What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Gus Edwards, LAC (1 Viewer)

Gus Edwards rushed eight times for 32 yards in the Ravens’ Week 1 win over the Texans.

Edwards’ biggest gain came on a 13-yard run that looked every bit like the physical runs we’ve come to expect from him. With J.K. Dobbins (Achilles) season now over, it’s possible Edwards emerges to lead the Ravens backfield heading into Week 2 against the Bengals. Both Edwards and Justice Hill will be popular waiver wire targets this week, but neither has much more than top-24 upside going forward. Not known for his pass-catching, Edwards could be a touchdown-dependent RB2 in Week 2 against the Bengals.

- Rotoworld

So…the fact that this wasn’t bumped within minutes of the Dobbins announcement kinda makes me think no one’s even a little bit hopeful that Edwards can take a reliable share here and become a starting fantasy asset.

I mean…right?

I have one share in dynasty, and I appear to be among the hopeful, and I’m still skeptical as f!

My sixth sense also tells me Harbs is already on the phone with Laidoff Lenny.
Gus runs hard. If this were still the Roman O...I'd figure he'd be the big time starter and primary ball carrier. Under Monken...who knows? Justice Hill has always be "almost there" on that depth chart....but he's stuck around for a long time (in RB years). They'll need to bring in someone else; but I think the lions share of the BAL RB position is on the team right now.

I’m officially on the Gus Bus.

Hard to start this week, but it will be really interesting to see how the touches play out this week.

London is known for their big buses.

Gus edwards plays in London on Sunday.

Gus is nicknamed the bus.

Therefore I’m predicting 3 touchdowns.

I outright cut him this week in a 12 teamer. Just didn't see the upside even in a 1/2 point PPR. He's so TD dependent, and Hill getting as many looks as he does was the nail in the coffin. I know he's the starter, but it just hasn't added up to much. 45-50 yards is not worth even a flex play

I outright cut him this week in a 12 teamer. Just didn't see the upside even in a 1/2 point PPR. He's so TD dependent, and Hill getting as many looks as he does was the nail in the coffin. I know he's the starter, but it just hasn't added up to much. 45-50 yards is not worth even a flex play
You hold your tongue. With injury after injury that’s my RB2 you are talking about here. And maybe even my RB1 as my other guy is questionable!

Lol. He’s so slow.

80 yard reception and almost got caught by a lineman.

Anyone else houses that ball.

But as the only one starting Gus today I’m celebrating!

The Gus Bus has been chugging along.

He’s been my RB2 until Achane returns and it’s been working well.

But I feel like a Ferrari (Keaton Mitchell) just pulled up to a red light next to the bus and hit the gas when it turned green.

Looks like 2022 Jamaal Williams
Not a bad comparison. He's just the red zone guy that these past weeks is going to get every opportunity to score inside the 10 it seems.

His rushing numbers and receiving numbers can feel pedestrian to the naked eye, but at the same time he has a 50+ yard run and a 50+ yard reception in those weeks as well, so the possibility is there.

He's not sexy... and judging from the lack of discussion in this thread to all my Beep Beeps, and Honk Honks, not too many people have been starting him. I probably wouldn't have either, but I've just been forced to the last 4-5 weeks due to byes and injuries and it's worked out. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good with a RB2 it seems.

I had removed him from my lineup due to the fear of Keaton Mitchell showing up on the scene, but I switched him back in an hour before the game as Barkley and Achane are still listed as Q on yahoo and didn't want to get stuck holding the bag with either guy, though I think they'll both go, and will now make the decision if I want to flex on or a WR come Sunday. So once again, I was pretty fortunate to keep riding the Gus Bus.

Rushing touchdowns since Week 7:
  • Gus Edwards - 9
  • Every other NFL team - 6 or fewer
Look at the last few comments on this thread. I feel like I’m the only person around here starting him.

But it in truth, it isn’t been out of want, I it’s been out of need.

Rushing touchdowns since Week 7:
  • Gus Edwards - 9
  • Every other NFL team - 6 or fewer
Look at the last few comments on this thread. I feel like I’m the only person around here starting him.

But it in truth, it isn’t been out of want, I it’s been out of need.

guy who has him in my league has started him 9 times

weird build:
  1. TE
  2. WR
  3. RB1 ETN
  4. WR
  5. RB2 Akers
  6. QB
  7. RB3 Dalvin Cook
  8. WR
  9. WR
  10. QB
  11. WR
  12. DEF
  13. WR
  14. TE
  15. WR
  16. K
  17. WR
  18. RB4 Gus Edwards
Working out for him, 6-4 and 3rd place, but that's one strange build. Drafted 8 Wide Receivers and the only one outperforming his draft capital is Shaheed in the 15th. Drafted TLaw and Rodgers; took Purday off waivers after Week 1, he's been his #1 QB. Until he started Dobbs the last two weeks. lolololol that is one weird team.

He's won 4 titles, different kind of cat but works for him.

Is anyone dropping Gus for any handcuffs like Dowdle/Gainwell/D’Ernest?

Gus being 3rd in snaps last week and having a hard schedule ROS makes me wonder if he is worth holding onto.

Is anyone dropping Gus for any handcuffs like Dowdle/Gainwell/D’Ernest?

Gus being 3rd in snaps last week and having a hard schedule ROS makes me wonder if he is worth holding onto.
The 5 weeks prior to that he was a scoring machine.

I was forced to start him, so I’ve been collecting those points.

I wouldn’t let one week of usage stats create a situation where I dropped him. As he could still hold some good flex touchdown value as a starter.

But, if he’s just sitting on the end of your bench… and you want more handcuff lottery ticket type value if pollard or swift were to go down then I could see the case for dropping him.

But Mitchell might be just as likely to get hurt as well and Gus’s snaps drastically increase.

He’s a hold for me, unless you really need someone this week.

The most disparaging part of last week’s game was seeing Justice Hill in for an inside the 5 touch. Gus has been automatic on those. But, Hill got stuffed at the LOS, so I’m not fretting too much.

Last edited:
The Ravens’ official website confirms free agent Gus Edwards is not expected to re-sign with the team.

Edwards was one of a handful of Ravens heading into the “void year” on his deal, and the deadline to extend such players was Monday. Since the Ravens declined to do so with Edwards, he would count against their cap twice for 2024 if he re-signed now. In other words, there is almost no chance he’s back. Edwards has long been a valued role player in the Ravens’ committee backfield, but the team seems to be itching to remake its running back group after 2023’s ongoing injury issues. They have already been loosely connected to impending free agent Derrick Henry. A one-trick pony going on 29 with a recent injury history, Edwards could struggle for a high guarantee on the open market despite last year’s 13 touchdowns.

Chargers agreed to terms with RB Gus Edwards, formerly of the Ravens, on a two-year contract.
One of the most easily predictable signings of all of free agency, Edwards will be reuniting with former Ravens OC Greg Roman in Los Angeles and getting to work for a head coach in Jim Harbaugh who favors balance to the point of run-heaviness. A strict two-down back, Edwards is all but guaranteed to lose efficiency away from Lamar Jackson, but he will be the strong favorite for goal-line duties in what figures to be a completely remade Bolts backfield. One month shy of his 30th birthday, Edwards will probably see just enough high-value touches to return FLEX status in Hollywood.

Chargers GM Joe Hortiz has called Gus Edwards “the bell cow” of the backfield.
“He’s the bell cow, the goal line (guy), the finisher,” was Hortiz’s full quote. “The right mentality for what we’re looking to do here. I told you we wanted to be bigger, play a physical style of football on both sides of the ball and he helps us do that.” This has been the drumbeat around Edwards since the Chargers chose to reunite him with former Ravens OC Greg Roman. The reality is, Edwards is probably going to remain in the 12-15 carry range most weeks, but this is a weak running back draft class, and Edwards will unquestionably be the goal-line back. That means he should be good for another 10-12 touchdowns, and operate as an RB3/FLEX who can serve as your RB2 if needed.

“He’s the bell cow, the goal line (guy), the finisher,” was Hortiz’s full quote. “The right mentality for what we’re looking to do here. I told you we wanted to be bigger, play a physical style of football on both sides of the ball and he helps us do that.” This has been the drumbeat around Edwards since the Chargers chose to reunite him with former Ravens OC Greg Roman. The reality is, Edwards is probably going to remain in the 12-15 carry range most weeks, but this is a weak running back draft class, and Edwards will unquestionably be the goal-line back. That means he should be good for another 10-12 touchdowns, and operate as an RB3/FLEX who can serve as your RB2 if needed.
Color me skeptical. I like Gus and all, but bad OL and no Lamar to made the defense have to defend against QB runs. Herbert can run off scrambles OK, but not a raw running threat. Plus, doubt the Chargers are near the goal-line as often as the Ravens were so 10-12 rushing TDs is very optimistic IMO.

Is there really any world where Edwards even has the 12-15 carries this projects?

Or is it almost guaranteed the Chargers get an RB within the first 3 rounds and maybe another one in rounds 4-6, turning Edwards into even more of a committee back than he was in BAL?

Users who are viewing this thread