What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Saints SS situation (1 Viewer)

cpstorm

Footballguy
I see that the Saints Safety depth chart looks like:

Starters:Josh Bullocks (FS), Bryan Scott (SS/FS),

Backups:Roman Harper (FS), Steve Gleason (FS), Jay Bellamy (SS)

But i thought Roman Harper was going to be playing SS this year, and that he had a chance of starting near the end of the year?

I see that the Saints Safety depth chart looks like:

Starters:Josh Bullocks (FS), Bryan Scott (SS/FS),

Backups:Roman Harper (FS), Steve Gleason (FS), Jay Bellamy (SS)

But i thought Roman Harper was going to be playing SS this year, and that he had a chance of starting near the end of the year?
Give it some time ... I see Harper as starting SS ...The official Saints Depth Chart is not out yet ...

Official Saints Depth Chart

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a feeling it will be the following scenerio:

Starters -

Jay Bellamy SS

Josh Bullocks FS

With Roman Harper taking over for Bellamy before the season ends. I do not see Bryan Scott as a starter unless injuries decimate the defensive backfield.

RAPTURE

There's only one "for-sure" starting safety on the Saints roster...Josh Bullocks.

Bellamy or Scott may start a few games in the beginning, but I think it's only a matter of time until Harper sneaks into the lineup. Once Harper starts, we'll most likely see Bullocks at FS and Harper at SS for the foreseeable future.

For now, it's the yet-to-be-mentioned Omar Stoutmire who was taking first team reps at SS. He's a Payton/Gibbs guy from their days in Dallas. He and Scott were brought in by the new coaches so they're staying. Bellamy has an uphill fight on his hands to be on the opening day roster. Gleason is a special teams guy, but Stoutmire and Harper ought to be able to fill that role well enough.

All of that likely means little, though, as I agree with all of the above comments. When Roman Harper is ready, he and Bullocks are the future of the Saint safety corps.

how does he rate as a dynasty candidate then? (long term)
Which one -- Bullocks or Harper?In the long term, it is more likely that whichever lands at SS (almost assuredly Harper between these two) has the higher value, especially in what will probably be a pretty aggressive 4-3 defense.

Saints | Bellamy running with second unit

Tue, 8 Aug 2006 18:49:36 -0700

The Associated Press reports New Orleans Saints S Jay Bellamy is practicing as second string free safety behind second-year S Josh Bullocks. "Right now, it's Josh's job," said Bellamy, a past starter, about the free safety position. "I'm in camp just like everyone else - I'm going back to my rookie mentality."

I wouldn't invest a high pick in a redraft league on any Saint LB or DB. You could take a flier on Bullocks or Harper or whomever you feel is the MLB du jour, but I wouldn't count on any of them as starters yet.

In dynasty leagues, Bullocks and Harper are the only reasonable rosterable players in those positions right now. Feel free to play musical chairs with the LB or veteran safeties but you'll probably get what you've paid for until the MLB role is decided.

Jene Bramel said:
I wouldn't invest a high pick in a redraft league on any Saint LB or DB. You could take a flier on Bullocks or Harper or whomever you feel is the MLB du jour, but I wouldn't count on any of them as starters yet.In dynasty leagues, Bullocks and Harper are the only reasonable rosterable players in those positions right now. Feel free to play musical chairs with the LB or veteran safeties but you'll probably get what you've paid for until the MLB role is decided.
I'll piggy pack on what the Doc has to say...The Saints are going to plug and play at LB and DB until they find the best combination of talent with the least liabilities associated with it. That's not good. There is that age old idea that if you are rotating 2 guys at starting QB, then you really don't have a starting QB. Take that maxim and apply it to the LB, FS and SS for the Saints. Redraft...stay away. Dynasty...grab Harper and Bullocks.

cr8f said:
nortobc said:
Chaos Commish said:
Isn't this Harper's second straight start this preseason?
:yes:
With teams having their way with the Saints he would be a good IDP pickup. Don't they start the year against Cleveland and Green Bay? Not a bad time to insert the rookie. Go for it Payton.
Harper did okay. I say its most likely he'll be the starting SS when the games count, if not, it shouldn't be long. He looked like he was in on more tackles then NFL Gamebook had him (2-2-0).

Harper did okay. I say its most likely he'll be the starting SS when the games count, if not, it shouldn't be long. He looked like he was in on more tackles then NFL Gamebook had him (2-2-0).
He had a couple of tackles taken away because of penalties which negated the play.

He had a couple of tackles taken away because of penalties which negated the play.
He seem to be around the ball alot. Once he's more comfortable and thinks less and reacts more, he should have some nice tackle numbers. Very similar (interms of his intagables) to his college teammate (DeMeco Ryans).

He seem to be around the ball alot. Once he's more comfortable and thinks less and reacts more, he should have some nice tackle numbers. Very similar (interms of his intagables) to his college teammate (DeMeco Ryans).
And don't forget about Charlie Peprah, another Bama rookie. He is second string to G. Wilson in New York. If G. Wilson gets hurt, which he has in the past because of his size and the hits he puts on players, Peprah could be a solid pickup.

And don't forget about Charlie Peprah, another Bama rookie. He is second string to G. Wilson in New York. If G. Wilson gets hurt, which he has in the past because of his size and the hits he puts on players, Peprah could be a solid pickup.
I'm not real high Peprah (based on scouting reports I've read), but sometimes all you need is an opportunity.

Any confirmation of the FS/SS situation here? It's a ripe oppty for someone...

Users who are viewing this thread