What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rules Question (1 Viewer)

derek245583

Footballguy
Did a search, couldnt find a thread dedicated to this.

Runner on second, 1 out.

Guy hits a line drive and it hits the pitchers glove. Ball flies in the air to the SS, who catches it and steps on second base.

Runner on second never goes back to tag up, he freezes when the ball was hit, then just takes off for 3rd once it hits the pitchers glove.

Umpire called him safe at third. I am fairly certain the runner should be out.

What say you?

Why would the umpire call him safe? That seems like an odd choice. It's basically a line out, or pop out. Doesnt matter that it happened to hit another players glove before he caught it. Have seen dozens of instances of guys bobbling it and another guy on the team catching it.

Runner on second, 1 out.

Guy hits a line drive and it hits the pitchers glove. Ball flies in the air to the SS, who catches it and steps on second base.

Runner on second never goes back to tag up, he freezes when the ball was hit, then just takes off for 3rd once it hits the pitchers glove.

What say you?
If he still was on the base when the ball was touched by the pitcher, he is free to advance even if the ball hasn't been caught yet.

But if he was off the base, he still needs to go back and tag up.

I am assuming he already was off the base, but I am not 100 percent certain based on your description.

Runner on second, 1 out.

What say you?
If he still was on the base when the ball was touched by the pitcher, he is free to advance even if the ball hasn't been caught yet.

But if he was off the base, he still needs to go back and tag up.

I am assuming he already was off the base, but I am not 100 percent certain based on your description.
That makes sense. Other wise an outfielder could intentionally juggle the ball so he could double up a runner tagging up.

in the early days of pro baseball, outfielders became adept at purposely juggling a pop fly, as they walked it back to the infield, to keep runners from tagging up. Hence, the rule.

at least that's in my memory banks. couldn't find a definitive link about it.

Users who are viewing this thread