What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Redskins in Trouble? (1 Viewer)

I'm starting to wonder where all this Redskins b.s. is coming from. It's been stated over and over again that the Redskins can do enough restructuring to get under the cap without much difficulty. Why do all these other teams feel like they've got such a good idea about the Redskins' cap situation when they haven't seen the contracts they've got already??

Cutting Arington would help a little!

RAPTURE
According to local radio, it wouldn't. Dunno why exactly, could be a bonus somewhere along the line.
it is prohibitively expensive to cut him before the summer starts (thats where it is just as expensive to have a guy OFF your team as on... cutting him doesn't help signing other FAs)... but in a few months... that is a different story...

Several owners believe the Redskins can't get under a $98 million cap because they have so much amortization left on signing bonuses.
Maybe. Or maybe several owners are a bit out of touch with how to structure and restructure contracts to stay under the cap like the Redskins do.

The Redskins have 7-8 core players prepared to restructure as soon as the CBA is not extended. After that happens, they will need to cut only a few players, most of which aren't even starters. (Matt Bowen, Walt Harris, Corey Raymer, Patrick Ramsey, John Hall...etc)

Everyone loves to pile on the Redskins, yet they haven't ever had to do a roster dump like San Fran or Tennesee has. I've also heard crap that the Redskins would have to dump 20 players and they would have to field half a team of undrafted free agent. BS

I have a good feeling the Redskins will suit up at least 19 of their 22 starters from last year come the first week of the season. Their situation is far from grave.

The Redskins have 7-8 core players prepared to restructure as soon as the CBA is not extended. After that happens, they will need to cut only a few players, most of which aren't even starters. (Matt Bowen, Walt Harris, Corey Raymer, Patrick Ramsey, John Hall...etc)

Everyone loves to pile on the Redskins, yet they haven't ever had to do a roster dump like San Fran or Tennesee has. I've also heard crap that the Redskins would have to dump 20 players and they would have to field half a team of undrafted free agent. BS

I have a good feeling the Redskins will suit up at least 19 of their 22 starters from last year come the first week of the season. Their situation is far from grave.
In addition, the front page of the Washington Post has an article about how Redskins worked some deal with Arrington so that they WOULD get cap relief from letting him go.It's funny...folks just LOVE to speculate each year about how the Redskins are going to be in cap hell. But just as has been said earlier in this thread, when the dust settles, they'll probably end up jettisoning Arrington and a few others, but not going through a wholesale roster dump like's being predicted.

M

I'm starting to wonder where all this Redskins b.s. is coming from. It's been stated over and over again that the Redskins can do enough restructuring to get under the cap without much difficulty. Why do all these other teams feel like they've got such a good idea about the Redskins' cap situation when they haven't seen the contracts they've got already??
It's just people repeating something they've heard which they want to believe. Meanwhile Mark Brunell, Clinton Portis, Shawn Springs, Randy Thomas, Renaldo Wynn, and Jon Jansen all have renegotiated contracts ready to sign if the cap stays at $94.5 million, and Arrington is gone as many thought he would be, with some resulting cap savings as well.

In addition, the front page of the Washington Post has an article about how Redskins worked some deal with Arrington so that they WOULD get cap relief from letting him go.
$4.4 million in cap savings from what I read. Makes this whole issue even more of a joke. Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if Snyder has had this deal in his pocket for weeks, knowing that the team's cap situation isn't half as dire as people have made it out to be.

In addition, the front page of the Washington Post has an article about how Redskins worked some deal with Arrington so that they WOULD get cap relief from letting him go.
$4.4 million in cap savings from what I read. Makes this whole issue even more of a joke. Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if Snyder has had this deal in his pocket for weeks, knowing that the team's cap situation isn't half as dire as people have made it out to be.
I think you are correct - this move has been planned for a while. Just didn't get leaked to the press, like so many other moves.

I think you are correct - this move has been planned for a while. Just didn't get leaked to the press, like so many other moves.
In today's noon press conference, Gibbs mentioned that they had a plan in place for an extended CBA...and a plan in place for no CBA. It is looking like their planning is going to pay off either way, with very little turnover to the core starters. In fact, I expect them to be agressive in getting at least one blue chip FA this year, CBA or No CBA...Hopefully I won't have to hear the term "cap hell" and the "Redskins" inthe same sentence for at least another year. :rant:

I've heard on talk radio, Snyder has had plans in place for two years. Supposedly when they signed Portis, Brunell, Springs, two years ago, they left clauses in the contracts to pay them more if they restructured.....Got to love a fantastic businessman like Dan Snyder

As of March 2 the Redskins were supposedly $14.5 million over the cap.

Link to John Clayton article

The Arrington renegotiation/release saves them $4.2 million, I believe, leaving them $10.3 million over. None of the renegotiated contracts with Brunell, Portis, Jansen, Springs, and others (all of which will only go into effect if there is no new CBA) are figured into that amount, since the amounts of those contracts and their cap ramifications have not been made public yet. And we know they're going to release Noble, Tupa, Ramsey (if not traded) and others. It looks like they may get under the cap without losing anyone they didn't want to lose.

As of March 2 the Redskins were supposedly $14.5 million over the cap.

Link to John Clayton article

The Arrington renegotiation/release saves them $4.2 million, I believe, leaving them $10.3 million over. None of the renegotiated contracts with Brunell, Portis, Jansen, Springs, and others (all of which will only go into effect if there is no new CBA) are figured into that amount, since the amounts of those contracts and their cap ramifications have not been made public yet. And we know they're going to release Noble, Tupa, Ramsey (if not traded) and others. It looks like they may get under the cap without losing anyone they didn't want to lose.
Yeah same as every year.....Cap Hell never really seems to come around.

Users who are viewing this thread