What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

DIY Wall texture help (1 Viewer)

MTskibum

Footballguy
We are in the process of redoing our bathroom. Originally it had a pink wallpaper and we stripped that to the drywall, pulled off all the fixtures, fixed the drywall issues, and primed the walls with a *mold resistant primer.

Now I need to choose a drywall texture. Anyone ever used any of the different techniques: spray on, apply with roller, direct add to paint, or other?

*I think mold resistance is a scam. The mold/mildew happen when the drywall gets wet and not when paint/primer gets wet. Already the paint/primer is waterproof, this will do nothing to prevent mildew from forming in the drywall if there is an issue that causes the drywall to get wet. Thankfully this is a guest bath and only a single gallon of primer was needed at 20! more dollars/gallon than non-mildew resistant.
/rant

roller will give you texture. so will a sponge, but you have to dab/press in to the plaster after you lay it on the drywall.

worked as a tender for a year and watched the crew do both. roller method was more common and sponge was probably the least liked method that i recall. but the most popular texture method was skip trowel. pretty easy.

i'm barely handy at all and have done skip trowel plastering a few times at home over the years.

Why do you need a texture? Just paint it

The drywall job was not that great, there are many imperfections that need to be covered.
What kind of imperfections? Sanding won't help? Or does it need to be re-taped and mudded?

Textured wall in a bathroom is a bad idea... Wet and damp area, you want easily wipeable wall, not one with texture for dirt and mold to grab on to.

Why do you need a texture? Just paint it

The drywall job was not that great, there are many imperfections that need to be covered.
What kind of imperfections? Sanding won't help? Or does it need to be re-taped and mudded?

Textured wall in a bathroom is a bad idea... Wet and damp area, you want easily wipeable wall, not one with texture for dirt and mold to grab on to.
I hate textured walks anywhere. It is a pain repairing them and much easier to repair smooth walls. Matching up texture after filling nail holes or dents can be a pain.

The spray stuff works alright, just make sure you practice a bunch before applying it to your wall. My dad owned a drywall business so I had a lot of experience texturing with a professional sprayer... I figured the little hand sprayer would be a piece of cake. It wasn't too difficult, but it took a good minute of applying different amounts at different distances and pressures before I got it to look like the rest of the room.

Furley's skip trowel idea is a good one if that's an option for you at all. It's easy, and it's what most new homes and remodels are doing with a lot of the house, especially the bathroom.

Last edited:
roller will give you texture. so will a sponge, but you have to dab/press in to the plaster after you lay it on the drywall.

worked as a tender for a year and watched the crew do both. roller method was more common and sponge was probably the least liked method that i recall. but the most popular texture method was skip trowel. pretty easy.

i'm barely handy at all and have done skip trowel plastering a few times at home over the years.
That wall looks like it has a skin disease. Ick.

Users who are viewing this thread