What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Seattle's backers....... (1 Viewer)

yortstop

Footballguy
Who exactly plays where? Simmons done! White out a few. Unconfirmed Chad questionable. Ouch.....Who is the hot pickup here? The starting safeties?

Who exactly plays where? Simmons done! White out a few. Unconfirmed Chad questionable. Ouch.....Who is the hot pickup here? The starting safeties?
I don't know that I'd call any of the replacements "hot pickups."But if things hold true to form, Tracy White will be the first guy off the bench. Kacevensky will be the other to fill in.I don't know that either are viable alternatives. I for one will be letting my leaguemates fight over them (which they aren't).Edit: of course right after I post I see that White is out as well. Sounds like Terreal Beirrea (SS) might be the leading tackler this week.

Last edited by a moderator:
LB Tracy White (Sea) will not play this weekend due to his injured hamstring.(According to the latest Players in the News link from Carlton Gray.

They could always throw Michael Boulware in at WLB or MLB. If they do I think he would be a great pickup at this point in the season. He is a converted LB from what I remember. Maybe the hawks will remember that too and give him a shot since they dont seem to want him starting at SS.Sleeperz

Last edited by a moderator:
Their so banged up it might be the CB's that are the hot pickup. I don't know if anyone will be getting tackled till they get into the secondary. :cry:

Niko Koutevedes will get some time this week for sure. Michael Boulware isn't all that bad of a thought becuase the Dolphins will probably be down in the game and will be throwing a lot. So, they could probably call their nickel package with Boulware as the nickel back and rotate him around the field as need be.

Well assuming that Chad plays.......is this how it lines up?Huff MLBKacyvenski WLBBrown SLBThen if brown doesnt play or on some plays Niko comes in SLB?I think that for a week or two, atleast, that Kaz could produce well if playing WLB.Where are the IDP guru's to straighten this out for us........hehe

What happened to DD Lewis? Is he on IR or something?
Latest News Aug. 31, 2004 - 1:03 pm et One day after returning to practice, Seahawks LB D.D. Lewis learned he'll need a second shoulder surgery.The first surgery was not performed by team doctors. This one should land Lewis on injured reserve. Lewis was expected to replaced the injured Chad Brown as a starter, but now the job will likely go to Isaiah Kacyvenski. Source: Seattle Post-Intelligencer

Well did this get clear'd up at all this weekend. Looks like the rook and Kaz play'd according to the stats. Anyone watch the game to see if they shared time or were on the field together. Really if Kaz gets the reps he could be a pretty good IDP pickup down the stretch.All insight here welcome.......

kac, huff, and solomon bates starting this week vs buff.
I just picked up Kacyvinski - is he a good start against Buffalo?I have to chose 2 between him, Dirt Davis (not a great matchup with the Colts for LBs), Matt Stewart (New Orleans, might be a good matchup), Shelton Quarles (If Carolina had a run game, he'd be in for sure) and Dan Morgan (any news?)My top 2 are Ray Lewis and Brewski.

kac, huff, and solomon bates starting this week vs buff.
I just picked up Kacyvinski - is he a good start against Buffalo?I have to chose 2 between him, Dirt Davis (not a great matchup with the Colts for LBs), Matt Stewart (New Orleans, might be a good matchup), Shelton Quarles (If Carolina had a run game, he'd be in for sure) and Dan Morgan (any news?)My top 2 are Ray Lewis and Brewski.
i would start stewart and quarles. kaz may get 5-10 tackles, but he's not really a playmaker, or in a big play defense.

What ever happened to Niko?  Why is he so buried?
Bump. Any updates on Niko?
Here was the report from mini-camp. Look near the bottom for the bold text.
Wallace offers options

MIKE SANDO; The News Tribune

Last updated: April 30th, 2005 02:40 AM

KIRKLAND – From the plodding field generals of yesteryear to the increasingly nimble playmakers of today, quarterbacks are evolving faster than any NFL species.

Seneca Wallace has a chance to alter long-held perceptions even further.

The Seattle Seahawks’ backup quarterback returned punts in practice Friday as the team opened its post-draft minicamp.

The arrangement might be more than just an experiment, even as Wallace competes for the No. 2 quarterback job.

“Oh, yeah, he’s pretty natural (returning punts),” coach Mike Holmgren said. “I think he could be pretty good doing it. We’re going to give him a chance to do that.”

Wallace has yet to play in a regular-season game since Seattle made him a fourth-round draft choice in 2003. As the No. 3 quarterback, he suited up for games but never needed a shower.

The Seahawks leaned on receiver Bobby Engram for punt returns in recent years, with largely productive results. But at age 32, Engram’s time might be best spent snaring key third-down passes, particularly after injuries kept him off the field for long stretches in 2004.

Wallace, who turns 25 in August, is simply looking for a chance to get on the field. In addition to his duties as scout-team quarterback last season, Wallace played receiver and defensive back in practice.

“The more you can do, the better off you are,” he said. “If you can help the team out when they’re thin at a spot, you’re just going to help yourself.”

Wallace’s options at quarterback appear limited.

Matt Hasselbeck is the undisputed starter, backed by a new $48 million contract, and the Seahawks drafted Georgia’s David Greene in the third round Saturday.

Seattle tried to sign a veteran backup in free agency, but Brad Johnson and Jeff Garcia went elsewhere. Wallace and Greene are competing for the second and third jobs.

Wallace’s future at quarterback could impact his options as a punt returner.

Third quarterbacks are generally inactive on game days; once they get into a game, NFL rules prevent the first two quarterbacks from returning.

Second quarterbacks face no such restrictions, but using them in another capacity means risking injury at a critical position.

“You’d have to certainly think about that,” Holmgren said. “You need to have three quarterbacks active on Sunday, and of course the one is your third and he can’t play.

“I don’t know. I have to think about that.”

Using his No. 2 quarterback to return punts is a consideration a coach generally doesn’t encounter.

“It would depend on who my No. 3 quarterback was,” Holmgren said.

Engram averaged 11.8 yards on 10 returns last season, with a long of 48 yards. Running back Maurice Morris averaged 5.0 yards on 15 returns. His longest was 22 yards.

Morris and receiver Marque Davis also returned punts Friday.

Wallace said he returned punts at Oregon State and Sacramento (Calif.) City College. He played exclusively at quarterback after transferring to Iowa State.

“Going into my third (NFL) year, I just want to get on the field,” he said. “Maybe get out there, be active and make some plays when called upon.”

Robinson watch

Receiver Koren Robinson is doing “OK” in fulfilling his offseason commitments, Holmgren said.

Robinson, suspended last season under terms of the NFL’s substance-abuse policy, sought professional help after the season. He has attended some of the team’s offseason conditioning program, and his future with the team remains in question.

“Right now, let’s take one step at a time there,” Holmgren said. “He had a big challenge once the season was over and he did that. Now, let’s get him playing again.”

Extra points

The mandatory portion of the minicamp runs through Sunday, with rookies and veterans in attendance. A voluntary camp for veterans follows through Thursday. ...

Unsigned running back Shaun Alexander is not attending the camp. Defensive backs Andre Dyson, Bobby Taylor and Terreal Bierria had excused absences, the team said.

Dyson is on his honeymoon, while Bierria had a funeral to attend. ...

Seven players attended but were sidelined by injury: Marcus Trufant (shoulder), Ken Hamlin (shoulder), Marquand Manuel (wrist), Bryce Fisher (ankle), Steve Hutchinson (shoulder), Rashad Moore (shoulder) and Cedric Woodard (knee). ...

Left tackle Walter Jones is attending a minicamp for the first time since 2001. He had been unsigned in past offseasons. ...

First-round pick Chris Spencer worked at center with the second- and third-team offensive lines.

Veteran Floyd Womack worked at right tackle with the starters, with Chris Gray at right guard and Robbie Tobeck at center.

Jerry Wunsch is playing left guard while Hutchinson recovers from surgery. ...

The starting linebackers were D.D. Lewis (weak), Niko Koutouvides (middle) and Jamie Sharper (strong).

The second unit consisted of third-round choice LeRoy Hill (weak), second-rounder Lofa Tatupu (middle) and veteran Isaiah Kacyvenski (strong). ...

Jersey numbers for the new draft class are: Spencer (65), Tatupu (51), Greene (11), Hill (56), tackle Ray Willis (74), defensive end Jeb Huckeba (97), linebacker Cornelius Wortham (46) and offensive lineman Doug Nienhuis (72).

Interesting. If Tatupu is his main MLB competition, I think Niko's going to have the job nailed down as long as he's healthy. Tatupu's got the heart, but he's not even a Zach Thomas-sized MLB, so I just don't see it working out for him there.

Tatupu was a colossal reach in the 2nd round. He was projected 4th/5th round and here are his negatives:NEGATIVES: Marginal sideline-to-sideline range in coverage [Can't be coached]. Overpursues the action [Can be coached], gets sucked up the field [Can be coached] and must play with better body control [Can't be coached]. Not overly instinctive in coverage. [Can't be coached]He sounds like a project to me, depsite his positive combine results.

While I agree Tatupu was a monster reach, he's likely to get a shot, since he's highly drafted and the 'Hawks are thin. Another crappy draft this year.

Tatupu was a colossal reach in the 2nd round. He was projected 4th/5th round and here are his negatives:

NEGATIVES: Marginal sideline-to-sideline range in coverage [Can't be coached]. Overpursues the action [Can be coached], gets sucked up the field [Can be coached] and must play with better body control [Can't be coached]. Not overly instinctive in coverage. [Can't be coached]

He sounds like a project to me, depsite his positive combine results.
CNNSI source. When you posts only the negatives it can make most any player look like a reach.here are the positives from same source:

POSITIVES: Athletic linebacker who plays with a good degree of explosion. Breaks down well, slides off blocks and displays good hand technique protecting himself. Aggressive, forceful up the field and flashes on the scene. Gets depth on pass drops and displays skill in zone. Quick locating the ball in run defense and fires through gaps. Takes good angles to the action.

ANALYSIS: A hard hitting linebacker with the versatility to be used at several spots, Tatupu is a hard hitting force who likes physical contact. Built for the weak-side, he must significantly improve his skills in coverage to hold down a starting position in the NFL. Could be considered on the inside for a 34 defense where he is allowed to freely roam to the ball.

Other sources

Tatupa NFL.com scouting report

PFW 2005 Draft Preview states he has great instincts, a great motor and plays sideline to sideline. Shows good awareness in zone coverage.

This paints a better picture.

Tatupu was a colossal reach in the 2nd round.  He was projected 4th/5th round and here are his negatives:

NEGATIVES: Marginal sideline-to-sideline range in coverage [Can't be coached]. Overpursues the action [Can be coached], gets sucked up the field [Can be coached] and must play with better body control [Can't be coached]. Not overly instinctive in coverage. [Can't be coached]

CNNSI source. When you posts only the negatives it can make most any player look like a reach.here are the positives from same source:

POSITIVES: Athletic linebacker who plays with a good degree of explosion. Breaks down well, slides off blocks and displays good hand technique protecting himself. Aggressive, forceful up the field and flashes on the scene. Gets depth on pass drops and displays skill in zone. Quick locating the ball in run defense and fires through gaps. Takes good angles to the action.

ANALYSIS: A hard hitting linebacker with the versatility to be used at several spots, Tatupu is a hard hitting force who likes physical contact. Built for the weak-side, he must significantly improve his skills in coverage to hold down a starting position in the NFL. Could be considered on the inside for a 34 defense where he is allowed to freely roam to the ball.

Other sources

PFW 2005 Draft Preview states he has great instincts, a great motor and plays sideline to sideline. Shows good awareness in zone coverage.

PFW also rates him at 5.30, which translates out to "Has a better-than-average chance to make an NFL roster" and is equivalent to a fifth round grade. That sounds like a reach to me.

Tatupu was a colossal reach in the 2nd round.  He was projected 4th/5th round and here are his negatives:

Other sources

PFW also rates him at 5.30, which translates out to "Has a better-than-average chance to make an NFL roster" and is equivalent to a fifth round grade. That sounds like a reach to me.
Thats higher than Niko graded out.

I do agree he is a reach, but not as big a reach as some might think. He has many intangables in his favor to produce.

Other sources

Thats higher than Niko graded out.
Wasn't Niko a fourth round pick? Tatupu was a big reach in the second. They even traded up to get him, which made it an even bigger reach.

I think the point everyone is missing here is that Seattle likes him a lot. That's why they traded up to get him and why they will give him a good opportunity to contribute.

I think the point everyone is missing here is that Seattle likes him a lot. That's why they traded up to get him and why they will give him a good opportunity to contribute.
Thank YouAnd its not like there is a lot of talent at the LB spot in Seattle.

Users who are viewing this thread