What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rank the rookie rbs so far (2 Viewers)

Reading around on Kerryon:

Spider Chart

40 yard dash is missing there.  From Pro Day:  

The former Tigers running back ran an unofficial 4.54 seconds in the 40, with some scouts clocking him in the mid-to-high 4.4s on Friday. The 4.54 time, which is hand timed as opposed to laser timed at the NFL Combine, would tie Johnson with Georgia's Sony Michel, Oregon's Royce Freeman and Iowa's Akrum Wadley for ninth among the 26 running backs to run at the Combine
He's young, 20 years old.  Split time as sophomore (true soph I assume?) with Kamryn Pettway and averaged 4.9 YPC (Pettway 5.9).  Underrated in passing game.  17 catches as soph, 24 as junior.  55 in three years.  

Only averaged 4.9 YPC, his highlights are annoying, Auburn ran this pistol/wildcat stuff all year?

Runs upright, and has been banged up repeatedly.   

From PFF:

• Broke 50 tackles on 285 carries in 2017, averaged 2.9 yards per carry after contact and gained 826 yards after the first hit. • Has an ability to glide as a runner to the hole and then shift gears through the gap in a way reminiscent of Arian Foster. • Had 16 runs of 150-plus yards, giving him a breakaway percentage of 33.8, 23rd in the draft class. • Overall grade improved dramatically each season of his career, resulting in the 87.8 we saw this past season. • Struggled in Auburn’s championship game and bowl game, being held to just 118 total yards on 35 total carries by Georgia and UCF combined. • Didn’t allow a sack from 89 pass-blocking snaps for a pass-blocking efficiency score of 95.8, a top-25 mark in the draft class. • Runs hard and can drive forward on contact, but too often goes down on the first hit and doesn’t generate what you expect from his size.
Kerryon Johnson has improved his grade every season and enters the draft after an impressive year in which he had the sixth-best grade in the class. He’s a tall, upright runner with good speed and the ability to make big plays, but too often hits the dirt from the first tackle attempt and can’t make moves in short spaces to avoid defenders. Has an interesting style of gliding to the hole and then accelerating quickly through it that proves very effective, and has shown he can carry a big workload and be a factor on all three downs.

Kerryon Johnson is a good all around back and can handle a big work load. But his tape screams just-a-guy imo. It takes a lot of imagination to envision a scenario where Johnson has the Lions backfield locked up in the near future. The best case scenario for his FF owner would be a Zac Stacey career path, hopefully selling at the right time.

Kerryon Johnson is a good all around back and can handle a big work load. But his tape screams just-a-guy imo. It takes a lot of imagination to envision a scenario where Johnson has the Lions backfield locked up in the near future. The best case scenario for his FF owner would be a Zac Stacey career path, hopefully selling at the right time.
I agree. Feel same way about Freeman, despite my bias of being a UO alumni and seeing Denver as a great landing spot.

I agree. Feel same way about Freeman, despite my bias of being a UO alumni and seeing Denver as a great landing spot.
Indeed.

But at least Freeman doesn't have Blount to compete with for carries and Riddick for catches. There's not much for competition for Freeman. He's gotta be better than Booker and Henderson, right?

I like Penny but he’s going to a team with a bad offensive line.
This narrative is way past old. It would be true if  you were stuck starting last year's line with last year's running backs. Fortunately, that's not the scenario headed into this season. 

There was a portion of last season where the Seattle offensive line was horrendous. After Fant had his knee blown up a LT they were stuck starting two guys at LT that were outrageously bad. After the trade for Brown they improved significantly. Making matters worse they had Lacy and Rawls falling down before they hit the line of scrimmage. There was dramatic improvement towards the end of the season. Throw in two seasons of experience for Pocic and Ifedi and there's reason to understand why Seattle didn't throw draft capital away investing in the offensive line this season. While we're at it, might as well dispose of the idea that they haven't thrown draft capital into they offensive line. They have over the past five years. Do the homework and you'll find I'm right. 

Indeed.

But at least Freeman doesn't have Blount to compete with for carries and Riddick for catches. There's not much for competition for Freeman. He's gotta be better than Booker and Henderson, right?
Yup, I don’t see a problem getting 2018 work.  But, a rather unremarkable rookie campaign would jeopardize his future stock as early as 2019.

Hate to be a bother, but I searched for such an article to no avail. Do you have a link by chance?
You don't get the FBG daily emails?

Source: The Indianapolis Star - Stephen Holder

Indianapolis Colts RB Nyheim Hines has a unique skill set that should enable him to be a factor in the offense as both a runner and receiver. Hines played two years of receiver in college before moving to the backfield after a logjam cleared. Hines said multiple teams discussed drafting him and making him a permanent slot receiver.

Can't agree with you on this.  After the Big 8 RBs, I'd put 3 WRs and 3 QBs ahead of someone like Hines.  And maybe even some TEs, even though I'm loathe to draft them early. He's a mid-2nd at the earliest, but I still wouldn't want to take that risk until I know how the Hines/Mack/Wilkins battle shakes out.  It's possible he could move up to a late-1st if your rookie draft takes place during training camp.
I will not pretend like I have watched film on all these guys but there are times when you are better to reach for a guy you believe in vs drafting by the popular fantasy draft flow charts. Hines has me intrigued after the main 8 RB's, especially considering the weak WR pool. In PPR he looks to have value regardless if he is able to land a feature back type role. There are people who's opinion I value that really like him and think he can be more than just a receiving RB. 

QB's don't hold much value in my leagues and with the WR group looking rather weak I think you may see Hines appear at the end of first / start of 2nd round rookie drafts as time goes on. 

I get why people don't love the spot, I think it's overstated.

Olsen is old, Funchess a just a guy, I think Newton can support Moore and McCaffrey long term easily.  
Funchess is pretty good, but that's not a concern for me. Cam is a good quarterback but not a great passer. For one thing he'd rather run in the red-zone than throw. I don't blame him.

I understand Steve Smith had a couple good years with Cam tossing to him. Smiff is a HOFer who had good years with Jake Delhomme and Joe Flacco, of all people. I like Moore, but not that much.

Last edited by a moderator:
This narrative is way past old. It would be true if  you were stuck starting last year's line with last year's running backs. Fortunately, that's not the scenario headed into this season. 

There was a portion of last season where the Seattle offensive line was horrendous. After Fant had his knee blown up a LT they were stuck starting two guys at LT that were outrageously bad. After the trade for Brown they improved significantly. Making matters worse they had Lacy and Rawls falling down before they hit the line of scrimmage. There was dramatic improvement towards the end of the season. Throw in two seasons of experience for Pocic and Ifedi and there's reason to understand why Seattle didn't throw draft capital away investing in the offensive line this season. While we're at it, might as well dispose of the idea that they haven't thrown draft capital into they offensive line. They have over the past five years. Do the homework and you'll find I'm right. 
I don’t have the time or the inclination to research every offensive line in the NFL.  PFF had them as the 27th best offensive line last year and they only added a 4th round blocking TE and a 5th round OT.  Sure they may improve some, but it won’t be a strength 

I don’t have the time or the inclination to research every offensive line in the NFL.  PFF had them as the 27th best offensive line last year and they only added a 4th round blocking TE and a 5th round OT.  Sure they may improve some, but it won’t be a strength 
Well they had a significant injury last year and some bums for replacement. Every year is different. 

cloppbeast said:
Funchess is pretty good, but that's not a concern for me. Cam is a good quarterback but not a great passer. For one thing he'd rather run in the red-zone than throw. I don't blame him.

I understand Steve Smith had a couple good years with Cam tossing to him. Smiff is a HOFer who had good years with Jake Delhomme and Joe Flacco, of all people. I like Moore, but not that much.
Ginn had a good season under him (could have been even bigger if he had decent hands to go with his speed), Benjamin had a solid rookie year under him before getting injured the next year, and Funchess had a pretty decent year under him last year.  If you like his talent then his landing spot isn't really something to worry about. 

cloppbeast said:
Well they had a significant injury last year and some bums for replacement. Every year is different. 
Penny also has a really nice combo of college receiving stats, team draft capital invested, and clear path to three down work.

Seattle OLine isn't great, but pretty much everything else about his situation is choice.  

I spent a few hours trying to work this out. This year's situation is REALLY weird on offense. I thought I liked the RB more than the WR but I think there's more value on the WR end of things.

1.01 - Saquon Barkley

Unanimous #1 RB off the board.

1.02 - Rashaad Penny

I watched his tape a million times and I didn't see anything special. But that's just it, he makes everything he does look so easy. He's in a great offense with Russell Wilson and catches passes. He will be the bellcow and will go as far as the Seattle offensive line lets him. His 4.46 is faster than most of the RB and a lot of the WR in this draft.

Him being drafted in the first round tells me everything I needed to know about the rest of the RB. They're not that good! Rashaad Penny is one of the few bellcows in this draft. Seattle has picked out some GEMS at the Runningback position over the past few years. I trust them to get it right with this pick

1.03 - Nick Chubb

He has great talent but I hate his situation. If Carlos Hyde wasn't a Top-8 paid player at his position, I'd be higher on Chubb. But his ceiling is certainly limited but I love his talent.

1.04 - Derrius Guice

He reminds me of Beanie Wells 2.0. Great straightline north - south speed. Not much else to salivate over. He has a great situation with Alex Smith at Quarterback. I just don't think he's a phenomenal talent but he has a chance to score 8+ touchdowns this year, easy.

1.05 - Royce Freeman

Above average talent in a great situation. Doesn't really play to his size. He will have one-year to sink or float, has potential to put up a few Alfred Morris type numbers on a grind it out - Denver team. Just another guy, imo. He suffers any type of lower body injury and he's done.

1.06 - Sony Michel

Has an opportunity to take over the Dion Lewis role. Don't really love him has a prospect. At times, he looks like a slot receiver. But it's NE, they care about winning games. They're the kind of team that would line this guy up as a DECOY and then hand the ball off to Rex Burkhead for the first down.

1.07 - Kerryon Johnson

To me, his running style is reminiscent to Leveon Bell. Except he doesn't have his size, toughness, or spin move. I think he's a good fit for the scheme that the Lions run. There's a clear role for him as a 1st and 2nd down back but nobody has been better than Theo Riddick catching passes. I can see him vulturing some TDs based on his vision and patience but he doesn't scream bellcow.

1.08 - Kalen Ballage

My favorite sleeper running back in the draft. Nobody is talking about him and he's got an excellent opportunity for playing time in Miami. I will have this guy in EVERY league that I play in. He's got the size (6, 2 - 228 lbs) and runs as fast as any other RB in this class that can be a bellcow. He reminds me of Jordan Howard where his best attribute is being a GOOD RUNNINGBACK.

1.09 - Nyquil Hines

Don't love the player. These "fast but skinny RBs" in the NFL almost always bust. But, we haven't seen an Andrew Luck lead offense in the NFL in a very long time. The only player we know for certain is seeing touches is TY Hilton. There's not much else in the cupboard in Indy. He won't see many touches or touchdowns but he should catch a ton of passes.

Raback said:
I get the 27th place ranking. Totally makes sense, but its worth a deeper examination. Was that ranking better or worse in the second half of the season? Which should you care about? Are there reasons why we should expect better this year? Of course there are. 

They will start the season with an entirely different left side which includes Brown. The right side had a total of one year of experience last year. Again, who cares what the line looked like after Fant got hurt? Why would that play into your expectations for the coming year? They were looking forward to a full season of George Fant at LT. Now it looks like he'll have a chance to start at RT. He and Brown will have a shot at being one of the better tackle combinations in the entire league. 

I spent a few hours trying to work this out. This year's situation is REALLY weird on offense. I thought I liked the RB more than the WR but I think there's more value on the WR end of things.

1.01 - Saquon Barkley

Unanimous #1 RB off the board.

1.02 - Rashaad Penny

I watched his tape a million times and I didn't see anything special. But that's just it, he makes everything he does look so easy. He's in a great offense with Russell Wilson and catches passes. He will be the bellcow and will go as far as the Seattle offensive line lets him. His 4.46 is faster than most of the RB and a lot of the WR in this draft.

Him being drafted in the first round tells me everything I needed to know about the rest of the RB. They're not that good! Rashaad Penny is one of the few bellcows in this draft. Seattle has picked out some GEMS at the Runningback position over the past few years. I trust them to get it right with this pick

1.03 - Nick Chubb

He has great talent but I hate his situation. If Carlos Hyde wasn't a Top-8 paid player at his position, I'd be higher on Chubb. But his ceiling is certainly limited but I love his talent.

1.04 - Derrius Guice

He reminds me of Beanie Wells 2.0. Great straightline north - south speed. Not much else to salivate over. He has a great situation with Alex Smith at Quarterback. I just don't think he's a phenomenal talent but he has a chance to score 8+ touchdowns this year, easy.

1.05 - Royce Freeman

Above average talent in a great situation. Doesn't really play to his size. He will have one-year to sink or float, has potential to put up a few Alfred Morris type numbers on a grind it out - Denver team. Just another guy, imo. He suffers any type of lower body injury and he's done.

1.06 - Sony Michel

Has an opportunity to take over the Dion Lewis role. Don't really love him has a prospect. At times, he looks like a slot receiver. But it's NE, they care about winning games. They're the kind of team that would line this guy up as a DECOY and then hand the ball off to Rex Burkhead for the first down.

1.07 - Kerryon Johnson

To me, his running style is reminiscent to Leveon Bell. Except he doesn't have his size, toughness, or spin move. I think he's a good fit for the scheme that the Lions run. There's a clear role for him as a 1st and 2nd down back but nobody has been better than Theo Riddick catching passes. I can see him vulturing some TDs based on his vision and patience but he doesn't scream bellcow.

1.08 - Kalen Ballage

My favorite sleeper running back in the draft. Nobody is talking about him and he's got an excellent opportunity for playing time in Miami. I will have this guy in EVERY league that I play in. He's got the size (6, 2 - 228 lbs) and runs as fast as any other RB in this class that can be a bellcow. He reminds me of Jordan Howard where his best attribute is being a GOOD RUNNINGBACK.

1.09 - Nyquil Hines

Don't love the player. These "fast but skinny RBs" in the NFL almost always bust. But, we haven't seen an Andrew Luck lead offense in the NFL in a very long time. The only player we know for certain is seeing touches is TY Hilton. There's not much else in the cupboard in Indy. He won't see many touches or touchdowns but he should catch a ton of passes.
No Ronald Jones?

No Ronald Jones?
My bad! He already got drafted in my league, so I haven't looked much into him, lol. I'd say he's a 2A / 2B with Rashaad Penny. Both guys will produce year-1. It will be likely contingent on who is winning games and running out the clock for production.

1.06 - Sony Michel

He caught 9 balls last season and 64 total in his four seasons at Georgie.

He caught 9 balls last season and 64 total in his four seasons at Georgie.
That's fine but it doesn't mean he doesn't have the skillset. He averaged 9.7 yards per catch over his college career which is decent. Check out this play and you'll see what I'm saying by him "looking like a slot receiver".

https://youtu.be/VzFCNS-V3_Y?t=8m38s

Georgia lines up in a 2RB set and sends Michel into motion outside. He makes a move on the LB / CB and cuts to the inside where he catches a pass 10-15 yards down the field and gains a ton more yards after the catch. The Patriots run a ton of plays like this. Anything they ran with Dion Lewis last year, can be run by Michel. I think Michel is a much more aggressive and tougher RB than Lewis was.

Here's another play that should interest you. I see no reason why the Patriots can't line this guy up all over the field, especially against LBs.

https://youtu.be/VzFCNS-V3_Y?t=9m4s

Jones is undeniably pass blocks better and has better acceleration. They both are pretty fluid and have good vision, I'll give them a tie for that. 
Looking more at Jones, here's some good twitter vids from Waldman.  

One thing I always dislike is RB runs where they don't translate to the NFL.  Kerryon Johnson is a good example.

You can't say that about Jones.  NFL is North/South running, and that's Jones' game.  

Wish he was thicker, wish he had more receptions, but running ability, I have no concerns.  

Looking more at Jones, here's some good twitter vids from Waldman.  

One thing I always dislike is RB runs where they don't translate to the NFL.  Kerryon Johnson is a good example.

You can't say that about Jones.  NFL is North/South running, and that's Jones' game.  

Wish he was thicker, wish he had more receptions, but running ability, I have no concerns.  
Love me some Jones II, how he usually finds a way to knife through the defense on outside zone plays. And as far as I know, USC didn't have the greatest line either. About the only criticism I can generate for Jones, he rarely presses the edge on those zone runs even when it's there. He'd rather find the cut back. Strange for a guy with pretty good wheels. 

I'm not even a little worried about his lack of receptions. Darnold looked him off so often it's criminal, mostly preferring to go down field. Jones II is fluid enough to get open, and I'll just assume he has decent enough hands. 

What are people's latest thoughts on the rookie RB crop amid all the recent injuries?

Barkley got nicked up but seems OK

Guice is obviously out of the equation this year,

Michel and Penny look to be out to until the regular season and have some work to do to climb the depth chart to starter

Jones falling behind Barber

Chubb who knows, but a cluster in Cleveland

On the positive side: K. Johnson and Freeman have improved their stock considerably

Considering both redraft and dynasty here....

What are people's latest thoughts on the rookie RB crop amid all the recent injuries?

Barkley got nicked up but seems OK

Guice is obviously out of the equation this year,

Michel and Penny look to be out to until the regular season and have some work to do to climb the depth chart to starter

Jones falling behind Barber

Chubb who knows, but a cluster in Cleveland

On the positive side: K. Johnson and Freeman have improved their stock considerably

Considering both redraft and dynasty here....
I'm just getting up to speed with the rooks and our 1st 2 rounds are largely a rookie draft with some vets mixed in (as we're in a 5 keeper league).  That's kind of the way I view the landscape at this point.  Kerryon Johnson and Freeman both seem to have their stock moving the right way...Barkley's a stud...Barber seems to have the buzz in Tampa.  I watched a few clips Waldman put together on Chubb and he seems to like him.

I'm just getting up to speed with the rooks and our 1st 2 rounds are largely a rookie draft with some vets mixed in (as we're in a 5 keeper league).  That's kind of the way I view the landscape at this point.  Kerryon Johnson and Freeman both seem to have their stock moving the right way...Barkley's a stud...Barber seems to have the buzz in Tampa.  I watched a few clips Waldman put together on Chubb and he seems to like him.
Agree on all.

Chubb seems to be the biggest wild card of all the guys and has the least camp buzz. Just not sure that's good or bad considering he seems to have the most internal competition of the rookie crop with Hyde and Duke 

I play in an auction/keeper league with a salary cap. We can keep 4 players. Since my league is a little different than most my rankings might also look different:

Barkley

K. Johnson

Freeman

Penny

Michel

Chubb

Jones

Guice (I’m going to try and stash him for a couple of bucks at the end of the auction.)

I play in an auction/keeper league with a salary cap. We can keep 4 players. Since my league is a little different than most my rankings might also look different:

Barkley

K. Johnson

Freeman

Penny

Michel

Chubb

Jones

Guice (I’m going to try and stash him for a couple of bucks at the end of the auction.)
my league is a similar setup and I would agree with your rankings (although I'm not a college fan so I know almost nothing about these players pre-NFL)...I like to RBs that can catch the ball, are on good offenses, teams with weak starters that can be overtaken, teams that may tend to have a bellcow.....I agree with your order and my thoughts and believe me they may be wrong are:

Barkley - stud...whoever gets him is lucky

Johnson - they have a bunch of trash ahead of him ...they have a new coach and have tried for years to establish a run game...he can catch the ball...if the stars align he could be a gem

Freeman - similar to the Detroit situation..Denver has a good defense so games should be close which allow the team to run...Booker sucks, CJ's gone and they are looking for someone to take over...there seems to be a good buzz around him

Penny - Carroll is unpredictable and he seems to like Carson who did well last year before his injury...don't know a ton about Penny the athlete but don't like the situation

Michel - Like Caroll, BB is unpredictable week to week on his RB usage...if everything works out he could be huge but there's a better chance that he gets 6 rushes and 4 catches a week...I try to avoid NE backfields unless it's the 3rd guy I can get for free

Chubb - I've tried Clev RBs over the past few years...Trent, Duke, Crow...they just can't turn the corner as a team or an offense...is THIS the year?  I'll let someone else take that risk unless Chubb jumps off the page and looks to be the man

Jones - I've read he's slight and not likely to be a 3 down back...don't like that Barber has "cemented" himself as starter...Barber hasn't really impressed me in the past and if Jones is so easily pushed aside that's not a good thing.

It's still early and there are a few weeks to go and things to shift around but since getting back into it a week or so ago this is where I am at....

Pick 3 in a draft that starts in 10 days.  I have absolutely no ####### clue on these RBs.  

I got 7 guys that I can make a case they should be ranked #2, and I can also make a case they should be ranked #8.  

Users who are viewing this thread