What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Point spread history of the Super Bowl (1 Viewer)

Raider Nation

Devil's Advocate
SUPER BOWL POINT SPREADS AND RESULTS

Pretty sharp bookmaking over the last 40 years. Many people think you blindly bet the chalk in the big game, but favorites are only 19-17-3 against the number.

However, dogs of 4 points or less are 7-4-1 against the spread, with all seven teams winning the game outright. Seattle is currently +4 in many places.

The winning Super Bowl team has also covered the spread 32 of 36 times, with 3 pushes. Interestingly, two of the four non-covers by winning teams happened in the past two Super Bowls. New England failed to cover as a 7 point favorite against Philadelphia last year, and the Pats failed to cover as a 7 point favorite against Carolina two years ago.

:shrug:

I 'd like to know if a lower seeded team was ever favored before, and what that record stands at thru 39 games.

I count 5 winners that didn't cover:

39 NE

38 NE

30 DAL

23 SF

10 PIT
Good catch. Know why I missed one?Because they made a mistake in Super Bowl XXX and I got lazy and didn't read the scores... just the ATS result. They have Dallas as a 13.5 point favorite, AND they have Dallas covering, yet they only won by 10. Check it out for yourself in the link.

As such, the winning Super Bowl team has also covered 31 of 36 times with 3 pushes.

I count 5 winners that didn't cover:

39 NE

38 NE

30 DAL

23 SF

10 PIT
5 out of 39 winners didn't cover??? 87.2% of winners do cover???Wow. Just, wow!
:yes: That's why the one TRUE statement you always hear about betting the Super Bowl is that if you simply pick the winner, more than likely you will also cash your ticket.

:thumbup:

How about point differentials? That is, the difference between their points scored and allowed.

Teams with a superior point differential have won 16 of the last 18 super bowls. The two upset winners were coached by Bill Belichick (1990 Giants, 2001 Rams).

2005 Seahawks: +181

2005 Steelers: +131

How about point differentials? That is, the difference between their points scored and allowed.

Teams with a superior point differential have won 16 of the last 18 super bowls. The two upset winners were coached by Bill Belichick (1990 Giants, 2001 Rams).

Niiiiice stat! :thumbup:

Guess that'll happen when you play the Rams twice.

Teams with a superior point differential have won 16 of the last 18 super bowls.  The two upset winners were coached by Bill Belichick (1990 Giants, 2001 Rams).

2005 Steelers:  +131
And the NinersAnd the Cardinals.

Please add in 1 week break or two.I have usually found that the one week break results in a closer game.

Teams with a superior point differential have won 16 of the last 18 super bowls.  The two upset winners were coached by Bill Belichick (1990 Giants, 2001 Rams).

2005 Steelers:  +131
And the NinersAnd the Cardinals.
And a 42 point win against an Eagles team without it's QB and only decent WR.They were +79 in that game and their home game against the 49ers.

Point differential has as much to do with style of offense and difficulty of schedule as anything else.

Users who are viewing this thread