What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Russian Spy Ring Caught Exporting Weapons & Technology - A Few Blocks From My House (1 Viewer)

Anarchy99

Footballguy
I live in Boring Town USA, a small New England bedroom community where nothing ever happens. The FBI just took down a Russian Spy ring that acquired and then exported weapons, technologies, and components that could be used in nuclear devices back to Russia, The kicker is the house is a few blocks from where I live. It's a typical house with Christmas decorations in a family neighborhood. The whole thing is straight out of The Americans. There's a lengthy in-depth article posted on the Boston Globe site, but you have to be a subscriber to read it.

LINK

(If this is considered too political, mods feel free to delete this thread).

Pretty crazy/cool. Curious to find out what you knew of them, if anything, or what else you hear locally.

I live in Boring Town USA, a small New England bedroom community where nothing ever happens. The FBI just took down a Russian Spy ring that acquired and then exported weapons, technologies, and components that could be used in nuclear devices back to Russia, The kicker is the house is a few blocks from where I live. It's a typical house with Christmas decorations in a family neighborhood. The whole thing is straight out of The Americans. There's a lengthy in-depth article posted on the Boston Globe site, but you have to be a subscriber to read it.

LINK

If “My Neighbor is a Russian spy” threads become a no go then we’re done here.

Among the items illegally obtained through Brayman was a military-grade spectrum analyzer that has battlefield and countersurveillance uses, prosecutors said. When it eventually arrived in Russia and didn't work, one of the people charged in the alleged scheme emailed the U.S. company to complain, and when the company's representative noted the sanctions that apply to the equipment, the Russian replied, "I've purchased this unit from you not as myself, but as a US company, with US shipping address."
:lol:

LINK

Is the mom super smoking hot?

LINK

Is the mom super smoking hot?
If that completes your James Bond femme fatale international espionage fantasy, then yes.

do we know if they smoked in the shower or had screwdriver scars? dead giveaway to pick a russian out of a crowd.

also, why do you think every strip mall in america has a take out chinese place? it’s not because we all love chinese food.

Pretty crazy/cool. Curious to find out what you knew of them, if anything, or what else you hear locally.
Not surprisingly, I don't believe I know them or have seen them (if I have, nothing rings a bell). I recognized their house immediately, as my daughter's friend lives a few houses away (but the next street over). I heard one of the neighbors interviewed this morning, and he never suspected anything. Said they seemed like normal people that were friendly but quiet, and mostly kept to themselves. Their cover was that they were running an arts and crafts business out of the house and were online merchants. I also saw comments from a UPS or Prime driver who brought them packages all the time. He said he brought them got a ton of deliveries, and now that he thinks about it, a lot of them seemed way heavier than the traditional home business. Other neighbors also chimed in that they got deliveries pretty much all day long.

The other funny element of this is a different neighbor somehow got wind of the FBI investigation a couple of weeks ago and posted on a town forum that the feds were investigating and staking out the house. People thought this person was crazy and commented that we were also getting invaded by aliens on the weekend, there was a Big Foot sighting, and there was a pack of unicorns spotted in the field down the road. No one took the post seriously, not even a little bit. Yet here we are now.

The other funny element of this is a different neighbor somehow got wind of the FBI investigation a couple of weeks ago and posted on a town forum that the feds were investigating and staking out the house.
How the heck did he figure that out? OPSEC down?

The other funny element of this is a different neighbor somehow got wind of the FBI investigation a couple of weeks ago and posted on a town forum that the feds were investigating and staking out the house.
Apparently, they started canvassing the neighbors for general information about any suspicious activity on the street, they had the place staked out 24/7 from down the street, and they had unmarked vehicles doing drive-bys all the time. The person put two and two together and thus posted that something was about to go down. Not sure how they got more details or what exactly they posted, but my wife saw it when it showed up on the town forum and laughed it off. Another question would be how the feds missed that someone had posted about it, and how they didn't get the post taken down. The only thing I can think of is the feds played their trump card a while ago and the media didn't get wind of it until yesterday. That would make the most sense.

Not surprisingly, I don't believe I know them or have seen them (if I have, nothing rings a bell). I recognized their house immediately, as my daughter's friend lives a few houses away (but the next street over). I heard one of the neighbors interviewed this morning, and he never suspected anything. Said they seemed like normal people that were friendly but quiet, and mostly kept to themselves. Their cover was that they were running an arts and crafts business out of the house and were online merchants. I also saw comments from a UPS or Prime driver who brought them packages all the time. He said he brought them got a ton of deliveries, and now that he thinks about it, a lot of them seemed way heavier than the traditional home business. Other neighbors also chimed in that they got deliveries pretty much all day long.

The other funny element of this is a different neighbor somehow got wind of the FBI investigation a couple of weeks ago and posted on a town forum that the feds were investigating and staking out the house. People thought this person was crazy and commented that we were also getting invaded by aliens on the weekend, there was a Big Foot sighting, and there was a pack of unicorns spotted in the field down the road. No one took the post seriously, not even a little bit. Yet here we are now.

I gotta believe a 25% hit ratio in the conspiracy theory business is pretty good.

Apparently, they started canvassing the neighbors for general information about any suspicious activity on the street, they had the place staked out 24/7 from down the street, and they had unmarked vehicles doing drive-bys all the time. The person put two and two together and thus posted that something was about to go down. Not sure how they got more details or what exactly they posted, but my wife saw it when it showed up on the town forum and laughed it off. Another question would be how the feds missed that someone had posted about it, and how they didn't get the post taken down. The only thing I can think of is the feds played their trump card a while ago and the media didn't get wind of it until yesterday. That would make the most sense.
Huh. A couple of suits approached me in front of my house a few years ago and asked me if I knew the guy across the street from me. I told them not really and we had a short conversation about how nobody knows their neighbors anymore. I didn’t really know the guy much, but I also wasn’t diming him out to some suits that didn’t identify themselves.

Now I’m wondering if I didn’t enable Russian spies or something.

Huh. A couple of suits approached me in front of my house a few years ago and asked me if I knew the guy across the street from me. I told them not really and we had a short conversation about how nobody knows their neighbors anymore. I didn’t really know the guy much, but I also wasn’t diming him out to some suits that didn’t identify themselves.

I always wondered when the authorities go door-to-door asking about someone that lives nearby what the point was. "Now that you mention it, I DO remember my next-door neighbor driving a beat-up van, hearing lots of women screaming, looking out the window and seeing girls getting dragged out of the van and into the basement by their hair. Come to think of it, I can't say I ever remember seeing any of them leave. Thought I saw some bloody footprints a few times, but that was probably nothing."

I get that they have to ask around and sometimes they might get some leads or added info, but I doubt people have signs on their lawn saying: "Discounted pharmaceutical drugs sold here," or in this case, the residents hanging a Russian flag outside their door or having people over for a slide show of their trip to the Kremlin.

If I did have some interaction with these folks, I don't see any scenario or conversation where I would say, "So Alexey, you seem to get a lot of deliveries, what on earth are you getting sent to you constantly?" Where I live, delivery drivers constantly leave packages meant for my neighbors, and I just walk them over. They order stuff all the time, never asked them what they get, never even dawned on me to ask, and more importantly, I don't really care. And they never offered up what they ordered either. I guess now I should probably ask them if they are building any explosive devices in their garage.

I always wondered when the authorities go door-to-door asking about someone that lives nearby what the point was. "Now that you mention it, I DO remember my next-door neighbor driving a beat-up van, hearing lots of women screaming, looking out the window and seeing girls getting dragged out of the van and into the basement by their hair. Come to think of it, I can't say I ever remember seeing any of them leave. Thought I saw some bloody footprints a few times, but that was probably nothing."

I get that they have to ask around and sometimes they might get some leads or added info, but I doubt people have signs on their lawn saying: "Discounted pharmaceutical drugs sold here," or in this case, the residents hanging a Russian flag outside their door or having people over for a slide show of their trip to the Kremlin.

If I did have some interaction with these folks, I don't see any scenario or conversation where I would say, "So Alexey, you seem to get a lot of deliveries, what on earth are you getting sent to you constantly?" Where I live, delivery drivers constantly leave packages meant for my neighbors, and I just walk them over. They order stuff all the time, never asked them what they get, never even dawned on me to ask, and more importantly, I don't really care. And they never offered up what they ordered either. I guess now I should probably ask them if they are building any explosive devices in their garage.
Yeah, I wonder how many of the neighbors who are talking about all the deliveries that constantly went there actually noticed it enough to stick out at the time, versus how many of them are just now saying that based on the news.

LINK

Thanks for bringing this up. I hadn't heard about it.
Along with a couple other subjects, I deliver export compliance awareness training at work. Being in the area it was nice to reference this in training I did this morning. Made the topic slightly less boring.

I Beverly Hill's Copped a neighborhood stake out back in the day. I didn't Bannana them, but did walk right up to the car making a scene asking if they were there to rob houses, lol. We had a bunch of break ins at the time. I was shocked to learn they were on our force. Thought I knew everyone. That was funny.

This is something they do if someone is working on a security clearance (interview friends/neighbors) so my first guess would be that, but of course could have been part of an investigation as well.

LINK

User name checks out.

Full disclosure, this time of year my wife orders a ton of stuff online. There have been days when I could not even get to our front door after work because so many packages piled up outside.

It also was a running gag in our house because my dad’s side of the family is Russian and Ukrainian. I told my wife just tell people you don’t know anything, as there won’t be a paper trail to tie things back to us.

Users who are viewing this thread