What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Raiders DL Carl Nassib announces that he is gay, the first active NFL player to do so. (1 Viewer)

The NBA and MLB still have never had an openly gay active player right?

The only thing I remember is the one guy in the NBA that came out shortly after he retired.
In the NBA it was one of the Collins twins. I think he was still active but was a essentially a bench player at the time.

From MSNBC:

Carl Nassib, who in the off-season became the first active NFL player to come out as gay, has made the final roster for the Las Vegas Raiders — making him likely to become the first openly gay athlete to play in a regular season game.

https://www.outsports.com/2021/8/31/22650711/carl-nassib-gay-las-vegas-raiders-roster

yeah, don't care.  All I care about is if he's good enough to play football.  He's on the Raiders, so that makes it questionable.  

That's exactly how I see it and exactly how I want us to treat it at Footballguys. 

That's exactly how I see it and exactly how we are going to treat it at Footballguys. 

If you want something more than that, take it to another website. 

Goodell's statement is where we are. Full stop. If you want to try to make it negative, find another website to do it with. 

This is weird.

The really big deal here is that this seems like no big deal.

MAURILE THIS IS COURAGEOUS OR TAKE IT TO ANOTHER BOARD WITH THAT NBD GARBAGE!

I remember him on Hard Knocks and his curious financial advice.

And the DC Gregg Williams wondering how someone gets the name of Carl, like how do you look at the face of a baby and decide to name them "Carl".

I don’t feel like it’s a big deal.  I like fantasy football.  I like the NFL.  I don’t consider anyone’s sexual orientation on Sundays or on draft says or really any days.  

I don’t feel like it’s a big deal.

Look at the Becky Hammon situation in the NBA as a cross example.

If an NBA team has an opening for head coach and does not interview Hammon, they will be attacked for it

If an NBA team has an opening for head coach and does interview Hammon but she doesn't get the job, they will be attacked for it.

If an NBA team has an opening for head coach and does  interview Hammon and she gets the job, the day she is fired ( and all coaches eventually get fired) they will be attacked for it.

The Trail Blazers interviewed Hammon, didn't hire her, hired someone with a rough past ( Billups) that involved women and ugly accusations, and then they backdoor released a hit piece on Hammon to provide coverage as to why they didn't hire her. Do I agree with their move? Yes and No. I agree with them if they didn't hire for head coach because they didn't think she'd help them win and/or Damon Lillard wanted someone else ( You make your superstar player happy in the NBA, that's just how it works). I don't agree with the hatchet job on Hammon, even if the situation was incredibly complex in that they were presented with Lose/Lose media optics.

Here's the thing with Nassib. What happens when it's time to cut him? ( All players get cut at some point, except Tom Brady I suppose)

What will help the Raiders or some other future team is when Nassib is near the end of his career, he sits down with his agent and has a true "Come To Jesus" moment about his prospects to keep playing, and if he knows he can't make a roster again at some point, then he should openly announce his retirement.

While I have no love for NFL owners in general, the people working in front offices and most coaches are just rank and file people trying to earn a living. Nassib and his agent can do things to make things infinitely easier to not bring down the roof on a position coach or a scout or a mid level front office person because the woke world will want their pound of flesh.

GordonGekko said:
If an NBA team has an opening for head coach and does not interview Hammon, they will be attacked for it

If an NBA team has an opening for head coach and does interview Hammon but she doesn't get the job, they will be attacked for it.

If an NBA team has an opening for head coach and does  interview Hammon and she gets the job, the day she is fired ( and all coaches eventually get fired) they will be attacked for it.
How are you defining "will be attacked for it"?

Are you talking about mean tweets? Who would be attacking them, and unless the league is punishing them monetarily or with draft picks.... why would the NBA team care?

GordonGekko said:
 Here's the thing with Nassib. What happens when it's time to cut him? ( All players get cut at some point, except Tom Brady I suppose)

Nothing different than with any other player who is cut when it is the time to cut them. 

nobody should care about anyone's sex life and its frankly a bit disturbing that there is a thread on a player simply because of his sexual choices to be honest

nobody should care about anyone's sex life and its frankly a bit disturbing that there is a thread on a player simply because of his sexual choices to be honest
To be fair, close to half the thread is probably jokes about the Raiders Packers sucking, AFC West versus AFC North, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread