What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Palmer's Classy Response (1 Viewer)

wannabee

Footballguy
Bengals' Palmer Refuses to Point Blame for Injury

Quarterback Says Hit by Steelers Lineman Wasn't 'Malicious at All'

By JOE KAY, AP

CINCINNATI (Jan. 6) - One replay was all Carson Palmer needed to see. The Pro Bowl quarterback won't dwell on the play that doomed the Bengals' first playoff appearance in 15 years. He tore a knee ligament on his first pass during a 31-17 loss to Pittsburgh.

Palmer slowly shuffled around the locker room on crutches Monday, unsure when he'd have reconstructive surgery and unable to say definitively that he'll be fully recovered in time for training camp.

As for the tackle that led to it all, Palmer said Kimo von Oelhoffen did nothing.

"I don't know Kimo personally," Palmer said. "From what I've heard, he's a classy guy. Football is football. I don't think it was malicious at all. He's a guy with a high motor that plays hard and was playing hard.

"It just happened. I don't think in any way he was trying to do anything. It's just part of the game."

The Steelers lineman was stumbling as he came off a block and lunged at Palmer's legs, crashing into the side of his left knee. Palmer tore the anterior cruciate ligament when the leg bowed.

He couldn't bear to watch the replay.

"I saw it once," he said, with a pained expression. "I didn't need to see it a whole bunch more than that."

Although Palmer absolved von Oelhoffen, coach Marvin Lewis thought the officials should have penalized him for a late hit. No flag was thrown on the play, a 66-yard completion to Chris Henry.

"That kind of play is the play by the rules in place to be a penalty," Lewis said Monday. "The official didn't see it that way. I think everybody who knows Kimo knows he plays hard. He's not a bad player or bad person. He's a good person. But it's unfortunate and it happened."

Palmer expects to have reconstructive surgery soon. Every injury is different, so there's no way to tell precisely when he'll be ready to play again. The typical recovery time is six to nine months.

Although Palmer hopes to be ready for the start of training camp in six months, he knows he can't afford to push too hard in rehabilitation and suffer a setback.

"There's definitely a timeline," he said. "But I'm not going to be stupid about it. I realize I've made a commitment to this organization for the future, and I need to think about that, too.

"I'm not going to do anything that's going to affect me in a couple of years or later on this next football season. I'm going to take precautions. I'm going to work as hard as I can without doing too much."

That means that his backup will have to run the offense during minicamp, and maybe longer. Jon Kitna is a free agent after the season. Lewis declined to talk about Kitna's future on Monday, but Palmer lobbied for him to stay.

Kitna was the starter during Lewis' first season, leading the Bengals to an 8-8 finish while Palmer watched from the sideline as a rookie. Kitna has been the backup each of the last two seasons.

He took over after Palmer got hurt on Sunday and led the Bengals to a 17-14 halftime lead, going 14-of-20 for 109 yards and a touchdown without an interception. In the second half, the Steelers changed coverages and Kitna crumbled, going 10-of-20 for 88 yards with two interceptions and a fumble.

Palmer said Kitna is his main offseason concern.

"I'm not worried about anybody else other than Jon," Palmer said. "He has some opportunities to go and play some other places. I know the organization wants him back. It's a matter of what he wants to do.

"I wish him the best. I want what's best for him. But I'm also selfish, and I want him back."

Palmer's teammates are wondering whether he'll be back for training camp. He set a franchise record and led the NFL with 32 touchdown passes, and made the Pro Bowl in his second year as a starter.

Palmer sat in a locker and shared small talk with his linemen and receivers on Monday, occasionally laughing at a joke. He seemed upbeat, but teammates couldn't help but notice the metal crutches leaning against the side of the locker.

"The guy they're building our franchise around goes down with an ACL," left tackle Levi Jones said. "You don't want that to happen to anybody, but for that guy there to get hurt - basically, where our team is going to go, he's going to take us. It's definitely hard to see.

"That's definitely a concern. I'm just going to hope and pray for the best."

01/09/06 16:06 EST

To me it did not look like a cheap shot. Borderlilne late hit if that. That being said, Palmer could have been bitter and spoke from his emotions instead of the good response he gave. :thumbup:

He's doing a nice job leading his team, even now with their season over. No matter what some may say about guys only owing their team full committment and production on Sundays games are won in the offseason and during the week's prep in season. Leadership is built a day at a time and cannot be demanded on cue. Trust in one's team mates and devotion to a common cause do up lift and improve teams and those things are built precisely like this.

Palmer does definitely deserve credit for this response.

It shows class and also the responsibility that he has to represent the Bengals and the NFL in the best possible light.

I however believe that the NFL needs to assess the rules associated with how Defense players can attack the QB and where.

I watched several Atlanta games this year and saw the zebras blow the whistle when someone blew in Vick's ear. It was ridiculous and IMHO hurts both the flow of the game and the reputation of the NFL.

I also saw Griese go down for the season on a similar play when Zach Thomas rolled into him.

I also saw Roethlisberger go down for a period of weeks on a similar play when a charger lineman rolled into him.

They should throw away the concern for the "blows to the head" or "helmet to helmet" contact and concentrate on their bread and butter. The QB's legs! A QB can recover quickly from a concussion ...

IMHO, It would be better to consider a "no blow below the hips" type of rule if the QB is in the pocket. I don't want the NFL to turn into flag football without contact, but something has to change.

Food for though ...

Palmer does definitely deserve credit for this response.

It shows class and also the responsibility that he has to represent the Bengals and the NFL in the best possible light.
:goodposting: He has a great career ahead of him.

palmer's lineman let kemo go right into his leg. if anyone is at fault its the guy that was blocking von olhofen. you don't finish your blocks = your QB blows out a knee. any good lineman blocks for his QB until the whistle for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread