What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

PBS Frontline : The Retirement Gamble, sorta Must See (4 Viewers)

My retirement plan is just my 401K and to have some rental properties (that are owned fully). I have 2 rentals already (but they're not paid off for another 20 years...). 100K+ in the 401K. I assume I'll do okay in retirement. Owning things that generate a constant income stream is completely overlooked by most retirement professionals and I have no idea why.ETA: Currently 36
:thumbup:

Just remember to go back and read this thread when you start feeling beat down by the deadbeat, liar, impossible to contact, people you call tenants. (proud landlord here.)

Re: some of the comments in here about how people approaching retirement should be in bonds...it's certainly true that you should have a less volatile portfolio as you approach retirement, but it's not that simple anymore. People are living longer, even if you did a very good job saving for retirement, it's not easy to make those savings last 30 years if you're not getting some kind of capital gain.
When I retired, our portfolio was broken up into a 1/3 1/3 1/3 ratio1/3 in growth (all in IRA) 1/3 in balanced1/3 in safe bondsPart of the balance and all of the safe bonds are outside of retirement umbrella's and are used to help generate the income we live off of. It is a strategy that helps protect a bit against downturns in stocks, but also gives some exposure in case stocks go up.

My retirement plan is just my 401K and to have some rental properties (that are owned fully). I have 2 rentals already (but they're not paid off for another 20 years...). 100K+ in the 401K. I assume I'll do okay in retirement. Owning things that generate a constant income stream is completely overlooked by most retirement professionals and I have no idea why.ETA: Currently 36
:thumbup: Just remember to go back and read this thread when you start feeling beat down by the deadbeat, liar, impossible to contact, people you call tenants. (proud landlord here.)
Lol. I've had the same tenants for 5 years in one place, and the other place I've had 2 over that same strech. Haven't had any deadbeats yet thankfully.

:thumbup: Just remember to go back and read this thread when you start feeling beat down by the deadbeat, liar, impossible to contact, people you call tenants. (proud landlord here.)
Lol. I've had the same tenants for 5 years in one place, and the other place I've had 2 over that same strech. Haven't had any deadbeats yet thankfully.
I don't own any rental property but my Aunt who does goes put of her way to give good deals to good tenants in the hopes they stay longer. Do you take that approach or is it not worth it?

Sounds like we started about the same time. I've had plenty of deadbeats. One place with same tenant for about 4 years, a few places with tenants a little over a year. Most bail or fall behind before the lease is up.

I don't own any rental property but my Aunt who does goes put of her way to give good deals to good tenants in the hopes they stay longer. Do you take that approach or is it not worth it?
I sort of do. I have never raised rent on those who stay. I'm more willing to work with those who have been with me longer. My 4+ year guy is a tattoo artist who does very little business in the winter months, so he falls behind and catches up with his tax refund. I could easily rent his place for $50-$100 more per month.

Do you have the opportunity to work part time dentisting as you get older? Like 10-15 hours a week? Having some kind of profession that you could practice part time would be a huge advantage moving towards retirement, IMO.
That is what my dentist does. His practice is only open three days a week, and I think one of those days only office staff is working to schedule appointment, work on bills, etc. He's only there two days a week and vacations a heck of a lot. I don't know how old he is, he seems ageless, but I'm 39, and he stitched me up when I was 5 and had a tooth knocked out. He's been doing it forever.

I sort of do. I have never raised rent on those who stay. I'm more willing to work with those who have been with me longer. My 4+ year guy is a tattoo artist who does very little business in the winter months, so he falls behind and catches up with his tax refund. I could easily rent his place for $50-$100 more per month.
I only raise rent between tenants. I guess I might if the tenant was troublesome. But good tenants, they're still renting at 2008 rates.I also confirm employment and pretend to run a credit check on them.

I only raise rent between tenants. I guess I might if the tenant was troublesome. But good tenants, they're still renting at 2008 rates.I also confirm employment and pretend to run a credit check on them.
:brush: Me too!

My wife is a teacher with a defined-benefit pension. So we haven't been as worried about retirement as we otherwise would have. Of course, now with the way school districts, cities and states are trying to abolish these plans or change the rules on how you contribute in the middle of the game, I'm worried that we're not going to end up getting what she was promised.

That has put a little more focus on our other retirement savings and trying to beef that up. We're 40, so we've got some time. But if they end up screwing us on her pension someday, we're... well... screwed.

My wife is a teacher with a defined-benefit pension. So we haven't been as worried about retirement as we otherwise would have. Of course, now with the way school districts, cities and states are trying to abolish these plans or change the rules on how you contribute in the middle of the game, I'm worried that we're not going to end up getting what she was promised.

That has put a little more focus on our other retirement savings and trying to beef that up. We're 40, so we've got some time. But if they end up screwing us on her pension someday, we're... well... screwed.
This should be a very real concern. Pension funds are severely underfunded and Wall Street is extracting enormous fees from them to deliver below market returns.

What state are you in?

I have a defined benefit pension, but the people in charge of our company complain about how expensive it is (well, they're right it is). The rumor mill always churns about how it will be frozen at some point/shifted to the 401k plan (e.g., double the match, but put the burden on the employee to "earn it" and minimize the pension obligation on the balance sheet).

I'm riding the wave until it crashes and beefing up my other accounts where I can, as very few companies even have a pension anymore. I'll be happy getting anything really out of it, and I view social security as a tax I'll never see a benefit from (I'm 29) to remain conservative/focused on saving aggressively.

Defined pension plans are going to get raped in the next 20 years. What's the best case for bond yields? 5%? Take the AUM fees out of that and you can't even dream of seeing 2.5% return on fixed.

Then you can envision people taking more risk, plowing into equities and emerging and BOOM. Chickens, roost, etc.

I don't know about others, but we just plan on anything we get from retirement to be a bonus (401Ks, pensions, etc.). And maybe that's enough but I'm not going to pin my future on it. We'll make our own money.

The loss of pension is a concern for a lot of people. My wife's situation is unique. She's been with the Post Office for 30 years. (6 years as a part time sub, 24 years as a Rural Carrier) She's still 10 years away from minimum retirement age. So, she will have 40 years of service in with the USPS and we worry about the changes that could happen in the next decade.

Luckily, her retirement benefits are comprised of 3 different things. Social Security (maybe), TSP (gov't run 401k), FERS retirement benefit (pension)

I would hope that any changes that could be made won't effect her. Or at least she would be grandfathered in due to her tenure. But, who knows if the Post Office will still be operating much longer.

Defined pension plans are going to get raped in the next 20 years. What's the best case for bond yields? 5%? Take the AUM fees out of that and you can't even dream of seeing 2.5% return on fixed.

Then you can envision people taking more risk, plowing into equities and emerging and BOOM. Chickens, roost, etc.
Thing is, a lot of these pension plans have gone the alternative investment route to make their statutory returns. It isn't helping them though, they are being eaten alive by really high fees while getting stuck in investment vehicles that they don't understand and still underperform the market. There seem to be a lot of kickbacks in that industry to convince pension managers to take giant risks they can't evaluate and nobody does due dilligence on...

I don't know about others, but we just plan on anything we get from retirement to be a bonus (401Ks, pensions, etc.). And maybe that's enough but I'm not going to pin my future on it. We'll make our own money.
You posted this twice.

A 401k is your money. Why wouldn't you plan to have your own money in retirement?

(HULK), on 24 Apr 2013 - 14:30, said:My retirement plan is just my 401K and to have some rental properties (that are owned fully). I have 2 rentals already (but they're not paid off for another 20 years...). 100K+ in the 401K. I assume I'll do okay in retirement. Owning things that generate a constant income stream is completely overlooked by most retirement professionals and I have no idea why.ETA: Currently 36
Nice. I have the same amount in my 401k.I just bought a shortsale (about $50K instant equity), but would like to get a rental in a a couple of years as I agree with you. First plan is to pay off student loans.... :bag:ETA: Currently 33Can't believe that some people are paying 2% fees....that is ridiculous.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pick said:
We see anything we get out of retirement as a bonus (401K, pensions, etc.). I'm not going to rely solely on that stuff.
don't rely solely on it, but your 401k is your money, deferred.. it's not a bonus, it's a nest egg!

This should be a very real concern. Pension funds are severely underfunded and Wall Street is extracting enormous fees from them to deliver below market returns.

What state are you in?

We're in Minnesota. They, like everywhere, have to provide the sustainability reports or whatever every year and it's still in good shape. But what I see happening is the district or the state basically saying they're going to cut money to schools, and then the domino effect will lead to teachers having to take significantly more out of their checks to make up the difference or agree to take less at the end.

I think that is just morally wrong. My wife and all teachers went into this profession at least in part because of the benefits that being a teacher provides. The pay itself might not be that great, but when you factored in job security, health benefits and the retirement pension, there is a real value on those things. And now they're being taken away more and every year. Just found out our healthcare costs are going up 50 percent next year. Even with small "raises," she's taking home less and less.

If they start going for the pensions, it will be bloody.

I think the only thing these states and districts should be able to do is change the rules for those just about to enter the profession. You can't take away all the money now that we've been counting on for 20 years. That's different than the market crashing or something. There's not supposed to be risk here - that's why they call it a defined benefit.

You posted this twice.

A 401k is your money. Why wouldn't you plan to have your own money in retirement?
I agree. I am not sure I understand his thought process. Maybe he feels the market is such a crap shoot that there is a likelihood that there will be nothing left when he retires?

If one wants to consider something like Social Security a bonus at retirement and not factor that in when planning, then that makes some sense to me.

You posted this twice. A 401k is your money. Why wouldn't you plan to have your own money in retirement?
Sorry for posting twice. I lose track.What I mean by 401K is plans in general where the gov is setting up your retirement for you.

You posted this twice.

I agree. I am not sure I understand his thought process. Maybe he feels the market is such a crap shoot that there is a likelihood that there will be nothing left when he retires?

If one wants to consider something like Social Security a bonus at retirement and not factor that in when planning, then that makes some sense to me.
Exactly.

That said... maybe I'm naive but I can't imagine completely losing social security. If SS "dies", there will be some kind of payout. Just the way this country works. Nothing completely disappears.

Alright so help educate the ignorant. I recently graduated and started working in November. My fiancee doesn't work, just stays home with the kid. I have a decent income, started out at 50k, living in a relatively cheap location. Still have school debt, but that's it. No car payments etc.

I currently contribute 5% to my 401k, and company matches 4% on that. They match the full 3%, then 1/2 a % on the next 2. If that makes sense. From my understanding, and I could be completely wrong, but it's how it was described to me, is that they started matching from the day I began contributing, but I only keep it if I stay with the company for 3 years.

(On a side note, what happens to the $ if I leave after 2 years? I know I keep what I put in, but what about what they matched? Back into a pool to match on others?)

We also are putting $50 from each check, which works out to be 1300, into a savings account to pay for kids school. Which probably isn't enough to cover it all, but coming from someone who had to pay entirely for school myself, 24k would have been a huge help. Any better options for this? Or just keep the direct deposit going into a savings account?

Considering I'm 27 now, just continue putting into the 401k? Is there another option I should be looking into? Should I up the % even though the company isn't matching? Any good and insightful reads on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

You posted this twice.

Thank you for putting that better for me. Yes, essentially playing it safe not depending on the stock market or the government for retirement.

We also are putting $50 from each check, which works out to be 1300, into a savings account to pay for kids school. Which probably isn't enough to cover it all, but coming from someone who had to pay entirely for school myself, 24k would have been a huge help. Any better options for this? Or just keep the direct deposit going into a savings account.
You should look into a 529 Plan.

http://www.savingforcollege.com/intro_to_529s/what-is-a-529-plan.php

You posted this twice.

Thank you for putting that better for me. Yes, essentially playing it safe not depending on the stock market or the government for retirement.
Good luck.

Without stock market returns you would either have to hope for zero inflation (lol), or have done some amazing personal investing in other things like land, real estate, etc. to even have a shot of retiring ever unless you can build up enough of a cash supply to live on and don't live too long.

You posted this twice.

Exactly.

That said... maybe I'm naive but I can't imagine completely losing social security. If SS "dies", there will be some kind of payout. Just the way this country works. Nothing completely disappears.
yeah, I don't think SS will ever really disappear at least in our lifetime.

The age you can start taking out will likely get older (as it should with people living longer) and the amount you get might be a bit smaller but most people will still receive some sort of SS.

Still probably best considering how small SS is to not bother using it in your retirement calculations and just enjoying it as a bonus when it does come.

You posted this twice. A 401k is your money. Why wouldn't you plan to have your own money in retirement?
Sorry for posting twice. I lose track.What I mean by 401K is plans in general where the gov is setting up your retirement for you.
The government really isn't setting up your retirement via a 401k. They don't fund a 401k, you fund the 401k and your company (hopefully) funds it.

Retirement planning is a waste. That's what Social Security is for. Should be fine just living off of that.

Alright so help educate the ignorant. I recently graduated and started working in November. My fiancee doesn't work, just stays home with the kid. I have a decent income, started out at 50k, living in a relatively cheap location. Still have school debt, but that's it. No car payments etc.

I currently contribute 5% to my 401k, and company matches 4% on that. They match the full 3%, then 1/2 a % on the next 2. If that makes sense. From my understanding, and I could be completely wrong, but it's how it was described to me, is that they started matching from the day I began contributing, but I only keep it if I stay with the company for 3 years.

(On a side note, what happens to the $ if I leave after 2 years? I know I keep what I put in, but what about what they matched? Back into a pool to match on others?)

We also are putting $50 from each check, which works out to be 1300, into a savings account to pay for kids school. Which probably isn't enough to cover it all, but coming from someone who had to pay entirely for school myself, 24k would have been a huge help. Any better options for this? Or just keep the direct deposit going into a savings account?

Considering I'm 27 now, just continue putting into the 401k? Is there another option I should be looking into? Should I up the % even though the company isn't matching? Any good and insightful reads on this subject would be greatly appreciated.
As painful as it may be I'd save as much as you possibly can in the 401k, you're young, get that thing rolling. I'm 35 and it's crazy how it starts multiplying. I started my 401k when I got out of college at 22 and during my 20's I had a decent job, made ok money but all of a sudden I'm 35 and it's a nice chunk of money.

They get the money back. As to what they do with it - hookers and blow?

For the 401k question you really need to find out what the fees are. You are already claiming all the free money you can get (which is good!). If the fees are high you can start up an IRA and dump money in there with lower fee ETFs (almost always lower fee than mutual funds, though mutual fund offerings are quite good these days). This requires some management, so if you're not dedicated it may be easier/better to keep it all in the same place.

You posted this twice.

Good luck.

Without stock market returns you would either have to hope for zero inflation (lol), or have done some amazing personal investing in other things like land, real estate, etc. to even have a shot of retiring ever unless you can build up enough of a cash supply to live on and don't live too long.
We are landlords but aren't banking on that either. The second option you mentioned with cash is our route. We'll be there in five years if I remember the numbers right. No luck needed.

The government really isn't setting up your retirement via a 401k. They don't fund a 401k, you fund the 401k and your company (hopefully) funds it.
Right, but isn't it required?

I don't understand the question.

You don't have to use a 401k if you don't want to. It is there for your benefit, not as a requirement. You would be nuts not to use it if your company has any sort of match because it is free money even if the investment choices are meh.

But if you really hate your 401k and there is no match, you could always open up an IRA.

You posted this twice.

Good luck.

We are landlords but aren't banking on that either. The second option you mentioned with cash is our route. We'll be there in five years if I remember the numbers right. No luck needed.
:thumbup:

You don't have to use a 401k if you don't want to. It is there for your benefit, not as a requirement. You would be nuts not to use it if your company has any sort of match because it is free money even if the investment choices are meh.

But if you really hate your 401k and there is no match, you could always open up an IRA.
Ya, we max that out but I always thought it was required to put money into retirement. Maybe I'm thinking of SS. Sorry, my wife does all the thinking on this stuff.

This will depend on your plan's vesting policy. If you're really interested, dig up your 401k plan summary (your HR should've provided you with one when you became eligible) and see what it says about vesting.

Ya, we max that out but I always thought it was required to put money into retirement. Maybe I'm thinking of SS. Sorry, my wife does all the thinking on this stuff.
401k is not required. You make that choice yourself whether to add money or not to the plan.

For Social Security it is required and is automatically taken out of your check.

My priority list would be as follows:

1. You must keep contributing that 5% to 410(k) to get the free money from your employer. Ask HR what happens if you leave <3 years.

2. Fund Roth IRA as much as you can instead of putting into kids school savings account (maximum is $5.5k for individual in 2013). You can pull the principle without penalty anytime from a Roth, so it is a savings account, but with a huge tax break on earnings (i.e., you can pull your principle contributions for college tuiton expenses, and let your earnings stay in the Roth and continue to grow). As your income rises, you will be costed out of being able to fund the Roth IRA, so now is a good time. 529 plans and other savings vehicles have some limitations that I didn't like. Fidelity and Vanguard are both good options (I went with Fidelity). Takes 15 minutes online to set it up.

3. If you still have extra, fund the remainder of the 401(k) up to the max ($17.5k for individual).

4. If you still have extra, then would be the time to look into 529 and other college savings plans. My personal thoughts are towards real estate investment over a 529 plan. Last time I checked, they aren't making more land.

All the savings plans in the world don't help unless your investment choices are appropriate for your situation. Don't just fund these plans and forget about them, learn how to actively manage your investments!

It is really scary to me at the amount of people in this country who have not saved a thing. Striving to save 10% of salary should be the bare minimum.

I strongly encourage anyone who has questions about saving for retirement to buy this book.

The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing

This book completely changed the way I looked at investing and saving for retirement.

I am a state employee and have a defined benefit plan, but don't factor that at all in my retirement planning. If I continue working for the state until 62, I would get approximately 35 % of my salary.I don't plan on working until I am 62, and don't plan on being a state employee for more than five more years.

I max my Roth and 457 (deferred comp) plan, Asset Allocation is 75 % stocks and 25% bonds (I am 35 and Jack Bogle suggests holding your age in bonds. I am a little more aggressive). All of my stocks and bonds are low cost index funds.

I cannot stand the argument some people make about spending money while you can enjoy it. Yes, that is true, you should find a balance, but you need to save. Sacrifice in some areas, so that you can have fun as well as save. I have cut my cable and land line phone which saves me about 1500 a year. That is a nice trip to Vegas, for me. I also resist the temptation to upgrade everything, especially my residence. I still live in the same 800 square foot condo I bought when I got my first job out of law school. Mortgage should be paid off within 2 years.

I have made a ton of mistakes (Lexus IS 250 comes to mind), but I have learned a lot from them. I will drive that car until the wheels fall off, for example.

It boggles my mind all high schools do not have a financial lit class.

I was going over my wife's retirement plan. She works at a school with average income of 60k. With the min required to match 4%+4% match an 8% savings rate for 30 years won't even sniff enough money to retire on.

Then you have 50% of people that contribute 0 into any plan at all.

You want to talk about a financial crisis? This is it. You will have people that have made 100k-200k at the poverty level 10 years into retirement.
That is their own damn fault.
Whoa - is it those people's fault that scrimped and saved, invested wisely/conservatively, retire - and then the market goes to sheet again. What is your take on that situation?

I was going over my wife's retirement plan. She works at a school with average income of 60k. With the min required to match 4%+4% match an 8% savings rate for 30 years won't even sniff enough money to retire on. Then you have 50% of people that contribute 0 into any plan at all. You want to talk about a financial crisis? This is it. You will have people that have made 100k-200k at the poverty level 10 years into retirement.
That is their own damn fault.
Whoa - is it those people's fault that scrimped and saved, invested wisely/conservatively, retire - and then the market goes to sheet again. What is your take on that situation?
I don't understand how someone who invested conservatively and wisely would be devastated by a market crash if they simply stay the course and don't panic. Withdrawing 4 % of the nest egg per year should ensure the $$$ lasts a long time. People near retirement should be lowering their exposure to equities, to better weather those huge dips when they happen.

Withdrawing 4 % of the nest egg per year should ensure the $$$ lasts a long time. People near retirement should be lowering their exposure to equities, to better weather those huge dips when they happen.
Many retirees now consider the old 4% rule to be slightly aggressive as healthy people are living longer and longer now. 3.5% is a more conservative number to use. We are running at ~2.25% right now but expect that to go up in later years a bit.

inca911 said:
Spin said:

My priority list would be as follows:

1. You must keep contributing that 5% to 410(k) to get the free money from your employer. Ask HR what happens if you leave <3 years.

2. Fund Roth IRA as much as you can instead of putting into kids school savings account (maximum is $5.5k for individual in 2013). You can pull the principle without penalty anytime from a Roth, so it is a savings account, but with a huge tax break on earnings (i.e., you can pull your principle contributions for college tuiton expenses, and let your earnings stay in the Roth and continue to grow). As your income rises, you will be costed out of being able to fund the Roth IRA, so now is a good time. 529 plans and other savings vehicles have some limitations that I didn't like. Fidelity and Vanguard are both good options (I went with Fidelity). Takes 15 minutes online to set it up.

3. If you still have extra, fund the remainder of the 401(k) up to the max ($17.5k for individual).

4. If you still have extra, then would be the time to look into 529 and other college savings plans. My personal thoughts are towards real estate investment over a 529 plan. Last time I checked, they aren't making more land.

All the savings plans in the world don't help unless your investment choices are appropriate for your situation. Don't just fund these plans and forget about them, learn how to actively manage your investments!
:thumbup: :thumbup:

Withdrawing 4 % of the nest egg per year should ensure the $$$ lasts a long time. People near retirement should be lowering their exposure to equities, to better weather those huge dips when they happen.
Many retirees now consider the old 4% rule to be slightly aggressive as healthy people are living longer and longer now. 3.5% is a more conservative number to use.We are running at ~2.25% right now but expect that to go up in later years a bit.
aren't you most likely generating at least 2.25% on your money right now (i hope) so in reality you're not drawing down at all, just living off what the nest egg generates?

??? So you are going to work until you drop?

Many retirees now consider the old 4% rule to be slightly aggressive as healthy people are living longer and longer now. 3.5% is a more conservative number to use.We are running at ~2.25% right now but expect that to go up in later years a bit.
aren't you most likely generating at least 2.25% on your money right now (i hope) so in reality you're not drawing down at all, just living off what the nest egg generates?
I think you are forgetting an important point, inflation...

??? So you are going to work until you drop?
He is a landlord. That will be an excellent source of income for his family. He already stated he hopes to retire in 5 years.

Yes. With the market doing better, we are actually much better off today than when we retired back in 2010. If we keep our expenses down in our first phase of retirement (until daughter graduates college and is settled on her own), we should enjoy a very nice second phase of retirement in which we intend to travel some.

Users who are viewing this thread