What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Seattle files motion to retroactively void all misdemeanor marijuana convictions (1 Viewer)

PlasmaDogPlasma

Footballguy
I thought we had a dedicated pot thread, but I couldn't find it.

Anyway:

The City of Seattle has filed a motion in municipal court to vacate – that is, retroactively void – all misdemeanor marijuana convictions in the city. According to a statement from Mayor Jenny Durkan, the request would effect 542 people. The city has also requested the dismissal of outstanding misdemeanor possession charges. In 2012, Washington became the first U.S. state to legalize marijuana for recreational use.

As marijuana prohibition ends in states across the U.S., the impact of past laws is being considered in a new light. Durkan echoed a growing consensus in describing Seattle’s move as an “important step to right the wrongs [of] the failed war on drugs.” She particularly focused on drug laws impacts on people of color, who have for decades been convicted under aggressive drug laws at disproportionately high rates relative to whites.
Full article

Shouldn't we be more concerned with the felonies? Felonies affect your life in serious ways going forward including employment, voting, firearms and rights, etc.   

Last edited by a moderator:
Shouldn't we be more concerned with the felonies? Felonies affect your life in serious ways going forward including employment, voting, firearms and rights, etc.   
I think I’m cool with voiding misdemeanors (at least open to discussion), but you want to void felonies?

I think I’m cool with voiding misdemeanors (at least open to discussion), but you want to void felonies?
I don't know, really. I just don't see what voiding misdemeanors does as you retain almost all of your basic rights with misdemeanor convictions. Felony convictions come with a host of lost rights that are critical to the individual.  Considering felonies generally concern the amount of possession weight, I think I'd be fine with it. Intent to distribute would be a different story, though sometimes the weight determines that charge.  

Users who are viewing this thread