What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rumor that Millen is interviewing people for GM! (1 Viewer)

On a Lions board I frequent, I came across this post. It states that Rick Speilman is interviewing for the job reportedly later this week. He would then be out of player personell decisions. Wow! If it's true, it's the best news I've heard all season. Cheers... :banned:

Here's the link to the board...

http://mb17.scout.com/flionsfansfrm1.showM...cID=68151.topic
that would lend to my parcells pipe dream, he could get his own groceries here in DET

Last edited by a moderator:
On a Lions board I frequent, I came across this post. It states that Rick Speilman is interviewing for the job reportedly later this week. He would then be out of player personell decisions. Wow! If it's true, it's the best news I've heard all season. Cheers... :banned:

I could see how Millen would be entrusted in making this key decision for the organization given his track record with the coaching staff.

On a Lions board I frequent, I came across this post.  It states that Rick Speilman is interviewing for the job reportedly later this week.  He would then be out of player personell decisions.  Wow!  If it's true, it's the best news I've heard all season.  Cheers... :banned:

I could see how Millen would be entrusted in making this key decision for the organization given his track record with the coaching staff.
Who else should make it? The guy who hired Millen originally AND then gave him an extension. I mean Matt's got to see the writing on the wall when the FOX guys are busting in on him too.

I think this shows MIllen is smarter than we thought. He realizes that if this next coach doesn't pan out, he's gone. So he hires a GM, who makes the coach decision, and - bingo - more job security.

From the Detroit Free Press this morning:

Lions president Matt Millen finally responded to the "Fire Millen" movement Tuesday -- the signs, the chants, the T-shirts.And he didn't fire back."All that fan stuff? I understand it completely," Millen said. "They could not have been more disappointed and more upset at how this season went than we were in this building. To be honest with you, this hurt this year. It really, really bothered me."How badly did it bother him?"I didn't sleep very well. I turned white," Millen said, referring to his hair. "This was the worst thing I ever went through."I didn't blame those people one bit. I was more ticked off than they were."Millen met with four newspaper writers in a conference room at team headquarters in Allen Park, making his first extensive public comments since Nov. 28, when he fired Steve Mariucci.At one point, Millen turned to Lions chief operating officer Tom Lewand."He sat there right with me," Millen said, "and he saw my teeth clenched, and he saw my blood pressure go through the roof."Millen said this season might have been the most disappointing one he ever had endured -- more disappointing than when he was a player, when his college team at Penn State lost the national championship, when two of his great NFL teams lost in the playoffs.The Lions thought they could win their division this season. They thought they could host a playoff game the season the Super Bowl comes to their home stadium, Ford Field. But they finished 5-11, one game worse than last season. Millen's record fell to 21-59 for his five-year tenure.After Millen fired Mariucci as coach, many fans, frustrated with a franchise that has won one playoff game since 1957, targeted Millen. The media, especially talk radio, helped fan the flames. Chants of "Fire Millen" were heard during the Lions' final two home games -- and even during Pistons and Red Wings games.Asked if he ever considered quitting, Millen bristled."No," he said emphatically. "Never."He shifted in his chair."All that does is make us more determined," he said. "And I know that sounds like a trite answer and a cliché, but there's no way that we ..."He let his voice trail off, thinking better of continuing emotionally."Oh, whatever," he finished.Millen, 47, didn't want to discuss whether he had offered to step down or if team owner William Clay Ford had given him a private vote of confidence. But clearly both have happened.Ford, who has been unavailable for interviews, gave Millen a five-year contract extension, locking him up through 2010, before the season even started. He did so even though the Lions were 16-48 with Millen at the time, even though that was the worst record in the NFL in that span. (His original contract was for five years, $15 million; terms of his extension were never revealed.)It's up to Millen to turn things around, and he said he was up to it -- hiring a permanent coach, a tough, disciplined guy to fit Detroit, and tinkering with the roster, which he still thinks has the talent to win."I mean this sincerely: I wouldn't trade positions with any GM in the league," Millen said. "And you want to know why? Because I believe what we have here is going to work. I believe that 100%, and I believe the people in this building believe that."We did not get it done, and there's reasons for that, and we'll correct those freaking things. I believe we have what it takes here. Maybe nobody else does. Maybe they don't. They don't have to."Only we have to believe it."
The man is so over his head.

Can they really pay him all that money to just hire somebody else to make all the decisions? Seems weird to me...
You are talking about a team that is owned by an automotive scion. The beauracracy in an automotive company is government-like. This would not be a surprise for the Lions to start adding management types. Plus it even insulates Millen more from criticism internally.

Lots of teams have a president and vp of football operations etc.Maybe Millen really is better with numbers than with people. He might actually be a smart business man and have great vision. It is hoever painfully obvious that he is an utter failure as a GM.I can't say I understand the Ford's (as a manager you should never promote someone for being inompetent) but if this get Millen away from making football decisions then the Lions will undoubtedly be a better team and I am all for it.

I can't say I understand the Ford's (as a manager you should never promote someone for being inompetent)
Naive... this is how the many, not only the Auto industry are run..."peter principle"

I can't say I understand the Ford's (as a manager you should never promote someone for being inompetent)
Naive... this is how the many, not only the Auto industry are run..."peter principle"
You say naive - I say principled. I happen to be the boss of about 40 people and I can assure you that the Peter principle does not exist on my turf.

You say naive - I say principled. I happen to be the boss of about 40 people and I can assure you that the Peter principle does not exist on my turf.
I am not challenging YOUR management style, I am stating that if you believe your Management style is the only style, or that the Peter Principle doesn't exist elswhere you may be a very good naive manager... I only manage, I am not their boss, 15 folks, and getting them "out of the comfort zone" works.... my style of mgmt is NOT correct for the NFL. We are not developing career and individual growth paths for President of Football ops where I work

Last edited by a moderator:
Fair enough - and considering the way the Ford's are running their main show into the ground perhaps they are testing the limits of the Peter principle even further (why stop promoting when you have found the individual level of incompetence - push the guy up from there and see what happens...) ;)

Fair enough - and considering the way the Ford's are running their main show into the ground perhaps they are testing the limits of the Peter principle even further (why stop promoting when you have found the individual level of incompetence - push the guy up from there and see what happens...)

;)
you are RIGHT!!

Wow.. let's move him further UP the food chain, rather than removing him from it altogether... :wall: :rant: :hot:

Users who are viewing this thread