What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Punt Penalty-Bait Trick Play (1 Viewer)

eighsse2

Footballguy
I always like to think about loopholes in rules, and I'm wondering if this would be a good idea, or even viable at all (e.g., am I missing an obvious reason why it wouldn't work, or might it be addressed in the rulebook somehow already).

You have a 4th & 4. Long snapper hikes the ball to the punter.

Uh oh! It's a trick play! Players are running routes, and the punter has his arm cocked back looking for a receiver!

Linemen are rushing toward the punter to sack him.

At just the right moment, the punter instantly punts the ball. Maybe Australian style would be ideal to avoid a block, and if the plan works it doesn't matter if it's an awful punt. It could go 5 yards, or even be blocked. (But certainly better if he can get a decent punt off, in case the plan doesn't work.)

The point is, if I understand correctly, softly running into a passer after a pass is clearly not a penalty, but running into a punter at all is a 5-yard penalty, resulting here in a first down, no?

So you're hoping that a member of the defense runs into you, since he would normally not avoid running into a passer ... which the punter is, until the last second.

So I'm just curious. I doubt this would ever have a high enough likelihood of working, to be worth the dire consequences that may result. But, would it in theory work? Or would the rulebook prevent it altogether?

The rule book addresses this (point #3 below):

No defensive player may run into or rough a kicker who kicks from behind the line unless such contact:
  1. is incidental to and occurs after the defender has touched the kick in flight
  2. is caused by the kicker’s own motions
  3. occurs during a quick kick or a rugby-style kick
  4. there are more reason I didn’t list

The rule book addresses this (point #3 below):

No defensive player may run into or rough a kicker who kicks from behind the line unless such contact:
  1. is incidental to and occurs after the defender has touched the kick in flight
  2. is caused by the kicker’s own motions
  3. occurs during a quick kick or a rugby-style kick
  4. there are more reason I didn’t list
Thanks! Right there in black and white. Alright. I'll toss this HC resume and get back to my day job.

ETA: Even without point #3, point #1 could pose a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread