What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Saints LB's (1 Viewer)

saints guy

Footballguy
With D Rodgers now out of the picture it looks like C Watson will move to the WLB. Saints backers are all young so R McKinnon was brought in to stabilize and provide leadership and will move to MLB while the youngsters learn. Nice move by the saints which should allow the young guys to come along properly.IMO

Last edited by a moderator:
With D Rodgers now out of the picture it looks like C Watson will move to the WLB. Saints backers are all young so R McKinnon was brought in to stabilize and provide leadership and will move to MLB while the youngsters learn. Nice move by the saints which should allow the young guys to come along properly.
I'm sorry, but do you have a link? This just seems like a HUGE leap of faith on your part and is based on speculation, not facts. Show me where Haslett states that this is going to happen, or is even being considered and I will eat my words...

"Weak-side linebacker Colby Bockwoldt is playing the strong-side spot in Allen's absence. Cie Grant is starting on the weak side."

"Haslett said they considered moving middle linebacker Courtney Watson to the weak side and starting rookie Alfred Fincher inside with Bockwoldt moving to strong side, but decided against it."

link

"Weak-side linebacker Colby Bockwoldt is playing the strong-side spot in Allen's absence. Cie Grant is starting on the weak side."

"Haslett said they considered moving middle linebacker Courtney Watson to the weak side and starting rookie Alfred Fincher inside with Bockwoldt moving to strong side, but decided against it."

link
Okay, so now we have two completely contradicting views. That's not a link telling me that McKinnon is moving to the middle and Watson is moving to the weakside. IN FACT, you're just confirming what I was hinting at-Watson isn't moving to the weakside in favor of McKinnon. Watson moving to WLB in favor of Fincher is one thing, but in favor of McKinnon is a completely different story...

link
Okay, so now we have two completely contradicting views.
Not my view. Haslett s

Last edited by a moderator:
Barring injury, the starters will be Allen(SLB), Watson(MLB) and Bockwoldt(WLB). Cie Grant and Alfred Fincher are the top subs. Rodgers was never going to be an option, and McKinnon probably never will be.

Barring injury, the starters will be Allen(SLB), Watson(MLB) and Bockwoldt(WLB). Cie Grant and Alfred Fincher are the top subs. Rodgers was never going to be an option, and McKinnon probably never will be.
I agree 100% and this is what has been said by Haslett himself (Link). The only one I could really see changing is Bockwoldt. IF Fincher has an outstanding camp and forces Haslett's hand I could see Watson at WLB and Fincher at MLB.

July 29, 2005 11:21 AM ET Saints: McKinnon signs one-year deal The NewsThe Saints signed linebacker Ronald McKinnon to a one-year contract on Thursday, according to the New Orleans Times-Picayune. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed. McKinnon spent the last nine years with the Cardinals and logged 74 tackles last season. Our ViewMcKinnon will compete for playing time during training camp with starting linebacker James Allen, Courtney Watson, and Colby Bockwoldt. The weakness of the Saints' defense is at the linebacker position, so there is a chance that McKinnon could earn substantial playing time if he performs well during training camp.

I dont think it is out of the realm of possibility for Bockwoldt to go to the bench in favor of Cie Grant ... I do think that Watson is a lock as a starter ...

Grant can't stay healthy, let alone lock up a starting position.
yeah i was under the impression that grant's knee problems are somewhat chronic.
grant would have to show that he's not only healthy but that he's improved over the last two seasons that he's been essentially off the shelf. dude have a grand total of 4 tackles in 7 games in 2 years. he's physically very gifted but he's playing from behind here.

I dont think it is out of the realm of possibility for Bockwoldt to go to the bench in favor of Cie Grant ... I do think that Watson is a lock as a starter ...
:no: Short of injury, no way Bockwoldt doesn't start. He played very well the second half of last season once he got the chance, supposedly added 20 lbs of solid muscle this offseason, and Haz loves him.

Short of injury, no way Bockwoldt doesn't start. He played very well the second half of last season once he got the chance, supposedly added 20 lbs of solid muscle this offseason, and Haz loves him.
Have to agree very firmly on this point. COLBY BOCKWOLDT has the makings of a guy that will stand out in the league. He's a little undersized, but makes up for it with tremendous recovery speed and quickness. He's also a fearsome hitter who plays bigger than his bio lists him.I can't provide a link, since I it was during a quick TV quote last year, but I saw Haslett say that Bockwoldt has a bit of Brian Urlacher in him... both coming from western colleges in Division I-A conferences that don't get a lot of national respect. He compared the deceptive speed, the overall athleticism and the fact that they are the kinds of guys who don't really know what their limitations are, so they seem to play on a level higher than expected because they don't know any better. I also think Haslett sees this kid as the kind of player he wanted to be but wasn't able to... he definitely spoke about him as a major breakout player to watch in 2005, and the praise only continued during mini-camps. Barring injury, Bockwoldt will almost certainly line up as the starter at the WILL position 16 times during this regular season. Expect very solid numbers.

Cie Grant hurt his knee...again. Can we finally stick a fork in this guy!?!?

link:

http://www.2theadvocate.com/stories/081305...tsnote001.shtml

Henderson suffered a Grade II sprain to his right shoulder, Grant, who has missed most of the last two seasons because of knee problems, injured the patellar tendon in his left knee, and Booker strained his right hamstring. Henderson and Booker played at LSU. Grant is scheduled to undergo an MRI.

Saints | Grant to be Out for a whileSun, 14 Aug 2005 22:35:31 -0700Les East, of the Advocate, reports New Orleans Saints LB Cie Grant (knee) has patella tendonitis in his right knee, the same condition that sidelined him for all of last season. Head coach Jim Haslett said he'll be out "for a while."

Saints | Grant to be Out for a while

Sun, 14 Aug 2005 22:35:31 -0700

Les East, of the Advocate, reports New Orleans Saints LB Cie Grant (knee) has patella tendonitis in his right knee, the same condition that sidelined him for all of last season. Head coach Jim Haslett said he'll be out "for a while."
Well now with Grant out of the picture (didn't take long did it?) we know that Bockwoldt and Watson are entrenched as starters but who starts at the other spot?Does Bockwoldt move?

Is Allen close to regaining it?

Does Fincher have a role?

I doubt that McKinnon is a choice here but alas, I could be wrong.

Tom

Saints | Grant to be Out for a while

Sun, 14 Aug 2005 22:35:31 -0700

Les East, of the Advocate, reports New Orleans Saints LB Cie Grant (knee) has patella tendonitis in his right knee, the same condition that sidelined him for all of last season. Head coach Jim Haslett said he'll be out "for a while."
Well now with Grant out of the picture (didn't take long did it?) we know that Bockwoldt and Watson are entrenched as starters but who starts at the other spot?Does Bockwoldt move?

Is Allen close to regaining it?

Does Fincher have a role?

I doubt that McKinnon is a choice here but alas, I could be wrong.

Tom
They are thinking Allen will be able to practice this week (bone bruise in knee is responding much slower than expected), and he should take back the starting spot when healthy. Sedrick Hodge will start for the time being, and he looked ok Friday night (led the team in tackles).

From today's T-P:

WHO'S HOT:

COLBY BOCKWOLDT

Bockwoldt has picked up where he left off last season, when he started the last seven games on the weak side. Bockwoldt has been a confident and consistent playmaker, highlighted by his sack in the preseason opener.

Users who are viewing this thread