What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Probiotics (1 Viewer)

Ministry of Pain

Footballguy
I have this food bar I like that has a bunch of probiotics in it. When I eat one of these for breakfast or really anytime during the day, I find the internal plumbing operates much smoother...and when I don't or do not get them from some other source, let's just say things don't filter thru nearly as well.

Suzanne Sommers(yes that one) has a new book I think about different probiotics, macrobiotics, and anti-oxidents. Are these things all different? I assume they are but I iamgine they all work together and have a positive impact on your system.

And good sites/books that one would want to read up on this stuff?

I have this food bar I like that has a bunch of probiotics in it. When I eat one of these for breakfast or really anytime during the day, I find the internal plumbing operates much smoother...and when I don't or do not get them from some other source, let's just say things don't filter thru nearly as well.

Suzanne Sommers(yes that one) has a new book I think about different probiotics, macrobiotics, and anti-oxidents. Are these things all different? I assume they are but I iamgine they all work together and have a positive impact on your system.

Surprisingly, I don't remember any Summers, S references in my microbiology classes. http://nccam.nih.gov/health/probiotics/

Short story - If you've got diarrhea from antibiotic use or C. dif toxicity, probiotics may be helpful. If you're an otherwise healthy adult, there's very little evidence they do anything beneficial. There's a very strong placebo effect with probiotics. Like most remedies that get deemed "alternative", there's 10 fold more misinformation out there than there is good information. The data from places like the NIH and Mayo.com are trustworthy. On the other hand, if the dumb one from Three's Company or OMGPROBIOTICSROCKZORS.COM says something about the interplay of various microorganisms and how that interplay impacts gastrointestinal physiology and pathology, you may want to take it with a grain or three of salt.

And yes, probiotics are different from macrobiotics, and they're both different than antioxidants.

Surprisingly, I don't remember any Summers, S references in my microbiology classes. http://nccam.nih.gov/health/probiotics/

Short story - If you've got diarrhea from antibiotic use or C. dif toxicity, probiotics may be helpful. If you're an otherwise healthy adult, there's very little evidence they do anything beneficial. There's a very strong placebo effect with probiotics. Like most remedies that get deemed "alternative", there's 10 fold more misinformation out there than there is good information. The data from places like the NIH and Mayo.com are trustworthy. On the other hand, if the dumb one from Three's Company or OMGPROBIOTICSROCKZORS.COM says something about the interplay of various microorganisms and how that interplay impacts gastrointestinal physiology and pathology, you may want to take it with a grain or three of salt.

And yes, probiotics are different from macrobiotics, and they're both different than antioxidants.
:excited: I will say that the majority of them are pretty similar. Usually you would like to take them in the "billions" compared to the "millions." The one problem with buying them by themselves is that they are fairly sensitive to heat and moisture. This means that during shipping or shelf-life a lot of them can die.

C'mon guys. Hasn't Erin Andrews taught you anything? The correct time and place to talk probiotics is in the middle of a coed football game where one of the players can take out the tablet they've been carrying with them in order to show everyone a meaningless graphic in the huddle.

Costco sales an over the counter refrigerated pro biotic called VL3 that is used in the treatment of IBS and other intestinal diseases.

Vsl #3 ranges between $40-70, depending on dosage form and package size. Comes in capsules and powder packets

Probiotic supplements seem a little goofy when you can just eat some sauerkraut or yogurt, etc.

In any case, establishing good gut bacteria seems to be important, but prebiotics (i.e., fiber) may be more important than probiotics.

They work for our 3 year old. When he is on antibiotics, we give him probiotics to help with the loose stools caused by the antibiotics. Without them, it's constant diarrhea

Users who are viewing this thread