What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

>>>> Owning McFadden <<<< (4 Viewers)

Looking to maybe grab DMac at 1.10 in a 12 team non-PPR league. I'll be at the Cards/Raiders game tomorrow night. I'll post my thoughts on seeing him live tomorrow night.

Looking to maybe grab DMac at 1.10 in a 12 team non-PPR league. I'll be at the Cards/Raiders game tomorrow night. I'll post my thoughts on seeing him live tomorrow night.
I'm all in and will be glad to take him as my RB1 over Matt Forte or Chris Johnson... Why not? The upside is enormous.

McKenzie speaks about Benson and getting Goodson - he loves the trade he madeRaiders general manager Reggie McKenzie does not deny that he was interested in running back Cedric Benson. McKenzie even made the free-agent running back an offer during the offseason, back before he fully realized that Mike Goodson was more than capable of being Darren McFadden's backup. "I am shaking all the trees," McKenzie said Wednesday after practice. "I'm always communicating and talking to guys and trying to see where they're at. And the agents know where I am at, cap-wise. 'This is what I've got. If you want to join us for training camp and try and win a job, you can.' " Benson balked, and he finally signed with the Packers on Sunday."By then, I liked what I had seen (of Goodson) so far," McKenzie said. "So whenever (Benson) made his decision to go there, they wanted to see if we wanted to ... 'No, you go ahead. You can go now. We're good.' " Benson, perhaps upset that other teams didn't bid him up from the veteran's minimum of $825,000, took an unnecessary shot Monday at Oakland and Detroit, who also tried to sign him. "They talk about a Super Bowl around here (in Green Bay), not about winning their first playoff game," Benson said.McKenzie wondered why Benson didn't just cut off that sentence after "Green Bay," but he's happy with how things unfolded. Specifically, that Goodson, 25, is even better than McKenzie thought he was when the GM traded backup tackle Bruce Campbell to Carolina for him in March. "Not only his feel for the game, but his mental capacity to pick up everything," McKenzie said. "That was encouraging. He picked up the blitz-pickup stuff, when to release out, the timing ... that stuff, he is a natural. And he's tougher than people give him credit for."The talent is hard to hide, his slashing skills, his quickness and ability to catch the ball. You saw all that (at Texas A&amp;M) and the few times he played at Carolina." Goodson was back at practice Wednesday for the first time since injuring his neck in a scary collision at practice eight days ago. He is ready to carry the ball Friday at Arizona in Oakland's second preseason game. "It felt good to get back out there, running and moving around," Goodson said. "Tried to get my heart rate up a little bit. Tried to go and go and go and see how it makes me feel. I felt pretty good."Goodson will get plenty of carries Friday, as McFadden will see limited duty again. He gained 38 yards on the Raiders' first three plays in the 3-0 loss to the Cowboys on Monday and then grabbed some pine. McKenzie knows some fans want the Raiders to save McFadden for the regular season and avoid the risk of injury. The GM also knows what the coaches want. "The coaches want to see him do a couple of things, take a couple of hits," McKenzie said. "You can't baby him with kid gloves. He is a football player and he wouldn't have it any other way."

Raiders RB Mike Goodson (neck) is dealing with "weakness in his shoulder."
he didn't look too good last night...he was someone i was targetting but now i am a bit hesitant.with that said he may be the only choice WHEN mcfadden gets hurt.

I'm not convinced getting a handcuff is necessary. I prefere to instead grab a Hillis or Donald Brown "later" as a third RB and get higher upside plays like Kevin Smith, Ryan Williams, JaQuizz etc.

Goodson should be going after all the guys you mentioned for sure. Goodson should be an RB5 or RB6, someone you take super late just in case. Any earlier, and it's not worth it until he proves he's the primary backup. At some point, you get to the Isaiah Pead, Bilal Powell, Rashard Mendenhall, Daniel Thomas part of the draft. That's when you bump Goodson ahead of them.

I'm not convinced getting a handcuff is necessary. I prefere to instead grab a Hillis or Donald Brown "later" as a third RB and get higher upside plays like Kevin Smith, Ryan Williams, JaQuizz etc.
Goodson or any other handcuff for DMC would go WAY after any of those mentioned above.My main league has deep rosters and I usually carry 6 RBs which makes keeping a handcuff to your RB1 that much easier. In shallower leagues where I didnt have the roster space, I wouldnt worry about it as nobody on Oakland's roster has the potential to come in and produce like M. Bush did.Does the apparent lack of a quality handcuff option make you reconsider targeting McFadden? For me, I'm not sure yet.

Was thoroughly unimpressed by Goodson last night. It was only one game but he was a fumbling machine and looked small and weak. He has good burst and is a slasher but he doesn't look like he can take the pounding of a featured NFL runner. DMC runs MUCH harder.

Taiwan is faster but has similar frame and durability question marks.

Barring some new faces appearing, if DMC were to go down, I think this will turn into a full blown RBBC, with Goodson, Jones and Reece all splitting the pie to their and your detriment if you are forced to play any of them.

Last year DMC was a much safer pick due to the presence of Bush, who you could get fairly late and count on as at least a downgraded but competent replacement to DMC. This year, you're going to have to hedge in other ways beyond the Raiders roster, which of course makes it a more expensive and less correlated hedge.

The thing with handcuffs, you want handcuffs that will be productive as a starter. How good would Goodson be as the full-time guy? Before, I was optimistic on him, been negative reviews so far. Taiwan Jones, Goodson and Marcel Reese would probably split duties in case of a McFadden injury, and the biggest appeal with McFadden is that he may be the most talented runningback in the league not coming off a torn ACL. Goodson is solid, but I don't know how high his upside is.

Was thoroughly unimpressed by Goodson last night. It was only one game but he was a fumbling machine and looked small and weak. He has good burst and is a slasher but he doesn't look like he can take the pounding of a featured NFL runner. DMC runs MUCH harder.Taiwan is faster but has similar frame and durability question marks.Barring some new faces appearing, if DMC were to go down, I think this will turn into a full blown RBBC, with Goodson, Jones and Reece all splitting the pie to their and your detriment if you are forced to play any of them.Last year DMC was a much safer pick due to the presence of Bush, who you could get fairly late and count on as at least a downgraded but competent replacement to DMC. This year, you're going to have to hedge in other ways beyond the Raiders roster, which of course makes it a more expensive and less correlated hedge.
:goodposting:

The thing with handcuffs, you want handcuffs that will be productive as a starter. How good would Goodson be as the full-time guy? Before, I was optimistic on him, been negative reviews so far. Taiwan Jones, Goodson and Marcel Reese would probably split duties in case of a McFadden injury, and the biggest appeal with McFadden is that he may be the most talented runningback in the league not coming off a torn ACL. Goodson is solid, but I don't know how high his upside is.
This. I only handcuff a few players. JStew/DWill, Gore/Hunter. Those types. What good is a handcuff if he is not likely to start for you if the main guy goes down? I don't view Goodson as anywhere near as good as Bush was (another good handcuff to own too). With McFadden you almost have to have a good RB3 for your team (Hillis, Brown etc) to at least be flex plays and full in if he gets injured. Sure Goodson can be decent and be a flex if DMC is out, but he is a wasted roster spot if he does not play. Oakland will look at their situation if DMC goes down, realize they have 3 or 4 decent (not great) receiving options and just chuck it 40+ times a game if DMC is injured. Do you really see Goodson as anything more than an injury plagued flex play? I dont

Just drafted him at 1.8. Will I be sweating every week, sure but honestly, I think it's worth the risk. No guts, no glory. If it fails, so be it.

I backed myself up with 3 RB2s just in case and Goodson. Might try to land Reece after waivers open.

:blackdot:

Probably going to take McFadden with 1.01 in my keep one league. I'm keeping Rice and the possibility of having 2 top 4 RBs is going to be too much to pass up.

I think Reece has a lot of skills and I will definitely be looking to draft him in the last few rounds. He will be the back to own in OAK if DMC goes down IMO.

Sign me up for this train ride. I've taken DMC in a few leagues and so far the rosters are shallow to the point where I'm not going to target anyone as far as handcuff goes. I'll likely look at Goodson when my deeper leagues get rolling, but I think in the event of an injury I'll hope that I've one of the other gems I've acquired has emerged.

New member of the Mcfadden club here, and I can't say that I'm completely confident in him...but I liked him better than my other choice (Matt Forte) when I took him. I decided to go without a handcuff, because I watched Mike Goodson in Carolina for many years, and while the talent is there, he's taking his fumbling problems to Oakland...and I don't think he would hold down the job if Mcfadeen got hurt. Someone drafted Taiwan Jones in the 10th round for some reason, so he wasn't an option either.

When it got to round 13, I had a choice of getting a handcuff for Mcfadden (either Goodson or Reece), or handcuffing Demarco Murray with Felix Jones. I decided to go with Jones.

Reece and Goodson are still on the wire, and I will probably grab one if a definite answer comes out.

Took DMac 3rd overall, brass cojones-style in my 14 teamer..

RD (overall #) player

1 (3) McFadden (over McCoy)

2 (26) Bradshaw

3 (40)J Nelson

4 (45) R White

5 (68) E Manning

6 (73) D Bowe

7 (96) T Gerhart

8 (101) D Williams

9 (124) K Hunter

10 (129) Griffin III

11 (152) R Turbin

12 (157) S Smith

I was reamed for taking CJ #2 overall in his 2k season over MJD. This season my rankings went Foster, Rice, DMac, McCoy..

I'm not advocating doing it, especially in shallower leagues, but in 14-16 teamers, I like to go for highest upside.

Not cuffing him in drafts since his backup situation is as clear as mud at this point. I think McKenzie will add more RB talent once camp cuts start happening.

Last edited by a moderator:
McFadden fell to me in the 2nd Round of a Dynasty startup a month or so back.

The guy is talented and that is all there is to it. If he can go through an entire season without injury he can help your coast to a Championship. We are talking LT (Chargers) good. We've seen a guys like Fred Taylor beat the injury bug and stay healthy, I would not be surprised if McFadden can do the same.

Get an insurance policy, maybe draft Mendenhall / Best in the case that McFadden goes down halfway through the season. They are better than what the waiver wire will have that time and can be had for peanuts.

'One said:
Took DMac 3rd overall, brass cojones-style in my 14 teamer..

RD (overall #) player

1 (3) McFadden (over McCoy)

2 (26) Bradshaw

3 (40)J Nelson

4 (45) R White

5 (68) E Manning

6 (73) D Bowe

7 (96) T Gerhart

8 (101) D Williams

9 (124) K Hunter

10 (129) Griffin III

11 (152) R Turbin

12 (157) S Smith

I was reamed for taking CJ #2 overall in his 2k season over MJD. This season my rankings went Foster, Rice, DMac, McCoy..

I'm not advocating doing it, especially in shallower leagues, but in 14-16 teamers, I like to go for highest upside.

Not cuffing him in drafts since his backup situation is as clear as mud at this point. I think McKenzie will add more RB talent once camp cuts start happening.

:football:
I like the move even though I would have taken McCoy.But damn it's nice to get Roddy at the end of the 4th in a 14 teamer. Nice squad.

Someone just offered me A Bradshaw and Dez Bryant for DMac and a WR

Not soliciting advice, just showing value and what's being offered. 12 team league

Got McFadden at 2.10 in a 12 team league, starting 2 QBs. Pretty much a no brainer at that point among the RB, only question was whether I wanted McFadden, Graham, or Griffin at that point.

Missed out on Goodson, who was taken in the 16th round out of 17, so I doubt there's a ton of loyalty from him as owner. If McFadden is healthy and Goodson barely plays for a couple weeks, he'll be out on the waiver wire quickly.

I liked Goodson in limited action in Carolina, though Oakland is a new situation and he hasn't seemed to have drawn rave reviews. Plus, Taiwan and Marcel Reece will sink in to his touches more. He could be an adequate RB2 without McFadden, but not much more. If you can get him really late, he's not a bad option to stash on your bench just in case, but he really isn't going to be a difference-maker like Bush if he got the starting job IMO.

To me, as long as you have 3 quality WR options, you can spend pretty much your entire bench on RB flyers. With McFadden, that makes even more sense. Hopefully, if McFadden breaks down, one of your lottery tickets pop and you end up okay.

Got McFadden at 2.10 in a 12 team league, starting 2 QBs. Pretty much a no brainer at that point among the RB, only question was whether I wanted McFadden, Graham, or Griffin at that point.
Wow, 2.10? What QBs went before him? I's assume; Rogers, Brady, Brees, Stafford and Newton did for sure but there had to me at least a couple more for McFadden to fall to that range. He has been a 1st rounder in every draft I've done since Mathews went down. He's pretty comfortably slatted at an ADP of 1.07.

Drafted DMC at 1.09 recently, and did not get a handcuff as its not clear to me who it is. I am most likely hoping that he starts hot in the first 3-5 weeks, and I will look to trade him at the point. That's really the only way i see to cash in on his talent, and avoid the injury risk.
Why even draft him?

Drafted DMC at 1.09 recently, and did not get a handcuff as its not clear to me who it is. I am most likely hoping that he starts hot in the first 3-5 weeks, and I will look to trade him at the point. That's really the only way i see to cash in on his talent, and avoid the injury risk.
Why even draft him?
I think he says it here.
I am most likely hoping that he starts hot in the first 3-5 weeks, and I will look to trade him at the point. That's really the only way i see to cash in on his talent, and avoid the injury risk.

Has the talent to be the best RB in the league. If he plays 16 games this year he'll be a top 3 RB with ease.

Who do you think is the better handcuff for DMC? Has there been any word from Raiders camp since the preseason ended? Will be Goodson or Jones?

Guys, guys, is anyone watching this? Instead of looking for contact, DMC is running out of bounds. He may actually make it a full 16..

:jawdrop:

They are using him correctly as a weapon. More teams should do this. R Bush, McFadden, and the like. Speed guys in space. So many teams want to force the run. McFadden appears to be in for a terrific year.

They are using him correctly as a weapon. More teams should do this. R Bush, McFadden, and the like. Speed guys in space. So many teams want to force the run. McFadden appears to be in for a terrific year.
Exactly. No need to force the run to use your best player. Dump some short balls to him and let him use his running skills to do the rest. That's what Palmer seems to be doing and it's working phenomenally.

I love it. Missed the first half and was wondering at first glance how his score was so high with only 35 yards rushing and no TD's. Very nice for PPR. If he keeps this up, he could be the #1 RB without scoring any TD's...

Carson Palmer obviously has great confidence in McFadden and is often looking for McFadden as his first target (10 rec. on 15 targets through 3 quarters). Despite a magnificent effort, McFadden came up a little short of the endzone to finish the first half, but even without a score, he is in PPR beast mode; I just hope they do not get him killed.

I would expect that once the Raiders get Moore and Ford back, McFadden's role as a receiver may be reduced somewhat.

Users who are viewing this thread