What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

question about idp leagues (1 Viewer)

BLOCKED_PUNT

Footballguy
apologies if this is just very dumb but I'm curious

So I've been looking around at the leagues that have been advertised in the looking for leagues section and the ones with IDP have 3-4 idp slots. Is this just the normal rate? It could be that I just play way too much Madden but I had always thought it would be very neat to start a "full" idp defence (3 DL, 3 LB, 4 DB, 1 flex) Is this just way too much? What is the "sweet spot" as far are idp numbers go?

So I've been looking around at the leagues that have been advertised in the looking for leagues section and the ones with IDP have 3-4 idp slots. Is this just the normal rate? It could be that I just play way too much Madden but I had always thought it would be very neat to start a "full" idp defence (3 DL, 3 LB, 4 DB, 1 flex) Is this just way too much? What is the "sweet spot" as far are idp numbers go?
Can't speak for the whole IDP community but my league has 7 IDP starters (2 DL, 2 LB, 2 DB and 1 flex) it's the same number of off players so it's balanced a bit. I see alot of leagues around that. 3-4 is pretty light...

You need enough IDP players to make them meaningful. That includes making the scoring equal to the same tier of offensive players. If you are playing with one IDP player and they don't score a lot you might as well not do it at all. It makes them worse than kickers.

Ideally you should start the same number of IDP as you have on the offensive side. That is a good rule of thumb.

I'm not sure...that's why I asked. If you started 11 idp to sorta mimic defense....a "standard" league is QB, 2-3 WR, 2 RB, TE and a Kicker, flex. That's only 9. I mean adding 2 more flex spots to make it 11 is fine and everything. Flexibility is neat. Is it just a numbers thing to make the number of starters mirror each other?

Last edited:

I think this has to due to Roster Size Limitations. Popularity of Dynasty/Keeper leagues with Larger Benches to stash players. Yahoo's max roster limit is 30players. We started 2 IDP (any) for 6 years until this year... we're starting 1DB, 1LB, 1DL. People rarely started DL... Sometimes DBs... due to scoring. It's so unpredictable. LB tackles are the most predictable scoring aspect of IDP. D Revis on the JETs was great but people weren't throwing his way. How do you score avoidance? Now... by switching to starting 3 IDPs one of each category for DYNASTY where you keep everyone on your roster... it means that more roster space of the max 30 people are being used for the IDPs. You're not going to carry 2DBs, 2LB, 2DL and a sub. There's not enough roster space (if you're team's any good). The IDPs often have less TRADE VALUE/APPEAL simply because there's less information about them. OFF players are higher scrutinized. # of OFF players target share % etc. Rush/Pass Attempts. IDPs might be scrutinized but There is simply less data. Unless you're in an established league that is familiar you're probably not getting a draft pick for player X.

I'm not sure...that's why I asked. If you started 11 idp to sorta mimic defense....a "standard" league is QB, 2-3 WR, 2 RB, TE and a Kicker, flex. That's only 9. I mean adding 2 more flex spots to make it 11 is fine and everything. Flexibility is neat. Is it just a numbers thing to make the number of starters mirror each other?
Yes, it is for me. If you don't make the IDP side significant then they become like kickers. The two best ways to make them significant is by equaling the IDP starters to the offensive starters and making sure that the scoring system gives you equivalent scoring where tier 1 IDP's score the same as tier 1 offensive guys and on down the line.

I have found that increasing the number of ways IDP's score helps smooth out week to week scoring while also having nice EOY numbers that match offense. If you have two few categories (like tackles, assists, and sacks only) then you have too boom/bust weeks where if you break it down to TFL, QH hits, pass defensed, etc then it smooths scores out.

Isn't that a good reason to NOT add 2 more offensive slots?
It's best to have the same number of offensive starters as IDP starters so things are balanced. If you want IDP to be more important that go with 11 IDP and keep the 9 offensive guys. Nothing wrong with that.

Isn't that a good reason to NOT add 2 more offensive slots?
It's best to have the same number of offensive starters as IDP starters so things are balanced. If you want IDP to be more important that go with 11 IDP and keep the 9 offensive guys. Nothing wrong with that.
Agreed because comes down to economics. There is 11 D guys that start and only 6 O guys as 5 OL. Throw in K to make 7 for 32 teams in NFL. While my league starts 11+11, it is O that scores 60% of your points and thus D still not as valuable.

Now O backups have more importance than D backups especially RB2 and basically can almost take out 1 DL(normally DT), 1 LB, 1 DB(mostly CB) to make 8-8 available each side (O1-2-3-1-1) and really tweak scoring to make both sides score the same. We don’t separate DE/DL or S/CB in my league. That would increase IDP value also or make more roster cloggers.

We are currently running with 11 - 2 DT, 2 Edge, 2 LB, 3 DB and 2 Defensive Flex. For many years we were at 10 (3 DL, 3 LB, 3 DB and 1 D-flex).

Ive been involved in IDP leagues for 30 years. The league I run for almost that amount of time has 2DL, 3LB, 2DB (one flex in any position). It has changed once in awhile but this is what everyone in the league likes best. I am in a couple of IDP dynasty leagues that separate the positions and its my favorite way of doing things. However, if it is a new league I suggest starting out basic like how I described above. My fav way of doing it.... 2 DE, 2DT, 3LB, 2CB, 2S and one flex

Some people freak out at the concept of more IDPs than offensive starters... the only real answer about why is because it feels right to some people. Personally, I think about 9/11 would be ideal - it makes you dig roughly equally deeply into the waiver wires and allows you to even out positional value in a better way than increasing IDP scoring in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread