What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Senator TILLIS (R-NC) Proposes Serious Immigration Compromise (1 Viewer)

We need able bodied people for infrastructure and construction jobs.  Increase legal immigration now to bring in these workers and relieve some pressure in the housing market.  Plus, their children will be the next generation of professionals to fuel more growth. 

We need able bodied people for infrastructure and construction jobs.  Increase legal immigration now to bring in these workers and relieve some pressure in the housing market.  Plus, their children will be the next generation of professionals to fuel more growth. 
Obviously I agree. But let’s be practical: the majority of theAmerican public, at the current time, will never agree to increased legal immigration. It’s a pipe dream. 

Obviously I agree. But let’s be practical: the majority of theAmerican public, at the current time, will never agree to increased legal immigration. It’s a pipe dream. 
It's the best way to actually solve the illegal immigration crisis.  Sick of the illegal behavior and people breaking the law? Change the laws. 

Restaurant owners aren’t rich. Many of them were forced out of business during Covid, and most of those that survived are barely hanging on. 
They cannot afford to pay their workers more than the going wage, and in most cases the going wage is far below minimum wage. If you force them to pay minimum wage they will go out of business and the only restaurants left will be chains owned by corporations. 
And this is the reality for many small businesses. If you want to shut them down, by all means go ahead and attempt to enforce legal wages. It will cost you billions and wreck the economy, but hey the laws will have been upheld! 
I guess it depends on the area, but most fine dining restaurants here are paying the back of the house (including dishwashers) $17-$20/hour.  

Tim - Biden is an idiot when he says there is no border crisis, yet Fox shows drone footage every day of people crossing.  It’s straight out of the CNN mostly peaceful protests with the fires behind the reporter.  The thing I hate the most about the Biden administration is they act like they are the smartest in the room while everyone else are rubes.  I need glasses, but I know what I see.

For all the “residency not citizenship” people, why?  If we are bringing in people to live and work here indefinitely, shouldn’t they have a say in our democracy?  What’s the justification for not giving them a path to citizenship?
I guess I should wait to see what the actual immigration proposal says before trying to argue about it.  Somebody remind me about this question if there’s every any actual agreement that has a chance to get through Congress.

fatguyinalittlecoat said:
For all the “residency not citizenship” people, why?  If we are bringing in people to live and work here indefinitely, shouldn’t they have a say in our democracy?  What’s the justification for not giving them a path to citizenship?

Amused to Death said:
Just a guess, but could it be because one side may concede to let them stay but really don't want them to vote? Seems weird but you're absolutely correct. If you're ok with them living here permanently, why not allow them a path to citizenship? 

You don't reward bad behavior nor do you put a carrot out there for more bad behavior (which this would).  They broke US laws by breaching our borders.  You don't get a gold star for that.  Their kids will get citizenship - that's more than enough.

We also don't want to give a gold star to the blue team for fomenting the chaos and all the drug smuggling, child rape, and human trafficking that has been quietly ignored.

Last edited by a moderator:
timschochet said:
Let's make sure that we put this in context of the fact that the US is the most welcoming country in the world when it comes to legal immigration.  Not mentioning that and implying that the American people aren't compassionate is the worst kind of gaslighting.

You don't reward bad behavior nor do you put a carrot out there for more bad behavior (which this would).  They broke US laws by breaching our borders.  You don't get a gold star for that.  Their kids will get citizenship - that's more than enough.
My question was about people who come here legally to work in restaurants.

Let's make sure that we put this in context of the fact that the US is the most welcoming country in the world when it comes to legal immigration.  Not mentioning that and implying that the American people aren't compassionate is the worst kind of gaslighting.
This is not quite true- actually we’ve fallen to 2nd place behind Germany. 
But I never wrote or implied that we’re not compassionate. Americans are incredibly compassionate. But they’re not going to agree to increased immigration. That’s all I wrote and it’s all I implied. 

This is not quite true- actually we’ve fallen to 2nd place behind Germany. 
But I never wrote or implied that we’re not compassionate. Americans are incredibly compassionate. But they’re not going to agree to increased immigration. That’s all I wrote and it’s all I implied. 
Oh average over the last couple decades, then.  There has been quite a surge in Europe lately, for sure.

We also don't want to give a gold star to the blue team for fomenting the chaos and all the drug smuggling, child rape, and human trafficking that has been quietly ignored.
I have to take issue here with the use of the term “bad behavior”. I agree that it should be against the law to come here without papers (a misdemeanor). I agree that those who do so should face some sort of penalty. But I don’t agree that it’s bad behavior. For most of these people there were few choices open to them. There was no legal means of coming here, no “line” for them to get in, and no future whatsoever where they came from. I would have made the same choice that they did. 

That's a different story and there are laws in place to allow them a path to citizenship in many circumstances.  We have a crapton of visa types that can affect this.

Sand said:
Pair what he says with restrictions on the welfare state that guest workers are allowed and I'd be fine with that compromise.

Sand said:
No, not at all.  They want a path to citizenship, not a path to residency.  If you just remember that this is all about votes and has nothing to do with compassion for people all the discourse from the hill makes a ton of sense.
I’m not sure how to make sense of your position.

Oh average over the last couple decades, then.  There has been quite a surge in Europe lately, for sure.
So far as I know the US has been #1 in terms of immigrants for the whole of our existence (with the possible exception of Israel immediately after 1948). It’s shameful IMO that we have slipped to #2. 

So far as I know the US has been #1 in terms of immigrants for the whole of our existence (with the possible exception of Israel immediately after 1948). It’s shameful IMO that we have slipped to #2. 

When you consider what the mass immigration has done to Germany, I'm fine with us slipping off the top perch.

Why is anyone presuming that new immigrants will largely vote Democrat? Republicans made substantial gains with Hispanic voters two years ago.

The GOP should have a little more faith in its policies (of course, Rand Paul said recently that "we tried policy-centric platforms a while ago and it didn't work out electorally").

Sand said:
No, not at all.  They want a path to citizenship, not a path to residency.  If you just remember that this is all about votes and has nothing to do with compassion for people all the discourse from the hill makes a ton of sense.
Please tell me how this is any different then a dem saying all republicans are racist?

Users who are viewing this thread