What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RBs to Exploit/Avoid Week 2 (1 Viewer)

Tampa Bay at Carolina (-5)

The Bucs were able to come back and beat the Browns at home last week but it was an ugly win and frankly Cleveland gave the game away with 3 turnovers. I like some of what I see in Tampa Bay but Carolina and their strengths will stop the Bucs for most of the day. I don't care who is throwing the football for Carolina, I expect the dynamic duo at RB to be used extensively.

DeAngelo Williams – Look for him to redeem himself after a very sketchy opening week. Cleveland was running the ball well but shot themselves in the foot with fumbles and a coaching staff that is not committed to sticking with the run, a mistake that John Fox and the Panthers will not repeat this week against the Bucs. If they watch the game tape they will see clearly that Tampa can be run on if you stick with it and can throw a couple balls down the field to keep the safeties honest. Steve Smith will help take care of those problems and look for DeAngelo to have a strong performance. DeAngelo's last 2 games against the Bucs include 180+ and 2 TDs at home in 2008 and 150+ and 2 TDs last year in Tampa on the road. Tampa Bay in their present form is pretty close to those defenses with the addition of perhaps some better play at DT but McCoy and Price are still learning.
Sure hope you are right but those idiots (Fox and the OC) have a propensity to do exactly the opposite of what the game plan should be to win. Case in point 2009 Carolina Vs Buffalo. Dehomme throws 44 times against one of the worst run defenses that year. That equalled a loss in a game that was an esay win. They panicked out of the gate when Buffalo scored and as usual, Delhomme killed drives with INTs.

In my PPR start 2 rb (no flex) dynasty league, my options are:

Deangelo v. Bucs, Knowshon v. Seattle, Arian v. Skins, or J. Charles v. the Browns.

I am gonna roll with Deangelo and Foster. My dilemma was whether or not to sit Charles or Foster. Gonna go with Foster and the greater probability of him getting more touches than Charles. Hopefully Skeletor doesn't have the master plan for stopping this running scheme that he used so many years in Denver.

In my PPR start 2 rb (no flex) redraft, my options are:

Deangelo, Charles, McFadden, or Reggie Bush.

I am gonna rule with Deangelo and McFadden (if Mike Bush is not playing). If Mike Bush is playing, will roll with Jamaal.

Tough choices. My take is that Foster, Charles, and McFadden (if no M. Bush) all project fairly close to each other this week.

switz said:
The Jerk said:
Smart FF owners must factor in the frequency/likelihood of big plays when considering whether to start a "boom/bust" player vs. a plodder, for lack of a better term. I do this at times, too.However, my biggest problem with the "remove this one play and ..." approach is that it is arbitrarily applied. People seem to cherry pick certain players -- in Rovers' case, Mendenhall -- and penalize ONLY them.
I think it's perfectly fair to question a players ability to duplicate an explosive long run, when that player has no real track record of producing those long runs in the NFL. It's not arbitrary at all. We don't say "if you remove his long carry" about Chris Johnson, because he does it time and again. Same thing with Jamaal Charles. But Mendenhall... it's not arbitrary to question his ability to duplicate a long run, he broke only one run longer than 40 yards last year, only 5 over 30 yards.You discount things that odds indicate you cannot depend on. You can depend on some players breaking long runs, you cannot depend on others doing the same. Arbitrary implies there is no basis for deciding when to apply a principle, but that's not the case here.
I think you make some good points Switz but Charles ended the season last year on fire and his long TD run kind of carries over from last year and they don't have the offensive line problems that Dallas has currently. I appreciate your enthusiasm for F. Jones but if I had to rank one over the other this week I'd have to go with Charles over Felix due to situation, opponent and offensive lines. I do agree with you though that if one thinks Felix is a bad or neutral matchup, it should be the same for Barber because there's no real proof on what the Cowboys are going to do inside the 5 yard line. For all i know, T. Choice will come in at the 1 yard line in some wild cat formation and run it in.
My post had nothing to do with Jones, and was in reply to someone saying it was arbitrary for people to question Mendenhall because most of his yardage week 1 came form one long run.I too would start Charles over Felix this week. Though I would still have Felix in as flex.

Im struggling picking my RB2 and Flex. .5ppr, .25ppcarry

starting Peterson

then 2 of:

Addai vs NYG -should get more work this week than last, but still a question mark as to his production every week.

Best vs Philly -he gets all the touches but hasnt done much with them (2 td's aside), tough D but if Bradleys out that should help.

Mcfadden vs STL -if Bush sits out again he's a no-brainer right?

Stewart vs TB -Always does well against TB, but probably not going to beat out my other options with a healthy Deangelo around.
Addai is not a mystery, he has been in the league 4 yeard and is fairly consistent. McFadden has a nice match up this week.

Best is an unknown

Stewart is not the starter
Consider benching Joseph Addai. The Giants' run defense is back, holding Carolina's RBs to 3.5 YPC and no touchdowns last week.

Sunday Morning gut talk...

Tim Hightower...looks like Wells is out for another week according to reports. I would try and get Hightower in your line up, especially if you just went thru the Ryan Grant injury. Hightower plays well on the road in domes.

Michael Turner is going to have a big day

DeAngelo Williams...if not this week then when?

Can both Charles and Thomas do well this week? KC was 3 n out a bunch last week, the offense is still a major work in progress

Dallas has both OL back they were missing last week. Both Felix and MB III could be decent flex options. I would take Felix off the red.

Matt Forte is going to frustrate owners today.

Will LeSean McCoy out gain Michael Vick on the ground?

CJ Spiller has to be better this week, yes/no?

Adrian Peterson needs to have a big game this week and take the VIkings on his back.

Knowshon Moreno has not rushed for 100 yds yet in his career...will today be the day?

Will MJD and Rice have better weeks? Another quiet day and owners could be in an 0-2 hole pretty quick.

Everyone likes Steven Jackson this week except me...

Everyone seems to pencil Foster in for another 100+ yds this week and a score.

Everyone likes Bradshaw this week except me...

Good luck everyone!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going Vick over McCoy.

Foster will go down to about 100 and a score so I'm on board there.

I never like Steven Jackson. Ever.

My money is still on Jacobs in New York eventually.

What are people thinking of Darren McFadden if Michael Bush is a no go?

What are his chance if Bush does play?

With Oakland's late start, some fantasy players have lineup decisions with early game starters (start or bench) who could be alternatives to McFadden.

Any Oakland homers hearing any early buzz on if Michael Bush is playing? Any gut calls?

Chris Johnson – No one is going to do it but you saw what the Steelers did to Turner last week and I expect Chris Johnson's streak of 100 yd games to come to a crashing halt this week. You should think about sitting him this week although I understand everyone is going to start him. I own him in many leagues and I'm not sure I can take my own advice here but if you remove the emotion from it you will understand that this could be Johnson's worst game of the season. How bad will CJ perform? I would safely rank him outside the top10 this week, if he cracked the top20 I would be a little surprised. Tennessee has worked on their passing game and Johnson was bottled up early last week even allowing for Javon Ringer to make an appearance but once Young connected with Nate Washington it opened up the flood gates for Johnson on the ground. I still think Pitt is strong enough to stick with making Young beat them this week.
I'm thinking about sitting CJ this week in favor of Gore and PThomas.... gotta pick 2 of the 3 in .5 PPR. BUT i just don't think i can do it. i hear what you're saying, and last year in week 1 the steelers shut down CJ. He ran for 57 yards, 2nd worst showing of the year last year, and tied for his worst YPC for the year. i agree with you 100% - this is CJ's toughest matchup for the year. also polamalu is healthy.

But things have changed, as you might say, since then. The titans use CJ more effectively now, and VYoung's presence is a benefit.

eh.... seems like one of those calls no matter what i do it will be the wrong call! :shrug:
i knew it i knew it i knew it :wall: :wall: :wall: if only that 85 yard TD run hadn't been called back for holding............ :shrug:

Did Best really put 50 up in PPR leagues? Holy guacamole!!!
65 points in my league with yardage bonses. Money. He looked INCREDIBLE today.
Was Philly well ahead by the time he started going? How much of his damage was done with the game in hand?
Literally almost every time he touched the ball he torched them. He looked as good as a small, fast back can look. And yes, he reminded me very much of another small, electric back.

Was Philly well ahead by the time he started going? How much of his damage was done with the game in hand?
Literally almost every time he touched the ball he torched them. He looked as good as a small, fast back can look. And yes, he reminded me very much of another small, electric back.
Pikachu?

It is a tough thing to grasp, but at some point someone will take notice I guess. Seattle will stop the run. I tried to point it out in this weekly thread last time before the games played. Ho hum.

Denver running game today against Seattle: 38 carries for 65 yards and 2 TD. Longest carry for 9 yards. Each of the two rushing touchdowns came on 3rd and 1 from the 1 yard line after being stopped on first and second down from the 1.

Seahawks are going to be picked apart by QBs because of the lack of a pass rush.

Seattle will continue to stop the run.

It is a tough thing to grasp, but at some point someone will take notice I guess. Seattle will stop the run. I tried to point it out in this weekly thread last time before the games played. Ho hum. Denver running game today against Seattle: 38 carries for 65 yards and 2 TD. Longest carry for 9 yards. Each of the two rushing touchdowns came on 3rd and 1 from the 1 yard line after being stopped on first and second down from the 1.Seahawks are going to be picked apart by QBs because of the lack of a pass rush. Seattle will continue to stop the run.
u sure that's because of the seahawks D and not the fact that 9 yards is about as far as moreno can run?

Best actually racked up most of his stats very early in the game. And then a decent chunk on their last 2 drives when they were mounting the comeback and Philly was trying to stop them. Zero garbage time stat padding for Best this week. My only concern besides injury, is that he pretty much goes down on first contact. He had 2 or 3 plays that he could have busted for 50+ yard TD runs where he got tripped up by a shoelace tackle. Would have been nice if he could have powered through it a bit and caught his balance. On the other hand, he was about > < that close to having 200 yards rushing and 3 TDs on the day too.

It is a tough thing to grasp, but at some point someone will take notice I guess. Seattle will stop the run. I tried to point it out in this weekly thread last time before the games played. Ho hum. Denver running game today against Seattle: 38 carries for 65 yards and 2 TD. Longest carry for 9 yards. Each of the two rushing touchdowns came on 3rd and 1 from the 1 yard line after being stopped on first and second down from the 1.Seahawks are going to be picked apart by QBs because of the lack of a pass rush. Seattle will continue to stop the run.
I hear you but Moreno had about the best day of his career for FF owners. 20+ should land him in the top10 this week. Seattle still is terrible on the road. Hass and the entire offense was horrible in the 1st half and didn't get going till the game was well in hand by Denver. Do you think Seattle will keep RBs gaining 2 yds a clip the whole season? I would bet the over.

Philadelphia at Detroit (+4.5) (41.5)

Jahvid Best – Do not let the 2 TDs fool you. Yes he had some nice moves but the Lions also are still a works in progress moving the football. The good news is they have a back up while Stafford is out that has some real game experience and has performed at a decent level in Shaun Hill. Best had 5 receptions too although he was bottled up. He also posted close to 20 points this week and most owners don't care how he gets those points as long as he scores. Philly is a tough defense though and they shut down Green Bay running the football and actually managed to slow down Aaron Rodgers to some degree. Despite being decimated with injuries last week they still are a strong defense and I would think twice about Best this week. Still the carpet in Detroit should be Best friendly as he makes his home opener debut for the Lions.
it was all good till you wrote this line..stop reading after that..Grant 8-45, 5.5 per carry..

GB as as team , 4.0 per carry,132 yards rushing.. with a never-has-been RB named B. Jackson who runs like he's knee-high in mud..just how is it that the Eagles 'shut down' the GB rushing offense???

you're off base with that one did you watch the game??..GB ran with authority and at will against a soft Philly rush defense.

'shutting down' a teams rushing game doesn't include giving up 132 yards on the ground...they're mutually exclusive..

if 132 yards is shutting down a team's rushing game, what would you call the Jets performance against the Ravens?

Detroit plays better at home and this could be a coming out party for Best...
:mellow: :mellow: :lmao: I'm not going to bump the folks that really blew it and this thread is filled with a lot of them. It's football, folks make statements myself included. Tanner you nailed this one buddy.

Do you think Seattle will keep RBs gaining 2 yds a clip the whole season? I would bet the over.
What's your point? Are you trying to say they won't be effective against the run if they don't hold teams to under 2 ypc? You're better than this, or at least I hope so.

1-Jahvid Best

2-Jason Snelling...wasted points that should have been for Turner

3-LeSean McCoy

4-Adrian Peterson

5-Mike Tolbert...wasted points that maybe could have gone to Mathews

6-Knowshon Moreno

7-Tim Hightower

8-Matt Forte

9-Darren McFadden

10-Arian Foster

11-Steven Jackson

12-Ray Rice

It's amazing the point spread difference though between the top4-5 and the other backs that just made the top12.

Starters that left owners hanging in the wind...Brandon Jackson, DeAngelo, Bradshaw, Charles, Chris Johnson, Cedric Benson, Ronnie Brown, Shonn Greene, Both Dallas RBs

1-Jahvid Best

2-Jason Snelling...wasted points that should have been for Turner

3-LeSean McCoy

4-Adrian Peterson

5-Mike Tolbert...wasted points that maybe could have gone to Mathews

6-Knowshon Moreno

7-Tim Hightower

8-Matt Forte

9-Darren McFadden

10-Arian Foster

11-Steven Jackson

12-Ray Rice

It's amazing the point spread difference though between the top4-5 and the other backs that just made the top12.

Starters that left owners hanging in the wind...Brandon Jackson, DeAngelo, Bradshaw, Charles, Chris Johnson, Cedric Benson, Ronnie Brown, Shonn Greene, Both Dallas RBs
Don't forget about MJD

BTW I think MJD has a field day vs SD.
:shrug: This is a great matchup for MJD. The Chargers' run defense wasn't good last year and doesn't seem much improved this year. Get out the green font for this guy.
Talk about bad posting. WOW.Nice call on this one MOP - you see any improvement in MJD's situation? They were brutal yesterday.
:shrug:
Both you guys sold San Diego short in the opener. Their defense is better than they are given credit for. Not saying they are all stars but they can do fine as long as the offense is working on all cylinders. Rivers is putting together an All Pro season with the aid of a soft schedule but he has no WRs really except Gates who was amazing again yesterday. It's always hard for locals to be objective, I say this every year. MJD will bounce back next week, he has Philly at home who has allowed Forte to score 37 and then Best last week 50...MJD can catch the ball, Philly is having problems picking up the backs in motion.

Both you guys sold San Diego short in the opener. Their defense is better than they are given credit for. Not saying they are all stars but they can do fine as long as the offense is working on all cylinders.
I think we took a pessimistic view of the quality of the SD defense which is still very much an unknown. I don't think this week against a sad sack Jags offense tells us much about the Charger D.Sorry for the hijack.

BTW I think MJD has a field day vs SD.
:thumbup: This is a great matchup for MJD. The Chargers' run defense wasn't good last year and doesn't seem much improved this year. Get out the green font for this guy.
Talk about bad posting. WOW.Nice call on this one MOP - you see any improvement in MJD's situation? They were brutal yesterday.
:bag:
Both you guys sold San Diego short in the opener. Their defense is better than they are given credit for. Not saying they are all stars but they can do fine as long as the offense is working on all cylinders. Rivers is putting together an All Pro season with the aid of a soft schedule but he has no WRs really except Gates who was amazing again yesterday. It's always hard for locals to be objective, I say this every year.

MJD will bounce back next week, he has Philly at home who has allowed Forte to score 37 and then Best last week 50...MJD can catch the ball, Philly is having problems picking up the backs in motion.
Philly played Green Bay Week 1, not Chicago. Grant and Jackson had a pretty good ypc, but not huge numbers otherwise. And Stewart Bradley was out for the second half of Week 1 and all of Week 2. He's almost definitely Philly's best LB against the run. He's expected to be back this week and should make at least some difference.

it was all good till you wrote this line..stop reading after that..Grant 8-45, 5.5 per carry..GB as as team , 4.0 per carry,132 yards rushing.. with a never-has-been RB named B. Jackson who runs like he's knee-high in mud..just how is it that the Eagles 'shut down' the GB rushing offense??? you're off base with that one did you watch the game??..GB ran with authority and at will against a soft Philly rush defense.'shutting down' a teams rushing game doesn't include giving up 132 yards on the ground...they're mutually exclusive..if 132 yards is shutting down a team's rushing game, what would you call the Jets performance against the Ravens? Detroit plays better at home and this could be a coming out party for Best...
:goodposting: :) :goodposting: I'm not going to bump the folks that really blew it and this thread is filled with a lot of them. It's football, folks make statements myself included. Tanner you nailed this one buddy.
If only more people like you had this attitude. Too many seem more concerned about highlighting others bad calls than either making their own or acknowledging when others make good calls. Thanks for being a good sport and setting a good example. :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread