What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Parcells gets ripped (1 Viewer)

B-Deep

Footballguy
Hope this is not a Honda...link

Mike Fisher - Scout.comJanuary 5, 2006 at 9:30am ETIRVING, TX -- Cleverly, Bill Parcells has puppeteered this situation in a way that has rocketed the cart waaaay past the horse: Before the Cowboys decide if InfalliBill wants them, shouldn't the Cowboys decide if THEY want HIM?Ever wonder if anybody inside Valley Ranch has paused to even become aware of Parcells' demeaning style, his egomaniacal manipulation of the issue of his "retirement'' and, most of all his supervision of a team that collapsed in a way unprecedented in Cowboys history? Ever wonder if anybody inside Valley Ranch thinks the way you might think, that Parcells should be treated here like any other coach who is around .500 in his three seasons, has yet to win a playoff game and just followed a 7-3 start with a bumbling 2-4 finish?Ever wonder if anybody inside Valley Ranch doesn't worship at The Altar of Bill?Wonder no more.Some of the people at Valley Ranch who show up for work every day at 6 a.m. -- and roll their eyes when I mention to them that Parcells is claiming he shows up by 3:45 a.m. -- are aware.A fitting quote from one staffer at Cowboys HQ: "He's the greatest actor I've ever seen. And yes, that includes Jimmy Johnson.''What Parcells is doing to your Cowboys now is not unlike the con job Jimmy pulled back in '94. Never honest about his plans to depart Dallas on his terms, Johnson first sneakily volunteered himself for a job with expansion Jacksonville -- and did so with a backstab to boot, since Jags owner Wayne Weaver had phoned Jimmy to ask about Norv Turner's candidacy, not Jimmy's. Then Johnson put a scare into Cowboys Nation by pretending to be offended by Jerry Jones' innocuous "500 coaches'' remark. When Jones finally bucked up by telling Jimmy that he wanted the coach to stay but that he should "Commit or Quit,'' Johnson's bluff was called.He quit -- and still somehow persuaded Jones to write him a fat severance check.Along comes Bill Parcells, who is now whoring on that same side of the street.If Bill wanted to motivate his team into beating Washington in Game 14 (and for that matter, the Rams in Game 16), he could have told them that he was retiring, and to therefore "Win One For The Tuna.'' If he wanted to "avoid the distraction'' of him considering retirement, he could have comforted him team (and his stockholders, the fans) by denying the rumors and promising to remain in Dallas to finish the job he was hired to do. And if he wanted a contract extension to ensure the security of his staff, he could have simply said that, publicly or privately, as well.Instead, he planted the retirement rumor (and yes, what was once my speculation is now widely believed to be fact among Cowboys staffers). He CAUSED the distraction. He IS the distraction.If Parcells does take his sweet time to decide to depart, prime candidates to replace him might have been gobbled up. Already, his two coordinators are prepping to interview elsewhere, when rightfully, Sean Payton and Mike Zimmer should have the opportunity to be elevated in Dallas. (Sound familiar? Yes, when Jimmy stiffed Jerry back in '94, he also stiffed Norv. Jimmy's timing was so perfectly evil that it forced Turner to go to Washington rather than take over here, where an Aikman-Turner marriage would likely have thrived more than the Aikman-Switzer relationship did. Oh, that Jimmy, so considerate of his friends. ...)What does Bill Parcells really do at 3:45 a.m.? Maybe that's when he phones his media buddies and plants stories of his retirement. Stories that will get the court of public opinion on his side. Stories that will worry his owner. Stories that will increase his paycheck.And then at 3:46 a.m., Bill scripts how he'll tersely explain to the rest of the reporters that he has no idea where "you guys'' come up with these stories. And how "you guys'' are distracting his team. "Bleep That!''' begins the script.I've written this before in this space. I'll write it with more muscle here: My friend Chris Mortensen IS "you guys.'' I'm told Mort and Bill talked before the ESPN "NFL Countdown'' show that featured Mort's "contemplating retirement'' scoop. Talked THAT MORNING. I'm also told Mort and Bill have discussed the coach returning to the network at some point. And by the way, even if you question my accuracy here, again understand this: Employees at Valley Ranch -- Bill's employees -- believe it.How do you ask loyalty when you don't show loyalty? How do you demand commitment when you don't practice commitment? And after you ask your wife if she wants to remain married to you, how long do you wait while she "contemplates''? How badly do you want to stay in a partnership to someone who claims to be uncertain he wants to be in it at all?It is pathetic and sad that Parcells' "recent losses'' are being included as part of this story. When you are a 62-year-old person, family members die. Divorces occur. There is cancer and suicide and heartbreak and it sucks. S--- happens.Death and divorce and s---, that is not what this is about. This is, at its purest, Parcells contemplating his navel but making damn sure the navel contemplation is leaked through media friends in case there was a way to get his $4.25-mil-a-year salary bumped and extended.This is, at its dirtiest, Parcells bullying more than just a defenseless kicker or a faceless assistant coach or a dorky media suck-up. This is Bill Parcells bullying and manipulating and puppeteering everyone at Valley Ranch, from the owner on down, and everyone who follows the Cowboys, you included.Did you know that some members of the front office have not been allowed to see the team practice for the last two years?Did you know that a legendary ex-Cowboy was once kicked off the field at training camp because, as Parcells barked, "this is MY field''?Did you ever wonder why a loyal Parcellian named Maurice Carthon skipped town to make a lateral move to Cleveland (Cleveland!) with nary an explanation?Did you know that not long ago, one long-time Valley Ranch employee was chased away from the otherwise empty trainer's room by a Parcells henchman for committing the crime of simply wanting to fetch an aspirin for his kid?I want Bill Parcells to be the coach of the Dallas Cowboys. But having lived through the Jimmy Johnson debacle, I also say I want Bill Parcells to WANT to be the coach of the Dallas Cowboys. And that if he doesn't, he cannot leave soon enough.Buffalo's Marv Levy used to say that once a person starts thinking of retirement, he might as well fully say goodbye. Parcells has the option of doing just that. He's free to pack for Saratoga Springs or Briston, Conn., or the Jets or the Lions.Or. ...He can quit lifting his skirt every time ESPN calls. He can drop the puppeteer strings. He can subject himself to the same rigorous grading system as he does other Cowboys. He can show up at 2 a.m. or 3:45 a.m. or 6 a.m. or, for all I care, 9 a.m., and not bother holding a press conference to announce it. He can ask Jerry what the owner wants to him to do, contractually, and say, "yessir, Mr. Jones, because I've underperformed so far anyway.'' He can re-earn the respect of his employees by treating them like human beings, which would go a long way to raising morale and dropping those rolling eyeballs. And right before he gets his butt back to work -- real work, not ego-feeding bullying and fraudulent image-making and money-grubbing posturing -- he can distribute much-needed aspirin to all of us.Because he's given all of Cowboys Nation a collective headache.

This writes hates Bill and Jimmy but I bet he loves Jerry. This writer is a known mouthpiece for Jerry Jones.

This writes hates Bill and Jimmy but I bet he loves Jerry.

This writer is a known mouthpiece for Jerry Jones.
you may be right, I know nothing about him.HOWEVER, if you are right then it stands to reason Jerry is ok with what was written, which does not bode well for the happy family they are trying to portray.

There has been alot of information coming out lately, coaches as well as people in the front office about how horrible it is to work for Bill. Some in the front office whom have worked there for years have left their job becuase Bill tries to push them around. This thing has become a great distraction and many would just rather see Bill leave. :thumbdown:

There has been alot of information coming out lately, coaches as well as people in the front office about how horrible it is to work for Bill.

Some in the front office whom have worked there for years have left their job becuase Bill tries to push them around. This thing has become a great distraction and many would just rather see Bill leave. :thumbdown:
Um, well I'm hearing about radio reports about how he just was signed to an extension. :lmao:

It is well know that a lot of people dislike him who cares. Who likes there boss? Look at his draft last year and all the young talent the future is bright with or without him thanks to him.

Parcells did sign an extention through 2007. He'll be around for at least another year, maybe two.

It is well know that a lot of people dislike him who cares. Who likes there boss? Look at his draft last year and all the young talent the future is bright with or without him thanks to him.
slimflop,I mean no disrespect but if your going to point out his drafting, please point out all of them and not just one. After all he's been here for three years not one. IMHO it's been average. And we also look at the FA he's brought in.

Tex

LOL...Big Tuna may not know how to coach any more, but he certainly knows how to bluff Jerry Jones into thinking he's contemplating retirement to increase his 'fun money' for his 'adult diaper years'.

They need Parcells for one more year. The talent pool is becoming younger and deeper. Sure you have your Parcell retreads in Bledsoe, Johnson, and Glenn, but the defense is young. A few solid pickups in free agency or the draft and the Cowboys are set for several years. At that point you put a hungry new coach in charge with the young yet experienced talent.

They need Parcells for one more year. The talent pool is becoming younger and deeper. Sure you have your Parcell retreads in Bledsoe, Johnson, and Glenn, but the defense is young. A few solid pickups in free agency or the draft and the Cowboys are set for several years. At that point you put a hungry new coach in charge with the young yet experienced talent.
Based upon his history, one more year is all he's going to give.

If you've read Halberstam's great book on Belichick, the impression you get about Parcells -- not from Belichick but from Halberstam's take on how Tuna treated BB while he was an assistant -- is that he's nothing but a bitter, jealous, bullying lout who knows that his success was tied directly to BB, hence his constant jealousy of BB's growing reputation as a "genius" when he, PArcells, was supposed to be the Boss and the Man.

In fact, in one scene that Halberstam recounts -- and I'm paraphrasing but this is the gist -- Parcells lashes out like a little f'n baby at Belichick. It was when they were w/ the Jets, and Belichick suggested they call a certain defensive scheme at a crucial moment in one game, Parcells wanted to run something else, the two went back and forth, and finally Parcells gave in. Well, BB was right, his scheme worked and they made a key stop and won, while the defense Parcells wanted to call would not have worked. So, how does Parcells handle this? Right into his headphones, in front of all his coaching staff and several media members, he starts ranting and whining and mocking Belichick, "Well, that's why you're a 'genius' I guess, everyone knows you're a f*CCking genius.." like a spoiled little girl.

Tuna is one of the more hatable figures in sports. Period.

edit to add: I'm not a Pats homer or huge BB fan, I just think Parcells is a relative fraud, a huckster, a lout, and a bully, and he is so far from being anywhere near as strong a football mind as Belichick. He's the proverbial arrogant boss who wants to hold his star employees down because he fears that he will be exposed once THEIR talent is revealed.

Last edited by a moderator:
slimflop,I mean no disrespect but if your going to point out his drafting, please point out all of them and not just one. After all he's been here for three years not one. IMHO it's been average. And we also look at the FA he's brought in.

Tex
let's look at the draft prior to and during parcells. note he also fired lacewell just last year.1999 ekuban was ok, dat was great

Rd Sel# Player Pos. School

1 20 Ebenezer Ekuban DE North Carolina

2 55 Solomon Page G West Virginia

3 85 Dat Nguyen MLB Texas A&M

4 118 Wane McGarity WR Texas

4 132 Peppi Zellner DE Fort Valley State

6 193 MarTay Jenkins WR Nebraska-Omaha

7 229 Mike Lucky TE Arizona

7 243 Kelvin Garmon G Baylor

2000 mario edwards was ok

2 49 Dwayne Goodrich CB Tennessee

4 109 Kareem Larrimore CB West Texas A&M

5 144 Michael Wiley RB Ohio State

6 180 Mario Edwards CB Florida State

7 219 Orantes Grant OLB Georgia

2001 dixon, blade, and steele were ok. Matt Lehr is playing good for the falcons

2 53 Quincy Carter QB Georgia

2 56 Tony Dixon SS Alabama

3 93 Willie Blade DT Mississippi State

4 122 Markus Steele OLB Southern California

5 137 Matt Lehr G Virginia Tech

6 171 Daleroy Stewart DT Southern Mississippi

7 207 Colston Weatherington NT Central Missouri

7 240 John Nix NT Southern Mississippi

7 242 Char-ron Dorsey T Florida State

2002 roy williams, great pick, ok picks in gurode and bryant

1 8 Roy Williams FS Oklahoma

2 37 Andre Gurode G Colorado

2 63 Antonio Bryant WR Pittsburgh

3 75 Derek Ross CB Ohio State

4 129 Jamar Martin FB Ohio State

5 168 Pete Hunter CB Virginia Union

6 179 Tyson Walter C Ohio State

6 208 Deveren Johnson WR Sacred Heart

6 211 Bob Slowikowski TE Virginia Tech

2003 great pick in newman and witten, johnson is junk, but might be good, james is coming along

1 5 Terence Newman CB Kansas State

2 38 Al Johnson C Wisconsin

3 69 Jason Witten TE Tennessee

4 103 Bradie James OLB Louisiana State

6 178 B.J. Tucker DB Wisconsin

6 186 Zuriel Smith WR Hampton

7 219 Justin Bates G Colorado

2004 JJ is good, rogers is a BIG bust, crayton is coming along nicely

2 43 Julius Jones RB Notre Dame

2 52 Jacob Rogers T Southern California

3 83 Stephen Peterman G Louisiana State

4 121 Bruce Thornton CB Georgia

5 144 Sean Ryan TE Boston College

7 205 Nathan Jones CB Rutgers

7 216 Patrick Crayton WR N.W. Oklahoma

7 223 Jacques Reeves CB Purdue

2005 ware, spears, and canty look great, barber is ok.

1 11 Ware, Demarcus DE 6-4 247 Troy State

1 20 Spears, Marcus DE 6-4 298 Louisiana State

2 42 Burnett, Kevin OLB 6-3 237 Tennessee

4 109 Barber, Marion RB 5-11 221 Minnesota

4 132 Canty, Chris DE 6-7 286 Virginia

6 208 Beriault, Justin FS 6-2 199 Ball State

6 209 Petitti, Rob OT 6-6 347 Pittsburgh

7 224 Ratliff, Jeremiah 'Jay' DE 6-3 293 Auburn

so prior to, they got roy williams as a pro bowler.

post they got newman and witten, and this past year ware and canty all as potential pro bowlers. the one similarity that has hurt the cowboys is the inability to draft a good oline. even with the biggest purse. very sad. :rant:

Tex
let's look at the draft prior to and during parcells. note he also fired lacewell just last year.1999 ekuban was ok, dat was great

2001 dixon, blade, and steele were ok. Matt Lehr is playing good for the falcons

2003 great pick in newman and witten, johnson is junk, but might be good, james is coming along

post they got newman and witten, and this past year ware and canty all as potential pro bowlers. the one similarity that has hurt the cowboys is the inability to draft a good oline. even with the biggest purse. very sad. :rant:
Nice Post. I can't wait to see who the Boyz draft next. Can we please get some O-line help?

I've had the same feeling about Parcells for years. Always thought he rode BB's coat tail; hated the bullying/demeaning style; and, most of all, thought he made himself a distraction BEFORE the Patriots/Green Bay Superbowl. That was unforgivable.Left New England in a cluster jam way; same with the Jets; even screwed up possibly going to Tampa (I recall some protocol issues, such as tampering). He'll leave EDallas eventually under awkward circumstance.See, its all about the Tuna. Overrated.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had the same feeling about Parcells for years. Always thought he rode BB's coat tail; hated the bullying/demeaning style; and, most of all, thought he made himself a distraction BEFORE the Patriots/Green Bay Superbowl. That was unforgivable.
:goodposting: A great coach would never do what Parcells did to the Patriots before Super Bowl XXXI.

Left New England in a cluster jam way; same with the Jets; even screwed up possibly going to Tampa (I recall some protocol issues, such as tampering). He'll leave EDallas eventually under awkward circumstance.

See, its all about the Tuna. Overrated.
Pretty much. Parcells loves to go to an underachieving team with talent, get them to improve and leave when they seem on the verge leaving many to believe he could have got them over the top had he stayed, but in reality, he had taken them as far as he could.

Cowboys record under Parcells:2005: 9-72004: 6-102003: 10-6 (keeping in mind, they beat ONE winning team)Overall: 25-23If one game went the other way, Big Tuna's record down in Dallas would be .500GIVE THAT MAN AN EXTENSION!!!!!!What a flippin' joke....The game has passed him by.

Cowboys record under Parcells:

2005: 9-7

2004: 6-10

2003: 10-6 (keeping in mind, they beat ONE winning team)

Overall: 25-23

If one game went the other way, Big Tuna's record down in Dallas would be .500

GIVE THAT MAN AN EXTENSION!!!!!!

What a flippin' joke....

The game has passed him by.
I am so tired of hearing this crap. The Cowboys were the worst run franchise in the NFL after Jimmy Johnson left and the salary cap started. Parcells has taken this team from a joke to a contender. They overachieved the first season. The second season they hadn't planned for Carter doing drugs and getting fired. They had to bring in Testeverde. Not Parcells fault. This season was his team. They were one game away from the playoffs with a team that was a year away. This year the team will be even better and will challenge for the division. Saying the game has passed him by is one of the dumbest things I have ever heard. :thumbdown:

2003: 10-6  (keeping in mind, they beat ONE winning team)

Overall:  25-23

What a flippin' joke....

Saying the game has passed him by is one of the dumbest things I have ever heard. :thumbdown:
Grid writes a lot of dumb things here.

Parcells loves to go to an underachieving team with talent, get them to improve and leave
That's my general impression too. I claim that in today's NFL, it is just not that hard to turn a losing team into a .500 team, which is what Parcells has done. In the 3 years before Parcells got there, the Cowboys won a total of 15 games. That's pretty bad. Between 1990 and 2000, I found 35 teams that had a 3-year stretch with between 14 and 16 wins. So that's a group of 35 teams that, as a group, must be considered pretty comparable to the team Parcells took over.

Over the next three years, those teams won an average of 22 games. Parcells has won 25. More than half of those teams (20 of 35) made the playoffs at least once in the next three years. Parcells has made the playoffs once.

Solid coaching effort? Yes.

Miracle worker / legend / God? No.

Well, the writer definitely has an opinion and is letting it completely cloud everything he has to say, but some of the things he has to say, are not that hard to belive about Bill. As a Cowboy fan, I love Parcell's and think he brings the Cowboys the best chance to win. I personally really like Parcells and his coaching style. I will agree that many people have been outspoken about Bill and he definitely rubs a lot of people the wrong way. I have become pretty good friends with a former coach (not a head coach) and member of the Cowboys organization and he said this to me "Jerry Jones is one of the greatest people you will ever meet, on or off the football field. He is a good friend, a good human being and a very caring person for the people in his organization. I have nothing to say about the other guy (Parcells)" He recently retired and I believe some of this was due to his relationship with Parcells. He would not come out and say that or anything negative about Bill, but it was clear, he isn't his biggest fan.

2003: 10-6  (keeping in mind, they beat ONE winning team)

Overall:  25-23

What a flippin' joke....

Saying the game has passed him by is one of the dumbest things I have ever heard. :thumbdown:
Grid writes a lot of dumb things here.
You guys can celebrate mediocrity. The Big Tuna hasn't done squat in the past decade. It's a fact.

Halberstam gets into a little of Parcells's actions prior to the SB against GB in 1996, and it's a f'n disgrace how that narcissistic, selfish ******* behaved and submarined his team's chances of winning (GB was firing on all cylinders and NE prob. would have lost anyway, but the distractions sealed their fate). He claimed he'd had no contact with the Jets, but a quick check of his hotel phone log by Boston reporters showed somewhere in the neighborhood of a zillion calls back and forth between Hempstead, NY, the Jets headquarters. A liar, a fraud, and a paranoid, bitter, jealous second-tier coach in head coach's clothing.Can you tell I don't like this guy? ;)

Parcells loves to go to an underachieving team with talent, get them to improve and leave
That's my general impression too. I claim that in today's NFL, it is just not that hard to turn a losing team into a .500 team, which is what Parcells has done. In the 3 years before Parcells got there, the Cowboys won a total of 15 games. That's pretty bad. Between 1990 and 2000, I found 35 teams that had a 3-year stretch with between 14 and 16 wins. So that's a group of 35 teams that, as a group, must be considered pretty comparable to the team Parcells took over.

Over the next three years, those teams won an average of 22 games. Parcells has won 25. More than half of those teams (20 of 35) made the playoffs at least once in the next three years. Parcells has made the playoffs once.

Solid coaching effort? Yes.

Miracle worker / legend / God? No.
averages work against him here I suppose because ya gotta give him big props for being in the playoffs with Quincy and Troy Hambrick his first year. Miracle may be too strong but geesh those guys are out or all but out of football....it's definitely a :thumbup: job by him that year

Tex

actually that's better than most teams in a way(whole post not just 3). I mean there's not so many flops there. At least Quincy became a starting QB. Martay Jenkins had his moments and I never thought he was a sleeper in FF :bag: The average career is like 4 years in the NFL. If you went with just draft picks during these years, counted starts and all, I'd bet this is considerred a pretty decent drafting job by the Boys. I understand you want stars and not "just" guys that play but....

Huge Dallas fan here and i must say that I am excited about next season. Looking back on this past season losing Flozell Adams hurt immensely. Dallas lost alot of nail biters this year and i can only how different the season would have been if Flozell had not gotten injured. The Dallas Cowboys were in shambles pre Parcells era. Parcells has transformed this team. I believe he is a miracle worker. Say what you want. But being able to win 6 games with Testaverde as your QB is pretty good. Parcells biggest downfall since coming to Dallas was the inablity at QB. Say what you want about Parcells but out of all the coaches available right now there is not one that I would prefer over Parcells.

I certainly hope you look forward to next season. But the clock is tickin' as once Bledsoe goes down or retires, that team is screwed.Not that one game over .500 is anything special. Mike Tice did it and he got released by the Vikes.Nick Saban did it in his rookie season as an NFL Head Coach.

Parcells has taken this team from a joke to a contender.
I would not call Dallas a contender. Not with the way they collapsed down the stretch (2-4 to close the season). I do not agree with the comment that the game has passed Parcells by, but I do not think he is the coaching God that some make him out to be. He is obviously very good at getting a team to improve, but he doesn't seem to be able to get his teams past certain points anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread