What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Preseason fact of the year so far (1 Viewer)

ppierce

Footballguy
I heard this on a fbg podcast last night from I think Sigmund Bloom.

"Despite the disastrous season that CJ had last year, he still finished right around a top 10 RB in most ppr leagues."

I double checked his facts in my league and he was right. CJ finished #11 in my .5 ppr league. I'd imagine he would be higher if it were a full point ppr.

Either way, the perception out there was that CJ was an utter disaster last year. Of course, based on where most drafted him they perceive it to be a disaster and I get that. However, when you check the facts, he wasnt.

That goes to show that barring injury, CJ's floor is essentially top 10 RB in ppr leagues. And that was after he came in after a holdout, out of shape, with a new offense to learn.

I heard this on a fbg podcast last night from I think Sigmund Bloom."Despite the disastrous season that CJ had last year, he still finished right around a top 10 RB in most ppr leagues."I double checked his facts in my league and he was right. CJ finished #11 in my .5 ppr league. I'd imagine he would be higher if it were a full point ppr.Either way, the perception out there was that CJ was an utter disaster last year. Of course, based on where most drafted him they perceive it to be a disaster and I get that. However, when you check the facts, he wasnt. That goes to show that barring injury, CJ's floor is essentially top 10 RB in ppr leagues. And that was after he came in after a holdout, out of shape, with a new offense to learn.
That's a pretty short-sighted way of looking at it.Another Fact of last season is that he had 8 (HALF) games where he scored 9 points or less and that is NOT what you want from guy you probaby picked 7-12 overall.Another fact is that if you looked at his PPG and eliminate some of the feast or famine nature of his output, he ranked #19 among RBs. Again, not what you want from a 1st round pick. that's why people say he was a disaster. he's a butterface that wrecked teams when they saw what he was upclose.

I heard this on a fbg podcast last night from I think Sigmund Bloom."Despite the disastrous season that CJ had last year, he still finished right around a top 10 RB in most ppr leagues."I double checked his facts in my league and he was right. CJ finished #11 in my .5 ppr league. I'd imagine he would be higher if it were a full point ppr.Either way, the perception out there was that CJ was an utter disaster last year. Of course, based on where most drafted him they perceive it to be a disaster and I get that. However, when you check the facts, he wasnt. That goes to show that barring injury, CJ's floor is essentially top 10 RB in ppr leagues. And that was after he came in after a holdout, out of shape, with a new offense to learn.
That's a pretty short-sighted way of looking at it.Another Fact of last season is that he had 8 (HALF) games where he scored 9 points or less and that is NOT what you want from guy you probaby picked 7-12 overall.Another fact is that if you looked at his PPG and eliminate some of the feast or famine nature of his output, he ranked #19 among RBs. Again, not what you want from a 1st round pick. that's why people say he was a disaster. he's a butterface that wrecked teams when they saw what he was upclose.
Eliminate all top 10 rb's huge games and all their ppg's go down .Thats a silly argument.

"Despite the disastrous season that CJ had last year, he still finished right around a top 10 RB in most ppr leagues."

I double checked his facts in my league and he was right. CJ finished #11 in my .5 ppr league. I'd imagine he would be higher if it were a full point ppr.

Either way, the perception out there was that CJ was an utter disaster last year. Of course, based on where most drafted him they perceive it to be a disaster and I get that. However, when you check the facts, he wasnt.

That goes to show that barring injury, CJ's floor is essentially top 10 RB in ppr leagues. And that was after he came in after a holdout, out of shape, with a new offense to learn.
That's a pretty short-sighted way of looking at it.Another Fact of last season is that he had 8 (HALF) games where he scored 9 points or less and that is NOT what you want from guy you probaby picked 7-12 overall.

Another fact is that if you looked at his PPG and eliminate some of the feast or famine nature of his output, he ranked #19 among RBs. Again, not what you want from a 1st round pick.

that's why people say he was a disaster. he's a butterface that wrecked teams when they saw what he was upclose.
Fact: this is hilarious

Idk how anyone could say its a disaster...

You drafted a top 10 back and he finish top 10.

Normally 50% of the top 10 backs fall out of the top 10, last years it was like 70%. All RBs not named Mccoy, Rice or Foster had bad years.

Idk how anyone could say its a disaster...You drafted a top 10 back and he finish top 10.Normally 50% of the top 10 backs fall out of the top 10, last years it was like 70%. All RBs not named Mccoy, Rice or Foster had bad years.
THISSo if an out of shape Chris Johnson, coming out of a holdout, in a new offense, can finish top 10. Where does an in shape, rededicated, Chris Johnson with a better QB and improved O line finish?Bottom line is people are giving more respect to guys like Jamaal Charles and ADP, coming off knee blowouts, than they are CJ. CJ is ranked higher but there are a ton of people who would have problems taking CJ based off of last year, yet would have no issues drafting Charles and ADP in the 2nd or 3rd.

Idk how anyone could say its a disaster...You drafted a top 10 back and he finish top 10.Normally 50% of the top 10 backs fall out of the top 10, last years it was like 70%. All RBs not named Mccoy, Rice or Foster had bad years.
It was a disaster because fantasy football is a weekly game we spend too much time focusing on end of the yr totals. A player who is famous for this is OchoCinco even in his hay day he would have 4 or 5 huge games the rest mediocre but when u looked at his yr end stats looks like he had a great season! Last yr I had Fitz on the surface looks like he had a great season but as a fitz owner you def did not feel that as a matter of fact most wks i had to debate weather to start him or not

That's a pretty short-sighted way of looking at it.Another Fact of last season is that he had 8 (HALF) games where he scored 9 points or less and that is NOT what you want from guy you probaby picked 7-12 overall.

Another fact is that if you looked at his PPG and eliminate some of the feast or famine nature of his output, he ranked #19 among RBs. Again, not what you want from a 1st round pick.

that's why people say he was a disaster. he's a butterface that wrecked teams when they saw what he was upclose.
Look it up..Of course your scoring system may vary slightly but its all right there.

Tell us how you really feel Mr. "i drafted CJ last year"

It took him half the season to get into shape and used to the new offense.
Four of those 8 games of single digit production occurred in the second half of the season.Maybe another way of thinking of Johnson is THIS: If he was TRULY CLEARLY worthy of such a top pick, why is he EASILY the most discussed and debated RB in FF each and every year? Its because he's NOT TRULY AND CLEARLY an easy guy to pick that high.

It was a disaster because fantasy football is a weekly game we spend too much time focusing on end of the yr totals. A player who is famous for this is OchoCinco even in his hay day he would have 4 or 5 huge games the rest mediocre but when u looked at his yr end stats looks like he had a great season! Last yr I had Fitz on the surface looks like he had a great season but as a fitz owner you def did not feel that as a matter of fact most wks i had to debate weather to start him or not
I drafted him and started him every week.My teams wins didnt hinge on one player getting 40 points...

Last edited by a moderator:
Umm, Ithat is truly what I know and I have never owned Chris Johnson in any league I have ever played in. But the fact that you automatically assume such a thing reinforces my statements because you thought I was frustrated with him. In order to be frustrated with him, you have to be given a reason to be frustrated. What I know is based off a simple myfantasyleague lookup of production in total, by game, and PPG and supported by the literally DOZENS of "Chris Johnson, WTF!", "CJ2k @$@#!", and "IS CHRIS JOHNSON EVEN PLAYING TODAY?!" threads that littered the board all year last year...and the year before that.

In my non-PPR league last year, he was 17th best RB, and was drafted fourth overall. His three best weeks came in week 10 or later, after the playoff teams were pretty well defined. For a high first round pick, it was a disaster.

RB16 non-ppr

RB22 ppg

PPG is a key stat here. ANY starting running back that plays 16 games is going to finish high. There are quite a few guys "behind" him in total points that were much more valuable fantasy players last year.

For comparison, some other guys that played in all 16 games last year and finished right around CJ.

13. Reggie Bush

16. Chris Johnson

18. Shonn Greene

22. Mike Tolbert

23. Benjarvis Green-Ellis

That's not exactly elite company there.

Further, guys like Ahmad Bradshaw and Beanie Wells scored within a few points of CJ despite playing fewer games (12 and 14, respectively), which is pretty bad considering those guys aren't even expected to perform that well even when playing all 16 games.

I'd like to use this opportunity to suggest an automatic month-long ban anytime any poster says you should remove outlier stats from analysis. To me, this is the #1 mortal sin of any statistical analysis, especially football.

It kind of sounds like shutout says that he eliminated games to arrive at the #19 in RB ppg, but he did not.In my PPR league, C.Johnson was #9 overall, but #18 in PPG.

You won't find a bigger CJ2K proponent than me. I have him entrenched as my the #4 RB on my board and anticipate he will be my top RB target in my auction.

That said he was AWFUL last year. Unlike most of Chad Johnson's prime years when his inconsistency was overstated and not based on facts, the inconsistent label on CJ last year was well earned.

Actually, he was consistent. Consistently bad.

He gained 55% of his rushing yardage in 25% of his starts.

Other than his 4 big games, he averaged 39 yards PER GAME

So in 75% of his starts he basically gave you horrid production.

He only scored 4 TDs all year.

He was so bad in 6 of the first 8 games of the year that many people had them on their bench when he finally did have a small stretch of production.

Then he gave owners NOTHING down the stretch and in the FF playoffs.

The fact that he finished top 10 is mostly a testament to how weak a year it was for RBs and he was able to have decent receiving numbers. People say numbers don't lie. Without looking at them in context, numbers lie all of the time.

So let's not act like he was anything but THE SUCK last year. Because he was.

But that was last year with the holdout. This year is a new year and again, I'm high on him.

So if given the choice, do you risk CJ's lack of production with a high pick, or Dmac's injury history with a high pick?

It kind of sounds like shutout says that he eliminated games to arrive at the #19 in RB ppg, but he did not.In my PPR league, C.Johnson was #9 overall, but #18 in PPG.
Exactly. Maybe we should take this time to institute a month-log ban for posters who don't take the time read, comprehend or, heaven forbid, check what someone is saying before they pounce on them, huh Clifford? :)

So if given the choice, do you risk CJ's lack of production with a high pick, or Dmac's injury history with a high pick?
I go CJ. DMac has always been an injury risk and always will be until proven otherwise.CJ hasn't always been a lousy first round pick. He's only one year removed from being great.

Chris Johnson looks "ok" last year because a ton of guys got hurt. On a per game basis (or per quarter if you read the new FBG article), CJ2K was awful.

Normally 50% of the top 10 backs fall out of the top 10, last years it was like 70%. All RBs not named Mccoy, Rice or Foster had bad years.
I drafted him and started him every week.My teams wins didnt hinge on one player getting 40 points...
Liked him so much you said this:
2 Keeper league, I have Rice CJ2K and Charles, im gonna deal Charles or CJ2K for the highest bid. I could care less which one I keep, I like CJ2K more than Charles.

Crying to myself that I couldnt beat Megatron with Rice, CJ2K, Charles, Larry Fitzgerald, Wes Welker and Gronkowski...
Admit it. If you go back and look at what he was doing for you every week last year when you were starting him every week, there was half a year when you probably regretted starting him those weeks.

I think the EOY stats are very misleading in this case. He was REALLY bad for most of last year. His end of year ranking in my non-ppr was 16th last year, but through week 11, he was the 25th highest scoring back. Over that same period he was 31st in ppg. He was a complete liability. Chances are he was on your bench when he finally had a few good games near the end of the season. Maybe you caught his big performance in week 13 only to be rewarded with a 6 in the first round of the playoffs.

If going with the high pick, DMAC (and I'm not the biggest DMAC pimp either). But given the two, at least I know what Im getting on the weeks I wake up and DMAC is playing. I'd rather play DMAC when I have him than miss the boat feeling i MUST start CJ every week and getting 7.75 points half the time.

Or Forte's risk of vulturing with Bush...

Or Fjax's risk of an emerging Spiller and hitting the upper years

You get the picture...outside the top three the risk is spread around and there a few to no sure bets. CJ is as good a bet as any in the 1st outside MJD

I would rather roll with DMAC for 14 games who could be top 3 in points over 16 games instead of CJ who will have 4 mediocre games for every 150 yard 2 TD game.

Liked him so much you said this:
2 Keeper league, I have Rice CJ2K and Charles, im gonna deal Charles or CJ2K for the highest bid. I could care less which one I keep, I like CJ2K more than Charles.

Crying to myself that I couldnt beat Megatron with Rice, CJ2K, Charles, Larry Fitzgerald, Wes Welker and Gronkowski...
Admit it. If you go back and look at what he was doing for you every week last year when you were starting him every week, there was half a year when you probably regretted starting him those weeks.
Admit that I was bitter after losing in the playoffs with the best team ive ever assembled to just megatron?I thought that was pretty clear. The reason I had to deal Charles or CJ2K in that league is I couldnt keep either if I kept Ray Rice, with the 8th pick in that league im not getting either back after keepers...

But I traded Welker and my 8th for the 2nd first round pick, you know what for?

For Chris Johnson...

Fun fact, I lost that game by 0.2 pts, Baltimore had over a minute and a half left to play, and they pulled Rice from the game.

I disagree with BOTH sentiments that seem to be prevailing in this thread.

People are acting like Johnson did not have a relatively horrible year for a 1st round pick last season. HE DID.

Other people are acting like because he had a bad year coming off a holdout that he will be bad again or suggesting that he be labeled as inconsistent based on one bad year out of the 4 he's been in the league. One of which was one of the better all time statistical seasons for a NFL RB.

How about he was bad last year but there are multiple reasons to believe he will be very good this year.

Im just curious why people are so quick to throw a guy under the bus for having a year of bad PPG.

But jump all over any RB coming off injury that blew up right before he literally blew up.

The most backwards logic in fantasy football.

Week to week consistency is so overrated. Theres no way to predict it from year to year. Last years consistency is out the window, its a new year.

I'm not sure I follow your logic here. Chris Johnson has trended downward each of the past 3 seasons:2009: 2509 total yards, 16 TDs

2010: 1609 total yards, 12 TDs

2011: 1465 total yards, 4 TDs

Correct me if I'm wrong, but your logic seems to be: "Despite the fact that hes gotten worse every year the past 3 years, since we can label last year as 'disastrous' we can therefore assume that is his floor." I don't really understand why labeling last year 'disastrous' means that his downward trend necessarily will stop this year.

I'm not sure I follow your logic here. Chris Johnson has trended downward each of the past 3 seasons:2009: 2509 total yards, 16 TDs

Correct me if I'm wrong, but your logic seems to be: "Despite the fact that hes gotten worse every year the past 3 years, since we can label last year as 'disastrous' we can therefore assume that is his floor." I don't really understand why labeling last year 'disastrous' means that his downward trend necessarily will stop this year.
One season he trended downward from the previous year in which he set a NFL record for yards from scrimmage. Almost every player in NFL history has done this after setting a record.The next season he trended downward from a very good year after an extended and ugly holdout, which is another ominous sign for FF success.

At the age of 26 and with a full off-season why would expect him to continue to trend downward from what was a bad season for him?

I don't think his total points has ever been the issue. It's the woeful consistency.
Yup. As an owner (last year) in ppr, he caught enough balls to be around a low end rb2 most weeks, but he was only a legit force for a couple of games in the 2nd half. Personally, I was out of it by the time he started going off. His top 10 ranking was heavily inflated by a hot streak, when if memory serves me, he went over 130 yards in 3 out of 4 games (I think he snuck in a stinker vs Atlanta in there).

Chris Johnson looks "ok" last year because a ton of guys got hurt. On a per game basis (or per quarter if you read the new FBG article), CJ2K was awful.
Has the NFL released a memo stating that 2012 will be an injury-free year for running backs?I must have missed it

Well, I think you are wrong Assani,2009 was a record (can only go up from there, right?)

2010 Fisher was fired for being ineffective and predictable on offense (could mean something for RBs, no)

2011 Lockout, Holdout, New Coach/Offense, Bad shape... Reasons/excuses many

2012 - none of the above applies, unless there is another record - trends, really?

Personally not scared of CJ at 1.06

Umm, Ithat is truly what I know and I have never owned Chris Johnson in any league I have ever played in. But the fact that you automatically assume such a thing reinforces my statements because you thought I was frustrated with him. In order to be frustrated with him, you have to be given a reason to be frustrated. What I know is based off a simple myfantasyleague lookup of production in total, by game, and PPG and supported by the literally DOZENS of "Chris Johnson, WTF!", "CJ2k @$@#!", and "IS CHRIS JOHNSON EVEN PLAYING TODAY?!" threads that littered the board all year last year...and the year before that.
haha calm down there. I was just refering to how angry you went off on him there. CJ's a solid pick this year... coveted by many. Is he the 4th pick? No, but I see good value for him around 5-8. Don't scream at me.

'hotboyz said:
'Run It Up said:
Yeah especially when you got so fed up you benched him for Bowe and he went off against the eagles...

Their schedule looks brutal too. I am selling CJ1K. Plus with a young QB, team will be stacking the box. Pass for me. At #7, I am looking at DMC or Forte.

'FreeBaGeL said:
RB16 non-pprRB22 ppgPPG is a key stat here. ANY starting running back that plays 16 games is going to finish high. There are quite a few guys "behind" him in total points that were much more valuable fantasy players last year.For comparison, some other guys that played in all 16 games last year and finished right around CJ.13. Reggie Bush16. Chris Johnson18. Shonn Greene22. Mike Tolbert23. Benjarvis Green-EllisThat's not exactly elite company there.Further, guys like Ahmad Bradshaw and Beanie Wells scored within a few points of CJ despite playing fewer games (12 and 14, respectively), which is pretty bad considering those guys aren't even expected to perform that well even when playing all 16 games.
:goodposting:

'VaTerp said:
.How about he was bad last year but there are multiple reasons to believe he will be very good this year.
I agree. I also think that the explosiveness CJ showed in the last preseason game (2 impressive TD runs) will bump him further up the board to the RB4/5 for many, including me. I had him high to begin with though

'rascal said:
'King of the Jungle said:
Another consideration (as David pointed out in another thread) was his horrible performance with Locker at the helm.
This hasn't been addressed and its my biggest concern.
I could have sworn I read somewhere that CJ's numbers were better with a mobile QB-Young and Locker. I wish I could remember where I read it, I'll try to dig it up

'VaTerp said:
You won't find a bigger CJ2K proponent than me. I have him entrenched as my the #4 RB on my board and anticipate he will be my top RB target in my auction.That said he was AWFUL last year. Unlike most of Chad Johnson's prime years when his inconsistency was overstated and not based on facts, the inconsistent label on CJ last year was well earned. Actually, he was consistent. Consistently bad.He gained 55% of his rushing yardage in 25% of his starts.Other than his 4 big games, he averaged 39 yards PER GAMESo in 75% of his starts he basically gave you horrid production.He only scored 4 TDs all year.He was so bad in 6 of the first 8 games of the year that many people had them on their bench when he finally did have a small stretch of production.Then he gave owners NOTHING down the stretch and in the FF playoffs.The fact that he finished top 10 is mostly a testament to how weak a year it was for RBs and he was able to have decent receiving numbers. People say numbers don't lie. Without looking at them in context, numbers lie all of the time.So let's not act like he was anything but THE SUCK last year. Because he was.But that was last year with the holdout. This year is a new year and again, I'm high on him.
This is far and away the best anlysis in this thread and has yet to be seriously refuted by anyone.There is no question that Johnson burried the owners who drafted him last year, regardless of what his end of the year numbers say.The rest of the arguments in this thread, as they relate to his FF impact last year, are not at all persuasive.He was a FF bust last year. Full stop.

'VaTerp said:
You won't find a bigger CJ2K proponent than me. I have him entrenched as my the #4 RB on my board and anticipate he will be my top RB target in my auction.That said he was AWFUL last year. Unlike most of Chad Johnson's prime years when his inconsistency was overstated and not based on facts, the inconsistent label on CJ last year was well earned. Actually, he was consistent. Consistently bad.He gained 55% of his rushing yardage in 25% of his starts.Other than his 4 big games, he averaged 39 yards PER GAMESo in 75% of his starts he basically gave you horrid production.He only scored 4 TDs all year.He was so bad in 6 of the first 8 games of the year that many people had them on their bench when he finally did have a small stretch of production.Then he gave owners NOTHING down the stretch and in the FF playoffs.The fact that he finished top 10 is mostly a testament to how weak a year it was for RBs and he was able to have decent receiving numbers. People say numbers don't lie. Without looking at them in context, numbers lie all of the time.So let's not act like he was anything but THE SUCK last year. Because he was.But that was last year with the holdout. This year is a new year and again, I'm high on him.
This is far and away the best anlysis in this thread and has yet to be seriously refuted by anyone.There is no question that Johnson burried the owners who drafted him last year, regardless of what his end of the year numbers say.The rest of the arguments in this thread, as they relate to his FF impact last year, are not at all persuasive.He was a FF bust last year. Full stop.
I was 1-6 last year with him. I traded him (and had to pay, big, to even get him off my roster) and I won the championship.And I may just draft him again this year.

Users who are viewing this thread