What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Should I just quit Fantasy Football? (1 Viewer)

AZWldctFan

Footballguy
12 team PPR league and I used the Draft Dominator to draft my team this year....  We play 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 Kicker, 1 Defense, 1 RB/WR/TE FLEX ...   I got the 7th pick in the league.  Drafted about 10 days before the start of the season.

Currently in last place and no hope to get better.  Team completely sucks.  Drafted RB with 4 of my first 4 picks and somehow don't have any good, healthy RBs.  Been playing this game for 20 years and have never seen a disaster of a team like this.

Here was the "Rate my Team" writeup from the Fantasy guys after the draft:

<<

Overview:

We think you're looking good at quarterback and running back. Your squad is therefore easy for us to like despite a bit of weakness at the receiver position. But as weaknesses go, this is one is survivable. It's usually relatively easy to find fill-in guys on a weekly basis until a better player emerges during the season. As long as you stay on top of things inseason, you should be the league favorite or very close to it.

Players we particularly like on this team include Drew Brees, Leonard Fournette, Jared Goff, Robby Anderson, Derrick Henry, Sterling Shepard, the Vikings defense, and the Ravens defense. We have all these guys ranked ahead of where they are typically being drafted.

Bottom line:

With great inseason management, we think you have about a 99 percent chance of making the playoffs.

With good inseason management, we think you have about a 90 percent chance of making the playoffs.

With average inseason management, we think you have a 83 percent chance of making the playoffs.

>>

So, here is that team!!!!!!!

1. Leonard Fournette  (Saquon Barkley before me, Alvin Kamara after me)     BUST.  Has played 2 games and left both games early.  Hurt the rest of the games.

2. Devonta Freeman (Michael Thomas before me, AJ Green after me)    BUST.  Played 2 games and stunk in both, hurt every other game.

3. Derrick Henry (Mike Evans before me, TY Hilton after me)    BUST.  Healthy and horrible.

4. Jay Ajayi (Doug Baldwin before me, Zach Ertz after me)     BUST.  Was good in week 1 on my bench and then hurt and now gone for season.

5. Drew Brees (Duke Johnson before me, Marshawn Lynch after me)   He is good.

6. Evan Engram (Delanie Walker before me, Cam Newton after me)   BUST.  Hurt every week.

7. Michael Crabtree (CJ Anderson before me, Jacksonville after me)   BUST, catch or score anymore.

8. Robby Anderson (Kerryon Johnson before me, Chris Thompson after me)   WHO KNOWS.

9. Jamison Crowder (Cooper Kupp before me, Aaron Jones after me)   BUST.  He gets like 3 catches a game from Alex Smith checkdowns instead of the 8 he was supposed to get.

10. Minnesota Vikings (Kirk Cousins before me, Los Angeles Rams after me)   BUST.  They stink this year.

11. Stephen Gostkowski (Will Fuller V before me, Kenny Stills after me)     Who cares

12. Dez Bryant (Tyler Lockett before me, Theo Riddick after me)             Drafted this guy because I knew my WRs were weak and hoped for a boost.  Still waiting.

13. Jared Goff (Jake Elliott before me, Marcus Mariota after me)        Great pick  Too bad he was on the bench when he scored 90 points.

14. Sterling Shepard (Nick Chubb before me, Samje Perine after me)       BLEH

15. Baltimore Ravens (Blake Bortles before me, Mike Williams after me)     These guys are decent

16. O.J. Howard (Matt Prater before me, Jared Cook after me)            Hurt all the time

I think this is how a lot of people end up doing upside down drafting (the opposite of your approach). It's very effective and I highly recommend it. Obviously that won't help you this year but going forward something to consider. Tough break this year though

They can't forecast injuries. No one can. They have to forecast what the players should do. The only one they really screwed up on was Henry-as did everyone else in the fantasy world.

You can't predict injury luck.....although Fournette and Freeman have big injury histories so it isn't a huge surprise they are injured.  Remember this is also supposed to be fun.....I have never used the Draft Dominator for an actual draft (but have used it for mocks) or really anything like it because then it seems like somebody else is just drafting my team.  I take that information and come up with my own draft sheets and make my own rankings.  I think too many people rely on cheat sheets or draft dominator type applications and end up drafting somebody elses team and then get mad when it doesn't pan out.  I much prefer making my own choices and living with it accordingly. 

I just laughed. I'm in the same boat, maybe not quite as bad:

Zeke (good)

Cook (FML)

Russell Wilson (2QB league, like 8th QB drafted but still - sucksville)

Landry (just traded)

Marvin Jones Jr (dropped)

Mahomes (awesome, but had to trade to cover for deficiencies at WR)

Edelman (not really worth the wait)

Reed (held back by crap offense/QB)

Chubb (dropped)

DJ Moore (dropped)

Baltimore (dropped after week 2)

Anthony Miller (dropped)

it got worse from there. I'm in ninth place. Quitting fantasy doesn't sound so bad. But WTF else would we do with our downtime all fall? read? improve ourselves? Nah....

I think this is how a lot of people end up doing upside down drafting (the opposite of your approach). It's very effective and I highly recommend it. Obviously that won't help you this year but going forward something to consider. Tough break this year though
Upside down drafting.  What does that mean?  Take a kicker in the first round ?  lol  I'd probably be in better shape.  

This isn't new.  My #1 pick has been a bust like 4 years in a row. 

Fournette this year.  

Last year David Johnson who I lost in game 1 for the season.

Year before that I had Toddy Gurley the 1 NFL season he was horrible.

Year before that I had Adrian Peterson when he missed the entire season for switches.

I'm on a roll.

Upside down drafting.  What does that mean?  Take a kicker in the first round ?  lol  I'd probably be in better shape.  

Fournette this year.  

Year before that I had Adrian Peterson when he missed the entire season for switches.

I'm on a roll.
You are getting me laughing.  I have two redraft teams that have no chance. NONE-NADA-!   A lot of players you mentioned.  Makes me feel better when someone conveys their misery that I'm feeling in a few leagues.

Fournette this year.  

I'm on a roll.
Read some of the threads in the Shark Pool.  You will feel better.  You are not alone.  Welcome aboard.

Jason Moore of the Fantasy Footballers is a professional fantasy analyst.  In their "league of record" he had multiple first and multiple second round picks (due to trades made the previous season when he tanked).  Before week 1 this looked like the greatest fantasy team of all time.  I believe he is currently 0-5 in that league.

https://twitter.com/jasonffl/status/1033559178181140480?lang=en

QB - Russell Wilson
RB - David Johnson
RB - Devonta Freeman
RB - Dalvin Cook
RB - Sony Michel (who has since been traded away the day before Burkhead got put on IR)
RB - Jamaal Williams
WR - Keenan Allen
WR - Michael Thomas
WR - Randall Cobb
WR - Dede Westbrook
WR - Amari Cooper
TE - Trey Burton
DST - LA Rams
K - Justin Tucker

Fantasy Football is a mixture of luck and skill.  The best team I ever had was my second year of FF.  I was DESTROYING people week after week.  Nine players on my team went in the first or second round the following year (we only started nine total, including K and DST - so I had legit second round players sitting on my bench, just because I didn't have enough roster spots to use them).  I lost in the first round of the playoffs that year.

Fournette this year.  

I'm on a roll
Not quite. It's where you draft zero RB's in the first 4 or 5 rounds (the strategy is also known as zero-RB). The idea is that you are dominant in other consistent positions and you reap the benefits while other teams suffer the same fate you did with "good" RB's. Then all of your sleeper and backup RB's are starters and off to the championship you go!

My league has been going on for 7 years and I am about to set the record for lowest weekly score ever.  This is a league where you get points for sneezing, and none of these guys could catch a cold.  #(*@*S this game!!!!!!  I'm League Commissioner, I should have better karma than this!

Boxscore: Starters Only

Boxscore: Starters & Bench

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread