What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rick Gosselin 4/16 Mock (1 Viewer)

Futility

Footballguy
AFAIK, this is Rick Gosselin's first mock of the year. He typically does three mock drafts total. Every year football fans ridicule the hell out of his first two (some with good reason) until he shuts them up with his final mock on draft day. In recent years, he's published the most accurate mock drafts in the nation. He even called Matt Jones to Jax last year.

LINK (You'll have to register)

Code:
1. Houston  Reggie Bush  HB  Southern California  Bush was the best player in college football last season and has a Heisman Trophy as proof. He's the best player in this draft and likely will have the first overall pick as proof. Pencil him in today as the 2006 NFL Rookie of the Year.  2. New Orleans  Matt Leinart  QB  Southern California  3. Tennessee  Jay Cutler  QB  Vanderbilt  4. N.Y. Jets  Mario Williams  DE  North Carolina State  5. Green Bay  A.J. Hawk  OLB  Ohio State  6. San Francisco  Vernon Davis  TE  Maryland  7. Oakland  Vince Young  QB  Texas  8. Buffalo  D'Brickashaw Ferguson  OT  Virginia  If there's a run of quarterbacks at the top of the draft, as there is in this mock, an elite player is going to slide. In this case it's Ferguson, the best blocker on the board and a top-three value.  9. Detroit  Michael Huff  CB/S  Texas  10. Arizona  Haloti Ngata  DT  Oregon  11. St. Louis  Jimmy Williams  CB  Virginia Tech  12. Cleveland  Brodrick Bunkley  DT  Florida State  13. Baltimore  Jonathan Joseph  CB  South Carolina  14. Philadelphia  Ernie Sims  OLB  Florida State  15. Denver  Manny Lawson  DE  North Carolina State  16. Miami  Winston Justice  OT  Southern California  17. Minnesota  Chad Greenway  OLB  Iowa  18. Dallas  Santonio Holmes  WR  Ohio State  With two starting wideouts in their 30s, the Cowboys need some youth on the flank. Holmes brings big-play potential in the Terry Glenn mold, averaging 18.4 yards per catch last season.  19. San Diego  Antonio Cromartie  CB  Florida State  20. Kansas City  Tamba Hali  DE  Penn State  21. New England  Bobby Carpenter  OLB  Ohio State  22. Denver  Laurence Maroney  HB  Minnesota  23. Tampa Bay  John McCargo  DT  North Carolina State  24. Cincinnati  Donte Whitner  S  Ohio State  25. N.Y. Giants  DeAngelo Williams  HB  Memphis  A run on defensive players in the teens could push the bulk of the running-back board into the 20s. Good backs like Laurence Maroney and DeAngelo Williams could fall into the laps of good teams.  26. Chicago  Tye Hill  CB  Clemson  27. Carolina  LenDale White  HB  Southern California  28. Jacksonville  Ashton Youboty  CB  Ohio State  29. N.Y. Jets  Kamerion Wimbley  DE  Florida State  30. Indianapolis  Joseph Addai  HB  LSU  31. Seattle  Chris Chester  G  Oklahoma  32. Pittsburgh  Jason Allen  CB/S  Tennessee

Interesting.

I doubt TEN would take Cutler at #3 they could easily take him but perhaps they could find a team wanting Brick to trade with and still get him in the top 13 or so

I cant believe there is still Leinart-to-New Orleans talk. It just doesnt make any sense. Yet if Gosselin is predicting it, there must be SOME truth to the Saints interest.

The draft is going to be fun ths year.

I cant believe there is still Leinart-to-New Orleans talk. It just doesnt make any sense. Yet if Gosselin is predicting it, there must be SOME truth to the Saints interest.

The draft is going to be fun ths year.
In an interview posted here, Gosselin mentioned that he wouldn't rule out a QB (particularly Leinart considering he's the most NFL ready) in New Orleans b/c Brees might not even be ready to start the season. In addition to that, Gosselin doesn't incorporate trades into his mocks, so it might be an attempt to slot Leinart in the correct position (possibly anticipating a Jets/Saints trade), even if it's the wrong team.

I cant believe there is still Leinart-to-New Orleans talk. It just doesnt make any sense.
Like how the Texans don't need Bush with DD but he's too good to pass up. Maybe Payton loves Leinart, he's sure gotten his share of press clippings himself.

I also liked how the Giants would consider a RB in round one after Tikis monster season last year. Never say never.

Goose is the BEST. I'm surprised he projects none of the teams in the bottom 12 to take a tight end. The Bears desperately need one. And Cutler to the Titans would be a bombshell. Haven't seen that one in any mock. And as a Rams homer, I would bet the StL takes Bunkley over Jimmy Williams. Although if one of the Big 3 QBs makes it to them, they would take him.

I also liked how the Giants would consider a RB in round one after Tikis monster season last year. Never say never.
He's 31. While the Giants have other needs, they wouldnt be the first team to draft a RB without an obvious immediate need.

That Bobby Carpenter to New England draft pick seems to be picking up a lot of steam in many mocks. Wouldn't bother me one bit either.

20. Kansas City Tamba Hali DE Penn State

26. Chicago Tye Hill CB Clemson
In the end, this is my sole point of contention.If Hill is there, KC should take him.

Surtain is great, but their #2 CB, in the AFC West, is more of a need than relacing Hicks.

I might overestimate Hill, but IMO he's the perfect fit.

Brick to Buffalo would be a boon to us McGahee / Evans owners.

Last edited by a moderator:
As for the Eagles, I would be shocked if they went Sims. Too many factors go against LB in the first.

They don't place high value on LBs in their system.

They just signed Barber to start on the outside.

They still hope Matt McCoy can develop.

In that scenario, the Eagles would select Winston Justice if he fell to them.

I have some trouble with the O linemen here.... only 3 in the first round, and Chester as the first guard to Seattle? I think the Jets would be hard pressed to pass on a RT, Gilles or Mangold at 29, going with a second defensive pick in Wimbley. I know it's a deep draft for O linemen, but the kind of value that teams are passing on in this mock seems a bit overwhelming.

4. N.Y. Jets  Mario Williams  DE  North Carolina State  29. N.Y. Jets  Kamerion Wimbley  DE  Florida State    
With Vilma roaming the field... the 4-3/3-4 hybrid with blitzing scheme...holy macro!... wouldn't I love to be the opposing QB for the next few years!... :eek:

good point about how a lot of defensive players will go off the board in the teens (i do think DEN could take any of three RBs with #15)... looking at the twenties, there are then a BUNCH of teams that might want a RB BEFORE colts & steelers...

21. NE (dillon getting old... deangelo would look good here)

22. DEN (they could use the #15 so they don't get scooped by NE... then again, same three RBs might be avail 7 picks later)

25. NYG (tiki getting old... williams would fit here as well)

27. CAR (foster not durable... white & maroney could fit well)

28. JAX (taylor getting old)

29. NYJ (martin getting old)

i would kind of like it if all the RBs (top 4) get snatched up before IND, & they get addai... i have 1.3 & 1.4 in one draft, & might end up with choice of best two RBs/opportunity combination from among deangelo, maroney & white... & all those teams are good (with possible/probable exception of jets)...

no Chad Jackson?

I find it hard to beleive that arguably the best WR won't go in the first.

Doesn't Detroit have a pick?

;)

Goose is the BEST.
Gosselin is an insider if there ever was one. I strongly agree with some of these projections and just scratch my head over others.IF there's an early run on QBs the top ten will probably look just like he projects. But I doubt that happens.

I like picks 11-17. Can Justice fall that far? Should Jimmy Williams be so high? Joseph before Hill? Lawson to Denver at 15? I say yes yes yes yes.

I think the shock of the mock is Chris Chester going as the first guard in the draft.

good point about how a lot of defensive players will go off the board in the teens (i do think DEN could take any of three RBs with #15)... looking at the twenties, there are then a BUNCH of teams that might want a RB BEFORE colts & steelers...

22. DEN (they could use the #15 so they don't get scooped by NE... then again, same three RBs might be avail 7 picks later)

i would kind of like it if all the RBs (top 4) get snatched up before IND, & they get addai... i have 1.3 & 1.4 in one draft, & might end up with choice of best two RBs/opportunity combination from among deangelo, maroney & white... & all those teams are good (with possible/probable exception of jets)...
I have been seeing five RB's going in the first round in alot of mocks recently, all have Adai going to Indy. Not only does this make guys with the 1.5 rookie pick happy, i think it makes the guys with 1.2 have to consider taking Adai there.

good point about how a lot of defensive players will go off the board in the teens (i do think DEN could take any of three RBs with #15)...
I like the idea of Denver taking two WRs. There were whispers that they were trying to trade Lelie earlier this offseason and well their receiving corps is held together by a grey beard. I wonder what Shanny would do if Rod got hurt or played like his age. Anyhow, how crazy do you think that scenario is? Two WRs in round 1?

I have been seeing five RB's going in the first round in alot of mocks recently, all have Adai going to Indy. Not only does this make guys with the 1.5 rookie pick happy, i think it makes the guys with 1.2 have to consider taking Adai there.
The whole class of backs seems to be gaining respect (with the exception of White). Rang called this a deep and strong group. Williams and Maroney doubters are having second thoughts. Addai is moving higher. Drew, Calhoun, and Harrison (finally) seem to have a lot of attention (from nfl teams). My boy Norwood seems like an afterthought (oh well), but Andre Hall, Taurean Henderson and Leon Washington are regularly getting more praise than they were. I think they're all having solid interviews and workouts as they make the rounds. I know Addai is a very solid interview (I should rethink my low opinion of him). There was a time not long ago when only 5 or 6 backs were expected to go on the first day, and it still may turn out that way. I've recently seen some solid mockers with 9 and 10 RBs on day one.

Code:
4. N.Y. Jets  Mario Williams  DE  North Carolina State  29. N.Y. Jets  Kamerion Wimbley  DE  Florida State
With Vilma roaming the field... the 4-3/3-4 hybrid with blitzing scheme...holy macro!... wouldn't I love to be the opposing QB for the next few years!... :eek:
I'm assuming one of these guys would be converted to LB? Otherwise, I see absolutely no reason to draft two DE's with Ellis locked up long term. There are a number of other picks that would better suit the Jets at the 29 pick if they go Mario with the 4.

why is chad jackson not in the first round and santonio holmes goes 19? i dont get it, teams have been far more impressed with jackson than holmes and his stock is now higher than that of holmes'

why is chad jackson not in the first round and santonio holmes goes 19? i dont get it, teams have been far more impressed with jackson than holmes and his stock is now higher than that of holmes'
Maybe, but I still see Holmes higher here and there. Holmes has less question marks. I like Holmes better if Dallas has to take a WR. He was way more productive. He's a proven route runner, something Jackson may have struggled with in workouts. He's a proven downfield blocker and Jackson isn't. He's been more dangerous after the catch. They both have good hands and great speed. Jackson is bigger, but that's about it and Holmes has reputation for being very tough. I have no idea who will actually go first, but as has been mentioned Gosselin knows what he's talking about. We'll know soon enough.

Patoons, Wimbley is projecting to be a top-notch 3-4 OLB. Mario is a fit in either the 4-3 or 3-4.

Holmes to Dallas just really doesn't make sense to me. Dallas has more pressing needs than getting a #4 WR. Factor in Parcells' stated aversion to 1st round WRs, and it just doesn't work.

Dallas is try to win NOW. Why burn a 1st rounder on a guy who won't likely play significant minutes in 2006? Especially when there are other guys on the board at that spot who present value and will likely play significantly in 2006?

:shrug: I guess that's why he gets paid to do these sorts of things and I don't.

A damn good mock. I could easily see the top 10 unfolding in that manner, and I know the Chargers had Cromartie in for a personal visit a week ago.

This might be the best mock I've seen yet.

That Bobby Carpenter to New England draft pick seems to be picking up a lot of steam in many mocks.  Wouldn't bother me one bit either.
:goodposting: You and me both Boston...didn't think he would slide to us at #21, but many mocks are starting to show him available after the top 20. I was thinking that if Deangelo was here the Pats would take him, but now I just am not so sure due to durability. There are a few RBs going in the second round I could see the Pats reaching for.

As for the Eagles, I would be shocked if they went Sims. Too many factors go against LB in the first.

They don't place high value on LBs in their system.

They just signed Barber to start on the outside.

They still hope Matt McCoy can develop.

In that scenario, the Eagles would select Winston Justice if he fell to them.
They would pick Sims if they think he is "that good". That being said, I agree that they would instead take Justice - or Chad Jackson.

Code:
4. N.Y. Jets  Mario Williams  DE  North Carolina State  29. N.Y. Jets  Kamerion Wimbley  DE  Florida State    
With Vilma roaming the field... the 4-3/3-4 hybrid with blitzing scheme...holy macro!... wouldn't I love to be the opposing QB for the next few years!...  :eek:
I'm assuming one of these guys would be converted to LB? Otherwise, I see absolutely no reason to draft two DE's with Ellis locked up long term. There are a number of other picks that would better suit the Jets at the 29 pick if they go Mario with the 4.
Exactly... Wimbley would be the tweener pass rusher... ala Shawne Merriman, David Pollack, Demarcus Ware - all DEs from last year's draft playnig OLB... (6'4" - 250 - 4.60/40 , 42 vertical) lovely... only Lawson seems to have more upside this year in that role...

Maybe, but I still see Holmes higher here and there. Holmes has less question marks. I like Holmes better if Dallas has to take a WR. He was way more productive. He's a proven route runner, something Jackson may have struggled with in workouts. He's a proven downfield blocker and Jackson isn't. He's been more dangerous after the catch. They both have good hands and great speed. Jackson is bigger, but that's about it and Holmes has reputation for being very tough. I have no idea who will actually go first, but as has been mentioned Gosselin knows what he's talking about. We'll know soon enough.
I agree. I think Holmes should be rated higher than Jackson. That said, I'm not that high on either guy. But it would not suprise me to see Chad Jackson slip to the bottom of the first round. He's too raw to make an immediate impact.I was suprised to see him having Winston Justice drop to #16. But if he gets past Detroit at #9, it's very possible.

According to memory, Jackson was way more productive last year in college. But I could be wrong. Also, maybe this is a dumb question, but where is Reggie Bush in this mock? I can't find him? Did he decide to go back to college? :o

I do not think D'Brickashaw Ferguson will last until the 8th pick not with some of the team before that needing OL help.

According to memory, Jackson was way more productive last year in college. But I could be wrong. Also, maybe this is a dumb question, but where is Reggie Bush in this mock? I can't find him? Did he decide to go back to college? :o
We're both wrong. They were pretty even. Neither got a 1000 yards. Chad 900, Santonio 977. Chad caught a lot more balls. Santonio had a much bigger yards per catch number. Chad had 9 tds, Santonio 11. :shrug:

Top pick down?

Top pick down?
:bag: Holy Balls I'm an idiot! :wall:

Users who are viewing this thread