What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Pitcher Jason Grimsley Provides Feds (1 Viewer)

David Yudkin

Footballguy
LINK

They were talking about this on Mike & Mike. He apparently has named names.

This part was a bit troubling for me:

He added that amphetamine use was prevalent in pro baseball, and that it was placed in coffee in clubhouses, marked "leaded" or "unleaded."
At this point, it's starting to look like the question should not be who was juiced but who WASN'T juiced.

I couldn't even believe he was still pitching. I remember when he came up with the Phillies 100 years ago and was horrible then.

I couldn't even believe he was still pitching. I remember when he came up with the Phillies 100 years ago and was horrible then.
That's part of what is potentially damning for baseball. He's been on 7 teams in 17 years in the league and could have a long list of attrocities he's witnessed to report on to the feds.

This is the same sport that glorifies spitball pitchers. This is the same sport where Albert Belle gets in trouble for a corked bat, and a teammate crawls up above the ceiling tiles to drop into the "secure" room to steal the evidence, and everyone laughs about it.

Why in the world would you be shocked by a report like this? Society has condoned this sort of behavior. And yes, there is no difference between performance-enchancing drug usage and these other items. Once you've broken down the rule the law, chaos reigns.

LINK

He added that amphetamine use was prevalent in pro baseball, and that it was placed in coffee in clubhouses, marked "leaded" or "unleaded."
At this point, it's starting to look like the question should not be who was juiced but who WASN'T juiced.
This was a topic on the "Sports Reporters" a few month back and they said the coffee stuff and some of the other stuff was a reach. I think Lupica was saying he had a few coffees in a major league clubhouse in his time and thought the accusation was ridiculous. There is no doubt players playing 162 games in six months are going to be more inclined to use things like amphetamines but I think there is a line between fact and fiction and Grimsley wants to profit from this discussion. I'm sure some of what he says is spot on but I take most of this with a grain of salt.

LINK

They were talking about this on Mike & Mike.  He apparently has named names.

This was a topic on the "Sports Reporters" a few month back and they said the coffee stuff and some of the other stuff was a reach. I think Lupica was saying he had a few coffees in a major league clubhouse in his time and thought the accusation was ridiculous. There is no doubt players playing 162 games in six months are going to be more inclined to use things like amphetamines but I think there is a line between fact and fiction and Grimsley wants to profit from this discussion. I'm sure some of what he says is spot on but I take most of this with a grain of salt.
What are you saying?

Grimsley wants to profit from this discussion.
PROFIT? Grimsley just had his house raided by the government and I believe had already been indicted. If I read/heard right, he tried cutting a deal to avoid suspension and/or jail time. I have not see him "sell" anything that would net him a profit. From the discussion on Mike & Mike this morning, this was a protect your own ### situation to avoid serious consequences.What incentive does Grimsley have to fabricate information? As others have already mentioned, he's been a journeyman pitcher that wasn't very good for countless seasons. The other thing was that allegedly there are countless guys taking HGH, which apparently there are fewer rules or testing procedures for.Another topic for discussion on Mike & Mike is that if baseball has been doing this stuff for years football likely has the same things going on (if not greater), yet no one seems to be looking into as much as baseball.As fans, do we just not care anymore as to who has been juicing and who hasn't (and what sports it's rampant in)?

Albert Belle gets in trouble for a corked bat, and a teammate crawls up above the ceiling tiles to drop into the "secure" room to steal the evidence, and everyone laughs about it.
If I'm not mistaken, wasn't it Jason Grimsley that did the crawling to get the bat?

From Day 1 my stance on this whole thing was:- A LOT of MLB take / took Steroids, HGH and who knows what. A LOT!!!! Pitchers too!!!!

- If you can't Asterisk each and every one of them then you can't asterisk ANY.

- MLB let it get out of hand and had no program or rules in place

- NOW MLB has rules in place

- Play on... Stop terrorizing Barry and his family and play on - Whoever gets caught NOW that rules are in place should be dealt with but, the past is the past.

- Baseball has always been a sport of opinions, asteriks and Changes - including smaller parks, juiced balls, $$$$, mound changes and all kinds of "Cheating Talk" - THIS is just another.....

- MLB brought this upon itself - Barry takes the heat while the bigwigs at MBL run and hide.... Between this and No Salary cap, Shame on MLB...

My intrgiue was more based on the fact that fans and leagues seem not all that concerned whether players are using or not. If half of any pro league (baseball, football, basketball) was using, I would have thought that that would be something fans, the leagues, and the media wanted to weed out.

Unless your name is Bonds, it doesn't seem to be the case. And I do agree that they should leave Barry alone and try to fix the system for the future, but even that seems like their hearts aren't fully in it.

Albert Belle gets in trouble for a corked bat, and a teammate crawls up above the ceiling tiles to drop into the "secure" room to steal the evidence, and everyone laughs about it.
If I'm not mistaken, wasn't it Jason Grimsley that did the crawling to get the bat?
:waitsforposty:

This is the same sport that glorifies spitball pitchers.
Not in the past 20 years it hasn't, and even then there were only a couple spitballers who were "glorified".
This is the same sport where Albert Belle gets in trouble for a corked bat, and a teammate crawls up above the ceiling tiles to drop into the "secure" room to steal the evidence, and everyone laughs about it.
And here I think you're exaggerating to try to prove your point. "Everyone" laughed about it? Hardly. Belle lost a lot of credibility over that incident, and it's part of the reason why he's not going to make the HOF.
Society has condoned this sort of behavior.  And yes, there is no difference between performance-enchancing drug usage and these other items.  Once you've broken down the rule the law, chaos reigns.
Now this is just ludicrious.You don't think there's a difference between a felony and a misdemeanor? :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep

Not in the past 20 years it hasn't, and even then there were only a couple spitballers who were "glorified".
This is the same sport where Albert Belle gets in trouble for a corked bat, and a teammate crawls up above the ceiling tiles to drop into the "secure" room to steal the evidence, and everyone laughs about it.
And here I think you're exaggerating to try to prove your point. "Everyone" laughed about it? Hardly. Belle lost a lot of credibility over that incident, and it's part of the reason why he's not going to make the HOF.
Society has condoned this sort of behavior.  And yes, there is no difference between performance-enchancing drug usage and these other items.  Once you've broken down the rule the law, chaos reigns.
Now this is just ludicrious.You don't think there's a difference between a felony and a misdemeanor? :rolleyes:
Tell me what the difference is in the baseball world. If one player catches another corking his bat, does he turn them in? No. If one player catches another doing illegal drugs, does he turn them in? No. In fact, all of this sort of stuff is blatantly out there in the open and no-one cares to the point where they've got unleaded and leaded signs in clubhouses.

Tell me what the difference is in the baseball world.
Corking and spitballing are infractions that can be caught on the field, and which have no impact on the outside world. (i.e., you can't get arrested for corking your bat). The so-called "rule of law" has NOT been broken down, because baseball has largely been able to quash the cheaters.Amphetamines and steroids are illegal drugs, which DO have an impact on the outside world. So, drug cheaters are violating much more serious laws than simple baseball infractions.

Baseball has a built-in defense to catch on-field cheaters (i.e., the umpire). But there is no such defense against drug cheats. And that's what makes it so much worse than corking your bat.

What incentive does Grimsley have to fabricate information? As others have already mentioned, he's been a journeyman pitcher that wasn't very good for countless seasons.
What does the first sentence have to do with the second? Is his ability to publish a tell-all book on the subject that is consistent with his testimony not ample incentive to embellish if it will sell books?

Another topic for discussion on Mike & Mike is that if baseball has been doing this stuff for years football likely has the same things going on (if not greater), yet no one seems to be looking into as much as baseball.
I've been trying to question this for a while now. It doesn't get much support here. All I get are guys telling me how the NFL is clean and how good their drug policy is.

Another topic for discussion on Mike & Mike is that if baseball has been doing this stuff for years football likely has the same things going on (if not greater), yet no one seems to be looking into as much as baseball.
I've been trying to question this for a while now. It doesn't get much support here. All I get are guys telling me how the NFL is clean and how good their drug policy is.
It's no different than any other sport. People are going to stop taking the things they know they're being tested for. They're going to take the things that aren't being tested. Things like HGH, since nobody is drawing blood to run these tests. There's not much doubt about it.

From Day 1 my stance on this whole thing was:- A LOT of MLB take / took Steroids, HGH and who knows what. A LOT!!!! Pitchers too!!!!

- Play on... Stop terrorizing Barry and his family and play on - Whoever gets caught NOW that rules are in place should be dealt with but, the past is the past.

- Baseball has always been a sport of opinions, asteriks and Changes - including smaller parks, juiced balls, $$$$, mound changes and all kinds of "Cheating Talk" - THIS is just another.....

- MLB brought this upon itself - Barry takes the heat while the bigwigs at MBL run and hide.... Between this and No Salary cap, Shame on MLB...
DUDE - you are reading my mind.

It's no different than any other sport. People are going to stop taking the things they know they're being tested for. They're going to take the things that aren't being tested. Things like HGH, since nobody is drawing blood to run these tests. There's not much doubt about it.
Take a good look at Thomas Jones, the NFL is as clean as the floor in my bathroom.

Take a good look at Thomas Jones, the NFL is as clean as the floor in my bathroom.
I'm pretty sure that's what I was saying, ya' lazy no-bathroom-cleaning ####.

I couldn't even believe he was still pitching.  I remember when he came up with the Phillies 100 years ago and was horrible then.
That's part of what is potentially damning for baseball. He's been on 7 teams in 17 years in the league and could have a long list of attrocities he's witnessed to report on to the feds.
:shock:Whoa, I've been out of the baseball loop more than I thought! He now plays for the Dbacks, yet this is the first I've ever heard of him. I used to play fantasy baseball too. :no:

Exactly. And I've said all along that MLB is under more scrutiny because guys hitting 70+ HR is a helluva a lot more noticeable than two fat lineman shoving each other up and down the field.

Exactly. And I've said all along that MLB is under more scrutiny because guys hitting 70+ HR is a helluva a lot more noticeable than two fat lineman shoving each other up and down the field.
I think it has more to do with them not having a steroid testing policy until recently, and that their 1st go at it was a joke. Then a lot of people who werent even juicers at first glance popped up positive and then a HOF player who wagged his finger at congress as well. Note that all major sports had to attend the congressional hearings, but it was baseball who drew their wrath for being about 50 years behind.

Last edited by a moderator:
So at which point does using steroids (or whatever) go from "cheating" to doing what it takes to keep up with your peers? And at what point do we believe Mike Schmidt is speaking more honestly for previous era's players then those being all "holier than thou".
Let me go out on a limb and say that if I had played during that era I would have taken steroids... We all have these things we deal with in life, and I'm surely not going to sit here and say to you guys, "I wouldn't have done that."

So at which point does using steroids (or whatever) go from "cheating" to doing what it takes to keep up with your peers? And at what point do we believe Mike Schmidt is speaking more honestly for previous era's players then those being all "holier than thou".
Let me go out on a limb and say that if I had played during that era I would have taken steroids... We all have these things we deal with in life, and I'm surely not going to sit here and say to you guys, "I wouldn't have done that."
Bob Gibson said the same thing essentially on the Bob Costas roids special.

http://web.mit.edu/seed/images/John%20Pope/Dorothy%2064.jpgGood Posting

With #'s like Grim's... no way he was juicing, right? Or he just all around blows at stick ball.
He blew chunks, but he did improve in nearly every facet:1989-1996

ERA 5.38

WHIP 1.67

K/9 5.98

1999-2006

ERA 4.21

WHIP 1.45

K/9 6.13

LINK

They were talking about this on Mike & Mike.  He apparently has named names.

This isn't a case of Jose Canseco trying to make a buck...this is a affidavit from Grimsley's arrest; that's been leaked. He has no ulterior motive (although now that he's under arrest he may subsequently decide to capitalize on his misfortune).The real issue isn't amphetamines per se, but the HGH issue. Grimsley admitted to using HGH exclusively of late (i.e., since they started testing for other stuff) which leads one to the obvious conclusion that tons of dudes are still abusing the system, only with HGH which is undetectable.

As a guy that continues to think Bonds gets a raw deal, I'm glad this story has broken. Unless we're going to asterisk the entirety of the last 15 years, we need to come to grips with baseball still being a game of relative achievement in your era.

It's interesting to me just how obsessed the feds are with cleaning baseball up -- they have absolutely bent the player's union and the commish's office over a log here.

Bud Selig has to be crying right now. This is going to be horrible for the league.

LINK

This isn't a case of Jose Canseco trying to make a buck...this is a affidavit from Grimsley's arrest; that's been leaked. He has no ulterior motive (although now that he's under arrest he may subsequently decide to capitalize on his misfortune).The real issue isn't amphetamines per se, but the HGH issue. Grimsley admitted to using HGH exclusively of late (i.e., since they started testing for other stuff) which leads one to the obvious conclusion that tons of dudes are still abusing the system, only with HGH which is undetectable.

As a guy that continues to think Bonds gets a raw deal, I'm glad this story has broken. Unless we're going to asterisk the entirety of the last 15 years, we need to come to grips with baseball still being a game of relative achievement in your era.
The other thing too--and this is what bothers me most--is that the more that the minority become the majority in terms of using harmful, dangerous, illegal stuff, the more pressure it puts on clean players to sacrifice their integrity and their health to keep up with the users. If it's illegal and you're serious about getting it out of the game, you've got to be serious about testing. MLB is only 1/2 serious (or, more appropriately, the MLBPA is only 1/2 serious). But, today is a good day if you believe that public pressure can move policy within the league. If that doesn't happen, I'm quite certain congress will intervene.

He blew chunks, but he did improve in nearly every facet:

1999-2006

ERA 4.21

WHIP 1.45

K/9 6.13
Not great, but that's not blowing chunks. He made a useful 10th guy in the pen.

It's interesting to me just how obsessed the feds are with cleaning baseball up -- they have absolutely bent the player's union and the commish's office over a log here.

Bud Selig has to be crying right now. This is going to be horrible for the league.
Actually, the feds have been interested in the drug traffic trade for quite a while. Nowitsky and the IRS have unveiled a gold mine of a lead with BALCO, US Track and Field, and MLB. Hey, like any accounts rep, if I find a good lead, I saturate that baby 'till it runs dry.

1999-2006

ERA 4.21

WHIP 1.45

K/9 6.13
Oh, it's totally mediocre. But, the obvious inference to be made is that steroids helped him go from awful-->serviceable.

1999-2006

ERA 4.21

WHIP 1.45

K/9  6.13
Oh, it's totally mediocre. But, the obvious inference to be made is that steroids helped him go from awful-->serviceable out of baseball to having a career in baseball as a journeyman pitcher.
Fixed.

Just remember who busted this loser the first time. Chicago White Sox security.

F'n loser.

I can't wait to see who gets implicated in this....

I'll throw a couple of names out there: Jim Edmonds and Carlos Beltran

Just remember who busted this loser the first time. Chicago White Sox security.

F'n loser.

I can't wait to see who gets implicated in this....

I'll throw a couple of names out there: Jim Edmonds and Carlos Beltran
Don't forget Jim Thome and Konerko too. :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread