What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

****REAL**** OFFICIAL KERSHAW THREAD (1 Viewer)

WHen does he hit the show?
There are whispers they may put him at the back end of the rotation as soon as this April, but I doubt that...I would think next year would be more reasonable...The DOdgers have been burned with rushing some young pitching "studs" before (read: Edwin Jackson)

Tremendous Upside said:
[icon] said:
There are whispers they may put him at the back end of the rotation as soon as this April, but I doubt that...I would think next year would be more reasonable...The DOdgers have been burned with rushing some young pitching "studs" before (read: Edwin Jackson)
April? Really? I guess if Loaiza implodes and Schmidt's arm never catches up to speed, both are entirely possible. I'd be surprised if they plan to bring him up before the AS break, of course injuries and ineffectiveness by those above him can always alter the plan. What's the most IP's he's pitched in a season? I'm contemplating taking a flier on him as I'm in the late stages of my 16 teamer.

Tremendous Upside said:
[icon] said:
There are whispers they may put him at the back end of the rotation as soon as this April, but I doubt that...I would think next year would be more reasonable...

The DOdgers have been burned with rushing some young pitching "studs" before (read: Edwin Jackson)
April? Really? I guess if Loaiza implodes and Schmidt's arm never catches up to speed, both are entirely possible. I'd be surprised if they plan to bring him up before the AS break, of course injuries and ineffectiveness by those above him can always alter the plan. What's the most IP's he's pitched in a season? I'm contemplating taking a flier on him as I'm in the late stages of my 16 teamer.
Like I said, it's whispers, and I think it is unlikely, but when an article like this:http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...sp&c_id=mlb

hits MLB.com, it needs to at least be mentioned

Tremendous Upside said:
[icon] said:
There are whispers they may put him at the back end of the rotation as soon as this April, but I doubt that...I would think next year would be more reasonable...

The DOdgers have been burned with rushing some young pitching "studs" before (read: Edwin Jackson)
Like I said, it's whispers, and I think it is unlikely, but when an article like this:http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...sp&c_id=mlb

hits MLB.com, it needs to at least be mentioned
Good info, think I'll pass on him for Prior this round but if Kershaw's still lingering at pick 25.392 I'll take a shot on him. Not very confident he'll make it back though.

they should give James McDonald a chance before Kershaw. Kershaw needs more time to develop - 19 year old do not belong in the majors pitching.

they should give James McDonald a chance before Kershaw. Kershaw needs more time to develop - 19 year old do not belong in the majors pitching.
:goodposting: From what I've read here in the LA papers, that is the belief of the Dodger organization as well. They have no desire to bring him up to the big club this year. Right now it is Loaiza, Chan Ho Park, and hopefully Schmidt (in mid-May or early June) that are being considered as options for the 5th starter.

Kershaw was moved up to the majors camp for the end of the spring but wont start the year at the Major League level. Chan Ho, Loaiza and Kuo (left who needs to stop getting hurt) will get the first shot.

Kershaw is 19 and they are being cautious so they end up with another Fernando and not an Edwin Jackson. He may get a few spot starts here and there but it wont be until later this year if he gets the call up permanantly (if at all). Schmidt is expected back (June 1 maybe?) so thats your 5th starter if he is truely back.

The kid is a stud, a lefty and is working with Sandy Koufax to better himself. Stash him for later this year if you can, in keeper leagues grab him for next year....

Another 3 IP outing for Kershaw today...

3 IP, 1 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 6 K's.

Gonna be hard to keep him down for very long.

I think it will be very easy for the Dodgers to keep him down, Kershaw's not in their plan for 08. Only injuries will re-shape that plan, only then might we see Kershaw. I'd rather he stay in AAA for 08, shut him down before his IP's and pitch count get too high, and let him compete for a roster spot in 09.

I think it will be very easy for the Dodgers to keep him down, Kershaw's not in their plan for 08. Only injuries will re-shape that plan, only then might we see Kershaw. I'd rather he stay in AAA for 08, shut him down before his IP's and pitch count get too high, and let him compete for a roster spot in 09.
I guess it remains to be seen. If they are in the race to win the west come August, I could easily see Kershaw joining the pen and Torre managing him the same way Joba was used last year.

I guess it remains to be seen. If they are in the race to win the west come August, I could easily see Kershaw joining the pen and Torre managing him the same way Joba was used last year.
I could see that too. They dont want to over use the guy, esp too soon. He is 19 or 20 so they have time. He believe he will start in AA and move to AAA very soon. Unless injuries happen or Chan Ho, Loaiza and Kuo all implode before Schmidt comes back, I dont expect to see Kershaw until at least July if not Aug.

Well, he had his last outing with the big squad against the Red Sox yesterday before being sent to AA...

4 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 5 K

Final Spring Stats:

14 IP, 8 H, 1 ER, 3 BB, 19 K...0.64 ERA, 0.79 WHIP

Some players you need to bring allong slowly. Others, you don't waste valuable innings in AAA.

They should bring him up now, and pitch him every 6th day. Hell - Tim Lincecum only stayed in AAA for about a month and he turned out OK last year.

Some players you need to bring allong slowly. Others, you don't waste valuable innings in AAA.They should bring him up now, and pitch him every 6th day. Hell - Tim Lincecum only stayed in AAA for about a month and he turned out OK last year.
Lincecum was also 22 and had collegiate experience.If you pitch Kershaw every 6th day, that's an extra days of rest for the other 5 starters - something they are completely not accustomed to.If anything, bring Kershaw out of the pen later this season if he does well in the minors in the first half to give him the experience heading into 2009

With a guy like this why even have him pitching now? Why not start his season in 6-8 weeks? If he lights up the minors for 5-6 starts then bring him up. It will keep him under 150innings for the season while still pitching for the big club down the stretch. Crazy to put mileage on the odometer with a guy like this in the minors. Down really see the downside to doing this. Silly to pitch him now then have to conserve him down the stretch when you actually need him.

Same thing with J. Chamberlain. They should sit him for the first 6-8 weeks of the season then bring him in to start and put in his 140-150 innings. I got to believe this will become common practice with studs like this in the future. Seems like every year their is a young pitcher in this position. Glad the Indians ate up A. Miller's arm last year pitching meaningless innings in the minors.

Same thing with J. Chamberlain. They should sit him for the first 6-8 weeks of the season then bring him in to start and put in his 140-150 innings.
good plan. Unfortunately, there is a really good team a few miles up north that isn't gonna spot the Yankees 6-8 weeks.

Same thing with J. Chamberlain. They should sit him for the first 6-8 weeks of the season then bring him in to start and put in his 140-150 innings.
good plan. Unfortunately, there is a really good team a few miles up north that isn't gonna spot the Yankees 6-8 weeks.
Right the Yanks wouldn't make the playoffs without Joba pitching middle relief. How many innings would he piching in 6-8 weeks? 20?

Right the Yanks wouldn't make the playoffs without Joba pitching middle relief. How many innings would he piching in 6-8 weeks? 20?
Latroy Hawkins/Kyle Farnsworth pitching the 8th instead of Joba could EASILY cost the Yankees 3-4 games over an 8 week span. Have you seen either one pitch?

Last edited by a moderator:
FWIW, Kershaw is supposed to start tonight for the Jacksonville Suns against the West tenn Diamond Jaxx in the AA Southern League.

Colletti was in town to check out Kershaw. Time to move up to AAA????

Kershaw lifts Suns with defensive play Athletic move by pitcher is important in Jacksonville's 4-1 win.By FRANCINE KING, The Times-UnionJacksonville Suns left-hander Clayton Kershaw picked the right night to show off his athleticism. With Los Angeles Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti on hand Friday, Kershaw ignited the crowd of 6,193 at the Baseball Grounds of Jacksonville with a spectacular defensive play in the fourth inning of the Suns' 4-1 win over the Tennessee Smokies.When Smokies catcher Chris Robinson pushed a bunt toward third base, Kershaw raced off the mound for it. Sliding on the infield grass, he scooped it in his glove and launched the ball toward first base as he spun around. The throw was right on target."That was a very athletic play by a very athletic person, running toward the foul line," Suns manager John Shoemaker said. "The thing that was most impressive was being able to right himself and throw accurately, hard. ... You can go to a lot of games and you wouldn't see a play like that in a long time."Kershaw said he thought the play pumped the team up, as well as the fans.It showed in the bottom of that inning, when Suns catcher Lucas May smacked a leadoff double to the warning track and first baseman Russell Mitchell followed with an RBI single to tie the score at 1.Kershaw, a native of Dallas, pitched 62/3 innings, allowing six hits and one run. He settled down after a shaky first inning in which he allowed the Smokies to take a 1-0 lead on an RBI double from right fielder Ryan Harvey, who finished 3 for 3 with two doubles.After the game, Kershaw seemed mildly satisfied with his performance on the mound and said Colletti's presence had little effect on him."Every time you pitch there's going to be somebody watching, so you really don't think about it too much," he said. "It's good to pitch pretty decent in front of him tonight."francine.king@jacksonville.com,(904) 359-4372

That and since the Dodgers were in Miami, it allowed him to kill 2 east coast birds with one stone without having to fly back and forth twice.

From Buster Olney's blog (Saturday 5/3):

• The Dodgers have fashioned preliminary plans of how to integrate star prospect Clay Kershaw, and general manager Ned Colletti planned to watch the left-hander pitch for Double-A Jacksonville on Friday night. The Dodgers intend to limit Kershaw to 150 innings this season, and so it may be that when Kershaw is promoted to the big leagues -- and that will be very soon -- he will get some work out of the rotation, and some out of the bullpen, making his starts intermittently.

To get ready for the big league promotion to the bullpen, Kershaw has been moved to the bull pen here.

.... The Dodgers have informed the Suns they want ace left-hander Clayton Kershaw to make several bullpen appearances in the current series, the first of which could come today. ....

JaxBill said:
To get ready for the big league promotion to the bullpen, Kershaw has been moved to the bull pen here.

.... The Dodgers have informed the Suns they want ace left-hander Clayton Kershaw to make several bullpen appearances in the current series, the first of which could come today. ....
:thumbdown: I had enough with Joba doing this... ### #### yankees starting trends and either costing me keeper spots or my young studs!

JaxBill said:

:unsure: I had enough with Joba doing this... ### #### yankees starting trends and either costing me keeper spots or my young studs!
Lots have guys have taken this route recently. If memory serves both Liriano and Santana did. I think Bedard did too. It's pretty common these days as teams limit IPs.

JaxBill said:

:lmao: I had enough with Joba doing this... ### #### yankees starting trends and either costing me keeper spots or my young studs!
Lots have guys have taken this route recently. If memory serves both Liriano and Santana did. I think Bedard did too. It's pretty common these days as teams limit IPs.
Who cares where he pitches.I'm sick of him eating up an empty spot on my team.

JaxBill said:

:rant: I had enough with Joba doing this... ### #### yankees starting trends and either costing me keeper spots or my young studs!
K-K-Kershaw!!! :blackdot:

Your Kershaw update from Dodgers.com:

Kershaw's promotion likely delayed

After rough Minors outing, Dodgers may wait to call up phenom

MILWAUKEE -- Clayton Kershaw, the 20-year-old phenom, probably pitched himself out of a potential Major League debut this Saturday, Dodgers manager Joe Torre indicated on Tuesday.

Kershaw was inserted back into the rotation for Double-A Jacksonville on Monday night, which would put him on a five-day schedule to start Saturday for the Dodgers in Anaheim. But Kershaw was pushed around by Mobile in the outing, charged with five runs on five hits and two wild pitches in 3 1/3 innings.

"They had him lined up, but he didn't pitch very well," said Torre. "We haven't made the decision, but to me, it's doubtful."

The Dodgers need a fifth starter on Saturday because Esteban Loaiza won't be eligible to be activated from the disabled list until Sunday. The Dodgers won't need a fifth starter again until May 27, another reason why it's doubtful they would call up Kershaw for Saturday.

Players sent to the Minor Leagues must remain there for 10 days. If he pitched Saturday and was sent down, Kershaw wouldn't be eligible to be recalled to pitch on May 27. That's the more likely date for the left-hander's arrival, because the Dodgers then would need a fifth starter virtually every turn through the rotation until the All-Star break. The Dodgers have been trying to limit Kershaw's innings this year because he pitched only 122 innings last year and they want him fresh for a Major League stretch run.

Torre said the logical candidates to start Saturday are long relievers Hong-Chih Kuo and Chan Ho Park, depending on how they are used this week. Kuo has three starts already this year, Park none.

Users who are viewing this thread