What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Post-Combine Mock (1 Viewer)

Bob Magaw

Footballguy
by charles robinson of yahoo nfl... includes highlights of leinert & VY, as well as bush & deangelo... i saw some video of williams i hadn't seen before... he flashed some serious quicks... im coming around to grading williams ahead of white... use link to see highlights...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AqHH...=yhoo&type=lgns

Mock draft makeover

By Charles Robinson, Yahoo! Sports

March 1, 2006

Let the shuffling begin.

Vince Young is in silver and black, LenDale White is providing some thunder in the Arizona backfield and Vernon Davis is stepping into an already crowded St. Louis passing attack.

With the NFL's scouting combine in the books, the mock draft has been treated to a massive tune-up. This one reflects the drills, interviews and, of course, the skipped workouts that took place in Indianapolis over the last six days.

With free agency looming, the liquid nature of rosters means this landscape will be changing again in a few weeks. But for now, here are the adjustments made in the second installment of the mock draft.

1. Houston Texans – Reggie Bush, RB, USC. It's too bad Bush didn't run in Indianapolis on what was clearly a fast track. Don't rule out a trade here. The Texans are enamored with a handful of other players, too (D'Brickashaw Ferguson, for one).

2. New Orleans Saints – Matt Leinart, QB, USC. Vince Young isn't the only one who should be worrying about Jay Cutler. The Saints were impressed with Cutler, and after skipping the combine workouts, Leinart can't afford to have a bad performance on his pro day.

3. Tennessee Titans – Jay Cutler, QB, Vanderbilt. Word around the combine was that Norm Chow wasn't sold on Vince Young's ability to run his offense. Meanwhile, Cutler did nothing but convince some personnel people that he might be the best pocket quarterback in this draft.

4. New York Jets – D'Brickashaw Ferguson, OT, Virginia. Ferguson was fantastic in team interviews. But there were a handful of personnel people in Indy who got the impression the Jets like Jay Cutler quite a bit and might try to move up to get him. Don't discount a possible move to the No. 1 pick. The prevailing feeling is that this is as far back as Houston would be willing to move down.

5. Green Bay Packers – Mario Williams, DE, North Carolina State. Williams earned some respect by working out at the combine despite being a top-five pick. He looked fluid and impressive in drills, and his 4.66 40-yard dash was eye-opening for a guy who stepped in at 6-foot-7 and 295 pounds.

6. San Francisco 49ers – A.J. Hawk, OLB, Ohio State. Some at the combine thought Hawk might be more suited for an inside position in a 3-4, but he could have the flexibility to play inside or out. One scout remarked that Hawk has the best balance and change of direction of any linebacker in the draft. It's worth mentioning that one scout insisted the 49ers want Texas cornerback/safety Michael Huff at this spot.

7. Oakland Raiders – Vince Young, QB, Texas. His combine was a mess. In hindsight, Young would have been better served if he had worked out. But he's going to have a shot to climb right back to a top-three pick at his pro day. If anyone is capable of blowing the minds of NFL people in a workout, it's Young. Conjecture suggests Al Davis' age might preclude the Raiders from taking a developmental quarterback, but Young would be too good to pass up if he falls this far.

8. Buffalo Bills – Haloti Ngata, DT, Oregon. Ngata interviewed with the Bills and seems like a natural selection at this spot. He ripped off 37 reps and was clocked in the 40-yard dash anywhere from 5.1 to 5.2 seconds. That's not bad for a guy who showed up at 6-4 and 338 pounds.

9. Detroit Lions – Michael Huff, S/CB, Texas. Huff ran a blistering 40-yard dash (4.32 to 4.35 seconds) and showed top-notch lower body explosion in the broad jump and vertical (40 inches). He looked like a guy who could be a great safety (think Ronnie Lott) or a good corner.

10. Arizona Cardinals – LenDale White, RB, USC. White showed up at the combine a little heavy. One scout said he heard groans when White took his shirt off to be measured and weighed. But the buzz was that the Cardinals like him and think he'll be at his best once his pro day rolls around. The thinking is that White can be the power back to accentuate J.J. Arrington's finesse style.

11. St. Louis Rams – Vernon Davis, TE, Maryland. It's hard to imagine Davis being left out of the top 10 after his freakishly awesome combine performance, but the picks seem to be shaping up that way. About the only thing that needs a little work are his hands. One scout said Davis fought the ball a little in passing drills, but every other thing about him was off the charts.

12. Cleveland Browns – Winston Justice, OT, USC. Justice is starting to look like this year's Jammal Brown. Justice didn't run the 40, but he was very impressive in agility drills, placing at or near the top of everyone in his group. Browns general manager Phil Savage also said he believes Justice has got the chops to play left tackle. In the second round, the Browns are focusing on Florida State's Kamerion Wimbley to convert him to outside linebacker.

13. Baltimore Ravens – DeAngelo Williams, RB, Memphis. Williams checked in at the combine at a compact 5-9 and 214 pounds, then disappointed teams by not working out. If the Ravens lose Jamal Lewis and Chester Taylor in free agency and can't land a marquee back, Williams may be the next best option.

14. Philadelphia Eagles – Santonio Holmes, WR, Ohio State. He wasted a good opportunity to run on a fast track and now must contend with Florida's Chad Jackson, who is creeping up on him. Holmes measured in at a solid 5-10½ and 198 pounds, but if he doesn't run fast at his pro day, the bigger Jackson could bump him from this spot.

15. Atlanta Falcons – Jimmy Williams, CB/S, Virginia Tech. Already known for being a motor-mouth with the media, Williams came off cocky in his interview, according to one personnel man. Williams asserted that he "wants coaches to know" that he's a safety and not a corner. That's bound to rub some teams the wrong way. But if he works out fast at his pro day, he could get his wish.

16. Miami Dolphins – Chad Greenway, OLB, Iowa. Greenway alarmed some when he managed only 16 reps in the bench press at the combine. It raises concern about whether he has the strength to shed blockers at the next level. But he's a favorite of Nick Saban disciple Kirk Ferentz, and the Dolphins need a young playmaking starter at outside linebacker. Alabama quarterback Brodie Croyle is the target in the second round.

17. Minnesota Vikings – Ernie Sims, OLB, Florida State. Sims opened a lot of eyes in Indianapolis. After checking in at a slightly more bulked up 5-11 and 231 pounds, he was clocked between 4.46 and 4.51 seconds in the 40 and demonstrated excellent lower body explosion with a 41-inch vertical and 10-5 broad jump. Size is still an issue, but Sims plays big.

18. Dallas Cowboys – Chad Jackson, WR, Florida. There are rumbles that the Cowboys may be looking to trade back to the end of the first round and select N.C. State's Manny Lawson, who will be moved to outside linebacker. If Dallas keeps this pick, the speedy Jackson provides an eventual replacement for the aging duo of Terry Glenn and Keyshawn Johnson. Clemson's Charlie Whitehurst is the quarterback the Cowboys are looking at in the middle rounds.

19. San Diego Chargers – Tye Hill, CB, Clemson. Offense isn't the No. 1 priority, so that will put some depth needs on the back burner. And there isn't a safety good enough to be taken at this spot, so Hill becomes the best available option. There are some size concerns with Hill at 5-9, but he had a very good Senior Bowl and went nuts in the combine drills. Hill was the fastest player in Indy this year in the 40 (4.3 seconds), had a vertical jump of 41 inches and placed in the top three in every agility drill at his position.

20. Kansas City Chiefs – Tamba Hali, DE, Penn State. Hali showed up at the combine at a bulked-up 6-3 and 275 pounds, and looked the part of a dominant defensive end. He would give the team another edge rusher to pair with Jared Allen.

21. New England Patriots – Ashton Youboty, CB, Ohio State. It's hardly a surprise, but there seemed to be a total vacuum when it came to whom the Patriots seemed to be interested in at the combine. They could use a safety and outside linebacker, but Youboty probably would help with the depth issues that seem to plague the Patriots every year at cornerback.

22. Denver Broncos (from Washington) – Brodrick Bunkley, DT, Florida State. He checked in at 6-2 and 286 pounds and caught everyone by surprise when he knocked out 44 reps at 225 pounds. Bunkley ran a 4.95 in the 40 and impressed in drills after having a solid Senior Bowl performance. This might be a tad high, but Bunkley would likely be gone by the Broncos' 29th pick.

23. Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Marcus McNeill, OT, Auburn. Despite his massive size (6-7½, 336) McNeill had a good combine. He ran a 5.07 in the 40, which doesn't mean a lot but is impressive for his size. For the most part, McNeill showed good footwork and was said to have been impressive in his team interviews. The Buccaneers are already familiar with him after breaking down film of Carnell Williams, who ran behind McNeill at Auburn.

24. Cincinnati Bengals – Gabe Watson, DT, Michigan. As expected, tight end looked deep enough at the combine to allow the Bengals to go another way in the first round. A massive defensive tackle is a huge need, and the 6-3, 341-pound Watson fills the massive part. Even though he is loaded with potential, personnel people continued to cast a wary eye on Watson at the combine with the same complaints we've been hearing for some time – he's a part-time stud, part-time dud. A lot of that has to do with Watson's weight and motivation.

25. New York Giants – DeMeco Ryans, OLB, Alabama. Personnel people at the Senior Bowl warned that Ryans was a guy who would get lost in the mix a bit in the combine drills, and that's exactly what happened. Ryans had a solid but not spectacular week. But the fact remains he was a highly productive player on the college level, and if that translates to the NFL, the Giants could have a steal late in the first round.

26. Chicago Bears – Leonard Pope, TE, Georgia. Pope went into the combine and solidified his status as the draft's second-best tight end. He has amazing size (6-7, 258) and ran a good 40 (4.62). Pope also showed great hands in drills and finished in the top five in virtually every drill. He's still somewhat of a liability as a pass blocker but shows the potential to improve.

27. Carolina Panthers – Dominique Byrd, TE, USC. Byrd disappointed by opting out of the combine workouts and choosing to do everything at his pro day. He's taking a gamble, especially with Colorado's Joe Klopfenstein looking like the next best prospect beyond Vernon Davis and Leonard Pope. A defensive tackle like LSU's Claude Wroten remains a possibility here.

28. Jacksonville Jaguars – Mathias Kiwanuka, DE, Boston College. The Jaguars have a lot of needs that could be addressed here, but Kiwanuka would be one of the few possible impact players left. Some thought Kiwanuka would bounce back from a poor Senior Bowl with a big combine. That didn't happen. Instead, Kiwanuka looked mostly like a talented project that could pay off big down the line. He did have the best 20-yard shuttle time at his position.

29. Denver Broncos – Nick Mangold, C, Ohio State. Tom Nalen is on the decline, and Mangold was clearly the best center at the combine. He was fluid in drills, displayed good footwork and seemed to have universally raised his stock among personnel people. Mangold was particularly impressive in the shuttle and cone drills, showing seamless change of direction.

30. Indianapolis Colts – Manny Lawson, DE/OLB, N.C. State. Lawson will more than likely switch to outside linebacker, and he showed the skill set in Indy to make him a very, very attractive project at that spot. Lawson (6-5, 241) posted a 4.42-second 40-yard dash and a 39½-inch vertical, but it didn't end there. He blew away the competition in the agility and explosiveness drills. Despite working out with highly acclaimed teammate Mario Williams, it was Lawson who delivered the most surprising buzz.

31. Seattle Seahawks – Laurence Maroney, RB, Minnesota. Obviously, this pick would be predicated on Shaun Alexander getting away in free agency. And considering the situation with the collective bargaining agreement, that looks like a very real possibility. Although Maroney passed on workouts at the combine, he's a tough and productive runner who should be very durable at 5-10 and 220 pounds. South Carolina safety Ko Simpson is another guy that Seattle has been looking at.

32. Pittsburgh Steelers – Bobby Carpenter, LB, Ohio State. Carpenter would give the Steelers the depth that their linebacking corps is missing. He can play anywhere and be groomed to be a future starter. Safety Ko Simpson is a possibility here, too.

This mock is loaded with dated logic and popcorn picks.

This is March, so why is he telling us this stuff as if its news?

"The Texans are enamored with a handful of other players, too (D'Brickashaw Ferguson, for one)."

"8. Buffalo Bills – Haloti Ngata, DT, Oregon." - not only is this pick about 2 months outdated, but the reason people don't see him going here anymore is because Jauron is going to install the Tampa-2 here. The logic for Ngata is "oh let's replace Pat Williams." But that's not going to happen, since they want 300lb linemen, not 340lb linemen.

"9. Detroit Lions – Michael Huff, S/CB, Texas." - Call this a personal distaste, but I would bet a substantial amount of money that Detroit goes after the 2nd best Defensive End before the First best (Insert Other Skill Position). That Tamba Hali came to the combine at a muscular 275 and still held onto all of his freak abilities makes him a top-10 pick to me.

"13. Baltimore Ravens – DeAngelo Williams, RB, Memphis. Williams checked in at the combine at a compact 5-9 and 214 pounds, then disappointed teams by not working out. If the Ravens lose Jamal Lewis and Chester Taylor in free agency and can't land a marquee back, Williams may be the next best option." - What the hell is that? He talks about how the compact 214lb Williams just devalued himself, then deduces that, logically, the Ravens will somehow have him replace a 245lb Jamal Lewis.... Because that makes sense. If that was the direction they wanted to go, Taylor would have seen a LOT more action this season with Lewis struggling. Their offense isn't built for a perimeter back like Williams/Taylor. It's built for a Jamal Lewis. This is why people have them drafting LenDale White. Likewise, why would Denny Green draft a power back when he has always favored perimeter backs?

"26. Chicago Bears – Leonard Pope, TE, Georgia." - This is what gets me. I can see how a Leonard Pope goes to Chicago, but not in 90% of mock drafts. There's so many options for the Bears to look at for there to be such a consensus pick this deep in the first round of nearly every mock I read. I especially don't like it when any 'expert' doesn't offer any analysis beyong "I read his profile on nfldraftcountdown.com, and I don't know why he'd be a good fit in Chicago, so I won't bother telling you."

29. Denver Broncos – Nick Mangold, C, Ohio State. - There is a common misconception that the Broncos need a replacement for Nalen. They've had one for 5 years in Ben Hamilton (who is playing Guard). I suppose I can't prove to him or anyone else beyond pure speculation, but likewise, I would eat my hat if anyone other than Sean Mahan was the future starting Center for the Bucs. That's just what's going to happen.

"31. Seattle Seahawks – Laurence Maroney, RB, Minnesota." Maroney doesn't fit into this offense, and Alexander isn't going anywhere. Best way I can illustrate this is: Pretend the Seahawks are minus Alexander. Name me one team that is anywhere close to as good a fit for him as Seattle. They have the cap room when few teams even do, a HUGE need for an impact RB, and one of the best offensive lines in football. Not to mention they were just in the Super Bowl last year and have an up and coming defense.

Some Picks I really liked a lot:

Vince Young to the Raiders.

Chad Greenway to the Dolphins.

Mathias Kiwanuka to the Jaguars.

Three TEs in the first round seems pretty high. Outside of Vernon Davis, who is by far the best TE in this draft, there's a very deep 2nd tier, with emphasis on the 2nd tier. None of these guys are first-round quality IMO, but I suppose there's a chance. Call me crazy, but if I'm Carolina, I'm going after the 4th or 5th best TE in the 3rd round rather than the 3rd best TE in the 2nd round....

Just like Alex Smith was the 2nd best TE in last year's draft, it doesn't mean he's going to mandate a selection in the 1st/2nd round because a team wants a TE.

Overall, the biggest problem I had when reading this mock was the sheer lack of analysis. All this guy does is tell you basic facts about the player being drafted, and largely skips over what impact he might have on his team, or why that team would pick him over someone else. I know that he needs to tailor his mock to the masses, and most of the football followers aren't as atuned as we football guys are, but that doesn't mean he has to dumb down his mock so that we can't find anything of value in it. Just the opposite, he should make a mock tailored toward the draft gurus who will get the most out of it, and then include a sentence or two for the Average Joe.

Just some thoughts, overall :no: for me.

This mock is loaded with dated logic and popcorn picks.

This is March, so why is he telling us this stuff as if its news?

"The Texans are enamored with a handful of other players, too (D'Brickashaw Ferguson, for one)."

"8. Buffalo Bills – Haloti Ngata, DT, Oregon."  - not only is this pick about 2 months outdated, but the reason people don't see him going here anymore is because Jauron is going to install the Tampa-2 here.  The logic for Ngata is "oh let's replace Pat Williams."  But that's not going to happen, since they want 300lb linemen, not 340lb linemen.

"9. Detroit Lions – Michael Huff, S/CB, Texas." - Call this a personal distaste, but I would bet a substantial amount of money that Detroit goes after the 2nd best Defensive End before the First best (Insert Other Skill Position).  That Tamba Hali came to the combine at a muscular 275 and still held onto all of his freak abilities makes him a top-10 pick to me.

"13. Baltimore Ravens – DeAngelo Williams, RB, Memphis. Williams checked in at the combine at a compact 5-9 and 214 pounds, then disappointed teams by not working out. If the Ravens lose Jamal Lewis and Chester Taylor in free agency and can't land a marquee back, Williams may be the next best option."  - What the hell is that?  He talks about how the compact 214lb Williams just devalued himself, then deduces that, logically, the Ravens will somehow have him replace a 245lb Jamal Lewis.... Because that makes sense.  If that was the direction they wanted to go, Taylor would have seen a LOT more action this season with Lewis struggling.  Their offense isn't built for a perimeter back like Williams/Taylor.  It's built for a Jamal Lewis.  This is why people have them drafting LenDale White.  Likewise, why would Denny Green draft a power back when he has always favored perimeter backs?

"26. Chicago Bears – Leonard Pope, TE, Georgia."  - This is what gets me.  I can see how a Leonard Pope goes to Chicago, but not in 90% of mock drafts.  There's so many options for the Bears to look at for there to be such a consensus pick this deep in the first round of nearly every mock I read.  I especially don't like it when any 'expert' doesn't offer any analysis beyong "I read his profile on nfldraftcountdown.com, and I don't know why he'd be a good fit in Chicago, so I won't bother telling you."

29. Denver Broncos – Nick Mangold, C, Ohio State. - There is a common misconception that the Broncos need a replacement for Nalen.  They've had one for 5 years in Ben Hamilton (who is playing Guard).  I suppose I can't prove to him or anyone else beyond pure speculation, but likewise, I would eat my hat if anyone other than Sean Mahan was the future starting Center for the Bucs.  That's just what's going to happen.

"31. Seattle Seahawks – Laurence Maroney, RB, Minnesota."  Maroney doesn't fit into this offense, and Alexander isn't going anywhere.  Best way I can illustrate this is:  Pretend the Seahawks are minus Alexander.  Name me one team that is anywhere close to as good a fit for him as Seattle.  They have the cap room when few teams even do, a HUGE need for an impact RB, and one of the best offensive lines in football.  Not to mention they were just in the Super Bowl last year and have an up and coming defense.

Some Picks I really liked a lot:

Vince Young to the Raiders.

Chad Greenway to the Dolphins.

Mathias Kiwanuka to the Jaguars.

Three TEs in the first round seems pretty high.  Outside of Vernon Davis, who is by far the best TE in this draft, there's a very deep 2nd tier, with emphasis on the 2nd tier.  None of these guys are first-round quality IMO, but I suppose there's a chance.  Call me crazy, but if I'm Carolina, I'm going after the 4th or 5th best TE in the 3rd round rather than the 3rd best TE in the 2nd round....

Just like Alex Smith was the 2nd best TE in last year's draft, it doesn't mean he's going to mandate a selection in the 1st/2nd round because a team wants a TE.

Overall, the biggest problem I had when reading this mock was the sheer lack of analysis.  All this guy does is tell you basic facts about the player being drafted, and largely skips over what impact he might have on his team, or why that team would pick him over someone else.  I know that he needs to tailor his mock to the masses, and most of the football followers aren't as atuned as we football guys are, but that doesn't mean he has to dumb down his mock so that we can't find anything of value in it.  Just the opposite, he should make a mock tailored toward the draft gurus who will get the most out of it, and then include a sentence or two for the Average Joe.

Just some thoughts, overall :no: for me.
there are mocks out there that are more analytical (i like nfl draft countdown site)... i was partly passing this along due to the inclusion of the video highlights... i liked the VY & williams highlights...you could be right about ngata... he could drop down to the mid-first... is ngata only capable of fitting into a 3-4? he is 340, but supposedly has the agility, feet & short area quickness of a man considerably smaller... ted washington was a man-mountain who fluorished in a 4-3 at CHI (possibly when jauron was there as HC?)... though if they are going to a cover two, they would probably want a more nimble, faster DT...

#9 seems a little high for hali to me... though DE could absolutely be called a team need... james hall is near 30 (edit/add - 29), i think, & has really only had one good season... kalimba edwards is limited & may be on the move... clearly, though, the secondary is also a huge need... kennedy & holt won't be confused with michael lewis & b-dawk any time soon... when was the last time the lions had a great safety... bennie blades? i think huff's 4.3 at the combine could have him go in the top 10... when was the last time a frontline safety prospect ran a 4.3? how many frontline safety prospects ever have run a 4.3? of course, huff could be a CB, in which case some scouts (mayock comes to mind) think he would be the top one in the class... three CBs went in the top 10 in 2005... with HC childress coming to MIN & OC martz coming to DET... do you really want holt as last line of defense? the past few years, the top pure DE prospects dropped to about #20... ie - will smith, udeze & erasmus james (in case of udeze he had shoulder questions)... even if we include tweeners like ware & merriman last year, they went at #11 & #12... this is of course relative to the strength of other positions in respective drafts... class of 2005 had three sets of 3 RBs, WRs & CBs go in top 10... 2006 might have 1-2 RBs, 0-1 CBs & almost certainly 0 WRs... still, i don't think hali, as much as i like him, grades as high as ware & merriman...

making inferences about whether deangelo would be good fit based on how lewis & taylor played out last season could be a case of conflating RB types & talent levels... even though williams by his physical traits is more akin to taylor, & they used lewis more... williams looks to be FAR more talented than taylor... & lewis just looked ponderous & sluggish last year... i don't see ozzie & the brain casting the team's fate with lewis... imo, williams is a stud, franchise-type back who can both attack the perimeter AND run strong inside... i'm also not sure if it would be wise to pigeon-hole williams as fitting into only certain kinds of blocking schemes... especially when their personnel could be undergoing some changes in the near future... ogden used to be one of the best with walter jones & orlando pace, but he seems to be a player in decline, with eroding skills... i forgot if RT zeus brown still starts or spot starts... but he is old & looks slow... anyway, even if the ravens did rebuild a monster OL geared around power blocking attack, i would still contend that williams could thrive in that type of system as well... willie parker looked good behind PITs OL, though he needed to be complemented by the bus... but deangelo is far more talented than parker... take a supposedly power running attack like CAR, & i would venture williams could be a superstar with that team... as you noted, this pick may haver been contingent on white being gone already... who knows, maybe they would take white if they were both there...

bears don't need a whole lot on defense, though i could see them take a CB if tillman is to be moved to FS...

i agree that center may not seem like pressing need for DEN... but mangold is a stud, & some teams take BPA... he could well be it at that juncture in draft... if they got him, they could leave hamilton at OG & wouldn't need to get a replacement there... also, it sounds like mangold has the size, build & athleticism to play OG if needed...

i don't think there is any way maroney lasts past colts, making it a moot point... he could be gone by MIN... i guess i don't adhere to such a rigid view of players only working with one team (to be fair, you said alexander would fit best in SEA, not only fit there)... i think SA would be an upgrade & do well for many teams... conversely, maroney is nice blend of size, strength, speed, quickness & moves, & i could easily see him fluorish in SEA... that said, i agree alexander probably isn't going anywhere (making issue doubly moot), but that could have as much to do with fact that no team is going to give him what he wants ($15-18 signing bonus)... as to the fact that he admittedly is a very good fit with hawks...

good picks to be cont... thanx for the feedback... everybody benefits from an exchange in which the picks are, as you say, thoroughly analyzed...

Last edited by a moderator:
by charles robinson of yahoo nfl...

9. Detroit Lions – Michael Huff, S/CB, Texas. Huff ran a blistering 40-yard dash (4.32 to 4.35 seconds) and showed top-notch lower body explosion in the broad jump and vertical (40 inches). He looked like a guy who could be a great safety (think Ronnie Lott) or a good corner.

20. Kansas City Chiefs – Tamba Hali, DE, Penn State. Hali showed up at the combine at a bulked-up 6-3 and 275 pounds, and looked the part of a dominant defensive end. He would give the team another edge rusher to pair with Jared Allen.
Per usual, I'll only comment on the teams I know the most about.Huff to Detroit would rock. Exactly the pick I'm hoping for. Then again, I wanted Derrick Johnson there last year...

KC - I'd rather trade down and get Bunkley, more of a need. But Hali would be a force as well, I just don't see him lasting to this point. Another DJ comment here, so maybe I'll be glad to be wrong again.

Per usual, I'll only comment on the teams I know the most about.Huff to Detroit would rock. Exactly the pick I'm hoping for. Then again, I wanted Derrick Johnson there last year...

KC - I'd rather trade down and get Bunkley, more of a need. But Hali would be a force as well, I just don't see him lasting to this point. Another DJ comment here, so maybe I'll be glad to be wrong again.
I feel sorry for Minny, Dal, SD, and KC. There is a very perceptible drop off of talent right around there. Someone will fall through the cracks because someone will go too early, but the 20th pick has almost equal value to the 50th pick in this draft. Tier one is gone. Tier two is huge. If they cannot trade down for Bunkley, which I agree would be great, then they should look to trading in the other direction. Dallas already is. Don't rule out my boy Cutler to the Chiefs though. If the slide starts it could end right there.

Would KC be able to trade down for Brodrick Bunkley? I'm not sure he'll even be there at 20.

I will be pissed if the Raiders take Vince Young. That coin flip is gonna end up screwing us big time if we go offense with that pick.

If Mario and Hawk are both off the board I would prefer they trade down.

Methinks you protest too much. No one can get the first round correct. Some people have come close. Why so harsh? These are perfectly fine projections for early March, and they are in consideration of post-combine evaluations.

"8. Buffalo Bills – Haloti Ngata, DT, Oregon." - not only is this pick about 2 months outdated, but the reason people don't see him going here anymore is because Jauron is going to install the Tampa-2 here. The logic for Ngata is "oh let's replace Pat Williams." But that's not going to happen, since they want 300lb linemen, not 340lb linemen.
Bob, I'll answer yours here. Ngata is far from a NT only. He prefers to play in a 4-3 and said as much. Think Stroud or Henderson here. It's still a very solid projection for the Bills. Ngata is fine as an NT taking up blockers, but he'd rather be more involved penetrating and making plays. He is capable of both. He's a speciman at 340, not just a plug for a 3-4.
"9. Detroit Lions – Michael Huff, S/CB, Texas." - Call this a personal distaste, but I would bet a substantial amount of money that Detroit goes after the 2nd best Defensive End before the First best (Insert Other Skill Position). That Tamba Hali came to the combine at a muscular 275 and still held onto all of his freak abilities makes him a top-10 pick to me.
I'm with OZ. Great pick, great spot. And Tamba Hali is no freak. He's just a hard worker with a fast running motor. This would be too soon for him.
"13. Baltimore Ravens – DeAngelo Williams, RB, Memphis. Williams checked in at the combine at a compact 5-9 and 214 pounds, then disappointed teams by not working out. If the Ravens lose Jamal Lewis and Chester Taylor in free agency and can't land a marquee back, Williams may be the next best option." - What the hell is that? He talks about how the compact 214lb Williams just devalued himself, then deduces that, logically, the Ravens will somehow have him replace a 245lb Jamal Lewis.... Because that makes sense. If that was the direction they wanted to go, Taylor would have seen a LOT more action this season with Lewis struggling. Their offense isn't built for a perimeter back like Williams/Taylor. It's built for a Jamal Lewis. This is why people have them drafting LenDale White. Likewise, why would Denny Green draft a power back when he has always favored perimeter backs?
Sheesh, Brandow. The Ravens 0-line is not built for anything in particular. They need a back to hit the holes hard. DeAngelo is a great value here. One thing about the Ravens that you've missed, is they do not draft for needs. Ever. Ozzie is highly acclaimed for having the league's best personnel department and he seeks the best available player with his first rounder always. Depending on how you grade DeAngelo, this pick is fine. I think Williams should already be gone so it makes sense to me based on Ozzie and value. The minute you start talking need specific and Baltimore you are missing the mark with these guys. Further, I have no idea who Ozzie will grade the highest at this point of the draft, but I'll keep my mouth shut and respect whoever he picks.
"26. Chicago Bears – Leonard Pope, TE, Georgia." - This is what gets me. I can see how a Leonard Pope goes to Chicago, but not in 90% of mock drafts. There's so many options for the Bears to look at for there to be such a consensus pick this deep in the first round of nearly every mock I read. I especially don't like it when any 'expert' doesn't offer any analysis beyong "I read his profile on nfldraftcountdown.com, and I don't know why he'd be a good fit in Chicago, so I won't bother telling you."
Robinson did a fine job addressing Pope's combine excellence and this pick. I don't know what NFL DraftCountdown has to do with this projection. Many sites have predicted the same. There's good reason. Will the Bears address their defense with the first rounder? Not likely. What's the biggest concern on offense? TE and some aging lineman. Who's the best available TE? Pope. It is a classic meeting of needs and value. It may not happen, but I'll probably call it a mistake if they pass on Pope. Depends on who they take. But the line is solid, the RBs are solid, QBs are being developed, a vet WR has a couple solid developmentals around him, and they need a TE... badly.
29. Denver Broncos – Nick Mangold, C, Ohio State. - There is a common misconception that the Broncos need a replacement for Nalen. They've had one for 5 years in Ben Hamilton (who is playing Guard). I suppose I can't prove to him or anyone else beyond pure speculation, but likewise, I would eat my hat if anyone other than Sean Mahan was the future starting Center for the Bucs. That's just what's going to happen.
Mangold is a great pick for Denver. Hamilton is a fourth rounder from 2001 who has settled in at guard. Denver tried to find a future center in the 6th last year in Chris Meyers, but it looks like he's just going to have a cup of coffee in the NFL and move on in life. Mangold has the highest grade for a center since... well, in many years. The Broncos are in the market. Hamilton is depth at the position nothing else. Mangold is a future stud by all accounts. Denver likes stud lineman.
"31. Seattle Seahawks – Laurence Maroney, RB, Minnesota." Maroney doesn't fit into this offense, and Alexander isn't going anywhere. Best way I can illustrate this is: Pretend the Seahawks are minus Alexander. Name me one team that is anywhere close to as good a fit for him as Seattle. They have the cap room when few teams even do, a HUGE need for an impact RB, and one of the best offensive lines in football. Not to mention they were just in the Super Bowl last year and have an up and coming defense.
Why doesn't Maroney fit? He seems sort of Alexanderish to me. Similar size, similar one cut and go game. They're both durable grinders with good vision and some juice. Robinson was clear that the projection was assuming Alexander would leave. It's looking unlikely I agree, but I'm not going to get in a huff over this projection. Someone is taking Maroney around here.

I will be pissed if the Raiders take Vince Young. That coin flip is gonna end up screwing us big time if we go offense with that pick.

I fought off Eagles fans for months after they drafted McNabb. Young is a steal for the Raiders.

Would KC be able to trade down for Brodrick Bunkley? I'm not sure he'll even be there at 20.
I think he means down as in pick ten is lower than pick 20... so down and higher. :confused:

I fought off Eagles fans for months after they drafted McNabb. Young is a steal for the Raiders.
Maybe....maybe in the long term. But this guy is going to need NFL coaching. A lot of it. And he won't be the starter this year. Plus Davis doesn't like taking QBs with early picks at all, and I agree with that philosophy. Why pay some guy a ton just to groom him and hope that he pans out at the NFL level? Their need is on the defensive side of the ball and it starts with the front seven.

Maybe....maybe in the long term. But this guy is going to need NFL coaching. A lot of it. And he won't be the starter this year. Plus Davis doesn't like taking QBs with early picks at all, and I agree with that philosophy. Why pay some guy a ton just to groom him and hope that he pans out at the NFL level? Their need is on the defensive side of the ball and it starts with the front seven.
I agree with your thoughts even though I think he is a steal there. I forget which Raider exec was talking at the combine but he was very pleased with Walter and ruled out a 1st round QB. In that sense the projection is a reach. Young should still be where he was before the wonderlic, imo. Top 3.

I agree with your thoughts even though I think he is a steal there. I forget which Raider exec was talking at the combine but he was very pleased with Walter and ruled out a 1st round QB. In that sense the projection is a reach. Young should still be where he was before the wonderlic, imo. Top 3.
I hope Young goes top 3 so one of the previous two talked about is still there for the Raiders. Damn coin flip, lol. I know on a lot of draft boards he'd be a steal if the Raiders could land him there, but they won't do it based off of their past history. Plus, I think Walter might be the man there anyway in a year or two.

I feel sorry for Minny, Dal, SD, and KC. There is a very perceptible drop off of talent right around there. Someone will fall through the cracks because someone will go too early, but the 20th pick has almost equal value to the 50th pick in this draft. Tier one is gone. Tier two is huge. If they cannot trade down for Bunkley, which I agree would be great, then they should look to trading in the other direction. Dallas already is. Don't rule out my boy Cutler to the Chiefs though. If the slide starts it could end right there.
Those teams aren't too concerned since the positions they need - WR, CB, OT - are still going to be solid at those positions. SD in particluar could benefit from any numbers of players - Jackson, Hill or McNeill.

Those teams aren't too concerned since the positions they need - WR, CB, OT - are still going to be solid at those positions. SD in particluar could benefit from any numbers of players - Jackson, Hill or McNeill.
That's sort of why I feel sorry for them though. Jackson, Hill and McNeill are all in a mix with many other talents at the same position. Any of them could go sooner, which would send some of the elite talent down. Best I can tell, Hill is considered the top cover corner, but he is not without his critics or competition that me by higher on some draftboards. The same goes for the other two. The difference in McNeill and Whitworth, Jackson and Webb, Hill and Hunter... is pretty small.

Methinks you protest too much.  No one can get the first round correct.  Some people have come close.  Why so harsh?  These are perfectly fine projections for early March, and they are in consideration of post-combine evaluations. 

"8. Buffalo Bills – Haloti Ngata, DT, Oregon."  - not only is this pick about 2 months outdated, but the reason people don't see him going here anymore is because Jauron is going to install the Tampa-2 here.  The logic for Ngata is "oh let's replace Pat Williams."  But that's not going to happen, since they want 300lb linemen, not 340lb linemen.
Bob, I'll answer yours here. Ngata is far from a NT only. He prefers to play in a 4-3 and said as much. Think Stroud or Henderson here. It's still a very solid projection for the Bills. Ngata is fine as an NT taking up blockers, but he'd rather be more involved penetrating and making plays. He is capable of both. He's a speciman at 340, not just a plug for a 3-4.
"9. Detroit Lions – Michael Huff, S/CB, Texas." - Call this a personal distaste, but I would bet a substantial amount of money that Detroit goes after the 2nd best Defensive End before the First best (Insert Other Skill Position).  That Tamba Hali came to the combine at a muscular 275 and still held onto all of his freak abilities makes him a top-10 pick to me.
I'm with OZ. Great pick, great spot. And Tamba Hali is no freak. He's just a hard worker with a fast running motor. This would be too soon for him.
"13. Baltimore Ravens – DeAngelo Williams, RB, Memphis. Williams checked in at the combine at a compact 5-9 and 214 pounds, then disappointed teams by not working out. If the Ravens lose Jamal Lewis and Chester Taylor in free agency and can't land a marquee back, Williams may be the next best option."  - What the hell is that?  He talks about how the compact 214lb Williams just devalued himself, then deduces that, logically, the Ravens will somehow have him replace a 245lb Jamal Lewis.... Because that makes sense.  If that was the direction they wanted to go, Taylor would have seen a LOT more action this season with Lewis struggling.  Their offense isn't built for a perimeter back like Williams/Taylor.  It's built for a Jamal Lewis.  This is why people have them drafting LenDale White.  Likewise, why would Denny Green draft a power back when he has always favored perimeter backs?
Sheesh, Brandow. The Ravens 0-line is not built for anything in particular. They need a back to hit the holes hard. DeAngelo is a great value here. One thing about the Ravens that you've missed, is they do not draft for needs. Ever. Ozzie is highly acclaimed for having the league's best personnel department and he seeks the best available player with his first rounder always. Depending on how you grade DeAngelo, this pick is fine. I think Williams should already be gone so it makes sense to me based on Ozzie and value. The minute you start talking need specific and Baltimore you are missing the mark with these guys. Further, I have no idea who Ozzie will grade the highest at this point of the draft, but I'll keep my mouth shut and respect whoever he picks.
"26. Chicago Bears – Leonard Pope, TE, Georgia."  - This is what gets me.  I can see how a Leonard Pope goes to Chicago, but not in 90% of mock drafts.  There's so many options for the Bears to look at for there to be such a consensus pick this deep in the first round of nearly every mock I read.  I especially don't like it when any 'expert' doesn't offer any analysis beyong "I read his profile on nfldraftcountdown.com, and I don't know why he'd be a good fit in Chicago, so I won't bother telling you."
Robinson did a fine job addressing Pope's combine excellence and this pick. I don't know what NFL DraftCountdown has to do with this projection. Many sites have predicted the same. There's good reason. Will the Bears address their defense with the first rounder? Not likely. What's the biggest concern on offense? TE and some aging lineman. Who's the best available TE? Pope. It is a classic meeting of needs and value. It may not happen, but I'll probably call it a mistake if they pass on Pope. Depends on who they take. But the line is solid, the RBs are solid, QBs are being developed, a vet WR has a couple solid developmentals around him, and they need a TE... badly.
29. Denver Broncos – Nick Mangold, C, Ohio State. - There is a common misconception that the Broncos need a replacement for Nalen.  They've had one for 5 years in Ben Hamilton (who is playing Guard).  I suppose I can't prove to him or anyone else beyond pure speculation, but likewise, I would eat my hat if anyone other than Sean Mahan was the future starting Center for the Bucs.  That's just what's going to happen.
Mangold is a great pick for Denver. Hamilton is a fourth rounder from 2001 who has settled in at guard. Denver tried to find a future center in the 6th last year in Chris Meyers, but it looks like he's just going to have a cup of coffee in the NFL and move on in life. Mangold has the highest grade for a center since... well, in many years. The Broncos are in the market. Hamilton is depth at the position nothing else. Mangold is a future stud by all accounts. Denver likes stud lineman.
"31. Seattle Seahawks – Laurence Maroney, RB, Minnesota."  Maroney doesn't fit into this offense, and Alexander isn't going anywhere.  Best way I can illustrate this is:  Pretend the Seahawks are minus Alexander.  Name me one team that is anywhere close to as good a fit for him as Seattle.  They have the cap room when few teams even do, a HUGE need for an impact RB, and one of the best offensive lines in football.  Not to mention they were just in the Super Bowl last year and have an up and coming defense.
Why doesn't Maroney fit? He seems sort of Alexanderish to me. Similar size, similar one cut and go game. They're both durable grinders with good vision and some juice. Robinson was clear that the projection was assuming Alexander would leave. It's looking unlikely I agree, but I'm not going to get in a huff over this projection. Someone is taking Maroney around here.
good post, CC...i'm with you... i have a lot of humility when it comes to making predictions about the first round... there are so many variables, with 32 different teams, often times with different grades on the same player... & it only takes one of those teams to fall in love with a player & reach for them... there are also so many teams that have multiple needs... sometimes the teams themselves differ between coaching staff (even offensive & defensive coaching staffs, like when WAS was in an internal tug-of-war over sean taylor & kellen winslow :) )...

cold hard football facts did a study in the wake of the 2005 draft looking at six final mocks... they divided it up into three draft services & three nationally known "pundits" (like their favorite whipping boy pete prisco)... scouts, inc. did best, at around a 40-45% clip... including an eerie nine for nine in the initial nine picks...

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Article.php?Page=90

in a draft like this, where depending on who you ask, there are about 10-20 players that carry first round grades... that means the next 30-40 picks are near identical in value, making it a real guessing game after the first half of round one...

all you can do is try & break down which positions are strongest, do a probable count of how many will go from each position, & than try & slot those positions to the teams where they seem to be the best intersection of BPA & team need...

in that context, i liked pat kirwans recent article at nfl.com called is the draft logic starting to shape up?

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/9272044

where he attempts to first identify those players LEAST likely to drop out of first... than it is incumbent on us to reverse engineer from there & slot those players where they fit best...

just looking at the top 10 even, it becomes somewhat unpredictable who goes where after #2 leinert... & even top of draft could get shaken up if HOU trades out of that spot & bush drops, NYJ could take leinert #1 overall... does TEN take a QB... if jets don't trade up, do they take da brick or QB???

imo, VY won't free fall that far & probably not past raiders... i don't see cutler getting past DET & ARI, & he could go higher... so likely three QBs go in top 10...

at RB i have seen mocks where three RBs go (to HOU, SF & ARI) & some where only bush goes... i don't think SF goes RB... the next team that is possible, imo is ARI, but they could opt for vernon davis (if he is still there)... with droughns reupping, & BAL RB stable in seeming disarray, it wouldn't surprise me to see ravens opt for williams or white... MIN is linked with a RB a lot, & i like that call as well... i was saying weeks ago that i would be shocked if talent like maroney lasts to colts...

but back to top 10, i see one & maybe two RBs going...

no WRs...

vernon davis put on a show at combine, so he probably goes anytime from SF on... if he drops out of top 10, i hope rams snap him up at 11...

DE i think super mario is only top 10 caliber DE, & is seemingly locked in to dropping no further than the sixth pick, where he & hawk are frequently linked with GB & SF... both teams which could use upgrades at both DL 7 LB... i think it is harder to find peppers-like DEs than uhrlacher-like LBs, so i expect him to go to GB...

DT... ngata is a possibility, though some scouts say his stock is dropping a little... a guy who is rocketing up board is bunkley, who i don't think will crack the top 10 (though sometimes big men are highly coveted, like when NO traded two first rounders to go up & get epic bust jonathan sullivan few years ago)... but i think he will surprise some people with how high he goes... that was a monstrous performance at combine...

LB... aforementioned hawk only lock to go in top 10, & probably that is it... greenway was listed in many mocks in or around top 10 before combine, but he had sluggish measurables... he is a playmaker on the field & shouldn't drop too far, but he could now drop to about 15-20... my second favorite LB now, & favorite in value sense (because he may have similar impact & could be gotten cheaper) is ernie sims, who i am starting to think has leapfrogged greenway & ryans as LB #2 prospect & could be gone by the 20th pick... i like d'qwell jackson a lot, too, but no way he goes in top 10, & he might last to beginning of round two... my guess is end of round one...

there isn't a CB or safety worthy of top 10 except for huff, who imo definitely is... jimmy williams who is a tweener CB/S could be close in terms of athletic ability (linked with rams at #11 in a lot of mocks)... but he sounds like a bit of a head case, & hope STL would pass if he was there... i'm hoping vernon davis drops, otherwise wouldn't mind trading down (maybe for something like DENs #22 & #29, & don't know if it would be enough to cough up an additional 4th?)...

I'd say there is almost no chance that Dallas takes a first round WR. As good as Jackson looked at the combine, its not something Dallas will do. Here is a direct quote from Parcells, "I think taking wide receivers real high is risky."

That was part of his press conference late last season. Here is a link to the transcript of that segment of the presser. Link

The author of the mock is correct that Manny Lawson is high on Dallas' radar. They interviewed him for quite awhile at the Senior Bowl. They need more linebackers. If they can't trade down, I would not be surprised if they took him at 18.

A couple of other names that are not unlikely: Bobby Carpenter and Gabe Watson.

Take a WR in the first? just not going to happen.

I'd say there is almost no chance that Dallas takes a first round WR. As good as Jackson looked at the combine, its not something Dallas will do. Here is a direct quote from Parcells, "I think taking wide receivers real high is risky."

That was part of his press conference late last season. Here is a link to the transcript of that segment of the presser. Link

The author of the mock is correct that Manny Lawson is high on Dallas' radar. They interviewed him for quite awhile at the Senior Bowl. They need more linebackers. If they can't trade down, I would not be surprised if they took him at 18.

Take a WR in the first? just not going to happen.
good call... i agree a WR pick to get younger is almost certainly a luxury pick the cowboys can't afford right now... at least not in the first (parcells may only be around for another few years, & WRs take time to develope)... most team insiders have identified their top needs as LB, OL & FS... difference making LBs more likely to be found (not sure if they would want guys like peterson & arrington from FA?)... OL & FS could be gotten later... i think max jean-gilles would look good in cowboys uniform & groomed to replace larry allen (rivera aging, too), but first probably too early & don't think he will be there in the second where they will be picking... there seem to be decent RT options like runyan & fabini at RT in FA, though not sure they want to pay out another big contract to a grizzled veteran on OL after experience with rivera, & allen getting up there.

1)Methinks you protest too much. No one can get the first round correct. Some people have come close. Why so harsh? These are perfectly fine projections for early March, and they are in consideration of post-combine evaluations.

2)Ngata is far from a NT only. He prefers to play in a 4-3 and said as much. Think Stroud or Henderson here. It's still a very solid projection for the Bills. Ngata is fine as an NT taking up blockers, but he'd rather be more involved penetrating and making plays. He is capable of both. He's a speciman at 340, not just a plug for a 3-4.

3)I'm with OZ. Great pick, great spot. And Tamba Hali is no freak. He's just a hard worker with a fast running motor. This would be too soon for him.

4)Sheesh, Brandow. The Ravens 0-line is not built for anything in particular. They need a back to hit the holes hard. DeAngelo is a great value here. One thing about the Ravens that you've missed, is they do not draft for needs. Ever. Ozzie is highly acclaimed for having the league's best personnel department and he seeks the best available player with his first rounder always. Depending on how you grade DeAngelo, this pick is fine. I think Williams should already be gone so it makes sense to me based on Ozzie and value. The minute you start talking need specific and Baltimore you are missing the mark with these guys. Further, I have no idea who Ozzie will grade the highest at this point of the draft, but I'll keep my mouth shut and respect whoever he picks.

5)Robinson did a fine job addressing Pope's combine excellence and this pick. I don't know what NFL DraftCountdown has to do with this projection. Many sites have predicted the same. There's good reason. Will the Bears address their defense with the first rounder? Not likely. What's the biggest concern on offense? TE and some aging lineman. Who's the best available TE? Pope. It is a classic meeting of needs and value. It may not happen, but I'll probably call it a mistake if they pass on Pope. Depends on who they take. But the line is solid, the RBs are solid, QBs are being developed, a vet WR has a couple solid developmentals around him, and they need a TE... badly.

6)Mangold is a great pick for Denver. Hamilton is a fourth rounder from 2001 who has settled in at guard. Denver tried to find a future center in the 6th last year in Chris Meyers, but it looks like he's just going to have a cup of coffee in the NFL and move on in life. Mangold has the highest grade for a center since... well, in many years. The Broncos are in the market. Hamilton is depth at the position nothing else. Mangold is a future stud by all accounts. Denver likes stud lineman.

7)Why doesn't Maroney fit? He seems sort of Alexanderish to me. Similar size, similar one cut and go game. They're both durable grinders with good vision and some juice. Robinson was clear that the projection was assuming Alexander would leave. It's looking unlikely I agree, but I'm not going to get in a huff over this projection. Someone is taking Maroney around here.
*numbered/edited for clarity1) It's not meant to be harsh. I know that no one will get it right, including myself. My point is that mocks should get people to think, not get people to agree on consensus picks. This guy's analysis doesn't stem beyond "this is how the guy did at the combine." If that was his goal, he should have had a post-combine article, not a mock draft.

2) I completely agree. Ngata would be fantastic in a 43. See this thread. The problem is that in the Tampa-2, which Jauron is going to install in Buffalo, they don't want big fat linemen, they want guys around the 300 range. I agree that he is a freak at that weight and might be able to pull it off, but at that, there are guys that are more pure T2 NT/UT guys that would fit much better. This is largely why, if you go to the Buffalo Bills Forums, they are all gung-ho about Bunkley now. As I had iterated throughout my reply, this is simply dated logic.

3) As I said, call this personal distaste. If I'm Rod Marinelli, and I've been coaching the DL for the last half decade, I know what I'm looking for, and I know what I've got already in Detroit, and it's not what I want at DE. To make the T2 work, you've got to have a great DE (a la Freeney in IND, Rice in TB). I personally feel that Hali is solidified as a top-10 value with his combine weight. Huff would be a fantastic pick and is a need position for the Lions. The problem is that the secondary isn't the core of the Tampa-2, the DL is. Without the monster DEs and penetrating DTs, the Linebackers and Safeties have a lot more responsibility and more liability, and more pressure gets put on the CBs to cover their islands. Honestly, if I'm Marinelli, I do whatever it takes to get Mario Williams, and even go as far as to trade up to 4 to get him. I think he's that special and would make that much of an impact for this team. They could give up a 2007 1st for him, because if they get him, that defense will keep them in enough games to make that pick a middle-round pick at best next year. Again, this is just my opinion, and it's a pick that I don't like at all because of it, but unlike the other picks, his logic is fine. I just don't like it as aforementioned in the original post.

4) I disagree here, because the Ravens have had the biggest OL in the league for a while. There's a reason they wanted a big and bruising back and a huge OL, and that's to run the football constantly. I don't disagree that DeAngelo Williams will be an awesome RB, and I think he's well worth a top-5 pick. But there's a fine line between picking the best player available and picking a player who is completely the opposite of what your offense is designed to support. So, we'll just agree to disagree here, but you won't change my mind, because I guarantee you they won't pick him. In this case, they will take the 2nd best player available. (You can look back as close as last year's draft where Rodgers fell all the way to No.24. Certainly he was the "best player available" at some point in the early-middle of the round.) At that, it's not even a need, because Lewis will be back. People need to get off his nuts. He played hurt all of last year, and without his lead blocker and best blocker for most of the season, not to mention his starting QB (who, like him or not, is a lot better than anyone else on that roster).

5) I used NFLDraftCountdown as an example of reference. There are too many people who go by only what they read on scouting reports, and I think you'll agree that there is way too much consensus for some picks that are so late in the 1st round. Most of us here agree that there are about 20 guys that are locks for the first round, and then probably 20-30 guys that are all on that next level that could go near the end of the first round or slip all the way to the bottom of the 2nd. For a guy like Leonard Pope (who's in that latter category) to be going to the Bears in so many mocks, I have to raise a flag and say that this is a case of copycat mocking, where people just don't properly research and evaluate the team, and instead just agree that such a pick is sufficient and move on.

6) Like I said, I don't have the resources to sit here and prove to you that Hamilton is the successor at Center, but just like Mahan was drafted on Day 2 behind Wade for the Bucs, Hamilton was drafted on Day 2 behind Nalen for the Broncos. Now, if the Bucs decide Wade can keep playing at a high level for the next 3-4 years, Mahan will continue to play guard. That doesn't mean he's "settling" into the Guard position, because like Hamilton, he's really too small. Both teams simply lack a better option. Hamilton and Mahan are pretty solid guards, but they would be much better suited at Center. I don't think anyone really expected Nalen to last this long at Center (but were certainly hoping, and he might well be able to play a few more years if they keep him), so they drafted a replacement. Just because he continued to perform at a high level doesn't mean that now Hamilton can't play Center. I also don't agree he'll be the BPA at this point. I love the shark move by the Jaguars to sweep up Kiwanuka, because he'd be a lock at 29 for the Broncos (where a lot of mocks have him), but if Kiwi was gone then, the Broncos wouldn't draft a 3rd string center who would likely play Guard when Hamilton moved over (or vise versa). It would really be a waste of a first-round pick, considering the potential upgrade is arguable, and there are bigger needs/better players available at this point.

7) I agree if Alexander is gone that RB is their top priority. But, as has been discussed much before on this board, Maroney is a runner that is a product of a zone-blocking team. That's why he'd be a great fit for Minnesota, who runs exactly the same system that he played in college. He doesn't fit in Indianapolis any more than he does in Seattle, and won't be selected by either. This guy is not at all like Alexander. 210 compared to 225 is a big difference, and reflects these guys' playing style. Alexander is not a receiving back, and Maroney is supposed to have much better hands than his stats/experience would lead us to believe. If I'm Seattle and Alexander is off the market, there's no way I draft any of the RBs available at No.30 when I can go after proven RBs in the free agent market (and there is a huge selection this year). They have arguably the best cap situation in the NFL right now (aside from maybe the Browns), and I don't see them settling for a Maroney when they can land a lot of playmakers in the FA pool. And most of us agree here, they can plug anyone in behind that line and get 1,000 yard rusher. Alexander may well not return because of this, because they may not see the drop-off as worth the large monetary difference. If they don't, it would be counter-intuitive to spend a 1st round pick on a RB.

Like I said, I have no problem with anyone who wants to make a mock. But my problem is that when someone does, and they don't do the necessary work to make one informative, then why bother? We can argue all day long about what picks go where, but we seeing many of the same recurring picks and where this guy has very, very scant information regarding these players as they actually fit into the teams, I just feel obligated to speak up about them.

I like reading mocks where I actually learn something I didn't know before. I don't like reading mocks that are exactly the same thing I've read at dozens of other places.

All of your opinions are perfectly valid, and we learn through debating. But I like for the mocker to provide some of that information at least.

:boxing:

3) As I said, call this personal distaste. If I'm Rod Marinelli, and I've been coaching the DL for the last half decade, I know what I'm looking for, and I know what I've got already in Detroit, and it's not what I want at DE. To make the T2 work, you've got to have a great DE (a la Freeney in IND, Rice in TB). I personally feel that Hali is solidified as a top-10 value with his combine weight. Huff would be a fantastic pick and is a need position for the Lions. The problem is that the secondary isn't the core of the Tampa-2, the DL is. Without the monster DEs and penetrating DTs, the Linebackers and Safeties have a lot more responsibility and more liability, and more pressure gets put on the CBs to cover their islands. Honestly, if I'm Marinelli, I do whatever it takes to get Mario Williams, and even go as far as to trade up to 4 to get him. I think he's that special and would make that much of an impact for this team. They could give up a 2007 1st for him, because if they get him, that defense will keep them in enough games to make that pick a middle-round pick at best next year. Again, this is just my opinion, and it's a pick that I don't like at all because of it, but unlike the other picks, his logic is fine. I just don't like it as aforementioned in the original post.
I'm not as high on Hali as you are and don't consider him an absolute sure-thing the way you do. He's good and has the potential to be great, but he's not in Mario Williams' class. Trading up will cost way too much and Huff is the ideal pick for them. With a pick that high you want to get someone who is going to make an impact and Huff will do that regardless of whether it's a Tampa-2 defense or not. DL can be addressed in the 2nd round with someone like Ray Edwards, who I don't consider much of a drop-off from Hali. On the other hand, Huff is a much better prospect than the safeties in the 2nd round.

1)Methinks you protest too much.  No one can get the first round correct.  Some people have come close.  Why so harsh?  These are perfectly fine projections for early March, and they are in consideration of post-combine evaluations. 

2)Ngata is far from a NT only.  He prefers to play in a 4-3 and said as much.  Think Stroud or Henderson here.  It's still a very solid projection for the Bills.  Ngata is fine as an NT taking up blockers, but he'd rather be more involved penetrating and making plays.  He is capable of both.  He's a speciman at 340, not just a plug for a 3-4. 

3)I'm with OZ.  Great pick, great spot.  And Tamba Hali is no freak.  He's just a hard worker with a fast running motor.  This would be too soon for him. 

4)Sheesh, Brandow.  The Ravens 0-line is not built for anything in particular.  They need a back to hit the holes hard.  DeAngelo is a great value here.  One thing about the Ravens that you've missed, is they do not draft for needs.  Ever.  Ozzie is highly acclaimed for having the league's best personnel department and he seeks the best available player with his first rounder always.  Depending on how you grade DeAngelo, this pick is fine.  I think Williams should already be gone so it makes sense to me based on Ozzie and value.  The minute you start talking need specific and Baltimore you are missing the mark with these guys.  Further, I have no idea who Ozzie will grade the highest at this point of the draft, but I'll keep my mouth shut and respect whoever he picks. 

5)Robinson did a fine job addressing Pope's combine excellence and this pick.  I don't know what NFL DraftCountdown has to do with this projection.  Many sites have predicted the same.  There's good reason.  Will the Bears address their defense with the first rounder?  Not likely.  What's the biggest concern on offense?  TE and some aging lineman.  Who's the best available TE?  Pope.  It is a classic meeting of needs and value.  It may not happen, but I'll probably call it a mistake if they pass on Pope.   Depends on who they take.  But the line is solid, the RBs are solid, QBs are being developed, a vet WR has a couple solid developmentals around him, and they need a TE... badly. 

6)Mangold is a great pick for Denver.  Hamilton is a fourth rounder from 2001 who has settled in at guard.  Denver tried to find a future center in the 6th last year in Chris Meyers, but it looks like he's just going to have a cup of coffee in the NFL and move on in life.  Mangold has the highest grade for a center since... well, in many years.  The Broncos are in the market.  Hamilton is depth at the position nothing else.  Mangold is a future stud by all accounts.  Denver likes stud lineman.

7)Why doesn't Maroney fit?  He seems sort of Alexanderish to me.  Similar size, similar one cut and go game.  They're both durable grinders with good vision and some juice.  Robinson was clear that the projection was assuming Alexander would leave.  It's looking unlikely I agree, but I'm not going to get in a huff over this projection.  Someone is taking Maroney around here.
*numbered/edited for clarity1) It's not meant to be harsh. I know that no one will get it right, including myself. My point is that mocks should get people to think, not get people to agree on consensus picks. This guy's analysis doesn't stem beyond "this is how the guy did at the combine." If that was his goal, he should have had a post-combine article, not a mock draft.

2) I completely agree. Ngata would be fantastic in a 43. See this thread. The problem is that in the Tampa-2, which Jauron is going to install in Buffalo, they don't want big fat linemen, they want guys around the 300 range. I agree that he is a freak at that weight and might be able to pull it off, but at that, there are guys that are more pure T2 NT/UT guys that would fit much better. This is largely why, if you go to the Buffalo Bills Forums, they are all gung-ho about Bunkley now. As I had iterated throughout my reply, this is simply dated logic.

4) I disagree here, because the Ravens have had the biggest OL in the league for a while. There's a reason they wanted a big and bruising back and a huge OL, and that's to run the football constantly. I don't disagree that DeAngelo Williams will be an awesome RB, and I think he's well worth a top-5 pick. But there's a fine line between picking the best player available and picking a player who is completely the opposite of what your offense is designed to support. So, we'll just agree to disagree here, but you won't change my mind, because I guarantee you they won't pick him. In this case, they will take the 2nd best player available. (You can look back as close as last year's draft where Rodgers fell all the way to No.24. Certainly he was the "best player available" at some point in the early-middle of the round.) At that, it's not even a need, because Lewis will be back. People need to get off his nuts. He played hurt all of last year, and without his lead blocker and best blocker for most of the season, not to mention his starting QB (who, like him or not, is a lot better than anyone else on that roster).

5) I used NFLDraftCountdown as an example of reference. There are too many people who go by only what they read on scouting reports, and I think you'll agree that there is way too much consensus for some picks that are so late in the 1st round. Most of us here agree that there are about 20 guys that are locks for the first round, and then probably 20-30 guys that are all on that next level that could go near the end of the first round or slip all the way to the bottom of the 2nd. For a guy like Leonard Pope (who's in that latter category) to be going to the Bears in so many mocks, I have to raise a flag and say that this is a case of copycat mocking, where people just don't properly research and evaluate the team, and instead just agree that such a pick is sufficient and move on.

6) Like I said, I don't have the resources to sit here and prove to you that Hamilton is the successor at Center, but just like Mahan was drafted on Day 2 behind Wade for the Bucs, Hamilton was drafted on Day 2 behind Nalen for the Broncos. Now, if the Bucs decide Wade can keep playing at a high level for the next 3-4 years, Mahan will continue to play guard. That doesn't mean he's "settling" into the Guard position, because like Hamilton, he's really too small. Both teams simply lack a better option. Hamilton and Mahan are pretty solid guards, but they would be much better suited at Center. I don't think anyone really expected Nalen to last this long at Center (but were certainly hoping, and he might well be able to play a few more years if they keep him), so they drafted a replacement. Just because he continued to perform at a high level doesn't mean that now Hamilton can't play Center. I also don't agree he'll be the BPA at this point. I love the shark move by the Jaguars to sweep up Kiwanuka, because he'd be a lock at 29 for the Broncos (where a lot of mocks have him), but if Kiwi was gone then, the Broncos wouldn't draft a 3rd string center who would likely play Guard when Hamilton moved over (or vise versa). It would really be a waste of a first-round pick, considering the potential upgrade is arguable, and there are bigger needs/better players available at this point.

7) I agree if Alexander is gone that RB is their top priority. But, as has been discussed much before on this board, Maroney is a runner that is a product of a zone-blocking team. That's why he'd be a great fit for Minnesota, who runs exactly the same system that he played in college. He doesn't fit in Indianapolis any more than he does in Seattle, and won't be selected by either. This guy is not at all like Alexander. 210 compared to 225 is a big difference, and reflects these guys' playing style. Alexander is not a receiving back, and Maroney is supposed to have much better hands than his stats/experience would lead us to believe. If I'm Seattle and Alexander is off the market, there's no way I draft any of the RBs available at No.30 when I can go after proven RBs in the free agent market (and there is a huge selection this year). They have arguably the best cap situation in the NFL right now (aside from maybe the Browns), and I don't see them settling for a Maroney when they can land a lot of playmakers in the FA pool. And most of us agree here, they can plug anyone in behind that line and get 1,000 yard rusher. Alexander may well not return because of this, because they may not see the drop-off as worth the large monetary difference. If they don't, it would be counter-intuitive to spend a 1st round pick on a RB.

Like I said, I have no problem with anyone who wants to make a mock. But my problem is that when someone does, and they don't do the necessary work to make one informative, then why bother? We can argue all day long about what picks go where, but we seeing many of the same recurring picks and where this guy has very, very scant information regarding these players as they actually fit into the teams, I just feel obligated to speak up about them.

I like reading mocks where I actually learn something I didn't know before. I don't like reading mocks that are exactly the same thing I've read at dozens of other places.

All of your opinions are perfectly valid, and we learn through debating. But I like for the mocker to provide some of that information at least.

:boxing:
2 - do you think bunkley goes at 8... or bills trade down?3 - i'm not comfortable with linking hali to rice & freeney... rice was the third overall pick in his draft & is much faster than hali coming off the edge... freeney was considered somewhat of a reach at the time at 1.11, but that was due to height concerns (he is 6'1"... rice is 6'5" for comparison), but in retrospect was a brilliant pick... he used to run close to a 4.4... so i think hali falls short of these guys in terms of pedigree & athleticism in case of rice & athleticism in case of freeney... hali is nowhere close to as fast as these guys... not to say he might not be a fine pro, & maybe even a star... but i wouldn't compare him to those two just yet... in which case you haven't made your point that he is a lead pipe cinch to be a difference maker like those guys, where marinelli absolutely HAS to take him at that spot, even if he thought huff could be a difference maker in the secondary for them.

4 - not trying to "change your mind"... just curious when it seems clear that deangelo can run inside & run outside... he is powerful & elusive... why you think he is precluded from being a BAL RB... can only big RBs run behind big OLs? didn't parcells have a pretty big OL when little joe morris ran behind it? if they like lewis so much, how come the FO & coaching staff aren't tripping over themselves to reup him? also, i was under the impression that they were pretty ticked off at him him for allegedly saying (i don't have link, but i think you know what i'm talking about) that he didn't feel like running hard because he wasn't happy with his contract situation... if he did say that, are you sure that is the kind of guy you are going to jump into a foxhole for... would he for you? i hear your opinions, but i don't get the sense of a lot of REASONS why deangelo couldn't possibly work behind that OL, & in that scheme & attack, which is odd given how much you took robinson to task for not explaining HIS reasons to your satisfaction in the mock.

5 - maybe a lot of mocks have pope going to CHI because their top TE is desmond clark, who is 29, his best days are behind him, & he wan't all that red hot to start with. pope would be a fantastic fit & a nice receiving weapon to add to aging muhammad & unproven or underwhelming bradley, gage & berrian (you haven't actually disputed this)... vernon davis will be LONG gone, pope tested better than mercedes lewis at combine... next best TE after davis where they pick... huge, massive physical specimen with athleticism who could be coached up into a nice dual threat as receiver & in-line blocker... it isn't a big secret that the bears like to run a lot... pretty easy to connect the dots as why pope MIGHT get taken here, & would pop up on a lot of mocks in this slot... hardly a shocker, or reason to invoke consensus laziness. its not like CHI has a whole lot of needs on the other side of the ball... they were the #1 scoring defense with a bullett, they are young, & almost everybody is locked up for next 2-3 years or longer.

6 - its hard to say at one & the same time that there is expected to be a lot of differences of opinion on player grades & values from 20-50... & at the same time there will definitively be better BPAs than mangold at 29?

7 - i still don't get why maroney can't succeed behind SEA OL, that he could only be a good fit in zone blocking schemes... you said yourself you can stick almost anybody there & they would suceed... he is big, strong, quick, fast, has moves... whats not to like? jones & hutch stove in that side of the DL & you run into the end zone... how hard can it be? :) maroney measured at 217 at the combine... just a few pounds shy of 220... is there really THAT much difference between 220 & 225? also, was alexander always 225 when he came out of alabama 6-7 years ago?

DL can be addressed in the 2nd round with someone like Ray Edwards, who I don't consider much of a drop-off from Hali. On the other hand, Huff is a much better prospect than the safeties in the 2nd round.
Actually, if Edwards problems with his coach were the coach's fault as some Purdue homers claim, then Edwards might be a steal in this draft. I think he has better physical tools than Hali. He even had some fun testing in the OLB drills and he looked very good. Better than any of the guys expected to make the conversion. He IS a better athlete than Hali. Hali is such a hard worker he is the safer pick, but I like Edwards' upside. Bloom noticed something in the Senior Bowl that I had briefly mentioned. I was praising Marcedes Lewis as a pass blocker. He is so disrespected in that regard, but he really scraps. Not once, but twice Lewis stoned Hali in man on man pass protection.

I'd say there is almost no chance that Dallas takes a first round WR.

I agree. No WR. I still hope for an OT, but you're probably right about this one. However, add Kamerion Wimbley to Dallas' list. They interviewed him at length also and may have him higher than Lawson. They had Ware higher than Merriman.

BTW MLB,

i don't mean to come off as a hali basher... i sometimes prefer the guys with great intangibles over a purely measurables-driven approach... its just that with mario slotted to go at 1.5 (or 1.6), we are talking about only a 3-4 pick gap between the two DEs... even if hali is the #2 DE (usa today post-combine positional analysis draft coverage kicked off with DL last wed... kamerion wembley has risen to #3, maybe the hip & trendy pick with tweeners ware & merriman doing so well as 3-4 LBs... i have heard him linked with DAL in first round as well as some of other players discussed above... i have to think a lot of scouts have kiwanuka higher, though his stock has seemed to be plummetting since senior bowl)... i think there is a bigger gap in talent between the two... in which case maybe they can trade down & still get hali...

but maybe i am splitting hairs... my favorite pick for rams at 1.11 would be vernon davis, who i think will more than likely be gone... i like huff second best, but he also could be off the board already... i like ernie sims a lot, but that might be too early (& his best pro position might be WLB, & they already have tinoisamoa there)... greenway could be a solid pick... i wouldn't object to him or hali at that point... maybe even jimmy williams if he gets vetted in his background check... my dream draft would be to trade down, maybe scoop up something like bing & d'qwell/hodge... or simms & best DL/DB with extra pick...

anyway, i wouldn't mind hali with 1.11, so we are only talking two spots from 1.9... :)

didn't mean to press issue about deangelo, but i am interested in what you have to say, but felt like you stopped short of giving reasons after summarily dismissing the idea... i got it that you are of opinion it is a scheme/skill set mismatch... but i don't understand any better than when we began the process... WHY?

I agree that Detroit can get Hali as far down as 1.13

There are a few teams that I am almost sure will be on the move on draft day: Detroit, Philadelphia, San Diego and Denver.

I just really see Detroit wanting Mario Williams. As publicly gung-ho as GB is on him, maybe they are bluffing? Who knows.... that DET has been so quiet and GB has been so animated has to be connected.

People called me crazy when I had Wimbley to DAL in a mock recently... so I'm glad that it's being corroborated by more draftnicks :)

I agree that Detroit can get Hali as far down as 1.13

There are a few teams that I am almost sure will be on the move on draft day: Detroit, Philadelphia, San Diego and Denver.

I just really see Detroit wanting Mario Williams. As publicly gung-ho as GB is on him, maybe they are bluffing? Who knows.... that DET has been so quiet and GB has been so animated has to be connected.

People called me crazy when I had Wimbley to DAL in a mock recently... so I'm glad that it's being corroborated by more draftnicks :)
I've been thinking about Detriot moving up for a while now. There are two trades that were touched on in this thread that I'm seriously contemplating in the mock that I'm working on.- Detroit #9 and 2nd round pick to NYJ for #4.

- Buffalo #8 to Baltimore for #13 and 3rd round pick.

In the first scenario, Detriot drafts Mario Williams and the Jets drop down to get much needed depth. In the second scenario I have Baltimore jumping in front of the Jets and Cards to take Cutler who slips. This latter scenario also allows the Bills to move down and take Bunkley at #13.

I'm still not sold on the ideas yet, but I've been mulling these around for a while.

by charles robinson of yahoo nfl... includes highlights of leinert & VY, as well as bush & deangelo... i saw some video of williams i hadn't seen before... he flashed some serious quicks... im coming around to grading williams ahead of white... use link to see highlights...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AqHH...=yhoo&type=lgns

Mock draft makeover

By Charles Robinson, Yahoo! Sports

March 1, 2006

Let the shuffling begin.

Vince Young is in silver and black, LenDale White is providing some thunder in the Arizona backfield and Vernon Davis is stepping into an already crowded St. Louis passing attack.

With the NFL's scouting combine in the books, the mock draft has been treated to a massive tune-up. This one reflects the drills, interviews and, of course, the skipped workouts that took place in Indianapolis over the last six days.

With free agency looming, the liquid nature of rosters means this landscape will be changing again in a few weeks. But for now, here are the adjustments made in the second installment of the mock draft.

18. Dallas Cowboys – Chad Jackson, WR, Florida. There are rumbles that the Cowboys may be looking to trade back to the end of the first round and select N.C. State's Manny Lawson, who will be moved to outside linebacker. If Dallas keeps this pick, the speedy Jackson provides an eventual replacement for the aging duo of Terry Glenn and Keyshawn Johnson. Clemson's Charlie Whitehurst is the quarterback the Cowboys are looking at in the middle rounds.
As a Cowboys fan let me say that I would be very happy if Chad Jackson were the pick @ 18. If however Dallas were able to trade down (get an additional 2nd this year or first next year) and still end up with Lawson I would be :excited: . I think that Lawson and Ware COULD team up to be an awesome force at OLB for the Cowboys for years to come. Interesting that in the build a franchise draft the Cowboys have both of them as well.

I've been thinking about Detriot moving up for a while now. There are two trades that were touched on in this thread that I'm seriously contemplating in the mock that I'm working on.

- Detroit #9 and 2nd round pick to NYJ for #4.

- Buffalo #8 to Baltimore for #13 and 3rd round pick.

In the first scenario, Detriot drafts Mario Williams and the Jets drop down to get much needed depth. In the second scenario I have Baltimore jumping in front of the Jets and Cards to take Cutler who slips. This latter scenario also allows the Bills to move down and take Bunkley at #13.

I'm still not sold on the ideas yet, but I've been mulling these around for a while.
I like Mario as much as anyone in the draft, but I wouldn't give up Huff and D'Qwell Jackson / Spencer / Cromartie to get him.Baltimore won't draft a QB early.

Users who are viewing this thread