What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Jahmyr Gibbs, DET (2 Viewers)

He’s the ****ing Flash man, I swear this guy is pure acceleration
He is fun to watch. Feels like we are seeing a bit of a shift at the RB position to guys like Gibbs/Acane/Keaton Mitchell. Guys who can beat you to the edge instead of pounding it up the gut. I know they've always been there, but it seems to be becoming a bit more prevalent in offensive gameplans.
Yes sir. We are watching the modern NFL take shape. The lighter, quicker, explosion guy that get 10-15 touches a game. They are just fun to watch
Only took 20 years to catch up to college on this

He is fun to watch. Feels like we are seeing a bit of a shift at the RB position to guys like Gibbs/Acane/Keaton Mitchell. Guys who can beat you to the edge instead of pounding it up the gut. I know they've always been there, but it seems to be becoming a bit more prevalent in offensive gameplans.
Yes sir. We are watching the modern NFL take shape. The lighter, quicker, explosion guy that get 10-15 touches a game. They are just fun to watch
Ha ha. Yep. The NFL shifts so much so quickly. Defenses have the players to adjust, but it takes time. 10 years from now these modern rbs might be outdated and we back to the 250 lb bruiser. Remember the wildcat? Ricky William and Ronnie Brown come to mind. The Tebow days.

Ha ha. Yep. The NFL shifts so much so quickly. Defenses have the players to adjust, but it takes time. 10 years from now these modern rbs might be outdated and we back to the 250 lb bruiser. Remember the wildcat? Ricky William and Ronnie Brown come to mind. The Tebow days.
I think mobile QBs and smaller shiftier WRs/RBs are here to stay. Not to say a team can't win by going against the grain ( the Titans had a lot of success with this) but I think the general trends here are just what fits best for the modern game.

Haven't there always been guys of the "small, quick, fast" variety, and some with a long career of usage? Jamaal Charles, Sproles, Chris Johnson? Maybe it's just hard to come by the ones that have all the qualities to make it work, so you don't get them every year like you get bruisers. Just speculating.

Haven't there always been guys of the "small, quick, fast" variety, and some with a long career of usage? Jamaal Charles, Sproles, Chris Johnson? Maybe it's just hard to come by the ones that have all the qualities to make it work, so you don't get them every year like you get bruisers. Just speculating.
Charles and Johnson were 200 lb rbs. I think Sproles is a great example. I think one thing I've really changed my value on from this year is this set weight on what NFL rbs should be. That 200 lb number was just always in my head of what a RB should weigh. It isn't anymore really.

Charles and Johnson were 200 lb rbs. I think Sproles is a great example. I think one thing I've really changed my value on from this year is this set weight on what NFL rbs should be. That 200 lb number was just always in my head of what a RB should weigh. It isn't anymore really.
Wasn't Gibbs 199 at combine? According to pro-football-reference, anyway.

and we have for sure seen the era of the big WR end

I'm seeing on the Google 5'9' and 201 for Gibbs.

I think raw weight sometimes makes less difference than overall body composition. For lighter backs I'd prefer a shorter back at 200 than a lanky 200. Conversely a heavier guy can be better as a tall back, such as a 6'3' Derrick Henry.

Gibbs has 1088 yards from scrimmage and 8 TDs in 12 games, including a very nice 5.7 yards per carry. Over 17 games that projects to 1541 yards and 11 TDs. Not too bad for a guy who was a major reach who should not have been drafted until late round 2.

David Montgomery has 958 yards from scrimmage with 10 TDs with a career best of 4.8 yards per carry in 11 games. Over 17 games that projects to 1480 yards and 15 TDs.

Over 3000 yards from scrimmage and 26 TDs is pretty elite production from a duo.

Gibbs has 1088 yards from scrimmage and 8 TDs in 12 games, including a very nice 5.7 yards per carry. Over 17 games that projects to 1541 yards and 11 TDs. Not too bad for a guy who was a major reach who should not have been drafted until late round 2.

David Montgomery has 958 yards from scrimmage with 10 TDs with a career best of 4.8 yards per carry in 11 games. Over 17 games that projects to 1480 yards and 15 TDs.

Over 3000 yards from scrimmage and 26 TDs is pretty elite production from a duo.

I disagree the notion that Gibbs is in a timeshare and the notion that Gibbs is the #1 back. I expect both backs to be on the field about 2/3rd of the snaps, so about 1/3 Gibbs only, 1/3 Monty only and 1/3 both.

Monty will have about 20 catches, 1100 total yards, 10-12 TD's

Gibbs will have 70 catches, 1600 total yards, and 8-10 TDs.

Two different backs, doing two different roles. The Lions offense is dynamic enough where both will be decent fantasy options.
2700 total yards by RB's (even without any occasional other RB getting in the mix) seems extremely optimistic.
Which brings up this old post of mine replying to one of your posts. Eating my words on that one. Proof is in the pudding.

I disagree the notion that Gibbs is in a timeshare and the notion that Gibbs is the #1 back. I expect both backs to be on the field about 2/3rd of the snaps, so about 1/3 Gibbs only, 1/3 Monty only and 1/3 both.

Two different backs, doing two different roles. The Lions offense is dynamic enough where both will be decent fantasy options.
2700 total yards by RB's (even without any occasional other RB getting in the mix) seems extremely optimistic.
Which brings up this old post of mine replying to one of your posts. Eating my words on that one. Proof is in the pudding.
It’s rare to see this on the board. Classy post!!

It’s rare to see this on the board. Classy post!!
Well, see, I acquired Gibbs in my dynasty league between then and now, so ... 😄

Very classy post. Nothing wrong with disagreement about projections. I am a homer who had very high projections for Gibbs and LaPorta, which turned out to be pretty good projections and were two picks which have helped win a lot of fantasy leagues. People should be skeptical. I am still waiting for Jamo to reach his potential, so there is that.

Very classy post. Nothing wrong with disagreement about projections. I am a homer who had very high projections for Gibbs and LaPorta, which turned out to be pretty good projections and were two picks which have helped win a lot of fantasy leagues. People should be skeptical. I am still waiting for Jamo to reach his potential, so there is that.
I think its just a matter of understanding pie sizes is all.

You were right to be bullish on both of these players.

From a FF perspective, in my standard scoring MFL league Gibbs is #7 in points scored. Montgomery is #10 and Bijan is #12.
Labeling as the the #1 dynasty RB right now is very reasonable imo
I’d probably still rather have Breece Hall.
I love Breece as a player but the difference in age and quality of offense is enough to give Gibbs the slight nod.
Maybe. Maybe not if Ben Johnson leaves.

From a FF perspective, in my standard scoring MFL league Gibbs is #7 in points scored. Montgomery is #10 and Bijan is #12.
I love Breece as a player but the difference in age and quality of offense is enough to give Gibbs the slight nod.
Perhaps but one OL is elite and one is a joke.

Very true. Lots of weapons in Detroit. Great OL. For the sake of Detroit fans, I hope Ben Johnson stays too.

Very true. Lots of weapons in Detroit. Great OL. For the sake of Detroit fans, I hope Ben Johnson stays too.
At this point I would say there is a 2% chance of that

@LionsPR

The only rookies in #NFL history to produce a postseason game with at least 70 rushing yards, 1 rushing TD & 40 receiving yards:

- Lions RB Jahmyr Gibbs (2023)
- Rams RB Cam Akers (2021)
- Raiders RB Marcus Allen (1983)

#AllGrit

I just don't get the usage. Great things happen when he touches the ball.
Dan Campbell has always made it clear he wants thunder and lightning. If Swift was lucky to hit 10 touches, I'll have to be more than happy with Gibbs hitting 15 about half the time.

It’s not as simple as that. Monty is a very good all round runner. There have been games this season where it’s not been happening for Gibbs, and Monty comes back in and yields better results. We can all of course see the natural gifts that Gibbs possesses and how electric he is, but the aforementioned should not be missed. Both these backs are very good, and are like a mirror image of each one 65% thunder 35% lightning, the other a complete flip of the same %s. Different games, D-lines, schemes, situations can call for either of them.

He's just a rookie still. A rookie on a team looking to go the distance. He's also 200 pounds. I think the team wants him fresh so he's as explosive as possible and they pick the right spots to use him. Monty is a good grinder, inside runner and chain mover. Plus ARSB and LaPorta need their touches. The team is winning and Gibbs is racking up fantasy points. I have no complaints whatsoever as a Lions fan or Gibbs manager.

Since he returned from injury in October, he's played at a pace that is equal to a full season of 1561 yards, 60 receptions and 17 TDs. That is 18.7 ppr ppg which isn't CMC but it's top 5 RB scoring. The TD numbers seem difficult to keep up there is also room for his work in the receiving game to increase. And of course the most important part is the talent. He might already be the most dangerous player in space in the NFL.

That is the nature of the RB position now in the NFL. Mostly an RBBC. He's also a rookie playing beside a seasoned vet in Monty. Monty is no slouch either - he's seen everything.

Gibbs has looked great this year, especially as the season has gone on. Lots of good stuff still to come for this guy as he gets more comfortable in the NFL.

but the difference in age

8 months?
I think it’s 10 months. A full season and an ACL. When trading guys, that age number matters. Plus hitting the second deal sooner which can be worrisome, holdouts, etc.
It is close but I agree and I trade Hall for Gibbs in one league (guys were part of a bigger package deal) but the slight age difference and ACL tear is what made me flip Hall and go for Gibbs. I think Hall at this stage is a better rusher and likely get more goal line looks but I think Gibbs has room to grow if he can hit his full potential. RBs come off ACL injuries and do fine but their longevity is often hit as a result (not always but knee damage long term is not great). Both are great RBs but I decided to reset the spot with a younger RB on his first year contract with DET.

Had a great season and a good performance in the playoffs. Costly NFCCG fumble but, big picture, he played well throughout - they don't get that far without him.
  • 29-144-5.0-3
    (rushing TD every playoff game)
  • 11-94-8.5-0 on 14 targets
  • pass pro was good
Future is bright for jah.

Future is very bright, but I also think his running mate is one of the best values in FF. I took Monty in the 10th round of a SF startup, 9 rounds after Gibbs. That is value. Both are gonna be studs in this system for a long time I think.

Users who are viewing this thread