What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rams beat writer Jim Thomas Q & A: (1 Viewer)

HMH

Footballguy
http://www.stltoday.com/discussions/sports...LD072808431/all

Jim Thomas Live

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Tucker: Jim,

I'm assuming your up in wisconsin at camp. Can you tell us what the general feeling is among the players? Are they upbeat? Anxious to get the season started? I'm hoping everybody is pumped up.

Thanks

Jim Thomas: I'm here in beautiful Mequon. mood is generally good. Players always look forward to the start of the season, but at the same time dread the grind of two-a-days.

=============

Ram-Man: Hey Jim! Welcome back, we missed your insight.

First question. What is the skinny on how Long is doing in camp? Is he getting pushed around? Is he holding his own?

Second question. Whith Pittman getting the bulk of the reps with the number one offense, how is he progressing?

Last question. How is Leonard Little looking? As of right now, how do you rank the DE's in order?

I won't even ask you about Steven Jackson, since I know that will be covered by others.

Jim Thomas: Long looks like a rookie. At times he gets pushed around. At times he makes a play. Pace, even with limited reps, is having little trouble with Long in team drills. Then again, that was the case with Wistrom. For several years.

Pittman looks OK, and nothing more.

Little looks very good. As for ranking the DEs, right now, I'd say 1.) Little; 2.) James Hall; 3.) Long.

===============

David Naglieri: Hey Jim,

I am looking forward to these chats the rest of training camp and into the 2008 season. I am curious to get your insights into recent comments from Marc Bulger about the departure of Isaac Bruce. He seemed to insignuate that it was difficult for him to assert himself with Bruce's presence in the huddle. Were you aware of Bruce hampering Bulger's growth as a team leader? Secondly, do you think we have a stronger recieving corps this year with Bruce gone?

Jim Thomas: You're reading way too much into Bulger's comments. He was kidding. I don't think Isaac Bruce stunted Bulger's growth.

As for receiving corps as a whole, right now, Bennett is the other starter and Dante Hall is the NO. 3. It depends largely on how quickly rookies Avery and Burton develop and are able to contribute.

==============

bfulton: Aside from players returning from injury, how does the Oline look? How well is Loney meshing with the players?

Jim Thomas: Loney is a very good communicator.

The o-line did better Monday, but so far I would say the d-line has gotten the best of it _ to the point where one Rams official told me: "Is our d-line this good, or our o-line this bad?"

But before we all overreact, keep in mind, this was on Day 4 of camp.

=============

Rich: Hey Jim,

We have been hearing a lot about the WRs, but I am curious on how the DBs are fairing - especially since veteran CB Brown is out for the remainder of camp and at least one game of the pre-season.

Thanks.

Jim Thomas: Bartell is with the starters in Brown's absence. He'll have play after play of solid or even great performance, and then he'll get beaten badly on a play. He needs more consistency.

Rookie Justin King has been a mild surprise so far. He looks pretty good. Speedy, aggressive, good breaks on the ball. I'm not saying he's ready to contribute on opening day, but right now, he looks better than second-year man Justin King.

===============

Luke: Jim-

Besides the receivers, could you please give us a quick run down on how the drafted rookies have looked?

Thanks,

Luke

Jim Thomas: I've already mentioned Long and King. John Greco looks very solid in one-one-one pass-blocking drills. Both young LBs (Chamberlain and Vobora) have had their moments. Chamberlain, in particularly, looks pretty good in coverage.

===============

YB85: Welcome back. Football's almost here!

I'm concerned over the lack of depth of our defensive tackles, i'm aware that it is still early but we should start looking for viable depth. What unsigned veterans are available? Are you aware if management is looking on other teams?

Jim Thomas: I don't think Rams are worried unless severe injuries hit. (And I don't count Adeyanju as severe, since he should be back in plenty of time to play a couple of preseason games and be ready for opening day.)

Ryan-Glover-Carriker are on the final 53 at DT; Little, Hall, and Long are on the final 53 at DE Adeyanju is a swingman (as, obviously, is Carriker). That's seven guys, and they may keep only seven. If they keep 8 d-linemen, No. 8 probably is Eric Moore.

================

zn2003: Two questions. First,why did the Rams offensive players dislike the Linehan offense and why do they prefer the Saunders offense? Obviously it's possible to guess a lot of the answer to that, but still, it's informative to see it spelled out. Second, since you've seen so many training camps, in your opinion, what kinds of things tend to translate well from camp to the regular season? For example, if you see Player X stepping up and performing well during camp, does it tend to translate into regular season performance? In short, basically, what kinds of things can you safely predict about a team's regular season from watching camp practices?

Jim Thomas: The short answer on the offense is that it was too simplistic, lacked creativity, and didn't use all of the field.

As for training camp, bad habits or trends that take place in camp (and the preseason) usually carry over to the regular season. And good habits or trends as well. I also look for intangibles such as confidence, energy, enthusiasm. But saying all that, sometimes you get fooled. Drew Bennett looked very good last year during camp, then hurt his quad, and well. . .you know the rest of the story.

===============

Rich: Are the Rams looking to bring in any veteran defensive lineman? Are there any out there even worth considering?

Jim Thomas: The Rams are in the process of signing Henry Smith, a nose tackle, from Texas A&M. He's 6-3, 315, and was with New England earlier this offseason as a rookie free agent.

DT Josh Thompson is expected to be waived-injured to free up the roster spot.

==============

Buzz: Jim,

How football smart is Donnie Avery? I ask this because Avery played without a playbook in college, and now must master Al Saunders' massive book here. Also, there is some question about whether he had to run any pro style routes at Houston. I know it's early, but do you have a sense that he can run a route now and achieve separation? At least Torry Holt seems willing to help. Thanks.

Jim Thomas: I don't think the Rams have any reservations about Avery's ability to grasp the offense. As far as route-running, he doesn't look as polished right now as fellow rookie Keenan Burton, but his speed is legit, which in itself is a great way to get separation.

===============

TD51: I'm sure SJ contract issue will be asked over & over so let me ask about Wroten, will Rams release him and are we exploring bringing in more DL to backfill w/ this and some injuries starting camp (Victor A, CJ, J Thompson)? Also w/ O-line MAJOR issue in '07, how does health look and quality of depth in event of another injury plagued season?

Thanks!

Jim Thomas: While he's on suspension, Wroten doesn't get paid, so there's no pressing need to release him right now.

==============

Faris Chehabi: What will the wide receiver depth chart look like, and who will make the team? I say it's this: Holt Bennett Avery Burton Hall Caldwell. What do you say. Thanks.

Jim Thomas: I don't think there's any doubt that Holt, Bennett, Hall and the two rookie draft picks make the club. That leaves Caldwell, Looker, Stanley, Hagans all working for one spot. And right now, I don't know how to call that.

================

Curt: Hey Jim,

Tough job, but somebody's gotta do it, huh?!

We've been reading about Avery, Burton, Chamberlain, Vobora, King, Incognito, etc., but the biggest concern I have for this team is Chavous. What's happening with him/ how's he look? Who can jump in if he can't play at this level any more? Bartell (hopefully)?

Jim Thomas: Chavous looks great, and is heating hard. Just ask Pittman, who practically got decleated by Chavous a couple of days ago.

=================

donsods: Jim,

There has been a lot of PR spin on how various players look so good so far in camp. I hope most of it is true. In your estimation, has anyone been a dissapointment so far?

Jim Thomas: Again, it's w-a-y early. But I haven't been overwhelmed by either Jacob Bell, Antonio Pittman, or Joe Klopfenstein so far.

==============

Mark V: Seems to me the Rams look most thin at the Linebacker position. Would you agree and will they be looking closely at roster cuts to bolster that position?

Jim Thomas: Personally, I would feel better if they had one more veteran presence in the mix. But they are high on Quinton Culberson _ I think he may end up being the started over Chris Draft. And they want to take a good long look at both drafted rookies (Chamberlain/Vobora). But eventually, they may indeed look for someone during the last round of roster cuts.

=============

James Westin: Can you please explain to me what we should see more of and what we should see less of in Al Saunders' offense. Will Jackson get more/less carries, will Jackson get more/less receptions, 5 wr sets? twin te? twin hb? wr screens? more long passes? Please answer these and let me know some more things we should either see more or less of. Thanks a lot.

Jim Thomas: Early impressions. More 4 WR sets, which were a staple of Air Martz but hardly ever used with Linehan calling the plays. More deep shots. More motion and shifts. More creativity. More quick drops and releases by Bulger.

Jackson will be the centerpiece of the offense: 350-plus touches (carries and catches).

==============

Michael: Have they completed the Edward Jones Dome yet? If so how does it look? Are they planning on changing the music theme this season?

Jim Thomas: Don't know about any changes, but I hear the Rams will have a drumline _ to "spice" things up on the sidelines.

============

owen: how does barron look.does he look improved.is he getting any reps at left tackle

Jim Thomas: Barron looks pretty good. He still has trouble at time anchoring against the bull rush. He has worked exclusively at right tackle.

=============

Dan G.: Is Bulger back in all-star looking form or is he done, in your opinion?

Jim Thomas: Neither. I'd put him at a B- so far.

=============

Rambunctious: Ram camp observers (fans) have noted that Anthony Becht appeared to have been injured during a drill. Possibly his hamstring .. Do you have any info on his injury? How serious it is? Thanks ..

Jim Thomas: He's still practicing.

=============

qazzell: I would expect that this team will perform better after the off season moves and the draft, but with that schedule do you see them winning more than 6 games this year? And would that be enough to save linehan's job?

Jim Thomas: With the early season schedule, it's tough to see 8-8. I don't know what it will take for Linehan to come back. I don't think 6-10 is enought, however.

=============

Superram13: Jim, Why do you think the Rams get IGNORED by national coverage. Jackson's hold out should be big news but nary a word.

Jim Thomas: They're all in Green Bay covering Brett Favre.

=============

adam_cruts: Jim,

Thanks for doing this. I heard on the radio today from DeMarco talking about some new FB that we have that is impressing so far. I can't recall his name to save my life, but they said he's like a cement truck. Any comments?

Jim Thomas: His name is Dan Kreider _ 5-11, 255 _ formerly of the Pittsburgh Steelers. He's a classic, old-style fullback. He's had his moments early in camp. Let's see how he looks in preseason.

==============

Jim Lindstrom: Jim

In your opinion how is the center battle shaping up

Jim Thomas: It looks like it's Romberg's to lose. I think it's significant that he has gotten all the reps with the 1s. But we'll see what happens once the preseason games start.

That's all for now. Talk to you next week. I've got to go interview Al Saunders.

Clipped from http://stlsportsinsider.com/

July 29

Latest on Jackson Holdout

jacksonAccording to Jim Thomas of the Post-Dispatch, there's been no dialogue regarding a new deal since talks of an extension broke off last Friday.

According to NFL Players Association rules, Jackson must report by August 8th or the 2008 season won't count towards his eligibility for free agency should the current collective bargaining agreement be voided, which is being threatened by team owners.

Jackson reportedly turned down a contract offer last week that would have placed him among the top four highest paid running backs in the NFL. It's believed Jackson is seeking $20 million in guarantees.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread