

You guys don't think he's got an oustide shot at a call-up this year, do you? TEX corner infielders are dropping like flies.
I thought I read he got promoted to AAA so I picked him up this weekend. Saw it was AA and that was that. :thumbdown:

Well, polanco finally got the call up. Harold on mlb network comparing his swing to griffey

Uhhhh no

But i do see a lot of similarities to darryl strawberry. Not on the approach, but on the follow-through. Very long loopy swing, but under control

The Giants call up 2B Joe Panik. He was their 2011 first rounder out of St. John's. There's not much power or speed for fantasy purposes. Hopefully, the Giants will give him a shot to play every day but you never know with this organization.

Cardinals are promoting LHP Marco Gonzalez to start on Wednesday. He was their 2013 1st rounder out of Gonzaga and has all of 38 2/3 IP above A ball.

The scouting report is he's a crafty lefty without overpowering stuff. But he's a young Cardinals pitcher so hell yeah, I picked him up.

Cardinals are promoting LHP Marco Gonzalez to start on Wednesday. He was their 2013 1st rounder out of Gonzaga and has all of 38 2/3 IP above A ball.

The scouting report is he's a crafty lefty without overpowering stuff. But he's a young Cardinals pitcher so hell yeah, I picked him up.
Whats the Wacha prognosis?

A couple days ago John Farrell was being interviewed and brought up Mookie Betts unprovoked. He's doing 321/402/457 at AAA. Red Sox could certainly use the outfield help.

Taijuan Walker update

Struggling starter Erasmo Ramirez was optioned to Triple-A Tacoma by the Mariners, with newly converted reliever Brandon Maurer recalled to take his roster spot in time to join Seattle’s bullpen for Wednesday night’s game with the Red Sox.

The move opens up a spot in the Mariners rotation that will need to be filled by Monday, which would have been Ramirez’s next turn when Seattle opens a six-game road trip in Houston. No decision has been announced on who’ll start that game, but all signs point to top prospect Taijuan Walker (pictured) being ready to join the club after throwing a four-hit shutout for Tacoma on Tuesday night against Oklahoma City.

Since Walker can’t throw again until Monday, there’s no point in adding him to the 25-man roster now. Instead, the club added Maurer to help out in the bullpen, where he’s been pitching well in Tacoma.

Mookie Betts on the way in case you missed it, very annoyed that I missed on him. He's billed as a blocked second baseman but he has SS and will gain OF elgibility

Cuban righthander Raisel Iglesias has signed a seven-year major league contract with the Reds, the team announced Friday. The deal is for $27 million, according to MLB.com’s Mark Sheldon.At 5-foot-11, 165 pounds, Iglesias was primarily used as a reliever while pitching for Isla De La Juventud and the Cuban national team. Several scouts project Iglesias as a bullpen arm, but the Reds plan to begin his development in the minors as a starter and believe he can reach the big leagues in that role.
He's very unlikely to be with the big club this season but at age 24 (or older), the Reds will probably be aggressive with his development.

Cuban righthander Raisel Iglesias has signed a seven-year major league contract with the Reds, the team announced Friday. The deal is for $27 million, according to MLB.com’s Mark Sheldon.

At 5-foot-11, 165 pounds, Iglesias was primarily used as a reliever while pitching for Isla De La Juventud and the Cuban national team. Several scouts project Iglesias as a bullpen arm, but the Reds plan to begin his development in the minors as a starter and believe he can reach the big leagues in that role.
He's very unlikely to be with the big club this season but at age 24 (or older), the Reds will probably be aggressive with his development.
He took Roger Bernadina's spot on the 40. I'd say there's probably a solid chance he's a September callup as a reliever.

Users who are viewing this thread