What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Several NFL Network employees accused of sexual harassment/assault (2 Viewers)

Not condoning anything here, but are we assuming these guys are just sending these things unsolicited?
I'm not making that assumption, I'm more so alluding to the fact that it's just dumb. He's a rather high profile figure, is married and sent a video of himself jacking off in the shower to a co-worker. It's a very low percentage play. 

I'm not making that assumption, I'm more so alluding to the fact that it's just dumb. He's a rather high profile figure, is married and sent a video of himself jacking off in the shower to a co-worker. It's a very low percentage play. 
Dumb, sure.  Doing something like that randomly seems extremely odd.

The Sapp in the bathroom thing though?  Totally believable. 

Deetz on Irvin stabbing someone with scissors!!
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2009/mar/01/american-football-dallas-cowboys

The date was 29 July 1998 - a seemingly normal afternoon in room 212 of the Cowboys' training camp dormitory at Midwestern State University in Wichita Falls, Texas. As was customary, that morning a Dallas-based barber named Vinny had driven the two and a half hours to camp. It was one of many luxuries afforded Cowboy players - free trims. Vinny would set up a chair, break out the scissors and buzzers and chop away, one refrigerator-sized head after another.

On this day, a handful of Cowboys lingered, passing the time by talking about the upcoming season and the local bars and the "hoochies" hanging around camp. The Cowboys, after all, were known as "America's Team" - the darlings of the NFL, who walked and played with uncommon swagger and arrogance. After defensive back Charlie Williams finished receiving his cut, Everett McIver, an offensive lineman, jumped into the chair. It was his time. "Let me say this - Everett did nothing wrong," says Kevin Smith, the veteran cornerback. "He was a dude in need of a haircut who waited his turn properly." Vinny wrapped a plastic bib around McIver's neck and picked up his buzzers.

Then Michael Irvin entered the room. A superstar wide receiver known as the heart and soul of the three-time Super Bowl champions, Irvin was equally famous for his crazed antics. The man known as "The Playmaker" had made a hobby of breaking rules and laws. In 1991, Irvin allegedly shattered the dental plate and split the lower lip of a referee in a charity basketball game. When Gene Upshaw visited Dallas training camp in May 1993 to explain an unpopular contractual agreement, Irvin greeted the NFL union chief first by screaming obscenities, then by pulling down his pants and flashing his exposed derrière toward Upshaw.

So here Irvin was, moody, agitated and wanting an immediate trim.

"Seniority!" he screamed.

McIver, sitting in the chair, didn't budge.

"Seniority!" Irvin screamed again. "Seniority! Seniority! Punk, get the #### out of my chair!"

It was on.

"Man," said McIver, "I'm almost done. Just gimme another few minutes."

Was Everett McIver talking to Irvin? Was he really talking to Irvin? Like... that

"Vinny, get this mother####er out of the chair," Irvin barked at the barber. "Tell his pathetic ### to wait his ####in' turn. Either I get cut right now, or nobody does."

Standing nearby was Erik Williams, McIver's fellow lineman. "Yo E," he said to McIver, "don't you dare get out of that chair. You're no ####in' rookie! He can't tell you what to do!"

Sensing trouble, the barber backed away from McIver's head. McIver stood and shoved Irvin in the chest. Irvin shoved back. McIver shoved even harder, then grabbed Irvin and tossed him towards a wall. "I'm the littlest guy in the room," says Kevin Smith, "so I just yell, 'Leon, do something!'" Leon Lett, the enormous defensive lineman, tried separating the combatants to no avail. "It was crazy," says Smith. "I couldn't believe what I was seeing. We were on the same team."

In a final blow to any hopes of diplomacy, McIver cocked his right fist and popped Irvin in the mouth. This was not wise. "I just lost it," said Irvin. He grabbed a pair of scissors, whipped back his right arm and slashed McIver across the neck. The motion was neither smooth nor slick, but jagged, like a saw cutting felt. The tip of the scissors ripped into McIver's skin, just above his collarbone and inches from the carotid artery. McIver let loose a horrified scream.

"Blood immediately shoots all over the room," says Smith. "And we're all thinking the same thing - 'Oh, ####.'"

For a moment - as brief as a cough - there was silence. What had just happened? Had Michael Irvin - king of the Cowboys - stabbed a man in the neck? Was this who the Dallas Cowboys had become? Who Michael Irvin had become?

Then - mayhem. The Cowboys' medical staffers stormed the room, past a dumbstruck Irvin, and immediately attended to McIver. An ambulance arrived, and McIver was whisked away. None of the lingering Cowboys knew the extent of the damage. Was McIver OK? Was he in critical condition? Would he live?

The date was 29 July 1998 - a seemingly normal afternoon in room 212 of the Cowboys' training camp dormitory at Midwestern State University in Wichita Falls, Texas. As was customary, that morning a Dallas-based barber named Vinny had driven the two and a half hours to camp. It was one of many luxuries afforded Cowboy players - free trims. Vinny would set up a chair, break out the scissors and buzzers and chop away, one refrigerator-sized head after another.

On this day, a handful of Cowboys lingered, passing the time by talking about the upcoming season and the local bars and the "hoochies" hanging around camp. The Cowboys, after all, were known as "America's Team" - the darlings of the NFL, who walked and played with uncommon swagger and arrogance. After defensive back Charlie Williams finished receiving his cut, Everett McIver, an offensive lineman, jumped into the chair. It was his time. "Let me say this - Everett did nothing wrong," says Kevin Smith, the veteran cornerback. "He was a dude in need of a haircut who waited his turn properly." Vinny wrapped a plastic bib around McIver's neck and picked up his buzzers.

Then Michael Irvin entered the room. A superstar wide receiver known as the heart and soul of the three-time Super Bowl champions, Irvin was equally famous for his crazed antics. The man known as "The Playmaker" had made a hobby of breaking rules and laws. In 1991, Irvin allegedly shattered the dental plate and split the lower lip of a referee in a charity basketball game. When Gene Upshaw visited Dallas training camp in May 1993 to explain an unpopular contractual agreement, Irvin greeted the NFL union chief first by screaming obscenities, then by pulling down his pants and flashing his exposed derrière toward Upshaw.

"Seniority!" Irvin screamed again. "Seniority! Seniority! Punk, get the #### out of my chair!"

It was on.

Was Everett McIver talking to Irvin? Was he really talking to Irvin? Like... that

"Vinny, get this mother####er out of the chair," Irvin barked at the barber. "Tell his pathetic ### to wait his ####in' turn. Either I get cut right now, or nobody does."

Standing nearby was Erik Williams, McIver's fellow lineman. "Yo E," he said to McIver, "don't you dare get out of that chair. You're no ####in' rookie! He can't tell you what to do!"

Sensing trouble, the barber backed away from McIver's head. McIver stood and shoved Irvin in the chest. Irvin shoved back. McIver shoved even harder, then grabbed Irvin and tossed him towards a wall. "I'm the littlest guy in the room," says Kevin Smith, "so I just yell, 'Leon, do something!'" Leon Lett, the enormous defensive lineman, tried separating the combatants to no avail. "It was crazy," says Smith. "I couldn't believe what I was seeing. We were on the same team."

In a final blow to any hopes of diplomacy, McIver cocked his right fist and popped Irvin in the mouth. This was not wise. "I just lost it," said Irvin. He grabbed a pair of scissors, whipped back his right arm and slashed McIver across the neck. The motion was neither smooth nor slick, but jagged, like a saw cutting felt. The tip of the scissors ripped into McIver's skin, just above his collarbone and inches from the carotid artery. McIver let loose a horrified scream.

"Blood immediately shoots all over the room," says Smith. "And we're all thinking the same thing - 'Oh, ####.'"

For a moment - as brief as a cough - there was silence. What had just happened? Had Michael Irvin - king of the Cowboys - stabbed a man in the neck? Was this who the Dallas Cowboys had become? Who Michael Irvin had become?

Then - mayhem. The Cowboys' medical staffers stormed the room, past a dumbstruck Irvin, and immediately attended to McIver. An ambulance arrived, and McIver was whisked away. None of the lingering Cowboys knew the extent of the damage. Was McIver OK? Was he in critical condition? Would he live?
Yet another reason to hate Irvin.

She looks familiar.  From Thousand Oaks/Westlake Village 

So many careers - over.  Guess it had to happen this way but everyone needs to become their own HR department.  No need for compliance videos or tests anymore.  Protect your livelihood.  

Give me an idea.  Somebody should do brand insurance.  Get drunk and send a text or be inappropriate with sexual comments/actions, get fired, have a policy that protects you.  It would be expensive.  Or just stop doing stupid ####.

So many careers - over.  Guess it had to happen this way but everyone needs to become their own HR department.  No need for compliance videos or tests anymore.  Protect your livelihood.  

Give me an idea.  Somebody should do brand insurance.  Get drunk and send a text or be inappropriate with sexual comments/actions, get fired, have a policy that protects you.  It would be expensive.  Or just stop doing stupid ####.
Smailscare

It’s a good idea but I just don’t see it being practical. What’s to stop a policyholder from just purposely being a jackass for the payout and retiring?

This is sickening.  Where are the real men to put a stop to this?  How do you get to the point where people are doing this stuff?  They should have been fired long ago.  It probably started with jokes, and slowly progressed in physical contact and pictures.  Should have been stopped right away.

Let me start by saying that I hate that sexual harassment is seemingly as common as it is and I'm glad women are stepping forward. Hopefully it will start to eliminate this in the future.

That said, something just doesn't feel right here. The thing that sticks out to me is:

1) So many different men all sexually harassing one female

2) No other females being harassed.

Now, this just came out and maybe some more women will come forward. If that's the case, then it will certainly lend more truth to the allegations. But otherwise, why are all these men choosing just one woman? 

Similarly, if it was just one of these guys doing it to her, then I'd be more likely to believe it to be true. But all of them doing it just to her? Something doesn't feel right just yet about this story. 

interesting.   I've mentioned this before...  I had a concussion two years ago next month that I still feel everyday. It's like 99% healed.  All tests say I'm fine, just wish it would fully heal.
Me too.  I'm 80% but getting worse I think.  

These athletes probably go through a major sex withdrawal problem.

In high school they get whatever action they want.  And even if they hold out then, once they get to college it's all over.  Hot, young chicks left and right.  Then you become a pro athlete with tons of fame and money, and the girls are literally throwing themselves at you, and maybe still so 3-4 years after you are out of the league.

Then suddenly the well is dry.  So you start calling hookers, especially if you are a fat a$$ like Sapp. 

Then you hit total washed-up athlete status, yet still have the mindset you had when you 20 years ago.  And find out the women really wanted your money and lifestyle, and not you.  So you hit on the people closest to you, with the same over the top displays that worked 20 years ago, and it probably works sometimes, but when it goes bad things like this happen.

I'd guess a good family life is the key to avoiding the pitfalls.  But even those guys must yearn for the life they once had.
This is pretty enlightening.  

Let me start by saying that I hate that sexual harassment is seemingly as common as it is and I'm glad women are stepping forward. Hopefully it will start to eliminate this in the future.

That said, something just doesn't feel right here. The thing that sticks out to me is:

Now, this just came out and maybe some more women will come forward. If that's the case, then it will certainly lend more truth to the allegations. But otherwise, why are all these men choosing just one woman? 

Similarly, if it was just one of these guys doing it to her, then I'd be more likely to believe it to be true. But all of them doing it just to her? Something doesn't feel right just yet about this story. 
The accusations are so common now that it’s becoming another “cry wolf “ scenario. We saw the same thing happen with rape when women started to feel more comfortable coming forward these days.....it led a lot of women to abuse that power and many started throwing rape allegations around left and right as revenge for any slight. I think the same thing is beginning to happen with workplace sexual harrassment allegations.

Sexual harrassment is generally subtle . It’s hard to believe this woman was coming in to work every day and getting groped by half the staff and nobody cared for years.

Well, in this particular case Cantor has filed a suit in court against the NFL network. This isn't just a person making an accusation to the media, this is someone willing to present evidence in court to prove their allegations.

One item I struggle with is if the conditions were this bad (and what she describes is hell imo) why in gods name would you stay at the job?  It can't be that high paying a gig to put up with that stuff.

I started my career in the relatively unenlightened 90's at a government funded engineering job.  One lady got upset because a guy had a Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue on his desk.  She told HR about it and things were handled quickly and new policies were defined.  

Why would any one stand working in that type of hell environment and not at least mention it to HR?  The harassment suits are serious business and the HR people are trained to squash it as quickly as possible.

This is sickening.  Where are the real men to put a stop to this?  How do you get to the point where people are doing this stuff?  They should have been fired long ago.  It probably started with jokes, and slowly progressed in physical contact and pictures.  Should have been stopped right away.
If you had a friend that you knew was sending nude photos to another adult who requested those photos, would you be a man and "put a stop to this?"  Kind of blurry line for another man to make a judgment call on.

Some of this harassment is black and white, no questions asked, like Sapp peeing on the floor.   But sending someone a nude photo of yourself in the shower?  Not sure that I call another guy out on that one without knowing a lot more intimate facts about their relationship.

Fanboy :lol:

I'm well aware of what Irvin did. I'm calling bullcrap that Tobias thinks that that is worse than sexual harassment

Thanks for asking though ?
I guess it depends on what level the sexual harassment is.  Stabbing some one in the neck with scissors is likely much worse than grabbing some one's butt in almost all circumstances.

It was on.

Thanks and WOW. Never heard that story. How is Michael Irvin still employed? From drug busts to DUIs etc... I recall him being suspended by NFLN just a few years ago. He offers nothing as an analyst either. 

Everyone knew it was wrong but rules don't apply to the powerful.  At least they didn't think so. Hell is coming to breakfast.

Careers are over.  If these guys are married then the wives have graphic evidence (hear that Ike?) to get big time divorce settlements on top of it.  Financial devastation, shame, etc.  Leper colony enabled. Maybe just play golf at one of Trump's clubs.

:lmao:  

Reminds me of the movie Liar, Liar when a client calls for legal advice, "You want legal advice? Stop breaking the law!"

it's pretty nutty
Before IPhone pictures and vids, tweets,and social media, players and coaches were somewhat safe and protected unless they got a DUI or arrested for assault. So to read about these stories is actually more entertaining than hearing about them the next day.

Before IPhone pictures and vids, tweets,and social media, players and coaches were somewhat safe and protected unless they got a DUI or arrested for assault. So to read about these stories is actually more entertaining than hearing about them the next day.
I think back in the day, many cops also protected athletes and kept them out of the news when they screwed up.

How long until this makes it down to the players?  Not long, I'd think.  
I was thinking about his today.

If you follow the sex harassment thread, there appears to be a pattern forming that it is older men being called out.  Not 100% but it appears a large majority.

I wonder if this has something to do with the fact the younger famous\powerful men don't need to harass combined with girls not taking as much offense when a younger guy does harass?

I was thinking about his today.

If you follow the sex harassment thread, there appears to be a pattern forming that it is older men being called out.  Not 100% but it appears a large majority.

I wonder if this has something to do with the fact the younger famous\powerful men don't need to harass combined with girls not taking as much offense when a younger guy does harass?
There might be something to it.  We shall see but I highly doubt a bunch of testosterone filled maniacs keep their hands to themselves all the time.  All it takes is one wrong move on a girl who isn't interested.   

Not difficult for me to believe a bunch of old pro jocks would be harassing women they work with. If the allegations are true, should be pretty easy to prove (as it sounds like it was several people involved and it happened often over an extended period of time). I would think other people around there had to have seen this happening. At least, some of it. If most of the accused indeed were sending inappropriate stuff to her phone, should be pretty easy for her to back up her claims and these guys should all get punished accordingly.

All that said, I have a feeling there's more to this story. Maybe I am awful for it, but I am with RJS113 in being pretty surprised she was not younger and hotter when I saw the pics of this woman. When I saw the headline and started reading the allegations, I fully expected to see pics of some little smokeshow they had working there basically because she was a smokeshow.
It doesn't have to be about hotness; it's about proximity and power. She's around them all the time with wardrobe and whatnot, she's not ugly and these guys want to show themselves they've still got the ability to pull in tail. They've still got the alpha male mentality that women are objects - I mean, the one guy says, "You were put here to pleasure me!" :X  

It doesn't have to be about hotness; it's about proximity and power. She's around them all the time with wardrobe and whatnot, she's not ugly and these guys want to show themselves they've still got the ability to pull in tail. They've still got the alpha male mentality that women are objects - I mean, the one guy says, "You were put here to pleasure me!" :X  
I get that there can be/likely is more to it than just looks in cases of sexual harassment. After reading this particular story/allegations and considering who all is involved, my suspicion is there is quite a bit more to the story than what has come out so far. I could be wrong on that, and (if it turns out I am) I will probably owe her an apology. No problem with that.

Users who are viewing this thread