What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Post rookie-draft waivers - IDP version (1 Viewer)

Hankmoody

Footballguy
Ok rookie drafts are over and waivers are kicking in now - who are you snagging that you didn't have enough picks for and stashing until September?  I play in mostly 16 man leagues, so our 8 round drafts go to 128 players.  A lot of these guys are going "late" in my leagues (many to me!), but that probably makes them FA's in most 12 man leagues.

Arden Key - yeah yeah a homer pick, but hey I loved the Raiders draft this year.  Huge potential payout given the cost here.  People are going to insist his ceiling is capped playing with Mack and that may be the case, but it's going to be a lot higher ceiling than most think.  He's not going to get 18 sacks as a rookie, but he could push double digits regularly once he's got some bulk and experience added.  The far bigger issue is his behavior and whether or not he can keep himself on the field.  But for a min bid waiver add I'm all in.  Actually, like Victor, I was all in on draft day, three times trading for an 8th round pick to select Key.  But he's probably undrafted in yours.

Jalyn Holmes - This one's a sneaky pick - /whisper he's listed at DT on MFL - he's got dual-role capability with the ability to set an edge and he's a good insider rusher when asked to reduce.  TOSU was absolutely loaded at DE and used him inside most of the time but make no mistake he's got the chops to play outside too.  The depth chart is nasty enough he may keep that DT designation but you might get enough snaps between DE and DT to really get a bargain.  Brian Robison is old and slow and getting older and slower so there should be rotational snaps available outside right away.

Tyquan Lewis - you'll accuse me of another homer pick, but this guy was drafted in Round 2, Pick 64 by a team transitioning to a 4-3 defense and in need of edge rushers.  That's a legit NFL pick and he has legit talent, yet he was not drafted before pick 96 in any of my drafts.  DE are very difficult to stack on a roster in my leagues so I'm giving myself a pass on not getting him.  He's still a FA in a few leagues though so I am probably going to take a swing with min bids.

Josh Sweat - "the next Clowney" at 18 years old, but he took a gruesome knee injury in high school (same as Bridgewater) and there's concern about long term stability (think Ajayi).  Nothing concrete, but once you get that "what if" tag it's there for life.  He left after 3 years of college because he wanted to get to his 2nd contract as early as possible.  I don't blame him given the perception of his knee.  If he's a 25 year old UFA with no lingering effects of the injury he could be in the Von Miller/Khaili Mack contract range.  4th rounder for Philly may have some tough sledding to get full time snaps right away in a very deep DL, but if that Clowney-level talent assessment is accurate he'll get on the field. 

Azeem Victor - a splash of homerism being a Raider but also a "price is right" guy for the risk/reward factor.  In the way-too-early versions of 2018 rankings from immediate post-2017 draft this guy was in the 1st round discussion.   Injuries and off-field decisions trashed his senior year and there are some questions about his tape, but the talent level is well above his current ADP.  He wasn't undrafted in my leagues because I took him in nearly all of them!  I believe he would have been undrafted in the vast majority though, I took him 121, 115, 123, and 91.

Nick DeLuca - nasty landing spot to go where a rookie stud just did plus a vet that has put up some very big season but this is the kind of guy that always seems to find his way onto the field and once he does is always around the ball.

Jack Cichy - talk about nasty landing spots, this is a loaded LB corp. Cichy is likely to need a year to recover from surgery so that gives plenty of time for things to happen in front of him.  If your league has an IR or taxi rule to take advantage of he might be a candidate.  Because if he ever does get on the field, he's a gamer.  Like DeLuca he's not this incredible physical specimen, but every time you look up he's untangling himself from the pile with his arms around some part of the RB.

Shaun Dion-Hamilton - I try to keep track of Alabama LB's.  He ended up in Washington which has produced some very nice numbers, frequently from two guys.  Zach Brown is a stud but Mason Foster and Vigil have put up LB3 numbers next to him, and they aren't anything special.  Should WAS decide to get younger/cheaper with their JAG LB spot this kid might get playing time.  He can definitely hold up in the run game and if they can just find a way to not get him too exposed in coverage shouldn't hold them back.

Marcus Allen - Edmunds may be tagged for Big Nickel duty which might open up snaps at SS for Allen.  Allen's a thumper that can play in this league.

Mike Hughes - I like him in CB-leagues that award return yardage.  His spot isn't great for getting immediate snaps but Terrance Newmans is old as dirt so snaps at slot may open up and return yards prop up his floor really well.  Jaire Alexander and Josh Jackson are similar profiles but guessing which one might get returns in in GB might be futile.  Probably have to wait to see how it's happening on the field and by then someone else might have jumped.  Not losing sleep over those guys.

Damon Webb - UDFA with the Titans, and here's a nugget - his college DB coach was hired by TEN this offseason and his new head coach is a former Buckeye too.  He's got a bit of Donte Whitner in him, he's a former cover guy that moved inside and put on bulk, he's now 5' 11" 210 so he's got the chops to play SS.  Webb isn't taking snaps from Byard but Cyprien is as close a thing as there is to a 2-down thumper at S and Bri has talked a lot about TEN playing 3 safeties but having no clue how the personnel will fall.  I'm not adding Webb yet but I am watching this one closely. 

Last edited by a moderator:
If there's one from that list it's Sweat, but I jist don't think he gets enough snaps. 

I have Allen on my watch lists as well as Kyzir White from the other thread. 

I grabbed Lewis in a few drafts; like you I like the opportunity.  Great post, I will add some names tomorrow.   :ph34r:

Edit - turns out I didn't have as many late-round IDP dart throws as I thought I did.  :lol:   Perhaps I'll scour the wire to see if there's any names - not already thrown out there - that I can add.

OK screw it how about this... here's some names drafted in the 7th/8th rounds of all my drafts that I like:

Donte Jackson (CB - CAR):  Especially for those leagues that break out S/CB from "DB", I am a fan of Jackson.  I think he pushes for nickel duty right away and could be the CB2 opposite a very underrated James Bradberry at some point.  He'll be tested - the good ol' "rookie corner" rule - from the outset and could be a guy who gets plenty of passes defensed and tackles to boot.

Kyzir White (LB - SDC):  Here's another one of those "defensive joker" types that will split time as a LB as well as a DB.  There are tackles to be had for the Bolts and White is a plus athlete (brother of Kevin) who could see immediate playing time.  Next Deon Bucannon?

Shaquem Griffin (LB - SEA):  I'm not putting anything past this cat.  KJ Wright is a free agent in 2019 and if Griffin is as disruptive as he was in college, he could start on the outside.  Worth a dart throw at the end of your draft or grab him for a buck in FA.

Armani Watts (S - KCC):  Big time playmaker that doesn't have much ahead of him in terms of talent in KC.  4-year starter on a pretty decent TA&M defense.

Tegray Scales (LB - LAR):  A bit undersized but was 1st-team All Big 10 at Indiana and showed sideline-to-sideline playmaking ability.  Micah Kizer is going to get first crack - probably - but don't discount Scales.  Plus you can get Scales in FA; Kizer, probably not.

Christian Sam (LB - NEP):  Counting on NEP LBs is a lot like counting on their RBs.  It can be frustrating, but they do make lemonade out of lemons sometimes.  Sam has starter-level qualities, especially as a run defender.  Could be a cheap source of tackles in a year or two and can also make some big plays.  A stasher for sure.

Skai Moore (LB - IND):  Real dart throw here but is a great 'backer against the pass and had impressive college numbers after suffering a herniated disc.  Probably not good enough of an athlete to ever be a stud, but might be servicable at some point, especially if fellow rookie Zaire Franklin isn't able to duplicate his gaudy college numbers.

Trey Flowers (CB - SEA):  Was a college safety, but profiles better as a corner in Seattle's scheme.  He'll be buried depth-chart-wise but Pete Carroll has had good things to say about him and could be something in a couple years. 

Kenny Young (LB - BAL):  I'll finish this list off with a potential beast... if anything ever happens to CJ Mosely that is.  Young is a playmaker with instincts and sideline-to-sideline range.  4.6 40 with a 36-inch vertical.  There's not much else in his way to serve as the #2 MLB for the Ravens.  Draft/add and stash.

Zaire Franklin is an athletic beast too. If you’re going to list Moore (rightfully so) I think he should just share that spot with Franklin as watchlist type guys if you start hearing rumblings in camp.

Bojang0301 said:
Zaire Franklin is an athletic beast too. If you’re going to list Moore (rightfully so) I think he should just share that spot with Franklin as watchlist type guys if you start hearing rumblings in camp.
Definitely.  I was just listing guys you could get on the cheap.  Have you seen Franklin available at the ends of drafts or in FA?  I would have to go back and look but I think he was going earlier in mine.  Maybe I'm misremembering.   :confused:

Skai Moore (LB - IND):  Real dart throw here but is a great 'backer against the pass and had impressive college numbers after suffering a herniated disc.  Probably not good enough of an athlete to ever be a stud, but might be servicable at some point, especially if fellow rookie Zaire Franklin isn't able to duplicate his gaudy college numbers.
Yeah, why not?  I dunno if I can justify a roster spot, but it's a guy with a pretty great opportunity for a UDFA.  Good guy to search for on Twitter during training camp.  

EDIT:

Annnnnd, after a quick Twitter search:

If you asked 10 people to guess at a linebacker depth chart for this team, you’d likely get 10 different combinations. That’s how little certainty there is about the position after the Colts’ recent change in defensive scheme. No one seems to have any sense how the position will look this fall.

And that includes coach Frank Reich and his staff.

“At all positions, but especially at the linebacker position, when you’re in OTAs and you don’t have pads on, and it’s not live, it really is just a rep chart,” Reich said (a rep chart is a guide that divides the number of practice snaps evenly to ensure everyone gets enough work).

“I really think it’ll play itself out once we get the pads on. I think you’ll see the depth chart start to come into focus. We’re just waiting to see who that’s going to be. And usually, on defense, that happens a lot. There’s just some guys who have that instinct.”

You can look at this in one of two ways. You can react with concern because it appears the Colts don’t have obvious frontrunners for their three linebacker positions. Or, as the Colts appear to be doing, you can choose to sit back and watch the competition heat up and hope it forges better performances.

About the only thing clear from watching practice is that the Colts are casting a wide net. That rep chart Reich spoke of seems to be dictating that late-round picks and undrafted rookies like Skai Moore, Matthew Adams and Zaire Franklin get as many reps as 2017 draft pick Anthony Walker and veteran free-agent signing Najee Goode.

There’s just not a lot of separation right now, which — if you adhere to Reich’s way of thinking — is typical for OTAs.

But that doesn’t mean there aren’t some intriguing players and some notable performances.

While we still haven’t seen second-round pick Darius Leonard, who remains sidelined with an undisclosed injury, Moore has been a bit of a head-turner. The undrafted free agent from South Carolina is spending a lot of time at middle linebacker and continues to show his coverage instincts. That’s a big responsibility of the middle linebacker in the new defensive system the Colts are employing. Moore on Thursday jumped a route and came away with an interception off quarterback Phillip Walker that he returned for a touchdown.

It’s not clear why Moore went undrafted. He’s got a heck of a resume, making first-team All-Southeastern Conference last season and tying a South Carolina school record with 14 career interceptions. Remember, this guy’s a linebacker. As Reich said, we still need to see him and others with the pads on. It could make everything Moore has shown so far moot. But, for now, he’s a player worth watching.

Others worth mentioning are Tyrell Adams, a three-year veteran picked up this offseason who has been spending significant time at the weak-side and Anthony Walker, who is a contender at middle linebacker. Goode is a wildcard, able to play any spot. He’s bounced around in recent practices.

There aren’t a lot of firm answers at linebacker right now. But here’s what we do know: No position on this roster is more wide open.

I just added Zaire to my watch list. Both copies are still available in my league, it’s 32 teams full idp, no taxi squad, but right now we have 10 extra roster spots, mostly filled with long shot offensive guys. 

I haven’t seen Franklin or Moore get much play. I need to branch outside of my long term dynasty leagues though. Those guys are sharp but have fallen a bit behind in keeping up with things. Before the draft I would have had Leonard behind both of them and have no Leonard stock probably based off that predraft ranking holding pretty firm into rookie drafts. I haven’t taken much of a shot on Walker either. Obviously there is an opportunity, I may be asleep at the wheel myself.

Definitely.  I was just listing guys you could get on the cheap.  Have you seen Franklin available at the ends of drafts or in FA?  I would have to go back and look but I think he was going earlier in mine.  Maybe I'm misremembering.   :confused:
Only drafted in one of my leagues - 128.  Last pick of a 16 man.

What do you think of Dorian O'Daniel? I have been hearing some good things about him.
what have you heard?  links?

it looks like he's pretty buried, albeit behind guys like reggie ragland who have disappointed and anthony hitchens, who's been a spot duty kinda guy

Recently picked up Ramik Wilson, however Kiser is available on waivers as well.  Which of these two should I hold onto for now?  Only have room for one.

Recently picked up Ramik Wilson, however Kiser is available on waivers as well.  Which of these two should I hold onto for now?  Only have room for one.
Wilson has a better chance to play this year.  Kiser has a better chance of being meaningful in (multiple) future years.  It's not a high % but at this point Wilson's upside isn't more than a placeholder/injury plan B, so the unknown with little chance of panning out is more valuable than known mediocrity.  He was gift wrapped an opportunity in KC and the Chefs went out of their way not to play him.  Now, if he were coming from a terrible coaching staff it'd be one thing, players sometimes need that change of scenery to get out from a bad situation, but how many players who were not productive under Andy Reid went elsewhere and were successful?

I'd add Kiser, hope he becomes a potential keeper/tradeable asset 9 months from now, don't plan to play him in the meantime, and add Wilson to my watch list.

Shariff Finch. One of if not the highest paid udfa. If Dodd is gone, he probably just made the rotation.

Ok rookie drafts are over and waivers are kicking in now - who are you snagging that you didn't have enough picks for and stashing until September?  I play in mostly 16 man leagues, so our 8 round drafts go to 128 players.  A lot of these guys are going "late" in my leagues (many to me!), but that probably makes them FA's in most 12 man leagues.

Arden Key - yeah yeah a homer pick, but hey I loved the Raiders draft this year.  Huge potential payout given the cost here.  People are going to insist his ceiling is capped playing with Mack and that may be the case, but it's going to be a lot higher ceiling than most think.  He's not going to get 18 sacks as a rookie, but he could push double digits regularly once he's got some bulk and experience added.  The far bigger issue is his behavior and whether or not he can keep himself on the field.  But for a min bid waiver add I'm all in.  Actually, like Victor, I was all in on draft day, three times trading for an 8th round pick to select Key.  But he's probably undrafted in yours.

Jalyn Holmes - This one's a sneaky pick - /whisper he's listed at DT on MFL - he's got dual-role capability with the ability to set an edge and he's a good insider rusher when asked to reduce.  TOSU was absolutely loaded at DE and used him inside most of the time but make no mistake he's got the chops to play outside too.  The depth chart is nasty enough he may keep that DT designation but you might get enough snaps between DE and DT to really get a bargain.  Brian Robison is old and slow and getting older and slower so there should be rotational snaps available outside right away.

Tyquan Lewis - you'll accuse me of another homer pick, but this guy was drafted in Round 2, Pick 64 by a team transitioning to a 4-3 defense and in need of edge rushers.  That's a legit NFL pick and he has legit talent, yet he was not drafted before pick 96 in any of my drafts.  DE are very difficult to stack on a roster in my leagues so I'm giving myself a pass on not getting him.  He's still a FA in a few leagues though so I am probably going to take a swing with min bids.

Josh Sweat - "the next Clowney" at 18 years old, but he took a gruesome knee injury in high school (same as Bridgewater) and there's concern about long term stability (think Ajayi).  Nothing concrete, but once you get that "what if" tag it's there for life.  He left after 3 years of college because he wanted to get to his 2nd contract as early as possible.  I don't blame him given the perception of his knee.  If he's a 25 year old UFA with no lingering effects of the injury he could be in the Von Miller/Khaili Mack contract range.  4th rounder for Philly may have some tough sledding to get full time snaps right away in a very deep DL, but if that Clowney-level talent assessment is accurate he'll get on the field. 

Azeem Victor - a splash of homerism being a Raider but also a "price is right" guy for the risk/reward factor.  In the way-too-early versions of 2018 rankings from immediate post-2017 draft this guy was in the 1st round discussion.   Injuries and off-field decisions trashed his senior year and there are some questions about his tape, but the talent level is well above his current ADP.  He wasn't undrafted in my leagues because I took him in nearly all of them!  I believe he would have been undrafted in the vast majority though, I took him 121, 115, 123, and 91.

Nick DeLuca - nasty landing spot to go where a rookie stud just did plus a vet that has put up some very big season but this is the kind of guy that always seems to find his way onto the field and once he does is always around the ball.

Jack Cichy - talk about nasty landing spots, this is a loaded LB corp. Cichy is likely to need a year to recover from surgery so that gives plenty of time for things to happen in front of him.  If your league has an IR or taxi rule to take advantage of he might be a candidate.  Because if he ever does get on the field, he's a gamer.  Like DeLuca he's not this incredible physical specimen, but every time you look up he's untangling himself from the pile with his arms around some part of the RB.

Shaun Dion-Hamilton - I try to keep track of Alabama LB's.  He ended up in Washington which has produced some very nice numbers, frequently from two guys.  Zach Brown is a stud but Mason Foster and Vigil have put up LB3 numbers next to him, and they aren't anything special.  Should WAS decide to get younger/cheaper with their JAG LB spot this kid might get playing time.  He can definitely hold up in the run game and if they can just find a way to not get him too exposed in coverage shouldn't hold them back.

Marcus Allen - Edmunds may be tagged for Big Nickel duty which might open up snaps at SS for Allen.  Allen's a thumper that can play in this league.

Mike Hughes - I like him in CB-leagues that award return yardage.  His spot isn't great for getting immediate snaps but Terrance Newmans is old as dirt so snaps at slot may open up and return yards prop up his floor really well.  Jaire Alexander and Josh Jackson are similar profiles but guessing which one might get returns in in GB might be futile.  Probably have to wait to see how it's happening on the field and by then someone else might have jumped.  Not losing sleep over those guys.

Damon Webb - UDFA with the Titans, and here's a nugget - his college DB coach was hired by TEN this offseason and his new head coach is a former Buckeye too.  He's got a bit of Donte Whitner in him, he's a former cover guy that moved inside and put on bulk, he's now 5' 11" 210 so he's got the chops to play SS.  Webb isn't taking snaps from Byard but Cyprien is as close a thing as there is to a 2-down thumper at S and Bri has talked a lot about TEN playing 3 safeties but having no clue how the personnel will fall.  I'm not adding Webb yet but I am watching this one closely. 
I agree its not capped I disagree with people saying it is....  being opposite a guy who is gonna be doubled a lot, gives player X (key) whoever to have a lot of one on one opportunities.

https://raiderswire.usatoday.com/2018/07/30/raiders-bruce-irvin-provides-cautionary-tale-for-rookie-de-arden-key/

Name to file away for dynasty.

5 Browns who have shined through 5 days of training camp

LB Genard Avery: The rookie from Memphis hardly looks like a youngster. Avery, a fifth-round pick this past spring, has earned some first-team repetitions as the Browns carefully work veteran Jamie Collins (who's coming off a season-ending knee injury) back into the starting lineup. Trust that Avery, a former powerlifter with quick feet, will find a role on this team.

“He’s a guy that, I think that if he continues to keep the work ethic that he has, the sky's the limit,” linebacker Christian Kirksey said. “He’s consistently asking questions in the meeting room; that’s showing that he’s attentive. He’s always sticking around older guys, just trying to get more and more knowledge of the game. He came back bigger, but less body fat. It goes to show you that he’s really in tune to his work ethic, he’s really in tune to his work out. I think he’s going to be good. He’s one of the bright spots.”

Good info, probably league specific.  I can't hold LB's for 2-3 years on taxi, spots are too valuable.  Collins and Kirksey make a ton of money and if they aren't getting premium return they won't stick around long when there's a cheap guy waiting in the wings so those that can wait may get a payoff.
I think the %'s are low for a variety of reasons, but if the Browns want to get out of the Collins contract next year they can.  I'm not adding Avery because I think he's a special teamer only this year until something happens to some combination of the 4 in front of him (and/or the DC) and like you said taxi spots are valuable.  He's near the top of my watch list though - stuff happens then I'll speculate.  And if stuff doesn't happen then he may be one of my top priority speculative adds late in the season.  

Watching this one a little closer now.

Users who are viewing this thread