What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Patriots being investigated after Colts game (2 Viewers)

Percent of NFL teams actively trying to steal play sheets?

• 0%

Votes: 90 33.0%
  • 25%

Votes: 91 33.3%
  • 50%

Votes: 19 7.0%
  • 75%

Votes: 16 5.9%
  • 100%

Votes: 57 20.9%

• Total voters
so they basically roughed the balls up (likely using a dryer or other tumbling machine) and that heated the air inside. So how exactly is that different from inflating with hot air. From my perspective, they were playing with a 10.5 psi ball which is illegal. And this looks to be how they prep their footballs every week, so this indicated they have been way under the legal threshold for a long time now.

This does not change the narrative for me at all. The Patriots just as well could have been pumping them with hot air or helium. The knew their method would lower the PSI to well below the acceptable standard during game play.
I think he was pretty emphatic that they did not heat the balls, but nice try......
You know some other way for the PSI to go up? I mean if it's not heat... ?
Friction. No heating element needed....apparently.
Friction adds heat.

so they basically roughed the balls up (likely using a dryer or other tumbling machine) and that heated the air inside. So how exactly is that different from inflating with hot air. From my perspective, they were playing with a 10.5 psi ball which is illegal. And this looks to be how they prep their footballs every week, so this indicated they have been way under the legal threshold for a long time now.

This does not change the narrative for me at all. The Patriots just as well could have been pumping them with hot air or helium. The knew their method would lower the PSI to well below the acceptable standard during game play.
They did? BB said at no point did they heat up the balls in any way. They rubbed them for texture. I think that might be hard to prove.

As far as Dodds comments go, it sounds like multiple teams at least submit footballs that may not meet the PSI threshold and how they get through. So when they get into games, those teams would technically be cheating also. Huge differnece in trying to beat the system pre inspection than covertly altering the balls after they were inspected.

He served the function as the defense lawyer trying to come up with an alternate theory to create reasonable doubt. Since the NFL was dragging their feet saying anything, it was a good play to slow to down the public lynching they're taking. And most of that lynching is because they've lost the benefit of the doubt with everyone outside of their fans.

So he's basically saying they bounce the balls around enough that the pressure is artificially inflated right before the officials do their thing, and then the pressure drops back down below, and then a little more because of a 20 degree drop in weather?

Pats fans will feel this should close the book on it I'm sure. Personally, I can't imagine what they do that'll raise the PSI by 1 just by rubbing them unless they're running through a cycle in a dryer.

It's the NFL's turn, and given the opportunity, I'm sure they'll want to make this go away if they have a way to do it. I also don't believe for a second that if this version is true, they don't know the impact that stuff has on the pressure of the ball.
So now the argument against the patriots moves from wrongdoing to intent? Is that what we are doing now?
Best case is intent. If they artificially heated the balls up (which is the ONLY way to raise the PSI like that and have it drop back down, whether it's rubbing them or a dryer or something), they knew exactly what they were doing and were well aware that as the balls cool off, the PSI would drop well below the legal standard. For Bill to use the "we didn't know that would happen" excuse is kind of ridiculous.

Worst case is wrongdoing, which all along would be very difficult to prove without a smoking gun.

It was a very well thought out and tactical press conference with nothing said that can be immediately disputed. Which probably was the point of it all.

100% convinced at this point that even if the league comes out and issues an apology and finds no fault in the Pats organization people will still be harping about this garbage in 10 years.
oh....That's a certainty. Even if they are completely exonerated of this, haters will still point to it as part of a "culture of cheating" a decade from now.

Pretty cool presser.

I hate that man.

But, I'm thinking, at this point, nothing was done intentionally to circumvent the PSI requirements.

Should they still be responsible for making sure the balls stayed at 12.5 though? That I'm not sure of. It's under him to follow the rules.

If Brady can tell Harbaugh to learn the rulebook, maybe the same could be said here?
yea but the rule says the team will "offer" balls to the ref and he will judge them. the rule itself puts it on the ref not the teams

Why is the NFL dragging their feet on reporting their findings?

I suspect they are not sure how to tell the public that their ref in charge didn't pressure test the footballs with a gauge before the game.

People would be up in arms .... Patriot haters would cry "fix".

Or is it my theory (yes, mine :thumbup: ) of the Pats using hot air to inflate the balls would be another scenario that would explain pressure loss without "altering" the footballs.

If this if found to be the case, what can the NFL do?

a) The Patriots supplied balls that met league specifications and were approved for play by NFL officials.

b) The balls were not altered at any time.

How could the NFL penalize a team for this?
They have no problem admitting wrong calls on the field....why would this be any different? Why would the NFL want this story around the week before and leading into the SuperBowl? If they wanted to put the kibosh on it...they'd just say that they did a cursory look before the game, things appeared right and they did a more in depth look at halftime. The level of griping and complaining about "fixes" being in would be miniscule to the level of griping and complaining that fix is in after this past week if the Pats are exonerated.

Per a local radio station, the analysist thought that the NFL's silence more mirrored that of the Bountygate situation; where the NFL wanted to collected more info before it confronted Sean Peyton.
Well that settles it, you know if a local radio station analyst said it then it must be true.
Yup.

that's not what the rule says though. states they have to be at the correct psi when they are checked before the game.

so they basically roughed the balls up (likely using a dryer or other tumbling machine) and that heated the air inside. So how exactly is that different from inflating with hot air. From my perspective, they were playing with a 10.5 psi ball which is illegal. And this looks to be how they prep their footballs every week, so this indicated they have been way under the legal threshold for a long time now. This does not change the narrative for me at all. The Patriots just as well could have been pumping them with hot air or helium. The knew their method would lower the PSI to well below the acceptable standard during game play.
I think he was pretty emphatic that they did not heat the balls, but nice try......
They add heat unintentionally through the friction process, get the balls just the way they want them, make sure they are at 12.5 ( I.e the way tom likes them), then they sit and slowly fall back to the 11.5 equilibrium. Then the balls are brought to the officials and the officials are told that if they are out on compliance to bring them to 12.5 cuz that is how tom likes them.

BB is basically saying that they were unintentionally brought to the officials below spec and if the officials don't correct them well then that is on goodell and his boys, NOT BB and TB.

They did? BB said at no point did they heat up the balls in any way. They rubbed them for texture. I think that might be hard to prove.
Yep. He said they rubbed for texture so much and so hard that it raised the PSI by a full pound.

I'd love to know how realistic that is, because that's an awful lot of heat needed to do that to the air inside of a football.

He served the function as the defense lawyer trying to come up with an alternate theory to create reasonable doubt. Since the NFL was dragging their feet saying anything, it was a good play to slow to down the public lynching they're taking. And most of that lynching is because they've lost the benefit of the doubt with everyone outside of their fans.

So he's basically saying they bounce the balls around enough that the pressure is artificially inflated right before the officials do their thing, and then the pressure drops back down below, and then a little more because of a 20 degree drop in weather?

Pats fans will feel this should close the book on it I'm sure. Personally, I can't imagine what they do that'll raise the PSI by 1 just by rubbing them unless they're running through a cycle in a dryer.

It's the NFL's turn, and given the opportunity, I'm sure they'll want to make this go away if they have a way to do it. I also don't believe for a second that if this version is true, they don't know the impact that stuff has on the pressure of the ball.
So now the argument against the patriots moves from wrongdoing to intent? Is that what we are doing now?
Best case is intent. If they artificially heated the balls up (which is the ONLY way to raise the PSI like that and have it drop back down, whether it's rubbing them or a dryer or something), they knew exactly what they were doing and were well aware that as the balls cool off, the PSI would drop well below the legal standard. For Bill to use the "we didn't know that would happen" excuse is kind of ridiculous.

Worst case is wrongdoing, which all along would be very difficult to prove without a smoking gun.

It was a very well thought out and tactical press conference with nothing said that can be immediately disputed. Which probably was the point of it all.
In order for this to happen, it would also be the case that the "prep" occurred right before they were given to the referees. So they prep all the balls right before giving them to the refs instead of in the days before the game?

ever since this nonsense went all Benghazi on us, I've always felt like the future would prove the innocence of the team.

NFL instututes strict pre-game and halftime pressure checks

NFL realizes that psi changes happen all the damn time, especially in cold weather, outdoor stadiums

Everybody says "dang, BB was telling the truth after all....oh well, they're still a bunch of rotten cheaters...Just, you know....cuz."

Yep. He said they rubbed for texture so much and so hard that it raised the PSI by a full pound. I'd love to know how realistic that is, because that's an awful lot of heat needed to do that to the air inside of a football.
I agree, but we'll find out what 'the process' is soon enough I guess.

I don't buy it either, but I do think it makes it a lot harder to prove intent though.

Pretty cool presser.

I hate that man.

But, I'm thinking, at this point, nothing was done intentionally to circumvent the PSI requirements.

Should they still be responsible for making sure the balls stayed at 12.5 though? That I'm not sure of. It's under him to follow the rules.

If Brady can tell Harbaugh to learn the rulebook, maybe the same could be said here?
yea but the rule says the team will "offer" balls to the ref and he will judge them. the rule itself puts it on the ref not the teams
Fair point.

I, admittedly, am ignorant when it comes to the rules and how the refs are involved. Haven't followed along too much with this.

Pretty cool presser.

I hate that man.

This seemed the most likely scenario and it still does. I'm interested to hear the next NFL update although it's probably after the Super Bowl. My opinion is they gave balls off spec and the refs approved them. The presser hasn't changed this. Personally I don't think that is a big deal. Rodgers admitted to the same and we collectively agree it's no real issue.

I'll be interested if the NFL agrees or of they offer something to refute.

Yep. He said they rubbed for texture so much and so hard that it raised the PSI by a full pound. I'd love to know how realistic that is, because that's an awful lot of heat needed to do that to the air inside of a football.
If you have some free time 10-15 minutes read how the Giant prepare the game balls for Eli. It's a months long process. I'm not too shocked if it involves a lot.

From another forum I read:

Basically the Patriots artificially increased the temperature of the air inside the ball by "scrubbing it" through friction. The leather and bladder of the ball then cooldown much faster as the air inside because they isolate air against outside influence. After this polish the equipment manager checks that the balls are inflated to 12.5 psi (air still hot), the refs do the same (air still hot), the ball goes out on the field, cools down and there you go 10.5 PSI.

You can say this is a violation of the spirit of the rule, but as Bill said they "followed the rule to the letter".

Oh and if you don't trust Bill, there is no way in hell he does this press conference if he is not 100% sure.
There's no real reason for Bill to be quoting psi increase numbers related to rubbing a ball unless some process like that was discussed.

The rubdowns would need to be occurring like right before the ball was measured, though.

David - you are better than this. Wow.

so they basically roughed the balls up (likely using a dryer or other tumbling machine) and that heated the air inside. So how exactly is that different from inflating with hot air. From my perspective, they were playing with a 10.5 psi ball which is illegal. And this looks to be how they prep their footballs every week, so this indicated they have been way under the legal threshold for a long time now. This does not change the narrative for me at all. The Patriots just as well could have been pumping them with hot air or helium. The knew their method would lower the PSI to well below the acceptable standard during game play.
They add heat unintentionally through the friction process, get the balls just the way they want them, make sure they are at 12.5 ( I.e the way tom likes them), then they sit and slowly fall back to the 11.5 equilibrium. Then the balls are brought to the officials and the officials are told that if they are out on compliance to bring them to 12.5 cuz that is how tom likes them.

BB is basically saying that they were unintentionally brought to the officials below spec and if the officials don't correct them well then that is on goodell and his boys, NOT BB and TB.
That's my understanding of the situation, and it makes sense to me. Doesn't clear the Pats because there are still significant open questions. I'm about to head out for the night so I won't be getting onto it, but ultimately it doesn't matter. Everything will be brought to light once the NFL releases it's report.

Man, I love this story. I love scandals, I love scandals that involve physics, and I'm not afraid to admit - there's more than a little Schadenfreude as well.

Basically the Patriots artificially increased the temperature of the air inside the ball by "scrubbing it" through friction. The leather and bladder of the ball then cooldown much faster as the air inside because they isolate air against outside influence. After this polish the equipment manager checks that the balls are inflated to 12.5 psi (air still hot), the refs do the same (air still hot), the ball goes out on the field, cools down and there you go 10.5 PSI.

You can say this is a violation of the spirit of the rule, but as Bill said they "followed the rule to the letter".

Oh and if you don't trust Bill, there is no way in hell he does this press conference if he is not 100% sure.
There's no real reason for Bill to be quoting psi increase numbers related to rubbing a ball unless some process like that was discussed.

The rubdowns would need to be occurring like right before the ball was measured, though.
So they'll probably change the rule that balls must go to the ref 5 hours before the game time and then checked 2 hours before to get an accurate reading.

So they rubbed the balls and it made them drop 1-1.5 psi, big freaking deal. Last I knew it wasn't against the rules to rub down a ball before the game. No one knows there was any intent here to cheat, maybe the qb likes the feel of a freshly rubbed ball and maybe they had no idea it deflated the ball? Just because the act of rubbing deflates a ball doesn't prove any wrong doing. Epic fail if this is the lynch pin in the prosecution. This is honestly becoming laughable.

I'm a few pages late on this part of the discussion, but can we all step back to reality for a second here and be honest with ourselves. Are the people that are claiming we need every last drop of evidence before casting any kind of judgement not amongst the absolute masses that judged people like OJ Simpson and Casey Anthony not only before all the evidence was out, but even after they were acquitted in a court of law? Do you really intend to argue that you think no differently of Aaron Hernandez right now than you did 3 years ago because he hasn't actually been found guilty of anything yet?

Given that, is it really that difficult to imagine most people think more poorly of the Pats when, not only have they not been acquitted of anything yet, but have all likely current evidence pointing against them and have a history of scandal?

I find it absurdly unlikely that every single New England Patriots fan just happens to fall into the extremely tiny minority that refuses to case any kind of judgement on anyone before every last shred of evidence has been found, verified, and then re-verified again. And I'm sure those same people will be just as ready to line up and personally condemn the next politician of the opposing party that is accused of cheating on his wife despite current evidence being only circumstantial stuff that is reported on news outlets. I find it equally as likely that many of those same exact people would be just as loudly screaming "cheaters!" if the circumstances that surrounded the New England Patriots for the last 10 years had instead happened to some other team.

"Innocent until proven guilty" refers only to someone's standing in a court of law. It absolutely does not hold any water in the realm of a person or organization's image and anyone claiming it does is almost certainly a hypocrite and has broken that rule dozens of times in their life.

You kow how I know Bill is being 100% truthful and that this is all bull####? Because he stood in that podium and got hammered nationally for "spygate" and not once did he downplay the severity of the fines imposed or the process the NFL used. He went up there, owned up to it, got his integrity questioned and weathered the year long ####storm that came along with it. In his mind he obviously thought it was unfair that he was being punished this harshly for inconsequential bull#### that's rampant around the league, but he knew technically he was in the wrong, so he didn't fight it. The fact that he came on so strong today leaves no doubt in my mind the Pats had absolutely nothing to do with this.
Wait, so you offer to dissect the ### of a forum member, AND you are now blatantly fellating Belichick. Dude...get a room...you're getting way too excited.We get it, you think BB is a swell guy. Relax.
No no no. You don't get to convict someone with no real evidence, sully their legacy, rake them and their fans over the coals for a week, and then not expect a big comeuppance when the team comes back and ##### slaps everyone in the face.Relax my ###. You clowns spent all week on this BS. Pats fans are just getting started.

Last edited:

That's my understanding of the situation, and it makes sense to me. Doesn't clear the Pats because there are still significant open questions. I'm about to head out for the night so I won't be getting onto it, but ultimately it doesn't matter. Everything will be brought to light once the NFL releases it's report.Man, I love this story. I love scandals, I love scandals that involve physics, and I'm not afraid to admit - there's more than a little Schadenfreude as well.
You love being judge, jury and executioner against a team you hate because they've been kicking your ### for 15 years.

Bellichick gives the middle finger..love it. Who would have thought to actually bring science into this? shocking...Most of the sheep would rather just follow what the media was trying to feed. People are really dumb..

How many times did he say "balls" and then correct himself and say "footballs" because he instantly realized in his head how it sounded? :lol:

So they'll probably change the rule that balls must go to the ref 5 hours before the game time and then checked 2 hours before to get an accurate reading.
yeah it'll be interesting if we'll have a "pressure rule" change much like ye olde "Tuck rule"

I hope some of these knobslobbers are ready to eat some crow: i'm talkng to you Aikman (spending too much time with Joe Buck), Brunell (what rock did he crawl out of), and Chris Mortenson and other sychophants at ESPN, among others.

deflate this..

“We took 12 brand new authentic NFL footballs and exposed them to the different elements they would
have experienced throughout the game.” said Thomas Healy, founder of HeadSmart Labs. “Out of the
twelve footballs we tested, we found that on average, footballs dropped 1.8 PSI when being exposed to
dropping temperatures and wet conditions.”
During testing, twelve brand new footballs were inflated to 12.5 PSI in a 75 degree Fahrenheit room.
This was to imitate the indoor conditions where the referees would have tested the footballs 2 hours
and 15 minutes before kickoff. The footballs were then moved to a 50 degree Fahrenheit environment
to simulate the temperatures that were experienced throughout the game. In addition, the footballs
were dampened to replicate the rainy conditions.
HeadSmart Labs found that on average the footballs dropped 1.1 PSI from the 25 degree temperature
change alone. The Lab also found that when the leather was wet, the ball dropped an additional 0.7
PSI. In combination, it was found that on average the footballs lost 1.8 PSI with a max of 1.95 PSI from
exposure to game day elements.

You kow how I know Bill is being 100% truthful and that this is all bull####? Because he stood in that podium and got hammered nationally for "spygate" and not once did he downplay the severity of the fines imposed or the process the NFL used. He went up there, owned up to it, got his integrity questioned and weathered the year long ####storm that came along with it. In his mind he obviously thought it was unfair that he was being punished this harshly for inconsequential bull#### that's rampant around the league, but he knew technically he was in the wrong, so he didn't fight it. The fact that he came on so strong today leaves no doubt in my mind the Pats had absolutely nothing to do with this.
Wait, so you offer to dissect the ### of a forum member, AND you are now blatantly fellating Belichick. Dude...get a room...you're getting way too excited.We get it, you think BB is a swell guy. Relax.
No no no. You don't get to convict someone with no real evidence, sully their legacy, rake them and their fans over the coals for a week, and then not expect a big comeuppance when the team comes back and ##### slaps everyone in the face.Relax my ###. You clowns spent all week on this BS. Pats fans are just getting started.
The only thing I want at this point is another SB title. None of this will mean anything to me either way. The only thing I learned from this whole thing is that Terry Bradshaw admitted to breaking the rules back in the day. Like it even mattered as the whole thing is a joke.

I hope some of these knobslobbers are ready to eat some crow: i'm talkng to you Aikman (spending too much time with Joe Buck), Brunell (what rock did he crawl out of), and Chris Mortenson and other sychophants at ESPN, among others.
Gotta say, Mort was just reporting.

You will never get any apologies from those guys. And they will be ready to pounce if there is another opportunity to stain the Pats. It's part of their job description.

Users who are viewing this thread