What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Serious Biz Dynasty Year 17 - Plenty of talent on the come (3 Viewers)

Bring me your offers for:
Cody Bellinger
Dansby Swanson
Alex Bregman
Bryan Reynolds
Lourdes Gurriel
Blake Snell
Zach Eflin
Tanner Houck
... and maybe even Yoshinobu Yamamoto (if you're ready to send a young stud MLB-ready hitter)

Looking for 25 and under. The closer to MLB the better.

This doesn't mean I'm fire-selling for pennies on the dollar (cc: PIK), but I'm waving the white flag on 2024 and am willing help some contending teams get over the hump in areas of need.

It's Pete Alonso Gets Hit In The Hand By A Pitch Day! Last year it fell on June 7.

Will it once again be followed by Sparty Makes A Panic Trade Day? Time (and X-ray results) will tell...

PIK has 18 players out of 40 on a big league roster. That includes guys on the DL and Starling Marte.

13 minor leaguers which puts you in a 2nd place tie with Kraft. Jake leads the league with 52.
Some past evidence from the thread of players having lots of minor leaguers.

If I'm reading that first post correctly, PIK had 22 MiLB guys at one point. Jake obviously did not literally have 52, but 20+ seems likely.

21 prospects on the @RnR roster. That has to be close to a record.

@PIK95 , @UMjake49 did you ever have more than half your roster made up of minor leaguers?
I would say yes, but not 100% sure. I would add that I think it wasn't a great strategy, and I should have done it alittle differently. I had some dudes that were 16-18 ffs.

That being said it was still better than being inactive on pickups, inactive on the league message board, and inactive in trade talks as a couple of owners have been over the years. 😀

Don't worry, all you contenders will get a chance to raid my stash of prospects while leaving your vast array of 35-year-old platoon outfielders and SV+H middle relievers unprotected in the "competitive balance" draft

Script goes something like this:
- Expose 8-10 of my prospects so that I can protect what little MLB talent I have.
- Use my first round pick to select one of the top draft choices.
- Watch the next 12-14 picks go by as my prospects slowly become the best available.
- Use my 2nd round pick to try to protect a prospect instead of getting better.
- Hope that I'm closed out by the time my 3rd round pick comes around. If not, thankfully close it out myself.
- End the draft as a net wash in my talent pool.
- Watch the teams that ditched prospects to pursue a title enjoy a net gain and rub it in my sad face.

Last edited:
If it's bitching time, my top prospects that were supposed to push me to a new level are all bums.

Carter and Chourio look somewhat lost at MLB level. Camineiro and Lawlar can't get on the field.

De la Cruz is okay I guess.

If it's bitching time, my top prospects that were supposed to push me to a new level are all bums.

Carter and Chourio look somewhat lost at MLB level. Camineiro and Lawlar can't get on the field.

De la Cruz is okay I guess.
Let's talk. I can help ease your pain with an NL MVP in his prime.

We could actually fix the draft, but I'll admit it's probably more fun to laugh at me whining about it

Constructive ideas always welcome.

We've talked about splitting the minidraft into separate FYPD and poach phases but that pretty much happens organically now.

I think tweaking the number of protected players or rounds are lipstick on a 🐷 but that's just my opinion.

We could actually fix the draft, but I'll admit it's probably more fun to laugh at me whining about it

Constructive ideas always welcome.

We've talked about splitting the minidraft into separate FYPD and poach phases but that pretty much happens organically now.

I think tweaking the number of protected players or rounds are lipstick on a 🐷 but that's just my opinion.
What if we just do a 3-round FYPD and ditch the poaching altogether?

Aside from me spite selecting older players from people who steal my prospects, I haven't found that many useful players are available for rebuilding teams to poach. Which, I think is the whole point of a competitive balance draft, right? And to your point, lowering the number of protected players doesn't change much to help with balance. Rebuilding teams will just be exposing better prospects for a chance at slightly younger/better MLB players than what is exposed after 25 now.

You're the only team that has room for three first year players
I'd argue there may be something wrong with the way we're formatting rosters if a dynasty league doesn't universally have an appetite for speculating on 3 first-year players.

And I've tried to field a full and competitive lineup while simultaneously trying to rebuild for the last few years. It can't be done. We have teams that are deep enough to roll players through platoon splits -AND- shift in layers of SP/RP to maximize categories. Simply fielding a lineup (even a pretty decent one) can't run with that. So my only real choice is to suck really badly for a few more years and hope this group that I have aging up together is enough to give me that level of depth the top teams have now.

So I lose to those teams during the season and then lose pieces to them in the offseason. There's no reason you and Sparty should "win" the competitive balance draft from my roster.

I'd argue there may be something wrong with the way we're formatting rosters if a dynasty league doesn't universally have an appetite for speculating on 3 first-year players.

And I've tried to field a full and competitive lineup while simultaneously trying to rebuild for the last few years. It can't be done. We have teams that are deep enough to roll players through platoon splits -AND- shift in layers of SP/RP to maximize categories. Simply fielding a lineup (even a pretty decent one) can't run with that. So my only real choice is to suck really badly for a few more years and hope this group that I have aging up together is enough to give me that level of depth the top teams have now.

So I lose to those teams during the season and then lose pieces to them in the offseason. There's no reason you and Sparty should "win" the competitive balance draft from my roster.

I don't think 40 man roster sizes allow for speculation on three FYPD guys every year. If you assume a 3-4 year development cycle that's 9-12 prospects plus whatever minor leaguers you add during the year.

Maybe a possible solution would be to exempt first year minor leaguers from the 25 man protection quota for a year. I haven't thought out the strategic ramifications of this but it would allow rebuilding teams to defer prospect decisions for a little while. Another approach at this would be to exclude players who haven't appeared above A+ ball yet from minidraft protection.

I've said it before but I like the major league poaching aspect in the minidraft because it's a substitute for trading and helps to create some storylines for guys who changed teams.

Last edited:

I don't think 40 man roster sizes allow for speculation on three FYPD guys every year. If you assume a 3-4 year development cycle that's 9-12 prospects plus whatever minor leaguers you add during the year.

Maybe a possible solution would be to exempt first year minor leaguers from the 25 man protection quota for a year. I haven't thought out the strategic ramifications of this but it would allow rebuilding teams to defer prospect decisions for a little while. Another approach at this would be to exclude players who haven't appeared above A ball yet from minidraft protection.

I've said it before but I like the major league poaching aspect in the minidraft because it's a substitute for trading and helps to create some storylines for guys who changed teams.
For the record: I enjoy the drama of the minidraft, too.

An idea only semi-related to my gripe: If we considered breaking those drafts into two separate things (first year draft and then competitive balance draft) ...

Do we have the functionality with Fantrax to place players "in the minors" on our roster? If so, earmarking 3-5 spots beyond the 40-man as "minor league" to be used for acquisitions from a first-year player draft might be an interesting way to allow all teams to more aggressively speculate on youngsters and free up rebuilding teams to roster a lineup as well.

At the end of that first year, you have to either keep your drafted players on your 40-man or bail. If you bail, they go into the pool for the competitive balance draft?

We're limited by what Fantrax supports when we're in-season.

If the main whine is around the minidraft, another way to equalize things could be to allow lower placing teams to protect more players. E.g. Split the standings in four quartiles: bottom three teams can protect 27 while top three only 24.

If major league talent hoarding is the problem we're trying to solve, we could force teams to maintain a minimum number of minor leaguers. That's pretty much the only in-season remedy that Fantrax would allow.

If major league talent hoarding is the problem we're trying to solve, we could force teams to maintain a minimum number of minor leaguers. That's pretty much the only in-season remedy that Fantrax would allow.
I was in a dynasty league for a couple years that had a 15-minor minimum on a 40-man roster (also fewer starting spots and 5 IL). There were some positives, but what I didn't like was that it was hard to hold newly promoted players who weren't ready to contribute, which in turn made all that minors space feel wasteful.

I'm not sure where the sweet spot would be for our format. Obviously less than 15.

If the main whine is around the minidraft, another way to equalize things could be to allow lower placing teams to protect more players. E.g. Split the standings in four quartiles: bottom three teams can protect 27 while top three only 24.
Not opposed to this.

The yin to the yang is all the prospect talent hoarding leads to a deep major league talent pool. You can either dig deep down prospect lists or hope to hit on the deep FA pool.
Yeah, a lot of this game is finding the market inefficiencies wherever they are.

I look at FDAS this season. He dropped a lot of fringy prospects for MLB contributors and has been up in the mix for 3rd. Maybe it's not a great long-term strategy but it beats tearing it all down every couple years.

Unofficial count of currently rostered prospects*

3 - Cheese
13 - Dr D
7 - Eephus
1 - HT
6 - Kraft
8 - NV
5 - Pik/Goat
21 - RnR
5 - Rodg
4 - Sparty
5 - FDAS
4 - UMJake

* I'm only counting players who haven't debuted yet so guys like Holliday, Dominguez, Jordan Walker, etc. aren't included.

I thought the number would be higher but I'm not totally sure about my count :oldunsure:

I was in a dynasty league for a couple years that had a 15-minor minimum on a 40-man roster (also fewer starting spots and 5 IL). There were some positives, but what I didn't like was that it was hard to hold newly promoted players who weren't ready to contribute, which in turn made all that minors space feel wasteful.

I'm not sure where the sweet spot would be for our format. Obviously less than 15.

15 is a lot but the more I think about it, prospect quotas seem like more trouble than they're worth. Plus there's the problem of how current teams with older rosters get to the minimum.

Just promise you guys won't quit in 2027 when it's clear my dynasty will be running rampant through your checkbooks for the next decade. I started this thing by winning multiple championships, and I'm not afraid to end it by doing the same.

Users who are viewing this thread