What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Silva Mock (1 Viewer)

It's not like they can just snap their fingers and make this happen. Who out there wants to move up and pay that #1 price?
It is virtually certain that the new CBA will include a rookie wage scale. The price for #1 will likely be far lower than it has been.

Mallett's not the type of QB I'd be looking for in the NFL, IMO. He's not very athletic:

Ryan Mallett runs 5.37 forty time at Pro DayPosted by Evan Silva on March 8, 2011, 1:24 PM ESTQuarterback Ryan Mallett ran a 5.37 forty-yard dash time at the Arkansas Razorbacks’ Pro Day on Tuesday.Mallett was the only quarterback to not run at last week’s Scouting Combine, and we now know why.He’s lineman-slow.While forty times and similar measurables have no known correlation to NFL success, Mallett’s Pro Day performance confirms the belief that he’s a below-average athlete. Mallett’s other measurables from Tuesday: 26-inch vertical and 8-foot, 7 1/4-inch broad jump at 6-foot-7 and 247 pounds.He’s lost six pounds since the Combine.Among the quarterbacks timed in Indianapolis, Mallett’s forty would’ve ranked 18th of 18. His broad jump would’ve ranked 16th of the 17 signal callers to participate in that measurement, and his vertical would rank 16th of 17 as well.
I wonder how much speed really affects a qb. They certainly need to be able to move around in the pocket, but I'm not sure a 40 time means much. It's not like people were expecting him to be the next Vick.
Bledsoe was a statue and carved out a nice career for himself.
And at the end of Bledsoe's career there was a TON of talk about how a QB like him just can't survive in today's NFL anymore. Bledsoe could still read a defense and sling the ball when he retired, but he couldn't avoid a pass rush to save his life. Say what you want about Brady and Manning, but they both are fairly nimble in the pocket and can move and reset quickly to avoid pressure. That doesn't mean that Mallet will be a failure and that Newton will succeed, but I think the odds are much more in favor of a guy like Newton than a guy like Mallet in today's NFL.
A QB can be slow, and still avoid the pressure. Look at tape of Brady's 40 at the combine. He looks like a mentally challenged giraffe. I have no idea if Mallett can or cannot, but a 40 time isn't going to tell me the answer.
Good God, what was Marino's 40 time? Yet the guy was a master at avoiding pressure and delivering the ball. It wasn't just his release. If the guy has good feet and feels pressure, he doesn't have to own a fast 40 time.

It's not like they can just snap their fingers and make this happen. Who out there wants to move up and pay that #1 price?
It is virtually certain that the new CBA will include a rookie wage scale. The price for #1 will likely be far lower than it has been.
But the price in picks to the team trading up for the #1 remains. And teams won't be willing to give up a good player in the 2nd just to ensure getting a question mark at #1.

But the price in picks to the team trading up for the #1 remains. And teams won't be willing to give up a good player in the 2nd just to ensure getting a question mark at #1.
True, I may have misunderstood what James meant by "price".

Yes.But then again, there is no new CBA yet. So.....And, the pick values still remain relative.

Last edited by a moderator:
True, I may have misunderstood what James meant by "price".
Ah. I don't think he was talking about what it would cost the team in terms of dollars.But you do raise an interesting point. If there is a rookie wage scale (and I hope there is) then teams might not be as reluctant to move up to that #1 since the financial hit is lessened.

'JamesTheScot said:
Mallett's not the type of QB I'd be looking for in the NFL, IMO. He's not very athletic:

Ryan Mallett runs 5.37 forty time at Pro DayPosted by Evan Silva on March 8, 2011, 1:24 PM ESTQuarterback Ryan Mallett ran a 5.37 forty-yard dash time at the Arkansas Razorbacks’ Pro Day on Tuesday.Mallett was the only quarterback to not run at last week’s Scouting Combine, and we now know why.He’s lineman-slow.While forty times and similar measurables have no known correlation to NFL success, Mallett’s Pro Day performance confirms the belief that he’s a below-average athlete. Mallett’s other measurables from Tuesday: 26-inch vertical and 8-foot, 7 1/4-inch broad jump at 6-foot-7 and 247 pounds.He’s lost six pounds since the Combine.Among the quarterbacks timed in Indianapolis, Mallett’s forty would’ve ranked 18th of 18. His broad jump would’ve ranked 16th of the 17 signal callers to participate in that measurement, and his vertical would rank 16th of 17 as well.
I wonder how much speed really affects a qb. They certainly need to be able to move around in the pocket, but I'm not sure a 40 time means much. It's not like people were expecting him to be the next Vick.
Bledsoe was a statue and carved out a nice career for himself.
And at the end of Bledsoe's career there was a TON of talk about how a QB like him just can't survive in today's NFL anymore. Bledsoe could still read a defense and sling the ball when he retired, but he couldn't avoid a pass rush to save his life. Say what you want about Brady and Manning, but they both are fairly nimble in the pocket and can move and reset quickly to avoid pressure. That doesn't mean that Mallet will be a failure and that Newton will succeed, but I think the odds are much more in favor of a guy like Newton than a guy like Mallet in today's NFL.
A QB can be slow, and still avoid the pressure. Look at tape of Brady's 40 at the combine. He looks like a mentally challenged giraffe. I have no idea if Mallett can or cannot, but a 40 time isn't going to tell me the answer.
Good God, what was Marino's 40 time? Yet the guy was a master at avoiding pressure and delivering the ball. It wasn't just his release. If the guy has good feet and feels pressure, he doesn't have to own a fast 40 time.
From what I've seen of Mallet (only a few games), he doesn't move around in the pocket well. He's not good at avoiding pressure. In the Ohio St. game, for example, it seemed that every time he was pressured he was either sacked or made a poor throw.

Users who are viewing this thread