What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Nationals ongoing thread (3 Viewers)

Starlin Castro to the Nats.  2 years 12 million.  People are saying we aren't out of the Donaldson bidding which would mean Kieboom is headed back to the minors, or maybe traded for a 3B.  

Starlin Castro to the Nats.  2 years 12 million.  People are saying we aren't out of the Donaldson bidding which would mean Kieboom is headed back to the minors, or maybe traded for a 3B.  
Yeah, I could see him as a trade bait, as was discussed in the FFA thread too, as they seem to have a glut of players there now.  With Asdrubal back in the mix, it seems like they are accumulating 30+ year olds with IF positional flexibility (Kendrick, Castro, and Cabrera). The Nats #2 prospect, Luis Garcia, is another player who is thought of as a future middle IF, but he’s more on the 2022 ETA timeline (and is viewed as having more SS than Kieboom, so he may be the Trea Turner FA protection).

It is a interesting what they are doing.  If Donaldson goes elsewhere, maybe they think have enough Plan B options at 3B between Cabrera, Castro, and maybe Kieboom (although none are great defensive options there), fill out the infield with players like Zim and Thames, and use the extra cash elsewhere — maybe find a 5th pitcher that has been eluding them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dave Martinez saying Carter Kieboom is the plan at 3B.  Link

I'm a bit surprised by that, as he had four errors in 10 games at 3B in AAA last year.  And they already seemed to destroy his confidence a bit at SS last year already.  I thought more likely was Castro/Cabrera at 3B and Kieboom at 2B (not that Castro at 3B would be a world-beater either). Maybe they think he can get good there with a lot of reps in the spring, but I'm a bit worried about that.

The Cubs seem obsessed with trading Kris Bryant, and with the grievance issue settled, Washington has again popped up as a potential landing spot.

Theo wants Robles/Kieboom and a prospect. Washington is resisting any overtures for Robles, and I read something that said they think Robles might become a better all-around player than Soto. He will never hit like Soto, but his off-the-charts elite defense more than balances out. 

I had always thought of Robles as a very good player, but Soto as a generational talent. I was surprised to see Washington management value Robles so highly. 

Dave Martinez saying Carter Kieboom is the plan at 3B.  Link

I'm a bit surprised by that, as he had four errors in 10 games at 3B in AAA last year.  And they already seemed to destroy his confidence a bit at SS last year already.  I thought more likely was Castro/Cabrera at 3B and Kieboom at 2B (not that Castro at 3B would be a world-beater either). Maybe they think he can get good there with a lot of reps in the spring, but I'm a bit worried about that.
Seems to be starting off in the spring playing defense like he did last year. Not good.

I watched it, too and did the same thing. 

Also, I read an article that quoted Kurt Suzuki about the elaborate sign sequence they used to confuse Houston. I hadn't paid attention before, but now focusing on him he looks like one of those sign language persons that are standing next to the governor when they are giving a press conference about the coronavirus. 

Zimm is having a baby this summer, right?  He doesn't surprise me at all.   Is Ross the same?   Seeing 3-4 others are still deciding.   Going to be a weird summer
Zimm just had the baby a few weeks ago.  And his mom has MS.  I can't blame him for sitting out.

I haven't seen why on Ross yet. I'm sure there will be more.

This team sucks.  This team is banged up.  Don't demote Kieboom.  Kieboom, Garcia, Soto, Robles, and Turner should be playing every day not all these damn old dudes.  If Kieboom isn't the answer by next March then move Castro to 3B because Garcia is going to be the 2B. 

This team sucks.  This team is banged up.  Don't demote Kieboom.  Kieboom, Garcia, Soto, Robles, and Turner should be playing every day not all these damn old dudes.  If Kieboom isn't the answer by next March then move Castro to 3B because Garcia is going to be the 2B. 
When the rumors were flying that the Cubs were going to trade Kris Bryant to Washington, the Cubs wanted Robles, Doolittle and Kieboom, with Theo insisting on Kieboom. He really had a liking for that guy.

I hope he can turn it around. He seems to have raw ability that he has not yet been able to translate into production. 

Nats doing nothing is pretty inexcusable.  Got to trade someone like Asdrubal at least get whatever crumbs from prospects that they could.

Nats doing nothing is pretty inexcusable.  Got to trade someone like Asdrubal at least get whatever crumbs from prospects that they could.
I've basically stopped checking this thread but yeah any vet should have gone this year.  The only good thing about this summer will be if they do indeed knock Harper and Phily out of the playoffs.

Martinez winning the WS probably bought himself a lifetime of good will but this team has largely sucked under his leadership except for a 3 month run last summer.

Kieboom needs to go play winter ball so everyone can figure out if this dude has a future or not. 

I've basically stopped checking this thread but yeah any vet should have gone this year.  The only good thing about this summer will be if they do indeed knock Harper and Phily out of the playoffs.

Martinez winning the WS probably bought himself a lifetime of good will but this team has largely sucked under his leadership except for a 3 month run last summer.

Kieboom needs to go play winter ball so everyone can figure out if this dude has a future or not. 
Agree on Martinez. I remember calling on him to be fired a few times last year in this thread. It looks like stuck with a few more years given his extension (and probably earned from the WS). But I don’t think letting him move on would have been in the same degree of mistake as the Caps letting Trotz move on.

Still time for Kieboom and Robles to get it, but I’m fearing they are more AAAA types.

How many years of jacking up a bullpen and pitching staff does Davey get based off the World Series win?  Chances both Robles and Kieboom would be a lot better under different leadership?

How many years of jacking up a bullpen and pitching staff does Davey get based off the World Series win?  Chances both Robles and Kieboom would be a lot better under different leadership?
He's a below average manager, but I'm also not sure I have faith in Nats' management to find (or be willing to pay) a better replacement, given how many other times they've screwed it up.

I'd expect them to bring back for 2022 and a lame duck contract year.

Rizzo needs to sell but I don’t think he will.  Scherzer can definitely help restock the prospect list.  Too bad Schwarber is hurt he could’ve fetched something decent.  

Rizzo needs to sell but I don’t think he will.  Scherzer can definitely help restock the prospect list.  Too bad Schwarber is hurt he could’ve fetched something decent.  
After this weekend, I’m hoping for some selling. It would be good to get something for Scherzer — Padres could use him and have some prospects still to trade.

Probably should have traded before he had to miss another start though.

Apparently listening to Trea Turner offers too.  That would be more surprising (I think still chance to re-group for 2022 and not sure I'd give up on that already), but I guess if they got something ridiculous....

Apparently listening to Trea Turner offers too.  That would be more surprising (I think still chance to re-group for 2022 and not sure I'd give up on that already), but I guess if they got something ridiculous....
Well, Strasburg's surgery calls 2022 into question too. 

Trea Turner getting pulled in the first inning.... interesting.

ETA: Sounds like injury after all.

ETA2: Alright, I guess it was neither trade nor injury -- COVID. If it changes in another five minutes, I give up with the edits.

Had to be done.  Glad they got the top 2 Dodger prospects but feels like they should have gotten more.  How do they get out of the Strasburg contract?   

If someone can fix Robles and Kieboom and not screw up Garcia or Ruiz, that's a cheap group with Soto.  

Gray and Cavalli should be in the rotation by next year.

At least it’s just spring training, but giving up 29 runs is, uh, not good. 10 off Cavalli — it doesn’t look like he will be ready for a call anytime soon.

At least it’s just spring training, but giving up 29 runs is, uh, not good. 10 off Cavalli — it doesn’t look like he will be ready for a call anytime soon.
Feels like the rebuild isn’t done.  Maybe Corbin can pitch his ### off this year and get traded.  Strasburg too?  

I don’t understand playing all these old infielders over Luis Garcia though.  Gotta let Garcia and Robles play and kieboom when healthy and figure out what they are. 

Feels like the rebuild isn’t done.  Maybe Corbin can pitch his ### off this year and get traded.  Strasburg too?  

I don’t understand playing all these old infielders over Luis Garcia though.  Gotta let Garcia and Robles play and kieboom when healthy and figure out what they are. 
Hope that is right on Corbin and Strasburg. It will be hard to compete if throwing that much money away on both of them.

Agree on Robles and Kieboom — time on the bench or the minors won’t do them any good. Need to see if they are capable starters or time to move on.

I don’t mind Garcia going down — he looked like he could still use some more seasoning.

Dear Nationals fans, please tell your people in charge to trade Cesar Hernandez and bring up Luis Garcia.  He is destroying AAA as he did last year.  Thank you for your attention.
His bat has been great, but it comes down to defense. I don’t think he’s ready there yet..

His bat has been great, but it comes down to defense. I don’t think he’s ready there yet..
I see where they are mostly playing him at shortstop in AAA, which I find odd since they were talking about having to move him from 2b to 3b long-term just last year as his 2b defense was lackluster.  He's 6' 2" 220, before his 22nd birthday, so his profile is looking less like a MI over time.

Seems pretty clear to me that the Nats are trying to flip vets for low level prospects at the deadline this year bc their farm system is a total disaster. Hernandez and Bell seem like the two best possibilities, along with Cruz I guess. My guess is that potential contenders will want to wait to get more data on those guys in terms of health and performance (and to make sure their own seasons don't fall apart) before they're willing to make the trades, so unfortunately the Nats have to keep showcasing these guys that aren't part of the future of the org and nobody really cares to watch. I genuinely could not care less about how Maikel Franco plays this year.

I think they can go ahead and give up on Escobar to make way for Garcia, though. I don't really care if he's making defensive mistakes in DC or Rochester, and given the lack of intensity surrounding Nats games these days I suspect Garcia wouldn't care either.

From what I’ve read, May 25th is the day when they get an extra year of Garcia. Defense made sense to me a few weeks ago (and he did start out in AAA struggling with errors), but I think that is the only thing holding him down now.

Don Quixote said:
From what I’ve read, May 25th is the day when they get an extra year of Garcia. Defense made sense to me a few weeks ago (and he did start out in AAA struggling with errors), but I think that is the only thing holding him down now.

Indeed. This was explained to me on Twitter last night. 

Like I said, I know it's all being done for a reason and I generally agree with those reasons, but in the meantime the product is both bad and largely irrelevant to the club's long term future, which is a rough combo. Last night I would have rather watched the Rochester Red Wings than the Nats.

Luis Garcia leaving the game with a hand injury on May 24th (one day before the May 25th date that folks were eying) seems pretty on point for the Nats in 2022.

Users who are viewing this thread