What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

OFFICIAL WIS XVIII THREAD: An Ode to Claude Hendrix (3 Viewers)

There's a beerhole in July. I'll see if we can get Larry out. Some internet upper elite will be there.
:excited:

There's a beerhole in July. I'll see if we can get Larry out. Some internet upper elite will be there.
In Milwaukee?
Yes.
Hmm. TU heading out? Would be fun, even if I'm hardly elite.
I'm hardly average, so it's all good.

In Milwaukee?
Yes.
No, my only TU contact these days is the occasional words with friends game.
Yeah, hardly see the guy. Hung out a couple weeks ago, used to be nearly weekly.

In Milwaukee?
Yes.
Yeah, hardly see the guy. Hung out a couple weeks ago, used to be nearly weekly.
Hows he doing?

In Milwaukee?
Yes.
Hows he doing?
Overly stressed but doing better. Hopefully summer brings up the spirits a little.

FWIW, it should not go unnoticed who the game winning hit was notched against to clinch the series...

Gary Freakin' Peters.

Notorious T.R.E. said:
Koya said:
Officially entering withdrawal.
Don't you play any fantasy baseball? There's baseball going on in real life! It's everywhere!!!
Don't play fantasy baseball. Tried it once in a $500 buy in figuring I'd HAVE to pay attention at that price. It was roto, I ended up coming in third and was competitive all year. Even so, it was like watching paint dry.

I HATE losing. I love winning, but the joy of winning is brief. I'm still hurting from losing to Sparty in WIS II for goodness sake (lost in 6 games I believe). So when you have week to week battles, it's something to get up for and fight - pride, rivalries, all that. Maybe I could get more into a H2H league, but it's different than most games on at one time.

Now, real baseball I'll watch and will get into, but fantasy football and WIS are probably the two "competitive" things I do that are most fun, for different reasons. Heck, sad as it is, Id have accepted a deal where Syracuse choked but I won this meaningless league because it's me doing something rather than just rooting for a team, and trust me, I was crushed when the Orange choked. :shrug:

Bonds with a 1.136 OPS and gets third in MVP voting. Weak. He had a .547 OBP for god ####### dammit

Ruth 1.028 gets the award. Gehrig .986 takes second.

Notorious T.R.E. said:
Koya said:
Don't you play any fantasy baseball? There's baseball going on in real life! It's everywhere!!!
Don't play fantasy baseball. Tried it once in a $500 buy in figuring I'd HAVE to pay attention at that price. It was roto, I ended up coming in third and was competitive all year. Even so, it was like watching paint dry.

I HATE losing. I love winning, but the joy of winning is brief. I'm still hurting from losing to Sparty in WIS II for goodness sake (lost in 6 games I believe). So when you have week to week battles, it's something to get up for and fight - pride, rivalries, all that. Maybe I could get more into a H2H league, but it's different than most games on at one time.

Now, real baseball I'll watch and will get into, but fantasy football and WIS are probably the two "competitive" things I do that are most fun, for different reasons. Heck, sad as it is, Id have accepted a deal where Syracuse choked but I won this meaningless league because it's me doing something rather than just rooting for a team, and trust me, I was crushed when the Orange choked. :shrug:
Your face is like watching paint dry.

Seriously how can you get up for WIS more than fantasy baseball? Boo, I say.

Notorious T.R.E. said:
Koya said:

Your face is like watching paint dry.Seriously how can you get up for WIS more than fantasy baseball? Boo, I say.
Because three times a day I have like an adrenaline rush and 5 minutes of the joy of winning, or 5 min of acute anger and the hours of latent pissed offness because I lost. Plus, great shtick and a pretty bright (read: :nerd: ) crew here so it's a good challenge. Finally, I love the stats and numbers.

I'm a nerd, what can I say.

Again, maybe I'd enjoy H2H baseball more - after my learning curve this year maybe I'll try one next year.

Bonds with a 1.136 OPS and gets third in MVP voting. Weak. He had a .547 OBP for god ####### dammit

The MVP award, from what I've seen both in past leagues and in this one, correlates strongly with counting stats, particularly Runs + RBI and XBHs.. Here are the AL's Top 5 in MVP voting:

Runs + RBI, XBH

-----------------------

Ruth - 311, 84

Gehrig - 271, 80

Bonds - 257, 48

Berkman - 253, 71

Duffy - 254, 61

EDIT: Now that I'm lookiong at the data a little more closely ... it might be Total Bases and not XBH.

Last edited by a moderator:
Late round value for me:

Andrew Bailey, reliver - last round ( lots of 2000s talent left )

Dave Bancroft - 23rd round I think? Got him as a defensive replacement but was pretty solid for his position offensively. Worked great in tandem with Brooks as late inning replacement and a starter every fourth or fifth game. Huge defense as he was in gold glove contention even with limited innings.

For all the brewhaha at the time, Dolph Camilli sucked. Larry Walker was huge.

Interesting stat: of my starters, only Tony Phillips was below .400 SLG but NO one was above .500.

Also had only two players above .300 AVG and none above .400

The MVP award, from what I've seen both in past leagues and in this one, correlates strongly with counting stats, particularly Runs + RBI and XBHs.. Here are the AL's Top 5 in MVP voting:

Runs + RBI, XBH

-----------------------

Ruth - 311, 84

Gehrig - 271, 80

Bonds - 257, 48

Berkman - 253, 71

Duffy - 254, 61

EDIT: Now that I'm lookiong at the data a little more closely ... it might be Total Bases and not XBH.
Total bases would make a lot of sense. Before the trade deadline deal when I sent Ashburn, he'd been in the mix around #4-5 in MVP. Made no sense unless they also include defense. Had a OBP a little under .400, an ok number of doubles and high AVG but you'd hardly think MVP. Im sure he had a ton of total bases, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Depending on size of pool, could do World War WIS:

Spanish American 1898-1901

World War I 1914-1918 (or extend to 20)

World War II 1939-1945 (or do we do 41-1945)

Korean War 1950-1953
Like that.
BTW, this what we are lookin' at for next go 'round?
I believe. Are we doing WW1/Spanish vs WWII/Korean where two pools draft exclusively in their wars or is everything up for grabs?

Depending on size of pool, could do World War WIS:

Spanish American 1898-1901

World War I 1914-1918 (or extend to 20)

World War II 1939-1945 (or do we do 41-1945)

Korean War 1950-1953
Like that.
BTW, this what we are lookin' at for next go 'round?
I believe. Are we doing WW1/Spanish vs WWII/Korean where two pools draft exclusively in their wars or is everything up for grabs?
My understanding was two separate drafts... something new. Obviously need to work out some logistics.

Users who are viewing this thread