What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

**Official Retirement Thread** (1 Viewer)

SouthJersey said:
This seems like a horrible deal unless someone in your family has serious chronic medical conditions.  For a relatively healthy family you can get a cheaper high deductable plan an just pay out of pocket.  I would think it would come out to less than $40k/yr
We will look into it but wanted to have continuous coverage during the transition.  I agree it's pricey.

So say I am 55 and will be retire by end of 2019.  Looking for a new location in the southeast for the long term.  My situation will be a little different as my grandson will be 12 at that time and moving with us - so still got to work about middle school and high school.

Any advice on what I should be doing now to better prepare for that time?  

Is anyone that is retired still contributing to retirement accounts?

I need to do something as I'm sitting on quite a bit of cash.  No real need for it in the foreseeable future.  I don't have a w2 anymore so I can't contribute to a 401k,  Likely over the income limit for our Roths this year.  Currently just maxing wifes HSA and putting some in 529s.  She does have a 403b we haven't put anything in for a while, so I suppose we could start there.

The Dude said:
So say I am 55 and will be retire by end of 2019.  Looking for a new location in the southeast for the long term.  My situation will be a little different as my grandson will be 12 at that time and moving with us - so still got to work about middle school and high school.

Any advice on what I should be doing now to better prepare for that time?  
What are your priorities? 

City living? Suburb? Presumably schools are important for now.  Near the beach or mountains?  Do you want to be near a major airport? 

Is anyone that is retired still contributing to retirement accounts?

I need to do something as I'm sitting on quite a bit of cash.  No real need for it in the foreseeable future.  I don't have a w2 anymore so I can't contribute to a 401k,  Likely over the income limit for our Roths this year.  Currently just maxing wifes HSA and putting some in 529s.  She does have a 403b we haven't put anything in for a while, so I suppose we could start there.
Hell, yes!

What are your priorities? 

City living? Suburb? Presumably schools are important for now.  Near the beach or mountains?  Do you want to be near a major airport? 
Thanks for the reply.  TN, SC, NC, AL, FL, VA would be front runners.  Good schools are big.  Good university within state or within those states would be a plus.  Suburbs but I want to be close to city.  Not in the mountains but near would be good.

we do not.  What little we make in part time jobs just goes in the bank towards daily living expenses.
I know we have multiple retirement threads, but since this is the "official" one I wanted to revisit this topic here.  What kinds of jobs are people doing part-time after retiring from their careers?  I'm "only" 45 so have a long way to go.  But I'm becoming a bit obsessed with the possibilities of retirement, while understanding that if I want to do so early I'll need to continue to earn some income for several years to allow my very non-Chet nest egg to last longer.

I've been in technology sales which is a nice career but I haven't figured out how the skills and experience that I have would translate into that semi-retirement phase of life.  And if there isn't a path to that part time gig with my current resume, what skills or experience should I look to develop in the next 10 years or so that will expand my options?

My wife and I were planning September and she said, "Wow.  This is impressive.  You've managed to get some of your boys' weekends during the middle of the week." :thumbup:  

I know we have multiple retirement threads, but since this is the "official" one I wanted to revisit this topic here.  What kinds of jobs are people doing part-time after retiring from their careers?  I'm "only" 45 so have a long way to go.  But I'm becoming a bit obsessed with the possibilities of retirement, while understanding that if I want to do so early I'll need to continue to earn some income for several years to allow my very non-Chet nest egg to last longer.

I've been in technology sales which is a nice career but I haven't figured out how the skills and experience that I have would translate into that semi-retirement phase of life.  And if there isn't a path to that part time gig with my current resume, what skills or experience should I look to develop in the next 10 years or so that will expand my options?
I work in a library 8 hours a week as a night time steward (7:45pm to 9:45pm nights a week). Pay is $15.50 an hour to literally play video games on my lap top.

The key to retirement work is to look for work that no one else with normal work hours wants to take.  My wife volunteers at the library and the director told her that no one was interviewing for the night time position because the hours were so small.

My wife asked me to help out until the director could find some one permanent. That was 6 years ago and I am still there :)

Users who are viewing this thread