What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Outdoor Kitchen Guys — Whatcha got? (1 Viewer)

Otis

Footballguy
Finishing up an outdoor covered patio and patio addition in the coming months with an “outdoor kitchen.”  We’ll have an L-shaped island with a gas grill, and I’m thinking a sink and mini-fridge.  What else should I be thinking of here?

I’m thinking electrical and outlets there would be nice, and also some downlighting in the sides of the island, for some night mood lighting out there.  What else do you BBQnerds recommend?

I’m also thinking one of those polished concrete countertops, should be durable and won’t soak up the hot summer sun like a dark granite top would.

TIA

Won’t answer yours, but open invite to all good peoples here for drinks  and cigars in the Oyard.  

Just think of the reasons you have to run inside when you entertain outside. Typically for me it’s stupid #### Like napkins, salt/pepper, etc. 

for me it’s a decent sized cabinet / storage that it easy to use. Keep it well organized and aim for only going inside to take a whizz 

Just think of the reasons you have to run inside when you entertain outside. Typically for me it’s stupid #### Like napkins, salt/pepper, etc. 

for me it’s a decent sized cabinet / storage that it easy to use. Keep it well organized and aim for only going inside to take a whizz 
Great point. Hadn’t even thought of this. 

This is so weird to me. How often are people making their own brick oven pizzas??  Once a month?  Once every 6 months??
Friend has one and the pizza is amazing.  When his kids were younger probably used it 6-8 times a year.  One down side is he said is takes 3 hours to get enough hot coals that would heat to roughly 500.  Pizza was done in 5 minutes.    

What is this inside to take a whizz stuff?  You're in the great outdoors, whizz away!

I wish I had a sink. I’ve got a huge patio off the screened porch with a big fireplace and an L shaped granite island with a built in grill. 

If you have natural gas, hook the grill to it. I haven’t had to do propane fill in over 10 years. Put a mini-fridge and cabinet (3 drawers) in the island. I have no issues with the granite but it’s a lighter shade, but beautiful runs in it since we picked it out. Goes with the stone we picked (not stacked) for the island and fireplace/seating to the sides of fireplace. If you do stone find a good guy to do it. The guy who did ours was a neighbor and friend and he, his friend and his son spent weeks on the stone work and its way nicer than the stacked stone or faux stone I’ve seen. He also poured concrete footers for the fireplace/seating, island and edge of the patio. We haven’t had a single inch of movement in 12 years.

I may figure out how to add a sink since it’s right next to our crawl space. I also may add some lights. I’ve got outlets in the island and screened porch and the outdoor lamps on the fireplace seating but it would be nice to have more lighting and a sink. The sink’s not a killer but it would be nice.

It would also be nice to use it some more. We used to have some big parties with friends and their kids but man as the kids got older there is so much less free time. Still use the grill a decent amount but mainly just that and the fireplace at night. If you want any pictures let me know.

What kind of scrilla are we talking about for a full kitchen with sink, propane line, good sized counter, etc for the patio?  $15k?

What kind of scrilla are we talking about for a full kitchen with sink, propane line, good sized counter, etc for the patio?  $15k?
Probably.  The grill I looked at alone today was around $5k (of course it was).  The other appliances are also pricey; with the materials and other work, I figure I'll be at $15-20k when it's all said and done. 

I wish I had a sink. I’ve got a huge patio off the screened porch with a big fireplace and an L shaped granite island with a built in grill. 

If you have natural gas, hook the grill to it. I haven’t had to do propane fill in over 10 years. Put a mini-fridge and cabinet (3 drawers) in the island. I have no issues with the granite but it’s a lighter shade, but beautiful runs in it since we picked it out. Goes with the stone we picked (not stacked) for the island and fireplace/seating to the sides of fireplace. If you do stone find a good guy to do it. The guy who did ours was a neighbor and friend and he, his friend and his son spent weeks on the stone work and its way nicer than the stacked stone or faux stone I’ve seen. He also poured concrete footers for the fireplace/seating, island and edge of the patio. We haven’t had a single inch of movement in 12 years.

I may figure out how to add a sink since it’s right next to our crawl space. I also may add some lights. I’ve got outlets in the island and screened porch and the outdoor lamps on the fireplace seating but it would be nice to have more lighting and a sink. The sink’s not a killer but it would be nice.

It would also be nice to use it some more. We used to have some big parties with friends and their kids but man as the kids got older there is so much less free time. Still use the grill a decent amount but mainly just that and the fireplace at night. If you want any pictures let me know.
Pics would be awesome if you don't mind posting.

So far I've got:

Twin Eagles 42" gas grill

Twin Eagles two drawer fridge

Twin Eagles Drawers and doors for storage

Twin Eagles Slide out trash cans

Considering also their ice maker, though it's starting to get silly (and hard to justify another $3k for that...)

About a 10 foot island, with sink built in (done in a really nice polished concrete, with the sink built into the counter, no separate sink unit needed).

I'll have a couple outlets installed.  I'd like to do some downlighting around the island as well.

That's really it.  Find 4 or 5 nice quality stools that can survive the elements.  And we're ready to rock.

Already have speakers built into the covered patio adjacent to the open/uncovered patio where the kitchen will go.  Not really into the pizza oven thing.  Decided not to do the fireplace thing.  I think that's everything.

Anything called an "outdoor kitchen" sounds like a good excuse to burn money, nttawwt.

For perfect outdoor cooking, all you ever "need" is some Weber Kettles, cover/protecting from the weather, refrigeration close by for beer (or coolers), a place to sit, and maybe a bluetooth speaker. Oh, and a good place to whizz. If you're going inside to whizz, then I'm not sure what the point of moving everything else outside even was.

Anything called an "outdoor kitchen" sounds like a good excuse to burn money, nttawwt.

For perfect outdoor cooking, all you ever "need" is some Weber Kettles, cover/protecting from the weather, refrigeration close by for beer (or coolers), a place to sit, and maybe a bluetooth speaker. Oh, and a good place to whizz. If you're going inside to whizz, then I'm not sure what the point of moving everything else outside even was.
my gawd man, this isn't coon huntin' camp!!!

I basically make burgers and dogs and steak on a grill. That’s it. Lately I’ll do some seared tuna steaks. But there ain’t much fancy happening when Otis cooks. I’m much better at eating then cooking.  

Here is the plan:

https://imgur.com/gallery/vugJLAy

Appliances are a small fortune but super high quality and figure I’ll just do this once.  Nice 42” gas grill built in; two drawer fridge (beers on top; kids drinks and waters on bottom); 18” sink; a slide out dual trash can thing; and plenty of storage.  Island will be done in a stone veneer, doing a custom polished concrete countertop. Will run gas, water and electric to the island.  Will have a couple outlets and want to do some downlighting under the counter to make some nice ambiance out there at night.  The island is about 12’ Long, will make it a little tight to fit where we have it situated on the uncovered patio, but we taped it out yesterday and it should be OK I think.  Should be plenty of room for 5 stools, and we have a covered patio just steps away from this that has more seating, so we should be all set.

Technically would require a permit and variance to do this, but it’s a huge headache and we decided not to bother.  Just going for it.  We’ll be in this house for at least 15-20 years, and we can deal with any headaches then if Trump hasn’t blowed us all up first.

Anything I’m missing or forgetting here?

TIA

I basically make burgers and dogs and steak on a grill. That’s it. Lately I’ll do some seared tuna steaks. But there ain’t much fancy happening when Otis cooks. I’m much better at eating then cooking.  
Why would you spend this much money on an outdoor kitchen when you don't even like to cook? 

I think they are good if you have a large outdoor space, like really large.  I have a pretty big screened in porch, but I feel like an outdoor kitchen would be in the way no matter where I built it.  I have a Weber spirit & a BGE on a rolling wooden cart.  I am constantly moving them around.  Primarily in and out of the covered area depending on how much smoke is coming off.  When I'm not using one I keep it way out of the way, on the other side of the house.

A few of the negatives I see for my particular situation,

-cover from the elements.  

-additional shaded areas would = damp pavers = more pressure washing

=Grilling is kind of messy.  Unless I am sober & meticulously cleaning after every grill, I could see an outdoor kitchen attracting roaches.  Ashes and stuff from a charcoal grill also make a mess sometimes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pics would be awesome if you don't mind posting.

So far I've got:

Twin Eagles 42" gas grill

Twin Eagles two drawer fridge

Twin Eagles Drawers and doors for storage

Twin Eagles Slide out trash cans

Considering also their ice maker, though it's starting to get silly (and hard to justify another $3k for that...)

About a 10 foot island, with sink built in (done in a really nice polished concrete, with the sink built into the counter, no separate sink unit needed).

I'll have a couple outlets installed.  I'd like to do some downlighting around the island as well.

That's really it.  Find 4 or 5 nice quality stools that can survive the elements.  And we're ready to rock.

Already have speakers built into the covered patio adjacent to the open/uncovered patio where the kitchen will go.  Not really into the pizza oven thing.  Decided not to do the fireplace thing.  I think that's everything.
https://imgur.com/a/zuWcuLp

Here’s mine. I’m standing in the doorway of my screened porch that has a door into the breakfast nook or whatever you call the eating area of the kitchen. The patio keeps going past the porch with a small table and hot tub, but the key was the island. I don’t have the sink and less cabinets (trash can next to rolling cooler and storage bin), but we’ve got three stools. Could probably do 4 but the 3 gives it nice space and we’ve got seating for 20+ including the porch and steps to hot tub.

Grill is hooked to natural gas and is a beast. 6 burners, I think 38 or 40 inches and I love the built in look. I’m also underselling the granite countertop, looks amazing in person.

Last note, we did pavers which I highly recommend and if you do them mix up a couple colors. The patio is still wet so I’m sure my pictures aren’t perfect but we mixed the tan and red and it makes it look more natural and fits in well with the stone. Same stone on the fireplace is on the grill/bar area.

https://imgur.com/a/zuWcuLp

Here’s mine. I’m standing in the doorway of my screened porch that has a door into the breakfast nook or whatever you call the eating area of the kitchen. The patio keeps going past the porch with a small table and hot tub, but the key was the island. I don’t have the sink and less cabinets (trash can next to rolling cooler and storage bin), but we’ve got three stools. Could probably do 4 but the 3 gives it nice space and we’ve got seating for 20+ including the porch and steps to hot tub.

Grill is hooked to natural gas and is a beast. 6 burners, I think 38 or 40 inches and I love the built in look. I’m also underselling the granite countertop, looks amazing in person.

Last note, we did pavers which I highly recommend and if you do them mix up a couple colors. The patio is still wet so I’m sure my pictures aren’t perfect but we mixed the tan and red and it makes it look more natural and fits in well with the stone. Same stone on the fireplace is on the grill/bar area.
That is awesome. Love the fireplace especially. Very very cool. Thanks for posting. 

Bought all my appliances today. Gulp... $12k, which is like double what I planned to spend initially ... but we got really good stuff with lifetime warranties that hopefully will last till I’m dead.  Guys are coming in this weekend to start looking at running the gas line, water line, and electric. They’re gonna try and knock it out in the coming weeks before building season picks up in NY area. The long item will be the countertop, which we are going to custom fabricate in polished concrete, with the sink built in and everything. Should be awesome but will take 4-6 weeks. In any event it should be done in april, so we can enjoy it the full season. 

That is awesome. Love the fireplace especially. Very very cool. Thanks for posting. 

Bought all my appliances today. Gulp... $12k, which is like double what I planned to spend initially ... but we got really good stuff with lifetime warranties that hopefully will last till I’m dead.  Guys are coming in this weekend to start looking at running the gas line, water line, and electric. They’re gonna try and knock it out in the coming weeks before building season picks up in NY area. The long item will be the countertop, which we are going to custom fabricate in polished concrete, with the sink built in and everything. Should be awesome but will take 4-6 weeks. In any event it should be done in april, so we can enjoy it the full season. 
Nice. I love mine. We had it done almost 12 years ago. Just not having propane is nice. $12k for appliances, damn. Glad I live in NC. I think I paid around $20k total for the patio, hot tub (built in deck, matching existing porch), fireplace and bar/grill. Patio is around 700sq ft including walkway to the side load garage. My guy gave me a deal as we were friends and he just started in NC so he wanted to use us as his example. The fridge still runs and it’s just a regular old mini fridge. $100 was fine with me. The one at the grill place was like $1k and I figured I have 9 more to buy if the crap out and it’s still running.

I just realized I’m definitely going to need to power wash the patio and looking forward to using my Costco Visa rebate for some new patio furniture. We bought a nice new L shaped couch in the porch and the patio stuff looks like crap compared to it now. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice. I love mine. We had it done almost 12 years ago. Just not having propane is nice. $12k for appliances, damn. Glad I live in NC. I think I paid around $20k total for the patio, hot tub (built in deck, matching existing porch), fireplace and bar/grill. Patio is around 700sq ft including walkway to the side load garage. My guy gave me a deal as we were friends and he just started in NC so he wanted to use us as his example. The fridge still runs and it’s just a regular old mini fridge. $100 was fine with me. The one at the grill place was like $1k and I figured I have 9 more to buy if the crap out and it’s still running.

I just realized I’m definitely going to need to power wash the patio and looking forward to using my Costco Visa rebate for some new patio furniture. We bought a nice new L shaped couch in the porch and the patio stuff looks like crap compared to it now. 
Nice, and yeah you're right, I wonder if we're going to regret the spend on the appliances if in a few years they're clunking out.  The grill along was $5k (of course it was).  42" Twin Eagles, the thing is a monster, looks great, lifetime warranty, and the features are pretty awesome.  We just basically bought the first set we saw at the masonry/outdoor kitchen place.  We compared that one to other examples they had there that were cheaper, and they just felt flimsy in comparison.  The matching fridge is a really nice high quality two drawer model, just felt really subtsantial and like it'll last.  Hell it better.  But I loved the idea of a bottom drawer for kids drinks and waters, and a top drawer for the beers.  Will come in super handy.

The rest shouldn't be that expensive actually.  All in I bet we'll be around where you are, though the patio is already there, so this would be just for the kitchen.  I'm most excited about the island.  The countertop will be 12 feet long, so plenty of space for 4 stools, maybe more.  That's always where people congregate when you have these islands, I've seen it time and again.  Should just be the ultimate entertaining spot.  As it stands we have a brand new covered patio adjacent to this area, with heaters, fans, and speakers all built in, and the thing has been AWESOME.  Everyone who comes over love it, just makes for awesome outdoor chilling, drinking, smoking, etc.  Good times.

Nice, and yeah you're right, I wonder if we're going to regret the spend on the appliances if in a few years they're clunking out.  The grill along was $5k (of course it was).  42" Twin Eagles, the thing is a monster, looks great, lifetime warranty, and the features are pretty awesome.  We just basically bought the first set we saw at the masonry/outdoor kitchen place.  We compared that one to other examples they had there that were cheaper, and they just felt flimsy in comparison.  The matching fridge is a really nice high quality two drawer model, just felt really subtsantial and like it'll last.  Hell it better.  But I loved the idea of a bottom drawer for kids drinks and waters, and a top drawer for the beers.  Will come in super handy.

The rest shouldn't be that expensive actually.  All in I bet we'll be around where you are, though the patio is already there, so this would be just for the kitchen.  I'm most excited about the island.  The countertop will be 12 feet long, so plenty of space for 4 stools, maybe more.  That's always where people congregate when you have these islands, I've seen it time and again.  Should just be the ultimate entertaining spot.  As it stands we have a brand new covered patio adjacent to this area, with heaters, fans, and speakers all built in, and the thing has been AWESOME.  Everyone who comes over love it, just makes for awesome outdoor chilling, drinking, smoking, etc.  Good times.
Nice. It’ll be fun. The drawers are great for the grilling stuff. We use the fireplace and the grill a decent amount but definitely less now. When my 3 boys were young, they sat at the bar and it was a blast. I made so many wings it was ridiculous, had 4 or 5 big parties making wings the first year. Youngest is almost 12 now, so the school sports are all the time and the oldest is a senior so he’s always busy. Summer is nice.

We didn’t do the fully glass enclosed porch, just had the builder do a screened porch instead of the default deck. We use that all the time because it’s “cold” maybe 6-8 total weeks. I made them put in a speaker, outlets and cable. Love sitting out there at night when it’s nice out. We have a lot of woods (20 acres of common area on the porch/hot tub side. The porch (extra $4k for the roof/walls/screens) and outdoor stuff is easily the best addition we made to the house. You’ll use it all the time and outside of my cheapo fridge (my grill was less but still a couple grand), nothing I would change for your choices. I’d definitely do a sink and maybe more lighting, but that’s it. The long bar and built in grill is money and I love mine. 

I have opinions.

Pizza oven. You don't have to get some enormous thing that cooks for guisseppie'a entire family and takes a day to heat up. You can get gas models, and pizzas cook so fast there's no real taste difference. Get something bigger than this roccbox, but along the same lines https://www.gozney.com/us/products/home-ovens/roccbox/

Plus, nobody has it. Guarantee none of your neighbors are inviting friends over for make your own authentic neapolitan pizza night. 

Smoker is also a no brainer. Make your own BBQ, it's easy and delicious. Get a pellet smoker so you don't have to learn how to use the equipment. They just work. 

Gas grill. Because it's easy. Get natural gas and plumb that #### in so you don't have to be bothered schlepping propane tanks like some commoner. Get a griddle that fits on it and you've got a flat top. No reason to double up here. 

Keg fridge with a tap handle. Actually, two. One for beer, one for cider. I mean, your wife has friends too. Sure, you could put beer in a garage fridge like Ken from Omaha, I guess. But you're not that guy. Always have an extra in the garage and replace that one when a handle blows. 

Oh, and get a table and some chairs and ####. 

I opted for a larger basin for the sink so I could place big pots in it to soak, etc.

My builder didn’t put a Hood up and now I need to install a hood.  The smoke is way to much sometimes.

One thing i May do in the future is to run a T off the propane line and put about a 10’ hose attached to the T.  If I want to boil crawfish or use a burner to cook jambalaya, I can turn the valve and redirect the propane from the pit to the burner.

How are the mosquitoes in the the summer?
I have no idea why, but we rarely get any mosquitoes in our back yard. Maybe we have a bazillion bats but we do have a bazillion tree frogs. There’s a swampy area in the common area behind us and while I kind of thought it might be conducive to mosquitoes you can hear the frogs ####### in the spring so they must eat a ton. 

Users who are viewing this thread