What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Painting Help Needed (1 Viewer)

OrganizedChaos

Footballguy
I have a 25 year old house and getting around to repainting the garage for the first time. To my knowledge the old paint is latex as everything inside the house was done with latex. Ceilings and walls have a lightly textured surface.

Before painting, I got rid of all dirt, spider webs, etc.and throughly cleaned all ceilings and walls with **** and span.

I edged everything and did a fair bit of painting with a 3" brush (ceiling and walls) while waiting for all my supplies to arrive.

I had no issues at all with what I painted with the brush. I started today with the roller and now is where things go bad.

I started on a small section of wall to get used to the roller and have sections of the wall flaking off as I was doing the rolling. I called the local Kelly Moore paint dealer and they said the old paint could be failing and would need to either sand everything to remove old paint or prime it.

I don't see how priming helps as I would think it would also cause the paint to flake off while I am priming it unless I apply it with a brush and not a roller.

As mentioned already I did quite a bit of work with the brush and no issues at all (some of those areas were also primed due to underlying stains). Now whether those sections start to fail soon or if they hold up I don't know. 

If i peel all the old paint off those sections would now be untextured (not prepared to texture and paint). So it seems like if I go that route I need to rip up everything I have painted already as well.

I would rather just brush everything even though it will take longer than I had planned if that holds up but don't want to do it and then all of it fail soon enough.

Anybody have experience with this type of problem? 

I’d probably hang 1/4” drywall over everything and start from scratch.  Or move 

If it’s peeling off that easy possibly try renting a wall paper steamer it will help it to peel off but probably not as well as you want

not a paint expert or anything though so maybe others will have some better advices 

If it is already flaking, it should come off fairly easy with a scraper or as the paint guy told you, sand it.  You will then likely need to prime after you get that textured coat off.  If you don't remove the old, your new paint isn't going to stick either.  

ETA...and when you figure it all out and are finished, please come and do my garage.  I have the same issue staring at me, mocking me every day.

Last edited by a moderator:
It just seems odd that I had zero issues with painting with a brush (some 10 x 20 sections of ceiling even) but immediate issues using a roller. I get that the previously painted sections could fail in a week or a year. I even tried in a couple of different areas of garage with roller just to confirm it was not tied to that one specific location.

This is just my garage so being retired did not want to pay someone to do that.  I have time to spare but definitely was not expecting to run into this issue.

Yea I am getting the idea I need to remove all the old paint. That sucks with what I have done already. Will go from being a slightly textured wall/ceiling to smooth walls. Kind of hate the texture part anyway.

I also don't see how priming over a coat of paint that is losing adhesion to sheetrock helps to hold it in place. If the old paint is losing adhesion it would seem the only choice I have is to remove it first. Then a coat of primer before painting. Weird that it seems so solid until I start rolling it. This job went from not fun but doable to outright sucking ☹️

I also don't see how priming over a coat of paint that is losing adhesion to sheetrock helps to hold it in place. If the old paint is losing adhesion it would seem the only choice I have is to remove it first. Then a coat of primer before painting. Weird that it seems so solid until I start rolling it. This job went from not fun but doable to outright sucking ☹️
If you have any sheetrocking tools you should be able to scrape that off with a drywall taping knife. Should go pretty quick, especially if you use a longer one.

Something this this.

Oh, and this turned into a 24 beer project instead of a 12 beer project.

Sand and paint. Use the paint with primer. Behr makes a paint that’s super durable called scuff defense. It’s a little more expensive but totally worth it. A 5 gallon bucket should be more than enough for your garage. 

No way I would tear out the drywall. 

Sand and paint. Use the paint with primer. Behr makes a paint that’s super durable called scuff defense. It’s a little more expensive but totally worth it. A 5 gallon bucket should be more than enough for your garage. 

No way I would tear out the drywall. 

Thanks for the input.

Definitely not tearing out the drywall.

You should prime no matter what or paint with primer 

The old paint could be flaking because it wasn't prepped properly when that got painted if it's oil-based you should use medium grit if it's water-based use fine grit just get a sanding block and just lightly sand over it they even have ones you can attach to a stick

Users who are viewing this thread